Any Experience with Pets on KLM? Stockholm to SFO

Subscribe
Hi everyone!

I will be moving from Stockholm to San Francisco in April, and will be bringing my 10lb chihuahua mix on board with me on KLM. I'd love to hear from anyone who has flown internationally with a pet with KLM- did they let you put the carrier in your lap, or did it have to remain on the floor? Do you remember if you could take your pet out in the terminal at Schipol in Amsterdam during layovers? This is a LOOOOOOONG flight so actually any tips about keeping dogs relaxed and happy on long trips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!
Welcome to FT, Maya!

We have found that a good doggy carrier makes life a lot easier for us and our dog. We use a Jet Set carrier which has openings on both sides; can be used as a shoulder bag, tote bag, or backpack; and mesh on the sides to keep it relatively cool (but which can be covered if you want added discretion as you go around the terminal). You can also use it as a car restraint device with a seat belt and keeping one of the ends opeen. When we got it, we got our dog used to it over several days, increasing the amount of time he spent in it (sometimes carrying him around the house as we cleaned or did laundry to have unexpected movements; sometimes leaving him by our feet) and always praising him when he came out. He absolutely loves his carrier now and begs to go in it as he knows that fun is coming!

I suggest you get a carrier you like and get your Chihuahua used to it ahead of the flight so it's not new/scary and your Chihuahua knows to expect fun when you (finally) land in SFO.
Another excellent carrier is the Ultimate Pet Carrier from Sherpa.
http://www.sherpapet.com/page.asp?id...0Pet%20Carrier
I have been using one for years and it is extremely durable. It also has flaps that fold down. There are mesh panels for ventilation and also top & side entry for your little guy.

As for putting the dog on your lap. As long as the dog is kept inside the bag while you do this nobody should complain. I have placed my Sherpa bag on my lap during long flights but always asked the passenger in the next seat for permission first. You are not permitted to take the dog out of the bag while on the plane.
Quote: Another excellent carrier is the Ultimate Pet Carrier from Sherpa.
http://www.sherpapet.com/page.asp?id...0Pet%20Carrier
I have been using one for years and it is extremely durable. It also has flaps that fold down. There are mesh panels for ventilation and also top & side entry for your little guy.

As for putting the dog on your lap. As long as the dog is kept inside the bag while you do this nobody should complain. I have placed my Sherpa bag on my lap during long flights but always asked the passenger in the next seat for permission first. You are not permitted to take the dog out of the bag while on the plane.
I have seen First Class Pax on AF routinely let their dogs out of their carriers in flight. The pooches would sit quietly in the lap of their owner. The FA's not only turned a blind eye, but would give a little pat and scratch on the head while en route. In my experience, the FA's on AF have tended to be the most lenient re: allowing the pooch out of the carrier (premium cabin). Then again, dogs are so welcome in French restaurants, thus this is not a complete surprise.
Well darn that I did not book first class on AF then! Thanks so much for all of your help. I have a carrier already that was well recommended (the Sturdibag) but I will definitely post again here afterwards and let you know how it went. I would love any more tips on dog entertainment if anyone has any.

Thanks again!
Hi maya

What sturdibag did you get? I recently got the large sturdibag from a friend for my 2.5 kg chihuahua. I am worried that it will be to big for my dog and for flying in general. I am also planing on flying from Stockholm to the States and I am open for all tips and suggestions.

Best regards
I have flown KLM with my Yorkie. He's a very quiet little guy, so no one noticed he was actually in my lap under the blanket. I even snuck him into the bathroom so he could use a wee-wee pad (long flight LAX to Amsterdam), and then we snuck back. They're great about dogs. Hope you have a good trip.