Wiki Posts
Search

A MR - SYD-MEL-SYD on QF J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
A MR - SYD-MEL-SYD on QF J

(Apologies for the crude writing style, I originally was going to post this in the MR forum, but it got longer and longer, and I want to go to bed... )

Did a MR with QF in J recently... I've done some turn-arounds as part of my DONE4s before, but this was the first I did in the same day and returned home to my bed that night. The MR had tons of delays, so it was interesting...

Went to the train station hoping to buy a same-day return ticket (as it's significantly cheaper than 2 one-way tickets). Disturbed the lady at the ticket office as she was deeply into her novel... Handed her my credit card (as I didn't have enough cash on me), she said no credit for transactions under $20. So I gave her an EFTPOS card, now she said no cards for under $20... So I 'thanked' her for her help, and went off to find a cash machine. Sheepishly she apologised, noticing my 'sincere' appreciation...

Anyway, my outbound slight was the international departure (QF136) from SYD. Due to this being the domestic leg of an international flight, OLCI was not possible.

Normally, with QF, boarding pass for the return leg can be issued for same-day returns. However, they couldn't do it from the International check-in system.

Boarding pass with the 'D' sticker was issued (denoting a domestic passenger, so no duty free). No passport was required, just a govt issued photo ID (e.g., driver license).

One of the reasons I chose this flight was it's an international flight, so a better business class seat (not to mention the better food). The flight was also $3 cheaper than a typical domestic flight to MEL too... The other reason was to use the International First Lounge (me being a QFF WP). Grabbed a solid breakfast in the lounge and relaxed a bit.

Boarding was delayed for about 20 minutes with the usual reason - 'late incoming aircraft'. (This flight originated from NRT.) Eventually we boarded, but more waiting while we sat on the aircraft, the captained reported 3 passengers 'disappeared'. After about 20 minutes, the captain decided to locate the bags (by that time, only one person was missing). I suspected if that missing person turned up, (s)he would probably be boo'ed all round... At least the crew turned on the IFE half way through our wait. We finally took off an hour late.

I originally had about 2 hours on the ground before the turn-around. Since I couldn't check-in with my return leg (I also couldn't check-in in the lounge in SYD either), I was wondering whether I should reschedule. BTW, a few days prior, QF SMS'ed me saying the return flight was rescheduled, departing 15 minutes earlier. So, I've already lost 15 minutes from my turn-around and I haven't even left on my outbound yet...

Anyway, blind faith took over and I decided to sit tight.

Flight was uneventful - a typical QF long-haul J flight with a breakfast. The crew apologised several times over the delay...

Landed at MEL, and turned on my mobile. A voicemail was left by QF (Premium Desk), saying due to my delay, they took the liberty to rebook me on a later flight, but could I call them just to confirm. I rang them and also told them about the SMS I received, but that just ended up confusing them. Anyway, they let me choose which return flight I wanted. I chose a later one, allowing myself a bit of time to relax in the lounge. (All this was when I was still on the plane, while taxiing.)

Immigration Hall was totally empty, so went through (with my drivers licence). Customs was empty too, the lady wasn't sure I was allowed to go through directly (without the usual x-ray). But, no luck, I was directly to the x-ray hall, which still had the last few passengers from an earlier flight. All I had was a novel, I didn't even have a bag. The guy at the x-ray insisted to keep my boarding pass. I learnt not to argue with anyone working at the airport, so I left him my boarding pass and walked landside.

Went over to the domestic terminal and checked in. I actually could take my original flight, the check-in machine actually asked me whether I wanted to take 'an earlier' flight. But I decided to take my flight that I rebooked...

Popped over to the lounge, (I already had 2 breakfasts while sitting around for most of the day) had a light lunch and made some phone calls to long-distance friends...

Boarding time...! A quick glance to the monitor showed a change of gate, now, I was at the far end of the terminal. Boarding was almost complete by the time I got there...

This was a typical domestic 'bus' between MEL and SYD on a 738. With all the unplanned events (e.g., the annoying ticket lady at the train station) and delays, I thought we were going to leave on time.

We pushed off from the gate as I was reading my novel. Then I noticed we were RETURNING to the gate...! I noticed another plane was pushing off at the same time, so I thought maybe we jumped the queue and had to let the other plane go first...

Then the captain came on explaining there was a warning light for the brakes. He decided to return to the gate and let Engineering to have a look, as he thought brakes would be useful when we land...

So, more waiting we did... Approximately 30 minutes worth this time... (Perhaps I should have taken the flight in my original plan...) Connecting passengers were assured by the captain that they would be SAFE (said like he was a baseball umpire)...

More sincere apologies from the crew, which was a good touch, but most would understand - safety first...

The flight included a light snack, but was largely uneventful.

Landed back at SYD, about 2 hours later than my original itinerary... All up a rather exciting and eventful day for my first same-day MR...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
Good report... At least the delays and changes made the trip a little more interesting than the standard SYD-MEL-SYD bus ride it could have been.

Chrisb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.