Will never understand CC companies…Denied…?

Subscribe
Will never understand CC companies…Denied…?

Got approved for the Delta Plat AMEX… and I have very little credit history with AMEX. Got denied (Too few satisfactory credit reference were recorded on your credit bureau report.) for the Citi Plat AAvantage Master Card, and I have had a CitiBank Visa for 5 years, over avg $40k per year and never NOT paid in full or late.

So it makes more sense… I am 25 years old.

5 Years ago when I went to take out my 1st credit card under my own name CitiBank Plat Dividend they said sure, here you go $8k credit line and I had no history with them. At the same time AMEX on the other hand who I have/had a green Amex under my parents account for 3 years and probably put $15k per year said… we won’t give you the Blue Cash card… but here is a Blue College card with no rewards…. So I never used it and like a year ago they closed it for me.

I got the Delta card which is the one I really wanted so I can get Medallion status this year…. But I want the AAdvantage b\c I already have 40k miles from actual flying and I want to work towards the Million Miles and when I fly with either of my parents they fly AA due to Gold status…

Should I call CitiCard and tell them I am basically going to stop using my $50k per year CashBack card I have with them and want the AAdvantage? Or should I wait a month or two, charge a bunch on my new Delta Plat Amex and then just reapply?

Thanks
I would call and ask for reconsideration. It sounds like you got caught up in the "one Citi card" per individual routine.

If nothing else, ask if they will convert your current card to the AAdvantage card.
Quote: CitiBank Visa for 5 years, over avg $40k per year
I am 25 years old.
.... put $15k per year said…

That's a lot of spending for a 20-25 year old.... anyways, your age isn't a factor in the credit analysis. In addition, it sounds like you have good enough credit history to have gotten approvals from Citi and AMEX.

Write a reconsideration letter, and they might approve.
Yea going to write then a letter.
Do you have an income that supports that level of charging?
Online denials come from a machine, and you already have the inquiry on your reports, so I would write a recon letter with any information you feel would change an underwriter's mind. This could be explaining any negative information on your reports, your source and possibly verification of income, etc.
Quote: Do you have an income that supports that level of charging?
$xxK in salary... you tell me...? I guess i should have included income from 3 properties in Miami FL..? Or is $xx enough? I put away/invest more then 25% per year, so personally I believe I do but my opinion does not count...
Quote: Online denials come from a machine, and you already have the inquiry on your reports, so I would write a recon letter with any information you feel would change an underwriter's mind. This could be explaining any negative information on your reports, your source and possibly verification of income, etc.
For the Delta card I got the approval in less then 1 minute so i figured they did not even pull my credit report. I applied for the AAdvantage on Wed @ 7pm and got a response at 3am Friday...

Thanks.
I would be amazed if Amex had not pulled your credit report before granting a Delta card.

It doesn't take more than a second. This is the computer age.

Check your credit reports and let us know if there really was no pull. That would be very, very interesting.
Quote: For the Delta card I got the approval in less then 1 minute so i figured they did not even pull my credit report. I applied for the AAdvantage on Wed @ 7pm and got a response at 3am Friday...

Thanks.
If you applied for a new Delta card I guarantee you had a hard pull, most likely from Experian.
Quote: I would be amazed if Amex had not pulled your credit report before granting a Delta card.

It doesn't take more than a second. This is the computer age.

Check your credit reports and let us know if there really was no pull. That would be very, very interesting.
Will do, going to have to report back because I was not able to get the instant credit report from Experian...
Quote: Will do, going to have to report back because I was not able to get the instant credit report from Experian...
You get a free report each year from www.annualcreditreport.com .

You can also, for a fee, check your credit report at credit secure, an amex product, or www.creditchecktotal.com and others. If you're looking for fico scores, go to www.myfico.com .
Yup, i checked and both AMEX and CITI ran my credit report that same night...

So for the "Too few satisfactory credit reference were recorded on your credit bureau report." as the denial reason... should i send a letter asking for reconsideration or wait a month and now that i have the Delta card... i may have enough credit reference?

Dont have anything negative on my report, everything paid and never late.

Will going to myfico.com and getting a report there negatively affect my credit/score?
Quote: Will going to myfico.com and getting a report there negatively affect my credit/score?
It will have zero impact, as it will generate a "soft" inquiry.
Quote: Will going to myfico.com and getting a report there negatively affect my credit/score?
Checking myfico will not hurt your score at all, nor will any of the other legit sites to check your own reports. They are all "soft pulls". It's the "hard pulls" that could hurt your scores, like the ones from Amex and Citi.