Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Sorry for the delay in posting the next instalments. I've had a rather frustrating and eventful couple of days travelling. I'll post more when I can.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:39 pm

we had three F and one C UA transpac all on SFO-SYD route, and the crew were great on all of them (apart from a sourish purser on one SYD-SFO) leg. They offered papers from SYD, but perhaps not out of SFO (although I may not remember. Service in F more personalized than in C, and wine definitely much better. Pouilly Fuisse as per your menu was pretty good. We got some Gigondas as well on one flight. The real pleasure were flight attendants, they had a sense of humour, were polite and friendly. Maybe that only happens out of SFO though. Food out of SYD is pretty bad, better from SFO. Small screen does not bother me, and you have a selection of movies, we caught up on hollywood blockbusters: we were on a movie roll by just getting tapes we wanted. The seats are flat and much more comfy for sleeping than C.

BTW, the food on AirNZ was better, and the wine was also pretty good.

Looking forward to read more of your reports.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Air New Zealand 767-300 in business class

A few hours later I was heading back to the airport. I walked across from domestic taking in the humid still morning air. Quickly checked in at premium check in desk including the departure tax exemption sticker. Through immigration and up to the lounge.

Enough time for a drink and check my messages before boarding.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The flight is not very full and I have plenty of seats to choose from. It wasn't until later that I realised mechteach + family was also on board.

A nice breakfast and I snoozed most of the flight. Service was great as usual. I didn't get an express immigration form, but that was only because I declined one. They even asked if I would be heading into town on my transit, realising that it is long enough to do so (indeed half the business cabin on this flight were connecting to UA and did head into the city).
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Sydney

I was first (of course) to transfer security and quickly through. Mindful that both NZ and SQ lounges close late morning for a short period, and that the UA lounge is horrid, I headed over to the one world pier for the Qantas F lounge.

Staff were suprised to see me again - this is the second time in a couple weeks I have visited the same international F lounge on consecutive days. Not normal travel behaviour I guess.

The agent on the upstairs reception desk must have been new (I didn't recognise her) for she had to look up the cheat sheet to confirm that yes I had access thanks to my status despite flying on not only a different airline but a different alliance (and not in first). Nonetheless I was pleased she looked it up. So many lounge bouncers think they know best and just refuse entry.

I grabbed a lunch and some (okay lots) of drink, caught up on messages and researched options for upcoming flights. It seems some bad weather is coming and I wanted to be prepared given I had no internet access later on.

Since there are no boarding calls for non-one world flights (not surprising really) I kept an eye on the time and left in plenty of time to make the gate for the next flight.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Los Angeles business class menu

FEATURED WINES

Champagne

Hiedsieck Monopole Blue Top brut nv champagne

Pommery brut royal nv champagne

White Wine

Chateau De Tracy "Mademoiselle De T" 2005 Pouilly Fume (sauvignon blanc)

William Fevre chablis 2005 Champs Royaux (chardonnay)

Estancia Pinnacles chardonnay 2005 monterey

Hawk Crest chardonnay 2006 california

Red Wine

Taurus Roble 2004 Toro (tempranillo)

Capcanes Mas Donis 2005 Montsant (tempranillo / garnacha)

Aquinas Merlot 2004 napa valley

Pedroncelli Bench Vineyards Merlot 2005 dry creek valley

Penfolds Bin 2 shiraz-mourvedre 2004 south australia

Warburn Barrel Matured shiraz 2007 barossa valley

Beverages

Aperitifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer

Sanderman Founders Reserve Porto will be offered during the main meal's dessert

Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the flight

FOOD menu

To Begin

Dried beef and marinated prawns with asparagus tips and tomato
Mustard dill mayonnaise

Fresh seasonal greens
Creamy wasabi or raspberry vinaigrette

Main Course

Pan-seared filet mignon with shallot balsamic demi glace
Potato mushroom casserole and sauteed vegetables with shiitake mushrooms

Oven-roasted breast of chicken with blueberry peppercorn sauce
White and wild rice medley, blanched broccoli and roasted pumpkin

Filet of salmon with lemon myrtle cream sauce
Parslied chateau potatoes and a mixed vegetable saute

Dessert

International cheese selection
brie, st claire

Hazelnut nougat cake

Midflight Snack

A variety of sandwiches and assorted treats

Prior to Arrival

Your selected entree will be served with breakfast breads, butter and fruit preserves

Asparagus and gouda cheese filled omelette
Grilled smoked chicken, baked roma tomato half

or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

Today's menu features beef from Australia
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY to LOS ANGELES (SYD-LAX) on United 747-400 in business class

Since I still had a bit of time when I reached the star alliance pier I headed for the RCC (red carpet club). I got a bollocking for not having my USA API information entered - despite the check in agent at AKL entering all the information as I could not check in for SYD-LAX without it, and also despite the boarding pass having API in big letters. The lounge agent entered new data and refused to enter the same thing that the AKL check in agent had entered - "oh you can't enter that" (Really? It has worked fine for me the past few visits to USA.) She also grumbled to me about my non-UA boarding pass.

That done I entered the cavern, saw how overcrowded and horrid it was (people were sitting on the floor and with lots of carry ons endemic for a US-based airline there was not much room to even walk around) and decided to leave for the nice Air NZ lounge.

The boarding call was made late. Some people were getting hand-wanded at the gate but not me. I made my way to my upper deck seat. The overhead bins are tiny. My small rollaboard which fits fine on other 747 upper decks (QF, NZ, BA in the past month alone) does not even come close to fitting here. So I pull out the bits and pieces I expect to need during the flight and store the bag in the closet at the rear of the cabin.

I switched seats to enable a couple to sit together despite losing my preferred aisle seat as a consequence.

Finally boarding was complete. A slow, but short, taxi. It was about 40 minutes from pushback before it was our turn on the runway.

We got a drink once we'd levellled off, a cheap amenity kit and a menu. Then cabin service was suspended for an hour due to supposed severe turbulence. It was the smoothest hour flying I've felt in a long time - not a single bump or judder. Grrr. (See is UA really oversensitive to turbulence?)

Then there is a call for a doctor. The next couple of hours there is a flurry of activity with multiple doctors and pilots going back and forth from the cockpit to downstairs. I wonder if we'll divert to Nadi or Auckland, but apparently not serious enough for that.

Service in the upper deck is constrained all flight, as much of the time one FA needs to guard the cockpit. And the loos are out of bounds almost the whole flight - so we share the downstairs ones.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I got some sleep. Unlike the previous first class flight this time the FAs happily top up my water without my even asking for it ^. Still, it would be nicer if we got a water bottle like on other airlines.

We arrive late. I race down to immigration to find empty queues, but not officers set up. There is a wait as a few officers dribble in and set up their stations. They are in no hurry - some take up to 20 minutes before they are ready for their first passenger. By the time the line starts moving the hall is already overflowing and backed up the corridors (on both US and visitors sides).

Eventually it is my turn. With inconsistent API information entered I of course get questioned about it, but upon showing my return ticket I get a "nice fare and have a nice day" ^ No wait at customs because immigration processing is so slow.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LOS ANGELES to LOS ANGELES (LAX-LAX) on Virgin America A320 in first class

Since the launch of VX I wanted to try them out and today was my best chance to do so, without jeopardising other travel or meetings. Or so I thought. When I booked the ticket months ago the fare was good and schedule fine. Closer to the date I worried that the United poor on time/cancellation performance for SYD flights might cause a misconnect, but with a first class ticket in hand, multiple VX flights and 13 hours in LAX between arrival and departure, I thought I would be fine.

Unfortunately the weather gods were not smiling on San Francisco. So when I went upstairs from UA international arrivals to check in with Virgin America I braced myself for delays.

The flight I was booked on was cancelled - but don't worry we have combined it with the next flight. So I checked in for the round trip and received my boarding passes. These are on square waxy cardboard, red on the reverse. Quite unlike "normal" boarding passes - which is deliberate.

Having been stuck on an aircraft/immigration the past 16 hours or so, and not having my laptop with me, I was unaware of the extent of the weather woes nor any reliable/current forecast. So while I tried getting hold of someone to check for me, I decided to fill in some of the time before my new flight departure time by wandering around the terminals checking departure monitors to get a sense of how bad the SFO delays/cancellations might be. Hmm multiple cancellations and delays. Not looking good.

Nonetheless I should head airside in case my new flight goes as planned. I went to the T7 security because it had NO line (and was closest to the VX check in counters). I was ordered to use T6 security line because VX departs from T6. Never mind that the terminals are connected airside and can freely walk between them. Of course T6 security line snaked back and forth and looked to be at least 30 minutes - and that just the downstairs bit with further queue upstairs.

Fortunately I spied a DL elite line and talked my way in. I'm not sure how exactly - the VX boarding pass did not even mention first class anywhere on it. Upstairs a long wait. I chose a screening station with the shortest line. Unfortunately the passenger in front of me had 2 carry ons, plus a purse, and a laptop, oh and a cat in cat carrier. It was this that slowed everything down as she had to explain to every screener what she wanted to do, that it was within the rules (which they needed to check of course) and to arrange the screening of the cat carrier in a separate room.

Eventually I am through. It "only" took me 20 minutes.

I headed first to the 2 VX gates at the end of the terminal. Unlike other airlines there are no departure monitors, just a screen at each gate announcing the next flight. At the moment the screens are blank. Not a good sign.

There were no announcements, and no aircraft any time close to the expected departure so I ask and am told the 2nd flight was also cancelled but I'd been protected on a 3rd flight. This is not due for another few hours.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

So I decided to leave the zoo (not only lots of passengers but this is a very noisy part of the terminal with at least 3 different airlines using nearby gates - each wanting to drown out the others with their announcements).

I wandered around terminals 8, 7, 6 and 5. All were rather busy with the chaos of many cancelled and delayed flights. However T5 was slightly less bad than the others so I hung out there for a while, reading, people watching, and trying to get hold of friends as I waited.

Eventually I headed back to T6 and the VX gates. The gate screen information showed a flight to JFK New York. Over a period of maybe 30 minutes the displayed departure gate switched at least twice, and the departure time went from on time, to a 45 minute delay, back to on time, and eventually to a small delay. Very few announcements were made. Pax were just expected to hang around and wait to board. A few passengers almost missed their flight as they counted on the 45 minute delay and wandered off only to return as the doors are about to be closed.

The departure time of the 3rd flight came and went. I saw no information on either gate screen so enquired the status. Oh that flight is also cancelled, but don't worry you are on the next one in a couple more hours. This is now some 6 hours behind my originally scheduled departure.

I did the maths. If it left on time (and how likely is that?) I would misconnect on the return, unless the a/c did a turnaround (which was unknown and they could not answer that question given the schedule uncertainty today). So I might get back on time for my evening longhaul - very low probability. I might make it to SFO and not get back - more likely, and I'd then have to try my luck changing my flexible full fare longhaul ticket at the last minute (with no certainty of success). Or the flight may not depart at all (nor any subsequent rebooking).

I decided to play it safe, and release a seat each way for someone who may need it more than I would. They were happy to process a cancellation and refund on the spot.

I later checked what happened. One flight made it each way, and I would have misconnected with the longhaul flight from LAX by a few hours. I also would likely not have been able to change the longhaul to depart from SFO as that flight was full and there would have been insufficient time to arrange the change in any event. So in hindsight a lucky escape.

So, for the second time in just a few days, I'd had all day to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco and return, and failed to make it both times. I'm beginning to think my good travel luck in recent years has abandoned me.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to Sydney business class menu

FEATURED WINES

Champagne

Hiedsieck Monopole Blue Top brut nv champagne

Pommery brut royal nv champagne

White Wine

Chateau De Tracy "Mademoiselle De T" 2005 Pouilly Fume (sauvignon blanc)

William Fevre chablis 2005 Champs Royaux (chardonnay)

Estancia Pinnacles chardonnay 2005 monterey

Hawk Crest chardonnay 2006 california

Red Wine

Taurus Roble 2004 Toro (tempranillo)

Capcanes Mas Donis 2005 Montsant (tempranillo / garnacha)

Aquinas Merlot 2004 napa valley

Pedroncelli Bench Vineyards Merlot 2005 dry creek valley

Penfolds Bin 2 shiraz-mourvedre 2004 south australia

Warburn Barrel Matured shiraz 2007 barossa valley

Beverages

Aperitifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer

Sanderman Founders Reserve Porto will be offered during the main meal's dessert

Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the flight

FOOD menu

On today's flight, you may choose our traditional dinner, served in courses, or enjoy our Express Dine service - a complete meal served all at once at the time of your choosing so you can maximize your time while on board. Please inform the flight attendant of your choice.

To Begin

Sauteed herb shrimp, prosciutto ham and fresh fruit
Kalamata olive sauce

Fresh seasonal greens
Buttermilk ranch or balsamic Dijon vinaigrette

Main Course

Pan-seared filet mignon with green peppercorn sauce
Fingerling potatoes and sauteed zucchini and carrots

Citrus-roasted chicken with warm mango relish
Israeli couscous and corn and green peas

Pasta rotollo
Egg, tomato and spinach pasta filled with ricotta, mozzarella and Romano cheeses and spinach with marinara sauce

Express Dine
Today's Express Dine features an appetizier, a fresh entree salad topped with a hot cumin seasoned chicken breast served with classic Caesar dressing and Eli's Creme Caramel Cheesecake for dessert

Dessert

International cheese selection
Kerrygold vintage cheddar, Port-Salut

Eli's Creme Caramel Cheesecake

Prior to Arrival

Spinach and feta cheese omelette with pomodoro sauce
Black Forest ham

or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LOS ANGELES to SYDNEY (LAX-SYD) on United 747-400 in business class

With the storm now at LAX the weather outside was miserable and so I reluctantly headed to the RCC to check in - yes many hours early.

As expected the RCC was a zoo. It took some time just to get in and then get checked in. The highlighted flights for delays and cancellations were endemic on the departure and arrival monitors. Indeed very few flights were on time. For example, flighstats has the following data on UA LAX departures 4 January.

1200-1500 4% cancelled, 71% late, average delay 66 minutes, 26% on time
1500-1800 8% cancelled, 73% late, average delay 104 minutes, 20% on time
1800-2100 26% cancelled, 67% late, average delay 100 minutes, 10% on time
2100-0000 9% cancelled, 83% late, average delay 125 minutes, 7% on time

Of course it was not just United affected.

I found a quiet corner - grabbed my book which I'd brought to read onboard, had some drinks and fruit (no other real food available - and repeated PA announcements to not bring in any food or drink ), watched the monitors and waited. Periodically I wandered around to stretch my legs and see if I could spot any FT tags. There were none that I saw - although I'm sure there must have been some FTers passing through in the seemingly endless hours I spent there.

Finally after more than 12 hours waiting in the airport terminals it was time to head for the gate.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The next instalment will be coming soon. More (mis)adventures on several more flights. Oh, what a start to 2008 travels.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

... continued

I forgot to mention that I lost the upper deck exit row seat which I'd pre-allocated months ago I was given a lower deck aisle seat instead.

At the gate there is a small delay while "one of the doors is being repaired" Nonetheless boarding was essentially completed on time. We waited for about 50 passengers from Tucson who had only just arrived at LAX. Then the doors closed and we waited to push back.

I was listening to channel 9. With the bad weather it seemed the taxiways were in chaos. More than once I heard of threatened nose to nose situations on taxiways, and the odd plaintave call for help "we've been sitting here more than an hour, when can we move?". Sure enough we didn't push back until 2 hours after scheduled departure. I finished all my reading material while we waited and regretted not getting one of the newspapers offered (no magazines offered). We very slowly made our way to the runway - despite being a short distance from gate to start of takeoff roll this took a looong time. By the time we reached the active runway, we'd already been in our seats well over 3 hours. I wondered if fuel or crew hours would become an issue, but apparently not this time. Yay for small mercies.

After takeoff the seatbelt sign remained on for 90 minutes Once it came off there was a stampede for the bathrooms. It was now very late at night, even on Australian time, too late to be eating but with many hours spent waiting too hungry to not eat.

My seat was broken - it did not recline and the footrest would not come up. With a full flight I could not swap for another seat Fortunately I can sleep anywhere, any how if I am tired enough, and I fell asleep during meal service.

About 2 1/2 hours before arrival I awoke to the sounds of breakfast being prepared. Breakfast was served 80 minutes prior to arrival - grrr the noise was needlessly early. One of the FAs asked whether I agreed with her that the food is great for airline food - and much better than McDonalds. No I didn't agree the food is good - Air NZ breakfasts for example are much better. Being better than McDonalds is no indicator of quality.

As we descend into Sydney there is an announcement "is there a medical doctor on board". I've gone hundreds of flights in a row without hearing this, and to get it two flights in a row is amazing, and rather sad. It seems a passenger suffered a fall and was in a bad way. I suspect the passenger died before arrival. Kinda makes my travel woes pale into insignificance.

Nonetheless the captain and crew did all they could. We were given an expedited landing, with other aircraft on final approach aborting their landing to make way for us. We were given a fast taxi to an accessible gate (not the usual one used by United). A team of paramedics jumped on board as soon as we pulled into the gate. As we waited to be allowed to disembark, I noticed an adjacent gate had a Qantas aircraft - this on the one world pier. Odd.

An announcement was made rattling off a list, a long list, of flights that passengers had misconnected to. Some of these destinations only have 1 flight a day so I guess they are stuck in Sydney overnight. There was also a confusing message about some domestic flights leave from international terminal. I knew what they were talking about (QF flights numbered 1 to 399) but if you weren't familiar you would have been none the wiser. Why bother making confusing announcements like this?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Melbourne business class menu

1 small bag of mini pretzels.

Drink - a choice of water, orange juice, tomato juice, soft drink, champagne.

No real food. No hot drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.