Can you standby for an earlier flight?

Subscribe
So have a long layover, that I'm not so interested in anymore...can one standby for an earlier flight without paying the change fee? It's AMS-HAM...
They've put me on an earlier flight to BRS when flying back from YUL a few times with no charge, only with hand baggage though. If I'd had checked luggage I'd have had no chance
As a general rule, the concept of standing by for an earlier flight doesn't exist in Europe.

If you're on a flexible ticket you can change your reservation to a different flight.

If you're on a non-flexible ticket you have to travel as booked.

Very very occasionally, if they're feeling generous or if a later flight is overbooked, airlines may put you on an earlier flight if you ask them nicely - but it's rare.
I have never had a problem standing by for an earlier flight on KLM out of AMS. The lounge agents will never confirm me, but I just ask politely at the gate toward the end of boarding when the gate agents aren't so busy and have never had a problem getting on board the earlier flight. A couple of times this year, the gate agent was worried there wouldn't be a meal for me, but I just explain I don't need one and they let me one. Coming from the US, it's unheard of to have a meal on 90 minute flight anyway!
On more than 10 occasions this year on intra-european fights ex ams, i took the earlier same day flight. I was ALWAYS charged!

1. change fee according ticket rules
2. admin fee
3. credit card fee.

or simply not allowed at all. so I had to buy new ticket.

Mainly travel on E/Q/H classes.

So I am very very surprised that you are able to standby for earlier flight WITHOUT having to pay the change fee.

i always receive the standard klm answer: 1. sorry sir that is not possible or 2. the computer does not allow me. 3. we cannot start this practise.
Thanks...thankfully my plans have changed and won't be having this longer layover....I was worried I would continue to have the "It is not possible" mantra....
Quote: On more than 10 occasions this year on intra-european fights ex ams, i took the earlier same day flight. I was ALWAYS charged!

1. change fee according ticket rules
2. admin fee
3. credit card fee.

or simply not allowed at all. so I had to buy new ticket.

Mainly travel on E/Q/H classes.

So I am very very surprised that you are able to standby for earlier flight WITHOUT having to pay the change fee.

i always receive the standard klm answer: 1. sorry sir that is not possible or 2. the computer does not allow me. 3. we cannot start this practise.
That's what they always tell me at the lounge, but I guess I've been lucky at the gate. I've done it 5 times this year w/o a problem at the gate other than the gate agent's concern about catering. I'm not positive on fare classes, but I think 3 were on Z (discount paid business) and 2 were on upgraded from higher (but not refundable) coach fares.