Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How quickly do purchased upgrade stickers post?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
How quickly do purchased upgrade stickers post?

If we find out 24 hrs before that our upgrade has cleared, will we be able to purchase the 2 stickers we need and have them be available the next day? How about the same day? Just trying to save $5 each at the airport, and don't want to purchase them in advance in case we don't clear since we'll shortly be earning more.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If we find out 24 hrs before that our upgrade has cleared, will we be able to purchase the 2 stickers we need and have them be available the next day? How about the same day? Just trying to save $5 each at the airport, and don't want to purchase them in advance in case we don't clear since we'll shortly be earning more.
Although purchased upgrades won't show on AA.com the same day you purchase them (at least not in my experience), they become available for use approximately 2 hours after purchase.

BTW - you can also purchase them at the self-service kiosks for $30 (same as online). It's only $35/upgrade if the purchase is done via agent.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yup - about 2 hours seems to be the anecdotal evidence around here, if I recall correctly from other threads.

From AA.com website https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...&%20Conditions):

Upgrades purchased through American Airlines Reservations or AA.com require a minimum of 2 hours processing time to be deposited into your upgrade account.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Are these the same kiosks where you check in, right in front of the desk? I never noticed/looked for an upgrade sticker purchase option before. That would be perfect because last time we upgraded we didn't know until we got to the airport.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:15 am

Are these the same kiosks where you check in, right in front of the desk? I never noticed/looked for an upgrade sticker purchase option before. That would be perfect because last time we upgraded we didn't know until we got to the airport.
Yup - the same ones. There is an option to purchase upgrades.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:55 am
Original Poster

And just to double check - those stickers will then be available IMMEDIATELY to use on a just-cleared upgrade? They are not subject to the 2-hour rule?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:05 am

And just to double check - those stickers will then be available IMMEDIATELY to use on a just-cleared upgrade? They are not subject to the 2-hour rule?
That's correct.

Here's the pertinent link on AA.com... it should have answers to any remaining questions/doubts you may have:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...adedetails.jsp

*AAdvantage members checking in for an itinerary that requires additional 500-mile upgrades will now be able to purchase the needed upgrades and continue check-in at the Self-Service Check-In machine.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.