Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold
New Platinum Card: To-Do List

First time AMEX card holder, and I sprang for the Platinum. I'm trying to compile a list of things to do to get set up:

1. Sign up for Hertz, Avis, and National premium accounts
2. Print out list of participating airport lounges
3. Start carefully accounting for new purchases, in case of loss/damage
4. Anything else....?

I'm supposed to get 25K points if I spend $1000 in three months. Rules say: "To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First® program at the time of purchase". Do I need to do anything to enroll?

Last edited by Come Fry With Me; Jan 21, 2010 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Print out a list of airport lounges? What for? It's pretty simple: If you're flying Delta/NW, American, Continental or U.S. Airways, go to one of their lounges with your boarding pass, card, ID. Just remember the 4 airlines.

One of the better benefits (relatively) is Gold Status with Starwood. Call Starwood and give them the promo code to be upgraded to Gold. This benefit is what turned me on to to Starwood Preferred Guest, and I've been loyal ever since (and Platinum).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
One more thing to add to your "to do list": Convert to Premier Rewards Gold Card.

How can you resist 2X points on gas, household stuff, and 3X points on airfare? When I called to 'downgrade' after they came out with it, as that's a lot of points on an annual basis to be giving up for mediocre FHR benefits, the rep said they have pretty much been deluged with people switching from other cards.

Not sure how long Amex can afford to pay 3X rewards points as the base rate like that, and still have that product make money. Hell, I've already booked my next 10 flights, and am happy as a clam. I'm sure it will get watered down eventually, but I will taking full advantage of it for as long as it lasts in the meantime.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
If you're flying Delta/NW, American, Continental or U.S. Airways, .
You cannot use the Platinum Card for lounge access when flying US Airways, only AA, CO, or DL/NW.

https://www217.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

Last edited by mia; Jan 21, 2010 at 7:00 am Reason: Add link to lounge directory
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all.

I'm not currently in any Starwood program. So the thing to do is sign up for a membership in their frequent stay club, then upgrade to gold? (are there any other sign-up tasks, aside from the aforementioned car rental clubs?)

Also, what is the diff between Starwood Preferred Guest (per andrewpartyman) and the Premier Rewards Gold Card (per chriswufgator)? Are they both credit cards?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:42 am
mia

Originally Posted by Come Fry With Me
...what is the diff between Starwood Preferred Guest ... and the Premier Rewards Gold Card
Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) is the frequent guest program of Starwood hotels. The American Express Platinum Card entitles you to Gold elite status in SPG, which is explained here...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/index.html

American Express does issue a SPG credit card, which earn Starpoints rather than Membership Rewards points, but you can participate and benefit without holding that card.

American Express Premier Rewards Gold is a charge card, same as your Platinum card. It does not include airline lounge access, Fine Hotels & Resorts, and some other benefits of the Platinum Card, but it carries a lower annual fee ($175 vs $450) which is waived for the first year, and it earns more Membership Rewards points per dollar in some categories. Some consider it better value than the Platinum card.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...r-Rewards-Gold
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
My bad for mentioning US Airways, sometimes my fantasies carry over to my postings. If anything, airport lounge access is the singular best benefit of the Amex Plat card. I couldn't imagine life without it.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG PLT, AMEX PLT
not exactly "setup", but something else that you might want to do is to put the platinum concierge phone # in your cell phone address book... platinum travel service too i guess (although there is the website now, americanexpressfhr.com)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigbootch
not exactly "setup", but something else that you might want to do is to put the platinum concierge phone # in your cell phone address book... platinum travel service too i guess (although there is the website now, americanexpressfhr.com)
Yup, thanks, also starwood gold reservations.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
This isn't something you need to do or set up but if you travel frequently and stay at high end hotels I would say you should familiarize yourself with the FHR (Fine Hotels and Resorts) program offered with the Plat. AMEX.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K, AMEX Plat, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Gold
Don't forget to shift the bills that you can to your AMEX such as cell phone, cable, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by hopscotch1
Don't forget to shift the bills that you can to your AMEX such as cell phone, cable, etc.
I would recommend not setting up things to be auto-charged to your card.

AMEX will side with the merchant over you in a dispute. You cannot remove the auto-charge unless the company taking the money agrees.

Last edited by drwilliams; Jan 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:59 pm
mia

Originally Posted by drwilliams
You cannot remove the auto-charge unless the company taking the money agrees.
Do you mean you were not able to cancel an automatic charge arrangement -or- do you mean you were unable to dispute a specific charge from a series preauthorized series?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean you were not able to cancel an automatic charge arrangement -or- do you mean you were unable to dispute a specific charge from a series preauthorized series?
I was not able to cancel. It was not a dispute over previous charges, but a desire to not allow future charges. Was told by AMEX they could not stop the upcoming charges. I mentioned then the only way to get out of the autocharge was to close my account and would consider that option. Centurion application showed up the next week or so. Hardly an olive branch, give us $7500 and we can make nice.

You can call each month and pay your bill, that way the merchant has to negotiate in good faith if there is an issue, knowing payment is conditional on them fixing the problem for you.

Last edited by drwilliams; Jan 23, 2010 at 5:59 am Reason: large thumbs, small blackberry keys
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:10 am
mia

Originally Posted by drwilliams
...desire to not allow future charges...
Canadian merchant and Canadian Amex account? This might be a difference in US vs Canadian legislation. In the US I've never had trouble disputing a charge if a merchant continued to bill after I instructed the merchant to cancel a recurring charge. Some card issuers even list this reason on their prepared dispute form, but I cannot say for certain that American Express does so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.