Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
SYDNEY to MELBOURNE (SYD-MEL) on United 747-400 in business class

There was a rush to get through security and on to the continuation leg - same flight number but operated by different aircraft (the one coming from SFO). I had planned to grab a quick shower during the transit, taking advantage of being one of the first off the aircraft and my fast movement around the terminal. However, with the departure monitors showing flight closed I figured the NZ or SQ lounge staff may not let me in without an argument so why bother.

Again random passengers being selected for wanding at the gate, which I managed to avoid.

I'd been given a different seat (yes separate boarding pass for this leg) from the flight over. The forward business cabin was fairly empty - plenty of room to spread out.

We departed rather late, an hour after we'd started disembarking the LAX flight. We then had a slow taxi and long wait at the threshold of the active runway - taking some 40 minutes in all. Finally it was our turn and we were off.

I dozed and chatted with some other pax. Food and service was non-existant. Some poor views of the land below through heavy cloud cover which thinned out the further south we got.

Express immigration cards and arrival cards were handed out.

We landed late and I headed straight for transfers while the other passengers headed for immigration.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Melbourne to Auckland business class menu

They'd loaded the wrong menus - being the same Tasman lunch menu instead of Tasman dinner menu. Food was however fairly similar.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sydney to Auckland business class menu

LUNCH

Starter

Kaffir lime and coriander scented salmon with tropical mango chilli salsa, micro greens and lemon oil

Main Course

Horopito braised venison with mustard seed spatzle, braised red cabbage, mushrooms and bacon lardons

Home-made gnocchi in porcini scented cream sauce with roasted vegetables and shaved parmesan

Oriental tasting plate of Thai roasted beef, rice paper roll, seared tuna, cucumber, daikon and capsicum salad with chilli and lime dressing

Dessert

Dark chocolate marquis with roasted macadamia nuts and pinot poached pears

or

Gourmet dessert of feijoa ice cream and blackcurrent and blackberry ice cream

Cheese and Fruit

Fine regional cheese and preserved fruit

Spirits

Glenfiddich malt whisky
Chivas regal blended whisky
Jack daniel's black label
Gordons gin
42 below vodka
Courvoisier vsop
Captain morgan rum
Ron bacardi superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese port
Grand marnier
Baileys irish cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring steinlager, export gold, heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MELBOURNE to AUCKLAND (MEL-AKL) on Air New Zealand 747-400 in business class

Shortly after booking this flight changed from an A320 to 747-400. Not a bad upgauge, and go from shorthaul product to longhaul product in one swoop. With my status I was assured of getting a prime seat in the nose, and indeed I got my preferred seat in row 7.

But first I headed to the Qantas first lounge where I was welcomed back again. It took longer than normal to check into the lounge since the UA issued BP would not swipe through the reader and the agent had to manually enter my flight details.

First priority was a shower, then drink & food and catch up on some work. All the computers were in use, but one of the meeting rooms was free and so I used that instead. I prefer not to as from past experience the room gets hot and airless.

I noted the arriving aircraft was running late but made sure to leave the Qantas lounge in plenty of time to get my BP reissued and to have a hassle free boarding. I went down to the basement to the nice Air NZ lounge, quickly got the BP reissued, grabbed a drink and hopped onto a spare computer to surf FT.

Boarding was late of course. They seemed to lose time in the turnaround

The flight itself was fairly uneventful. I caught up on a classic movie, and a couple of tv shows, read the NZ based newspaper offered, ate and drank. All too soon we were descending into Auckland.

With the late departure we arrived late also. Ready to disembark but the airbridge (at gate 5) was broken and only moving in one direction. After several goes to fix it we are asked to sit down again so they can move the aircraft to another gate and try again. All up this takes 40 minutes.

This means instead of no queue at immigration we arrive with the bank of late night arrivals. I take a gamble that downstairs lines will be shorter than the upstairs NZ/Australia passport lines (which filled the snake completely and backed up past the duty free on arrival shop) and it paid off this time.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Well it sure has been an odd start to my travel year.

2 NYEs
1 almost stranded on NYE
2 medical emergencies
2 aborted trips
1 mechanical
4 flight cancellations
multiple flight delays of up to several hours
1 broken airbridge
13 hours spent in LAX :shudder:
multiple visits to F lounge
no problems with US immigration despite 5 brief longhaul trips in the past 3 weeks

I now take a couple of days break from travel before the next trip and the next instalment (yes there is still more, always more)
Old Jan 8, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
They'd loaded the wrong menus - being the same Tasman lunch menu instead of Tasman dinner menu. Food was however fairly similar.
My flight over on NZ125 had the same issue: MEL-AKL lunch menus were loaded instead of AKL-MEL.

Boarding was late of course. They seemed to lose time in the turnaround
I hope that wasn't me

As usual a great report from you, although I'll never understand how you manage all this travel!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnz
My flight over on NZ125 had the same issue: MEL-AKL lunch menus were loaded instead of AKL-MEL.

I hope that wasn't me

As usual a great report from you, although I'll never understand how you manage all this travel!
So they had MEL-AKL lunch menus both directions!

Yeah it probably was you holding us up. Never mind - what's a few minutes more in a lounge when I've spent soooooo many hours in them lately.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report as always Kiwi!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:30 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Awesome

Kiwi Flyer,

I started reading this thread on my meal break last night at work, well 2am Syd time, and after finishing work at 7am, I spent a lazy afternoon catching the rest of it.

I would love to fly as often as you do, but I totally relate to your issues re cancellations and staff who just don't over exceed in their customer service.

Keep it up - I have really enjoyed everything you have written.

Adam
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

And now for the final instalment in this series.

After a trip to Australia and a busy few days back in NZ I was again up fairly early and on my way to the airport while it was still dark.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

And now for the final instalment in this series.

After a trip to Australia and a busy few days back in NZ I was again up fairly early and on my way to the airport while it was still dark.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
...and now I know know why we 'missed' in the SYD KC Lounge on 6th Jan (0730-0915 UTC+11) - you were 'slumming it' in the QC F Lounge! Although the timing may not have worked in any case....

Pity, but quite understandable! I could, however, have done with a break from my two travel weary and grumpy teenage male sons....

Cheers, TK
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thai-Kiwi - on 6th January my inbound UA flight was really late and I went through security and straight onboard the onward flight to MEL which was waiting for us. No lounge visit at all that time.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to OSAKA Kansai (AKL-KIX) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class

Sorry for the interruption. Boarding was a bit sooner than I expected.

I arrived to an empty premium check in lobby. Outside the main check in desks were swarming with pax - even spilling out past the snake into the main hallway. So once again I hit the sweet spot. I got a good agent too who easily checked me in for the return (see my earlier posts about NRT turnaround). I switched my FFP having changed my mind since booking. As I didn't feel strongly about which program to credit I decided not to insist on a reprint of the BP and trust that it would work out okay (normally if it matters I get the BP reprinted so as to avoid problems of miscrediting and being unable to prove my desired program was XX not YY).

Quickly through immigration and security and into the lounge. Welcome back Kiwi Flyer - you almost spend as much time here as I do! (from the lovely lounge agent)

I had time to catch up on some messages and a drink to keep me awake until boarding. The FSM for the Osaka and Tokyo flights came around the lounge and advised on the PA they were available to meet any passengers for 15 minutes or so ^ The boarding call took me by surprise. It also took the crew by surprise - the airbridge door was half closed and the cabin crew onboard were not quite ready. I put my carry on away and settled into my seat.

I was quickly offered a pre-departure drink (sparkling wine, orange juice or water) - which was subsequently topped up twice ^. I was not offered a newspaper, but only because they saw I already had one (from the lounge). I'd already helped myself to a magazine from the rack when I boarded.

The business cabin was 3/4 full so the FSM offered me a choice of seats (and from his greeting I knew my FFP change had worked). I stuck with the one I'd originally selected at the rear of the cabin for greater privacy. When the IFE came on after take off I did my usual thing (when practical due to empty seat) and turn the monitor of the seat opposite onto flight path, so I could see both it and the movie at the same time.

The first couple of hours were bumpy as we skirted Cyclone Funa.

Food was plentiful. Breakfast after take off. Then about 3 hours later a snack (there was also food out on the servery at the rear of the cabin between breakfast and dinner). A couple of hours before landing dinner was served. Each aisle was served concurrently, from the front to the back. When one aisle was served they then did the premium economy cabin, even if the other aisle is not yet finished. Thus if the cabin is full (or they load low numbers of a certain meal) and sitting at the rear of business class you may miss out on your first choice of meal. More on this later.

IFE was great as usual, although even with the extensive collection of classic movies I have just about seen everything (multiple times).

We arrived nearly an hour early meaning I would have plenty of time to transit (even if I didn't have the return boarding pass). On arrival both airbridges were used by the one by door 2 was very slow. Most of the premium economy passengers snuck past before the crew could stop them to let business class disembark first
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Osaka business class menu

BREAKFAST

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, Japanese green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Light Breakfast

A bowl of muesli topped with Greek-style yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option.

Full Breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast.

Fresh fruit salad

Fruit or plain Greek-style yoghurt

Hubbard's natural muesli, apple and cranberry Light and Tasty cereal, Weetbix, Cornflakes

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, Vogel's [bread], brioche or fruit toast served with fruit conserve [not on the menu but vegemite was also available - amusing to see the reaction of a Japanese couple who'd been persuaded by the FA to try it ]

Hot Breakfast

Creamy scrambled eggs wrapped in pancake with country-style potatoes, onions and tomato

Japanese herb grilled salmon, egg cake with seaweed steamed fish cake, taro, green beans and steamed rice with black sesame seeds

Passionfruit French toast with lemon poached pears

LIGHT REFRESHMENT

Selection of club sandwiches

Raspberry lamingtons, chocolate opera cakes or kiwifruit tartlets

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, Japanese green tea or hot chocolate

DINNER

Starter

Japanese appetiser selection served with soba noodle sauce

Bakery

Garlic bread, white scroll rolls, sourdough or dark rye bread

Main Course

Prime New Zealand beef fillet with golden kumara mash, turnip, green vegetable salad, horseradish and rosemary hollandaise sauce

Japanese crumbed chicken- Tonkatsu style with cabbage roll and shrimp dumpling, bamboo, carrot, eggplant and steamed rice with hot slated pollack roe

Basil pesto prawns on fettuccine pasta in basil cream sauce with courgette, roasted pumpkin and shaved parmesan

Japanese green tea, miso soup and Japanese pickles to complement your meal

Dessert

Strawberry and white chocolate torte with fresh strawberry compote

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, Japanese green tea or hot chocolate

BEVERAGES

Wine

For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide [supplied]

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

[Not listed by name but Deutz Brut served pre-departure only or upon request.]

Champagne

Veuve Clicquot NV Champagne

or

Champagne Laurent-Perrier LP NV Brut

Cocktails

Falling Water A cool delicious rehydrating combination of lemonade, sliced cucumber and 42 Below feijoa vodka served over ice.

Backyard Bellini A crisp refreshing aperitif of apple juice and 42 Below feijoa vodka topped up with Champagne and a dash of Cointreau

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blenced Whisky
Jack Daniel's Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
English Breakfast tea
Hot Chocolate
Chamomile tea
Lemon tea
Decaffeinated tea
Darjeeling tea
Earl Grey tea
Peppermint tea
Green tea
Jasmine tea

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 20, 2008 at 10:28 pm
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Osaka to Christchurch business class menu

DINNER

Starter

Japanese appetiser selection of salmon sushi, prawn, egg cake and kelp roll

Bakery

Garlic bread, dark rye rolls or foccacia bread

Main Course

Pan seared beef fillet with Madeira glaze, herb butter, roasted potatoes, courgettes, sugar snap peas and fried maitake mushrooms

Traditional Japanese dish of simmered chicken with zibuni sauce, Japanese vegetables konjaku, wasabi and steamed rice with black sesame seeds

Sauteed fillet of sea bass with creamed red capsicum sauce, potato puree, wilted spinach and fried egg plant

Japanese green tea, miso soup and Japanese pickles to complement your meal

Dessert

Baked apple strudel with vanilla bean ice cream

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine cheese and fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Drinks

BREAKFAST

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, Japanese green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Light Breakfast

A bowl of muesli topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option.

Fast Dine Breakfast

Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you a breakfast pastry and a beverage of your choice.

Full Breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast.

Fresh fruit salad

Fruit or natural yoghurt

Muesli, Fruity flakes, Weetbix, Cornflakes

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, wholemeal, white or fruit toast served with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Three egg omelette with grilled bacon, breakfast potatoes and ratatouille

Japanese breakfast of teriyake salmon, simmered kelp, egg cake, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice with yukari

Cinnamon sugared French toast with streaky bacon, roasted pears, manuka honey and apple syrup and mascarpone

BEVERAGES

Wine

For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide [supplied]

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

[Not listed by name but Deutz Brut served pre-departure only or upon request.]

Champagne

Veuve Clicquot NV Champagne

or

Champagne Laurent-Perrier LP NV Brut

Cocktails

Falling Water A cool delicious rehydrating combination of lemonade, sliced cucumber and 42 Below feijoa vodka served over ice.

Backyard Bellini A crisp refreshing aperitif of apple juice and 42 Below feijoa vodka topped up with Champagne and a dash of Cointreau

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blenced Whisky
Jack Daniel's Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
English Breakfast tea
Hot Chocolate
Chamomile tea
Lemon tea
Decaffeinated tea
Darjeeling tea
Earl Grey tea
Peppermint tea
Green tea
Jasmine tea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.