Beaver Island Michigan (in Lake Michigan)

Subscribe
anyone been?

I can imagine that it is not as hectic as Mackinac is during the summer as Beaver Island seems to be a bit harder to get to.

It has some interesting history: http://beaverisland.net/history/

--
Unlike Mackinac Island, you can actually bring your car over and drive on Beaver Island. If you are looking for an island get away that is less hectic, also check out the Manitou islands off of the Leelanau. Both are beautiful with plenty of nice trails.
The "Beaver Islander" ferry that runs out of Charlevoix is the only option. My understanding is that except for a few B&Bs, the island does not have much tourism. Mostly privately owned cottages and permanent residents.
I haven't been out to the island, but Charlevoix and Petoskey are cute little towns, and there is a great Renaissance Resort between the two.
Quote: ...also check out the Manitou islands off of the Leelanau. Both are beautiful with plenty of nice trails.
always was curious about those islands as well. We have friends on Beaver Island that have invited a large group to come this summer.

Quote: The "Beaver Islander" ferry that runs out of Charlevoix is the only option. My understanding is that except for a few B&Bs, the island does not have much tourism. Mostly privately owned cottages and permanent residents.
to get one's car to Beaver Island correct, I did find a number of charter airline companies as well (most based in Charlevoix).

My hope is that a number of other Chicago based folks are going to this so perhaps an air charter directly from Chicago to Beaver Island can be cost effective as I'd prefer not to drive during the summer "up the coast", although it is a very beautiful coast.
Quote: always was curious about those islands as well. We have friends on Beaver Island that have invited a large group to come this summer.

to get one's car to Beaver Island correct, I did find a number of charter airline companies as well (most based in Charlevoix).

My hope is that a number of other Chicago based folks are going to this so perhaps an air charter directly from Chicago to Beaver Island can be cost effective as I'd prefer not to drive during the summer "up the coast", although it is a very beautiful coast.
Once you get out of Chicago, it's an easy drive .. one alternative is to take one of the ferries from Wisc.

Bob h