Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA new minimum layover- killing MR's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.

Just heard on the news, AA is instituting minimum 1 to 3 day layovers on most or all their r/t fares. Will that kill MR's? Your opinion? This also kills those same day in-and-out runs for a quick meeting. I hope the other airlines don't follow suit.

edit: I see that UA announced the same thing, I don't know who was first.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Jun 20, 2008 at 3:39 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:57 pm

Just another way the airlines are shooting themselves in the foot. They'd rather have empty seats on a plane than have someone at least paying something for a mileage run?

My guess is that certain flights still won't have these restrictions though as they'd just be giving up business. BOS-NYC and LAX-SFO spring to mind. There's just way too many people doing day trips on those routes to have one-day meetings for it to make any sense to implement minimum stays on those.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by OffToOz
There's just way too many people doing day trips on those routes to have one-day meetings for it to make any sense to implement minimum stays on those.
Agreed, completely. Now that I have a one-month old, I have absolutely switched to day trips... this would make me seriously consider another airline, and I would voice my displeasure quickly.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
There'll still be mileage runs, no doubt. It'll just cost a little more (staying a night or two in a hotel). Also, wouldn't an after-midnight red-eye back count as a night?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I didn't see anything in the AA forum on this.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I saw the UA announcement somewhere but nothing on AA.

Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Looks like UA and AA are setting up themselves to loose more business to Airline Startups.

This will be an opportune time for new companies like Southwest to take even more business away from them.

Or new airlines to start who don't do such bad choices.

How about a thread on which airlines allow same day trips without making the cost unreasonable?

Sounds like a startup airline has a great chance now of surviving with dedicates routes.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by X3Skier
I saw the UA announcement somewhere but nothing on AA.
Can't find it anywhere now, I heard it on NPR radio news Friday around 4:00 p.m.
Maybe they got crossed up, couldn't tell the difference between AA and UA?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
There'll still be mileage runs, no doubt. It'll just cost a little more (staying a night or two in a hotel). Also, wouldn't an after-midnight red-eye back count as a night?
Actually, a pre midnight red eye should, as you can stand by earlier in the day. But, on some "flexible date" searches, even the pre midnight redeyes don't translate into a day.

So, combine your MR's with Mattress Runs and Rental Car Runs. Added costs but more relaxing and some fun on the ground.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Anyone have a source for the AA reference to this
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
I don't think it'll mean much more than when "Saturday night stays" were first instituted; people cried, whined, and kicked then. I think the impact will be, and rightly be with travelers who make a choice to book day trips for business, and may need a little flexibility when it comes to keeping their status topped off via MRs. The bottom line has always been if you wanna play, you gotta pay. That's why when they tell me it's down to Y and B fares, I won't flinch. But that's just me.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Yes, indeed. Did two MRs to SFO last month, on a fare requiring a Saturday night. Flew in at 11:10pm, and flew out on the 12:40am red-eye. Back home in DC by noon.

Steve
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyone have a source for the AA reference to this
Nobody has a source for the AA reference to this because it isn't true. Today.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Here's a news reference that mentions AA as one of the carriers doing this: link
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And another article on how this is creeping/sneaking back in with a number of airlines. However, both articles are a month or two old.

In analyzing more than 72,000 current round-trip fares for the top 50 U.S. city pairs that airlines have filed with its industry clearing house, FareCompare.com concluded that 57% — or about 41,000 fares — now have a minimum-stay requirement.

FareCompare's analysis also revealed that only about 8,000 of the 41,000 round-trip fares with a minimum-stay rule were of the least onerous variety — the one-night requirement.

It means about 33,000 fares of the top 50 cities in the USA — or nearly half of all round-trip fares — require travelers to stay at least two or three nights or Saturday or Sunday nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.