Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
There have been recent FT threads about ongoing flight cancellations and significant delays on some of my upcoming transpacific flights (both UA and QF). I hope they are back on time by the time I take the flights - with such a tight busy schedule things could get messy. Time for me to work out backup plans I think.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to LOS ANGELES (AKL-LAX) on Air NZ 747-400 in economy class

I headed out to the airport a bit early wanting to grab a shower before my evening flight. I'd noticed that my flight via NAN had gone from lots of 7s in availability to zeroed out on day of departure. Not coincidentally 1 of the 2 Air Pacific flights to Nadi today had been cancelled.

So when I arrived at check in I knew my odds of a row to myself or even empty middle seat were not good. There was an annotation on my record and the agent called someone and then told me I'd been bumped to the nonstop flight. Since that flight was also full (even oversold) my forward aisle seat was now a rear aisle seat. A good thing I didn't have a connection to make - being so many rows further back, and on a larger aircraft, will add at least 30 minutes to the time it will take me to clear immigration

Quickly through immigration and security to the lounge. After a shower I head to the computers. All 5 are occupied by kids playing games (despite the free playstations available in the lounge ). Fortunately the parent soon gets guilty at the queue of adults standing around waiting for a computer and moves her kids off the computers ^

After checking emails, FT, etc I grab some drink and head to the desk to enquire if anyone has failed to check in (thus could I improve on my seat). I'm told no - the flight is still full with just a couple of passengers still to check in.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
AUCKLAND to LOS ANGELES (AKL-LAX) on Air NZ 747-400 in economy class

I headed out to the airport a bit early wanting to grab a shower before my evening flight. I'd noticed that my flight via NAN had gone from lots of 7s in availability to zeroed out on day of departure. Not coincidentally 1 of the 2 Air Pacific flights to Nadi today had been cancelled.
It seems Air Pacific have been having a few problems lately
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

continued ...

I arranged to meet some FTers earlier than originally planned as the direct flight is due to arrive a few hours earlier than the flight via Nadi.

There is a passport check at the entrance to the gate area. While waiting to board I (along with a few others) were paged to the desk. My boarding pass was ripped up and I was handed a new one. Was this an elusive op-up? No such luck. I was given a middle seat (still near the back) - arrggghhhh. There is a good reason I pre-selected aisle seat all those months ago. I pointed this out to the agent who said he couldn't do anything, the flight is full.

Boo to the seat shifters. So in a space of a couple of hours I had been moved from the flight I'd selected to another because of an oversell situation, and from a forward aisle seat to a rear middle seat. I was not at all happy, and nor were my seatmates. This treatment I could understand if I had no status and checked in late. But for me the opposite applies - top status and checked in right on time.

Once boarding was complete and I overheard a ground staffer talking with an FA that there were 2 empty seats. I was even less pleased. An announcement was made over the PA of a 30+ minute delay for minor engineering work. Grrr - it would have been nice to have not boarded so early instead of being jammed uncomfortably in the seats for even longer, but I guess they may have expected the work to be quicker and wanted to be ready to leave the minute the work is completed (as some passengers are connecting to onward flights).

One of the empty seats was an aisle seat a couple of rows behind me (where I had been placed until the switch at the gate) and the family occupying 5 of the 6 seats between aisle and window in 2 adjacent rows took pity on us and so we shuffled seats to make the best of the situation.

Dinner was a choice of herb crusted chicken (more crust than chicken) or beef. Salad, roll, ice cream and of course drinks. Upon requesting a water bottle I got a 1.5 l bottle ^

I watched some movies and dozed but did not sleep well.

We made up time en route but still arrived late thanks to having to taxi three quarters of the way around LAX to our gate. This was a quiet time at T2 and thus only our flight at immigration. Unfortunately they were undermanned with just 2 desks for a 747 full load of (mostly) foreigners Eventually the officers on the US citizens desks also processed foreigners, but it was still very slow going. It took me 80 minutes to reach the immigration desk. At least I was processed quickly - probably because I've had so many visits to USA. In under a minute I was through both immigration and customs and on my way to pick up a shuttle to the 4 Points LAX, as a convenient meeting place before heading off for lunch (and a few drinks) with Maple Leaf, +1 and SkiAdcock. BTW at T2 there is a new computerised hotel information system in place instead of the old board with phones - apparently it was turned on less than an hour before I arrived landside.

After lunch we headed back to the 4 Points for beer - where cstead and angelino228 joined us.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LOS ANGELES to AUCKLAND (LAX-AKL) on Air NZ 747-400 in economy class

I arrived at check in early (so I could take a shower). The flight was totally full so no empty seat beside me. I enquired about the other flights and they were also totally full so switching flights would not help at all.

The nice agent was however able to check me in for my onward flights which saves me some time later. The queues for security (and pre-security boarding pass check) were the shortest I've ever seen them at LAX T2, and I was at the lounge within 10 minutes. Note for self - turn up before 6pm in future.

I grabbed a shower then some drink and food. The wine went down rather well, perhaps a bit too well. As with the lounge at AKL they had staff wandering around with tasty nibbles and drink, as well as the buffet and you can of course also help yourself.

An announcement was made for each of the 3 Air NZ flights when the cabin crew boarded the aircraft - advising that boarding was due in 15-20 minutes, slightly late on my flight. However, 5 minutes later boarding was called. So we boarded on time. We had 2 no shows and I was very fortunate that one of them was the middle seat beside me. I don't know if it is my imagination but row 37 seemed to have an extra 1" of pitch compared with other NZ 744 economy seats I've had recently (excluding bulkhead and exit row). I welcomed that extra inch, but it reminded me that other flights I will have much less legroom (and kneeroom).

After boarding we were held up for unspecified reasons and I drifted off to sleep, awaking when the dinner choices were announced over the PA. (When I checked later it seems the flight left almost an hour late.)

The passenger in front of me was reluctant to sit upright during meal service and reclined as soon as she had finished, which was when I was just getting started (she had a special meal thus served much earlier). Grrr. The meal was a choice of herb crusted chicken (again) and steak, both with the usual salad, roll, dessert and drinks.

Again I got a water bottle (500 ml this time), and also a business class noise reducing headset ^

I slept the next several hours waking a little before breakfast. I watched another (short) movie, timing it just right for the IFE being switched off on descent.

Breakfast was a choice of fruit plate or omelette with hash brown and mushrooms, fruit, yoghurt and roll, orange juice and the usual drinks.

We made up some time en route but arrived late. Immigration queues were not too bad and I was through customs and x-ray in a couple of minutes, just in time to catch the transfer bus to domestic (otherwise I would have walked across). It seems the earlier Qantas flight from Los Angeles was also quite late. But the effect of arriving at a busy period (and having bags to collect off the carousel) was apparent - for I made the same transfer bus despite my flight leaving Los Angeles more than an hour after the Qantas flight.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There are showers and a nice bathroom (but paper towels not cloth).
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to LOS ANGELES (AKL-LAX) on Qantas 747-400 in economy class

A few hectic days later and I'm on my way straight from work to the airport, stuck in a traffic jam. The afternoon of the last working day before Christmas is always like this. Strictly there is another working day on December 24th, but most people are taking that day off. It was a hot steamy day - just the kind of weather you don't want while sitting in traffic hardly moving. Eventually we get through the jam in suburbia and onto the southwestern motorway which is moving freely.

After a rough day I arrive at check in later than intended and slightly frazzled. Perhaps that is why the premium lobby check in agent tried to explain things to me as if I'd never flown before despite my seeing my top airline status.

But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. Let's rewind a day first for a brief diversion.

A week or so ago I noted the loads and decided op-up chances were low so put in a mileage upgrade request. The day before my flight (something like 30 hours before departure) my booking changed in Qantas "Your Bookings" from economy confirmed to business waitlisted. Sometime overnight (less than 24 hours before departure) my waitlist cleared and points were deducted from my account.

There was only 1 seat available in the checkmytrip.com seatmap, but from availability tools I knew business class was not too full.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to LOS ANGELES (AKL-LAX) on Qantas 747-400 in business class

With loads light I first checked that this was not one of the unusual occurrences whereby a 3 class aircraft is used on this route where first class is not sold. For if it was one of those lucky times I would go for the nose, and most likely get a first class seat thanks to my status. The check in agent was puzzled by my checks and seemed to not understand.

My next preference for seat was a lower deck aisle seat in the rear business class cabin, for on a lightly loaded flight this almost guarantees an empty seat beside me. However the check in agent thought he was being helpful by steering me to the upper deck exit row - "it's what most people request" and seemed to not understand that it's popularity was a reason I didn't particularly want it tonight. He was undeterred so I ended up in the exit row, left wondering if the seat beside me would stay empty or not.

I paid my departure tax (credit card only), wished the agent a merry Christmas and proceeded to the immigration desk within the lobby. An elderly couple was regaling the agent with a lengthy story of their plans for the next month or so. Eventually they moved on, and I was processed quickly.

On the way to immigration I noticed the check in area was a heaving mass of people. A lot of very full flights today, with some airlines putting on extra flights as well. Unlike some I enjoy travelling at this time of year. There always seems to be an air of excitement, particularly among families and infrequent travellers but even jaded road warriors are generally happy to be heading home for the holidays. At immigration I take the pre-cleared line. Today it probably saved an hour waiting in an enormous queue.

Inside the first class lounge (access by status) I am welcomed back as always and given towels and toiletries so I can take a shower. Once refreshed I grab a couple of drinks (nothing too wonderful on offer) and take a late, very late, light lunch. I catch up on some emails, which keeps me busy until boarding is called about an hour late (due to the late arrival of the aircraft from Melbourne).
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Los Angeles business class menu

DINNER

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. You can choose the full menu after take-off or our Express meal is available at any time.

Entree

Salad of lamb with cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs

Main Courses

Seared snapper with preserved lemon butter and moroccan vegetable couscous

Creamy tarragon and vinegar chicken with zucchini, beans and orzo

Beef fillet with red win jus, asparagus and glazed carrots

Green leaf salad with mustard vinaigrette

Dessert

Selection of seasonal cheese and dried fruit

Chocolate espresso mousse tart with candied hazelnuts and creme anglaise

Sliced fresh fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona chocolates

EXPRESS DINNER

To assist in providing you with a flexible dining experience, choose the following menu as an express meal after take-off or nominate your preferred time to dine later in the flight.

Mushroom soup with chive creme fraiche

Salad of lamb with cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs

Green leaf salad with herb vinaigrette

REFRESHMENT

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight. Your flight attendant will be pleased to prepare your selection or simply snack from our inflight bar.

Toasted sourdough baguette with smoked salmon, cream cheese, roasted red capsicum and baby spinach

Toasted turkish bread with prosciutto, fontina, semi dried tomatoes and rocket leaves

or

Create your own toasted sandwich from the following selection

sourdough baguette or turkish bread with:

smoked salmon
prosciutto
cream cheese
fontina
roasted red capsicum
semi dried tomatoes
baby spinach
rocket leaves

Fresh whole fruit

Chocolate orange melting moments

Cheese and biscuits

Chocolate bars

BREAKFAST

To assist in maximising your rest, a pre-ordered breakfast is available. Simply complete the breakfast order card for collection by your flight attendant.

BREAKFAST pre-order menu

Simply complete this card and hand to your flight attendant to pre-order breakfast

Orange juice
Apple juice
Peach energiser drink

Toast
Croissant
Pineapple and sultana muffin

Strawberry jam
Honey
Orange marmalade
Vegemite

Fruit salad
With yoghurt

Toasted muesli
With full cream milk
With low fat milk

Hot Selection

Scrambled eggs
Grilled bacon
Smoked salmon
English spinach
Sauteed mushrooms
Slow roasted tomatoes

Hot Beverages

Grinders coffee
bodum
decaffeinated

Dilmah tea
english breakfast
jasmine green
chamomile
peppermint

Milk
full cream milk
low fat milk

Sugar
sugar
low calorie sweetener

Hot chocolate

Hot and cold beverages are available at any time during your flight

Express Breakfast

A warmed pineapple and sultana muffin served with your choice of a hot beverage

If I am sleeping, please do not wake me to dine.

BEVERAGES menu

Champagne

Australian Wine [a new edition of the wine guide]

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi white rum
Chivas regal scotch whisky
Inner circle (green dot) dark rum 57.2%
Tanqueray london dry gin
The glenlivet malt whisky
Wild turkey 86.8 bourbon
Wyborowa classic vodka

Beers

For your enjoyment we have a selection of premium international and Australian beers onboard today.

Non Alcoholic

Apple juice
Orange juice
Spicy tomato juice
Tomato juice
Mineral water
Soda water
Tonic water
Bundaberg ginger beer
Cola
Diet cola
Ginger ale
Lemonade
Solo - lemon squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders coffee
bodum
decaffeinated

Dilmah tea
chamomile
english breakfast
jasmine green
peppermint

Hot chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey's irish cream
Cointreau

Fortified

Penfolds bluestone 10yo tawny
Rutherglen liqueur muscat

Cognac
Martell vsop
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

On my way to the gate a call is made that "the flight is ready to depart, all passengers should now be onboard". That didn't seem right given the lounge staff lack nonchalance. Sure enough at the passport check at the top of the stairs and escalator down to the gate, I see that boarding for economy class has only just started. It's all very well having an automated system for announcements and the departures board, but if it doesn't get updated for live status it is basically useless.

I notice through the melee that there is a separate (and empty) boarding lane for business class and elites and make my over. The agent manning this line waves away my passport - don't worry I know who you are.

Onboard I settle in to my seat upstairs. The other exit row seat beside me is indeed taken but the passenger wants to swap for another seat and does so once boarding is completed. The upper deck is about 3/4 full.

Amenity kits and sweaters (yes in business class) are handed out. Nice to see a change of policy - originally the Auckland flights missed out with sweaters only on the prime long overnight flights.

We managed to lose time on the ground in Auckland. The captains announcement however included a ramble about how they were going to fly faster than normal to try to minimise the delay to our arrival time, and how that wasn't a green thing to do.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry for the interruption - yet another flight intruded on the report.

The flight was good - I managed to get some sleep. The IFE had not changed much since my extensive flying in October and thus I'd seen almost everything of interest.

There was some confusion when I awoke at the end of breakfast. My pre-order form had been lost. But since I only wanted a drink that was no problem.

We'd made up some time en route and landed only slightly late. However a long taxi to a remote stand and the time it took for buses to take us to terminal 4 (not TBIT) meant we arrived rather late. We were the only flight being processed by T4 immigration, and I was one of the first off the bus so I didn't have long to wait. The immigration line checker didn't like that I was in transit to Australia and implied I would have trouble with the immigration officer. Fortunately no problems with that, nor that I'd had a similar visit to USA so recently and I was soon on my way, albeit more than an hour later than I was due to arrive.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LOS ANGELES to SAN FRANCISCO (LAX-SFO) on American MD80 in economy class

Upstairs and straight to security for I already had my boarding pass. The queues at security were short but I picked the wrong line with an officer taking an inordinate amount of time to check the image of one bag. Then sit and think for a while. Asked the officer behind him for a second opinion. Then wait some more. Then sit there waiting for a supervisor who took 10 minutes to turn up. Eventually the supervisor said the bag was okay (all this without inspecting the bag - just by looking at the image) and finally I was through.

I headed for the Flagship Lounge for a shower, then a couple of drinks. The food and drink seem to be getting worse each time I visit here. Don't get me wrong it is nicer than the Admirals Club lounge next door, but for example on NM's JW index it is now a Black. Food consisted of an unidentifiable soup (at least it was in a soup urn), cheese and crackers, selected fruit, potato crisps and mini croissants.

On my way out to the AC to use the computers I picked up the access card so as to re-enter the FL later. I sorted out my email and a few messages, made a couple of posts on FT then gave up for the connection was terrible.

I have just enough time for a couple more drinks before heading out to the gate. At this stage both aa.com and the departure screens show as on time. At the gate there is no aircraft but it soon arrives. Our flight is delayed 40 minutes or so.

The flight is totally full. A standby list of a dozen or so are told they've all been put on standby for the next flight.

I show my card to board with group one (as my boarding pass was printed in New Zealand it does not have a group number printed on it) and take my seat. We take off as the sun sets. In this forward part of the economy cabin almost all the overhead lights are broken. Grrr - at least it is a short flight.

We deplane to a chilly San Francisco.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

San Francisco to Sydney business class menu

DINNER

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. You can choose the full menu after take-off, or if you prefer to dine later simply complete the dine-later card for collection by your flight attendant.

Main Courses

Toasted baguette with chicken mayonnaise, provolone, char grilled zucchini and baby cos

A large bowl of soup au pistou with pancetta and tarragon

Seared sea bass with parsley caper sauce and braised roman beans

Beef fillet with balsamic onions, roast beetroot and broccoli

Green leaf salad with feta and black olives

Dessert

Selection of seasonal cheese and dried fruit

Sicilian ricotta cheesecake with cream

Sliced fresh fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona chocolates

REFRESHMENT

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight. Your flight attendant will be pleased to prepare your selection or simply snack from our inflight bar.

Toasted panini with salami, gruyere, marinated artichokes and tomato relish

Toasted baguette with chicken mayonnaise, provolone, char grilled zucchini and baby cos

or

Create your own toasted sandwich from the following selection

panini or baguette with:

salami
marinated artichokes
chicken mayonnaise
char grilled zucchini
gruyere
tomato relish
provolone
baby cos leaves

Fresh whole fruit

Chocolate orange melting moments

Cheese and biscuits

Chocolate bars

BREAKFAST

To assist in maximising your rest, a pre-ordered breakfast is available. Simply complete the breakfast order card for collection by your flight attendant.

BREAKFAST pre-order menu

Simply complete this card and hand to your flight attendant to pre-order breakfast

Orange juice
Apple juice
Honey and banana energiser drink

Toast
Croissant
muffin

Strawberry jam
Honey
Orange marmalade
Vegemite

Fruit salad
With yoghurt

Toasted muesli
With full cream milk
With low fat milk

Hot Selection

Scrambled eggs
Grilled bacon
Smoked salmon
English spinach
Sausages
Slow roasted tomatoes

Hot Beverages

Grinders coffee
bodum
decaffeinated

Dilmah tea
english breakfast
jasmine green
chamomile
peppermint

Milk
full cream milk
low fat milk

Sugar
sugar
low calorie sweetener

Hot chocolate

Hot and cold beverages are available at any time during your flight

Express Breakfast

A warmed muffin served with your choice of a hot beverage

If I am sleeping, please do not wake me to dine.

BEVERAGES menu

Champagne

Australian Wine [a new edition of the wine guide]

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi white rum
Chivas regal scotch whisky
Inner circle (green dot) dark rum 57.2%
Tanqueray london dry gin
The glenlivet malt whisky
Wild turkey 86.8 bourbon
Wyborowa classic vodka

Beers

For your enjoyment we have a selection of premium international and Australian beers onboard today.

Non Alcoholic

Apple juice
Orange juice
Spicy tomato juice
Tomato juice
Mineral water
Soda water
Tonic water
Bundaberg ginger beer
Cola
Diet cola
Ginger ale
Lemonade
Solo - lemon squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders coffee
bodum
decaffeinated

Dilmah tea
chamomile
english breakfast
jasmine green
peppermint

Hot chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey's irish cream
Cointreau

Fortified

Penfolds bluestone 10yo tawny
Rutherglen liqueur muscat

Cognac
Martell vsop
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SAN FRANCISCO to SYDNEY (SFO-SYD) on Qantas 747-400 in business class

I checked in at the international terminal, satisfied that my upgrade had been confirmed. For a while it looked like business class as well as economy might be oversold but no double upgrade for me.

I got a call from another FTer who was flying the same route but on United and was already airside. I headed through security, which had no queues at this early hour, and explored a few back passages but there seemed to be no way between *A and OW piers.

I then headed for the BA first class lounge, which is a little room within the terraces. The QF website confused me by referring to the San Francisco lounge having computers but no showers, when the BA lounge had showers but no computers. It wasn't until later when I double-checked that I saw the website refers to JL's lounge rather than BA's.

So instead of catching up on messages I showered, rested and drank, not necessarily in that order. The shower was very basic - collect a key from reception.

The first class lounge has a nose-on view of the a/c as it comes into the gate. The drink selection is modest - black on NM's JW index and Mumms for champagne. Food is some apples that look very plasticky, potato chips and sandwiches.

The lounge has an entrance to the airbridge to save going out to the gate.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Onboard the flight is again very full, except in first class which is almost empty. That explains why the first class lounge never had more than 4 pax (including me travelling in business).

Nonetheless I had a great seat. Sweater and amenity kit are handed out before departure. Departure was delayed slightly for some connecting passengers - and I'd say boarding took longer than normal due to all the infrequent travellers. The 2 beside me were excited to have their first international trip, and it was in business class - a nice way to start! The downside is they wanted to talk a lot and were unsure about pretty much everything. Those (slight) bumps, are they normal?

Anyway we left. With a longer flight I opted for both meals. I managed some sleep but not as much as I'd like or expected given the flight length. I did however manage to sleep right through some moderate turbulence mid-flight.

We arrived in Sydney only slightly late. No express immigration cards were available Through passengers continuing on the same flight number had to deplane and clear security as a different aircraft was being used for the Sydney to Melbourne leg. This caught out a few people who had bought liquid duty free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.