Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAA Strike action ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by carrliadiere
Strike averted, totally excellent result!

I work at Sky so can't quote a source yet (just saw it go out from the newsroom), but this pleases me a great deal!
Come on people you can't all be that amazed it was averted.

It's a farce - it would never have been allowed to happen.

How much wasted breath and time over this did the thread command?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by flyclub

know what you are saying but tbf it would have had implications for a lot of people, as i said earlier im due to go on honeymoon on the 7th & come back the 18th

great news
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:39 am

Red face

Originally Posted by flyclub

But you don't see it from my point of view here - like the music of Chopin, its relevance increases exponentially when you understand the backstory.

Still, I won't bore you with it - but do understand, for those not as travel-savvy as others, the threat of a trip being scuppered and time booked off work being wasted and money unquestionably going down the drain is not something which can be shrugged off as quite so blase and farcical as you suggest.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by ian001
BBC News is saying that the first strike has been called off, following progress in talks. No signed and sealed agreement yet. A union meeting is to take place on 3 January to ratify whatever has been agreed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7165196.stm

Encouraging news nonetheless.
(My bolding)
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
(My bolding)

Following several hours of negotiations, officials from the Unite union said an agreement had been reached in principle to hold "proper consultations" over the future of the pension scheme before any changes are made.

The agreement will be discussed by union representatives on Thursday but in the meantime next Monday's strike has been called off.

Further strikes planned for January 14 and January 17/18 will be called off if the deal is accepted by the union representatives on Thursday.

-Sky News

My bolding.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I do not see how that is relevant or called for. The OP made a fair and valid point about UK customer service.
The OP was parading the kind of obnoxious and ignorant stereotype about the British which is all too commonly expressed in the United States and encouraged by endless Hollywood caricature which, if it related instead to African-Americans, would provoke nationwide outrage.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
The OP was parading the kind of obnoxious and ignorant stereotype about the British which is all too commonly expressed in the United States and encouraged by endless Hollywood caricature which, if it related instead to African-Americans, would provoke nationwide outrage.
Your response was obnoxious as well. It would have been enough to call him on his unwarranted (IMO) generalization, and maybe rise above that level of discourse?

Back on topic: I'm glad at least that BAA's earlier threat is no longer hanging over travellers.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
No the OP succinctly summarised the typical UK service experience which I observe multiple times each day. I am 100% British but happy to confirm that service in the UK (in general) stinks more than a lorry load of week old fish.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjpb3
Your response was obnoxious as well.

Oh no it wasn't...

(This is panto season isn't it?)
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
My bolding.

Just for the sake of clarity - I wasn't having a go, I just wanted to highlight the situtation.

I'm pleased for all parties if they can get an agreement to stick.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:48 am
uk1
Suspended

Isn't the problem with how this thread has developed - and so many do - is that sometimes some people (me included) simply make innocently intended but perhaps carelessly over generalised statements and potentially to others objectionable statements about the world as a whole that simply relates to their own by comparison very narrow experiences.

Overlay the potent traits of nationalism and / or patriotism and / or partism and / or defensiveness then these debates never resolve unless both sides recognise that they are both neither wrong nor both right but both need to recognise that being able to talk in the future without rancour is better than having the final word.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jbfield

Just for the sake of clarity - I wasn't having a go, I just wanted to highlight the situtation.

I'm pleased for all parties if they can get an agreement to stick.
Hahah, I am just desperate to go on holiday on the 14th, I am perhaps overly keen to go to every length to accentuate the positive!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Can we please stop the personal insults? It's not adding anything to this thread / board, except probably stressing out the people on the receiving end.

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:11 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
Can we please stop the personal insults? It's not adding anything to this thread / board, except probably stressing out the people on the receiving end.

Thanks
On behalf of the Mod team, I'd second that. Let's keep this on topic, and leave the UK vs US thing for OMNI.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Still, I won't bore you with it - but do understand, for those not as travel-savvy as others, the threat of a trip being scuppered and time booked off work being wasted and money unquestionably going down the drain is not something which can be shrugged off as quite so blase and farcical as you suggest.
I understand your point of view.

However I do feel this is one situation which the Media has blown out of all proportion.

It always makes me laugh when they wheel someone out to the rear of the Renaissance car park at Heathrow to make a statement from Heathrow.

Yes it would be serious if was going to happen in two days time - surely that is more cause for alarm than nearly 3 weeks out - which I think was when the whole saga was first reported.

Besides for those not 'travel-savvy' (to use that turn of phrase) I would argue it has caused a lot of un-necessary worry and confusion over backroom discussions which the public has no control over one way or the other. The airlines had no commerical policy in place as it wasn't needed yet as it was too far away and to be honest probably knew it would get sorted in time one way or the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.