Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

BOM Int to Dom Transfer in 1hr 55mins - Any Chance of making it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD

We are scheduled to land at BOM at 3:55am next Wednesday (October 28) from HKG; and scheduled to fly out on Jet Airways at 5:50am to Udaipur

Do you think we have any chance of making the connection?

I have read through the threads on this forum and have seen that Jet Airways has a check-in desk at the international terminal (turn left after leaving customs) and that there is a free bus over to the domestic terminal.

I'm just feeling a bit nervous about this (and to be honest I just didn't think about the minimum connection time when I booked the Jet Airways flight)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:45 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Easily doable if your inbound flight isn't delayed. I've done a couple of 1hr 50min connections to Kingfisher in the last few months and had about an hour to kill in the domestic lounge. Even with the swine flu checks it hasn't taken me more than 20 min from plane to customs, as priority baggage usually works at BOm. Drop off your bags and collect your boarding passes after passing through customs at the international terminal (you either turn left or right depending on which baggage claim you come out of) and take the shuttle to the domestic terminal - it leaves every 20 min and takes about 15 min to get to the domestic terminal.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles n More, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by pandaperth
We are scheduled to land at BOM at 3:55am next Wednesday (October 28) from HKG; and scheduled to fly out on Jet Airways at 5:50am to Udaipur

Do you think we have any chance of making the connection?

I have read through the threads on this forum and have seen that Jet Airways has a check-in desk at the international terminal (turn left after leaving customs) and that there is a free bus over to the domestic terminal.

I'm just feeling a bit nervous about this (and to be honest I just didn't think about the minimum connection time when I booked the Jet Airways flight)
I wont call it impossible but is quite tough. These days customs and other exit formalities in BOM are turning positive, which means you might get out faster provided your flight reaches in time and baggage delivered in time.

Bigger problem would be with the queues to these interterminal free busses. There is quite often very long queue for these busses and you will have to take tokens. You might have cleared the peak time transfers from all those european flights landing around midnight and so there might be lesser queue. Other experts can provide some inputs here.

So provided everything strikes the clock, you can make it but there is a good amount of risk. On a positive note, you are connecting to Jet Airways so they manage things a little better (the check in you mentioned in international terminal might help you giving priority in bus.. not sure.. check it). And in case you miss the flight, they would reroute without much hassles compared to AI.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
As Stuttflyer says, the two key bottlenecks are likely to be the baggage claim at the international arrivals, and the shuttle bus (once every 30 mins) to the domestic terminal. Occasionally there have been very long queues at immigration, but there are quite a few counters, and a 3.55 am arrival should normally be pretty quiet.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
if the queue at the free shuttle is long ... you can always opt for taking a cab .... that should not take more than 10 mts and that would be 100 rs well spent
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by stuttflyer
...These days customs and other exit formalities in BOM are turning positive, which means you might get out faster...
Originally Posted by Savage25
Easily doable if your inbound flight isn't delayed. I've done a couple of 1hr 50min connections to Kingfisher in the last few months and had about an hour to kill in the domestic lounge. Even with the swine flu checks it hasn't taken me more than 20 min from plane to customs, as priority baggage usually works at BOm.
Make *sure* you fill out the forms in full and don't start debating whether you need to fill it out if your country of origin is *not* listed - they now tell you that *everyone* has to fill out these Swine Flu forms, so better to follow procedure.

You have to first get them stamped on the right side as you come down the escalator from your flight (if you have docked with an aerobridge) or on the left side if you are bussed and brought in at tarmac level.

Then you proceed for immigration formalities, which is very speedy nowadays in BOM.

Originally Posted by aniruddh77
As Stuttflyer says, the two key bottlenecks are likely to be the baggage claim at the international arrivals, and the shuttle bus (once every 30 mins) to the domestic terminal. Occasionally there have been very long queues at immigration, but there are quite a few counters, and a 3.55 am arrival should normally be pretty quiet.
Yep - do the taxi if the buses are running late...

But the buses used to go directly airside, and not out to the highway and back in, correct guys? Never done the shuttle bus thing for BOM, so maybe someone who has done it can comment if it would actually be faster if they go directly between terminals, on a special roadway.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
At about 430-5am, taking a taxi will be breeze. No traffic at all!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-please-8.html
Click here here index link and here for current index (post 257) .
Several on BOM
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by d3vski
At about 430-5am, taking a taxi will be breeze. No traffic at all!
True!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Stick with the inter terminal bus if you can. If you have to use the taxi, make sure that you get one from the taxi Q and ensure that the police writes down the license plate number.

I was once robbed while taking a taxi from dom. to intl at BOM at about 1 am.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:07 am

Didn't know about this, but apparently there's now a new procedure. You must buy a prepaid voucher at the counter before heading to the taxi rank. This is actually a recently introduced safety measure, and a good one. At any cost, *do not* take any other cab particularly at night - daytime is fine, though...
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Thanks to you all for your suggestions and past experiences

For us the transfer turned out to be a breeze:
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
not bad, glad it worked out for you!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:06 am

• [*]
  • [*]
Nice!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club

• [*]
  • [*]
no checked luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.