Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Pinser555
My booking on US air is technically illegal (has a stopover and an open jaw). My question is do I risk calling them to rebook flights, and have then cancel my booking as its "illegal"
That's always a risk when you have an illegal routing... YMMV...

or do my best to try and make the connection, and when I don't have LH rebook me as they "caused the missed connection"
But I guess, this time, you still might be happy:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.4 / Availability/FS/US]
Code:
MLA  Malta Luqa MT [LMML]
YYZ  Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl ON CA [CYYZ]
SAT  28 Dec 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
LH         1277    MLA   13:20     FRA   16:10     321      J9 C9 D9 Z9 P8 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 G0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 E0 L0 K0
 -> LH/AC  6780    FRA   17:00     YYZ   19:25     77W      J4 C4 D4 Z4 P4 Y4 B4 M4 U4 H4 Q4 V4 W4 S4 T4 L4 K4
[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.4 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: FRA/LH-AC]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         FRA                          045 045 045 045  
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
I had a schedule change on my itinerary that results in an illegal connection in FRA (and probably impossible at 50min). My booking on US air is technically illegal (has a stopover and an open jaw). My question is do I risk calling them to rebook flights, and have then cancel my booking as its "illegal" or do my best to try and make the connection, and when I don't have LH rebook me as they "caused the missed connection"

Thanks for your help.

Flight is 12/28/13 MLA-FRA (arrive 4:10p) on LH, then FRA-YYZ (depart 5pm) on AC. All in J.
I've done 45 min II connection there (AFAIK FRA MCT is 45 min, so your 50 minutes are OK). Even managed to visit a lounge for a drink.

So unless your first flight is late, it's doable. If it is late, you'll be rebooked. No need to call and risk your itin IMHO.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by elva
I've done 45 min II connection there (AFAIK FRA MCT is 45 min, so your 50 minutes are OK). Even managed to visit a lounge for a drink.

So unless your first flight is late, it's doable. If it is late, you'll be rebooked. No need to call and risk your itin IMHO.
Thanks! I'll make sure I'm wearing my running shoes and make friends with passport control, lol. Were you flying intra-EU and able to avoid passport control?

I was leaning on not calling as my hotels are all paid for at this point and don't want to jeopardize the routing. The only other option I was considering, is contacting LH (or stopping by the desk while in transit on an earlier leg) after my itinerary has commenced in hopes they could change my routing to arrive at FRA earlier. I know there is a routing through MLA-Muncih-FRA that arrives earlier.

Any thoughts on that tactic?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thanks! I'll make sure I'm wearing my running shoes and make friends with passport control, lol. Were you flying intra-EU and able to avoid passport control?

I was leaning on not calling as my hotels are all paid for at this point and don't want to jeopardize the routing. The only other option I was considering, is contacting LH (or stopping by the desk while in transit on an earlier leg) after my itinerary has commenced in hopes they could change my routing to arrive at FRA earlier. I know there is a routing through MLA-Muncih-FRA that arrives earlier.

Any thoughts on that tactic?
LH will not touch a 037 award ticket absent IRROPS.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
LH will not touch a 037 award ticket absent IRROPS.
Take the above to the bank.

Absent a family emergency, death (yes the LH station manager did change for a family death for us) they will not change an 037.

That ticket stock is loathsome to LH.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 pm

I'm trying to book a North Asia award to Hong Kong from North America. Problem is I'm trying to fly out of small regional airport served by United Express. I see availability on United, Expert Flyer, and Aeroplan. Heck even Lifemiles shows availability. But, whenever I call US airways they don't see anything. Can you not book United express flights using US Airways?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by miko2a
I'm trying to book a North Asia award to Hong Kong from North America. Problem is I'm trying to fly out of small regional airport served by United Express. I see availability on United, Expert Flyer, and Aeroplan. Heck even Lifemiles shows availability. But, whenever I call US airways they don't see anything. Can you not book United express flights using US Airways?
it is possible to book united express (although my last flight a couple months ago was something like 'operated by pinnacle on behalf of chiqatua, on behalf of united express on behalf of united'... I was totally confused! )
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it is possible to book united express (although my last flight a couple months ago was something like 'operated by pinnacle on behalf of chiqatua, on behalf of united express on behalf of united'... I was totally confused! )
I guess I'll try back tomorrow. Have tried given flight numbers and they say we can't see anything. Have to say everyone I've dealt with has been very nice. Down to offering me a flight to Bkk via ICN from another airport. I'm trying to get to HKG
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
90k luvin

Was helping to book for a family member.. I was ready to expend 120k
for business class:

SFO-TPE-SGN-TPE-SFO

Was told 90k and couldnt stop grinning. instead of holding the ticket for 72hrs, I went ahead and ticketed

What a steal.
Wanted to share this in case others needed some light at the end of the tunnel

award miles god was with me tonight. Wahoo!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:47 am

When does Austrian or Swiss or Turkish open up availability for their respective VIE-NRT/ZRH-PEK/IST-PEK legs?

Looking to travel on one of those for next July, but haven't seen anything yet for 3. Usually there's good availability on Swiss, so this is surprising.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:57 am

Ticketed

PVG-ICN-JFK-CLT-ATL//LAX-PEK-PVG

120k miles + $56 in tax.

Stoked to try Asiana Suites, and do enjoy CA F on their 77W.

Doing another roundtrip in the middle of this itinerary back to China, but in paid Air Canada (coach). Anyone have any experience in Air Canada economy on their 77W. I'm quite tall so debating whether to pay the $120 per segment for the exit row. I think its a sure fire yes, but its the low season so maybe I should hold out for an empty row.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Speedis1
Was helping to book for a family member.. I was ready to expend 120k
for business class:

SFO-TPE-SGN-TPE-SFO

Was told 90k and couldnt stop grinning. instead of holding the ticket for 72hrs, I went ahead and ticketed

What a steal.
Wanted to share this in case others needed some light at the end of the tunnel

award miles god was with me tonight. Wahoo!
How would that be possible? SGN is in Vietnam, which is considered to be South Central Asia and the mileage award chart shows 120K for the region. As a matter of fact, it costed me 120K for SFO-ICN-SGN-ICN-SFO.

BTW, which partner airlines are involved here via TPE? I may cancel my existing booking (no cancellation fees involved for me here) and to rebook using your route.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Originally Posted by longnguk
How would that be possible? SGN is in Vietnam, which is considered to be South Central Asia and the mileage award chart shows 120K for the region. As a matter of fact, it costed me 120K for SFO-ICN-SGN-ICN-SFO.

BTW, which partner airlines are involved here via TPE? I may cancel my existing booking (no cancellation fees involved for me here) and to rebook using your route.
LOL... How would that be possible was my EXACT reaction!! I think the agent may have thought that SGN was a small city in TPE or something perhaps?

All I know is I confirmed my account and ticket - they are ticketed and my account shows only 90k pulled.

For all legs, he is flying EVA, which has TONS of availability.

May have been discussed here, but one thing I learned is that if you are flying out around 1AM (late evening) , make sure you ask them to check the night before - aka...they list the 1am sometimes on the day prior for availability.

Good luck!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
When does Austrian or Swiss or Turkish open up availability for their respective VIE-NRT/ZRH-PEK/IST-PEK legs?

Looking to travel on one of those for next July, but haven't seen anything yet for 3. Usually there's good availability on Swiss, so this is surprising.
AFAIK, LX and OS open their slot very close to departure (within 3 months). TK usually has more availability. But keep in mind July is heavy travel season.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by mediator
AFAIK, LX and OS open their slot very close to departure (within 3 months). TK usually has more availability. But keep in mind July is heavy travel season.
Thanks mediator, good to know. That may be a pickle if US decides to leave *A before April '14 which it appears it will do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.