Certain look required for first class?

Subscribe
Just now I checked into my flight well 20 minutes ago. Normally I have no checked bags so no need to deal with anyone at the counter but today I am bringing with me a suit so I had to check the garment bag

anyway I am standing in the first class line waiting to be called on there was someone already at the counter. The agent yells to me that the regular line Is on the other side and then said regular passengers have to check in on the other side.

Confused I asked what? And he repeated that regular passengers like me use the other side.

I told him I was in first and he mumbled I didn't look like it. I ignored him because I know of I had said something it woulnt have ended nicely.

Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
For those curious I an dressed business casual not sloppy or bummy
Quote: Just now I checked into my flight well 20 minutes ago. Normally I have no checked bags so no need to deal with anyone at the counter but today I am bringing with me a suit so I had to check the garment bag

anyway I am standing in the first class line waiting to be called on there was someone already at the counter. The agent yells to me that the regular line Is on the other side and then said regular passengers have to check in on the other side.

Confused I asked what? And he repeated that regular passengers like me use the other side.

I told him I was in first and he mumbled I didn't look like it. I ignored him because I know of I had said something it woulnt have ended nicely.

Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
Which airport?
Quote: Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
Some seem to think so, it seems. I rarely have problems, but have encountered the occassional agent that chooses to make assumptions - never anything as rude as what you describe. The closest I came was when checking in for a WBC flight last year or the year before at BOS, when the person working the velvet rope was definitely a little snippy after I told her I was in the correct line.

I always wear jeans or shorts, so I certainly don't look the part.
I only tend to get this if I am in the larger airport. My little RDU, the agents know me already, but ATL and SEA I have had them look at me weird.
sounds like FLL
TW used to enclose "dress code requirements" with all Travel Agent award and discount tickets they issued.

For gentlemen in First or Business a coat and tie were mandatory. If a travel agent with a confirmed or space available agency discount fare ticket was not dressed in accordance with the guidelines, the gate agent could downgrade or even deny boarding. But I don't know of any cases where that occured.

But, like TW itself, I figured a dress codes for paying passengers is a thing of the past. And business casual should not attract any attention. The agent must have been having a bad day.
I get upgraded frequently and I'm ALWAYS ALWAYS in jeans and some type of nice t-shirt or pullover jersey and ALWAYS ALWAYS a baseball cap. I don't even OWN a suit!! That just amazes me what happened to you, but doesn't totally surprise me. These days, especially the way upgrades are doled out, they just shoudn't be doing that.

Quick story . . .

A number of years ago, I was flying CO MDW/EWR and I heard 2 people whispeing/mumbling about something at the gate. Once I was on board, I realized that the man snuck into 1st class with a Y seat assignment! When the seat count didn't match with the FA's manifest, the FA came to ME FIRST to ask to see my boarding pass!!! MAN, I was PO'd!! Needless to say that I was in the right seat!

I'm not sure what I would've done in your situation, but it sounds like you & I are of like mind as I have a feeling that a little bit of the inner davetravels' dragon may have come out at the GA!!

Answer to your question, wear WHATEVER you want!!
I'm at jfk flight 1511 to atl seat 4d

the dude twoseats in front of me in in a wife beater.

I always dress business casual when I'm flying because I feel regardless if your in first or not you should dress nicely.

If he didn't mumble what he did I probably wouldn't be as upset as I am right now
W@Dave I've done the ball cap jeans Mets nerdy few months ago when I followed the mets to san Fran flew first then too and didn't get treated like today maybe I should wear ball caps more often should of wore my Yankee gear
I just write down their name and the time/place of the incident if they seem condescending and fire it off on the website.

A simple "the regular line is over there" 1 time just seems like they are trying to protect the F line and I respect that. Repeating that after I state I'm in the right line or saying I don't look like I belong there gets a letter from me.
Quote: W@Dave I've done the ball cap jeans Mets nerdy few months ago when I followed the mets to san Fran flew first then too and didn't get treated like today maybe I should wear ball caps more often should of wore my Yankee gear

Dude,

There is no excuse for a sloppy appearance...I am sure your tee-shirt is full of holes and mustard stains from last week. if the DL TA assesses you to be "not fit for first class" then he/she must be right.

JUST KIDDING....You have the same attire as me and just about every REAL business traveler out there. The folks in Suits typically have to get to a meeting as soon as they are off the Jetway or they too would be in nice Jeans, nice Tee shirt, etc.

Don't let that DL "Fashionista" get to you. I am sure he/she looked quite sporty in the Red vest thing
Quote: Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
This is very funny!! But, could have a ring of truth to it to some old-time employees with a VERY old mindset! First let me say that I AM white! Not old, but aging gently!!

Two things come to mind:

1) With so many high powered jobs today that people do from the comfort of their own homes - and don't even have to go into the office, not to mention business owners, like myself, this idea to have to "look the part of a 1st class passenger" is just nuts!

2) The look, feel and amenities of F have been downgraded sooooo much over the years that the name "1st class" hardly even fits the quality any more. I hear that some airlines actually still do provide first class service with a "true" first class feel. It's a very outdated term!!
Quote: A simple "the regular line is over there" 1 time just seems like they are trying to protect the F line and I respect that. Repeating that after I state I'm in the right line or saying I don't look like I belong there gets a letter from me.
I think that many non-frequent fliers probably don't listen to the GA announcements thereby cluttering up "OUR" line with all of "THEM"!! But, if they could simply say something like - "Are you a FC or Medallion passenger?" - it would be MUCH better than saying - "The regular line is over there." I have been asked if I'm in 1st class on a number of occasions while boarding - - and I don't even use mustard!!
Quote: I'm at jfk flight 1511 to atl seat 4d
I bet herein lies the problem, assuming you originated there. JFK is awful for this sort of thing, I suppose stemming from the image conscious atmosphere of New York in general?

In any case, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Delta there - rude Sky Club agents (no, we won't help you... what do you mean, the CVG sky club could do that?), rude ticket agents, and my personal favorite, the inevitable SEAT REQUEST cards that I never seem to encounter anywhere else.

If I was Delta, I'd fire some of the locals - starting with the ticket agent who was direspectful to HWGeeks - and import some rockstars from other stations in the system to raise the overall level of quality at the station. As it stands now, not even BusinessElite could tempt me into moving my transcons to JFK from ATL or DTW.