Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Transiting at LHR for MAN: Clear Immigration at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

So I am moving to UK by Dec end Flying DSM-LHR-MAN on UA/BMI (the last leg being on BMI.) I am not a US citizen but have a valid UK visa and don't know nothing abt LHR. Tried searching FT and also looked at LHR website but I must not have looked hard enuf.

Can somebody pls tell me if I will need to clear immigration at LHR or MAN? I have around 3.5 hrs layover at LHR.

If I do have to clear immigration at LHR, I presume I have to clear security again - in which case can I bring my laptop bag and carry on bag w/me thru security? Or the 1pc rule is going to apply even for a transiting passenger....?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:20 am

You clear immigration at the first entry point into the country - which in this case is Heathrow.

You will also have to clear security again which in the case of the UK means ONE BAG and not one bag plus a laptop. There have been reports of exceptions to that BUT I wouldn't guarantee it on any particular day

Cabin Lugage

Connecting at Heathrow
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
The good news is that you'll clear immigration after the LHR flight connection centre (FCC), which does generally have shorter lines. It's a short stroll from the FCC to T1 domestic flights.

Also, rumour has it that the FCC is more lenient with two items of hand baggage for connecting customers.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks... what's a Flight Connection Center..? An area of the airport only transiting passengers have access to?

I'm going crazy; need to move for good in like ten days... I have a feeling I will need to ask a lot of questions either here or in other "UK Life" forums which I need to find
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
this link might help.

http://www.baa.com/portal/page/LHR%5...0357e120a____/

ian.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:33 pm
Suspended

you CANNOT take 2 pc hand luggage yet, it will change early Jan, dont even think about trying to beat the system they will make you check it in
Old Dec 22, 2007, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Just so I'm reading things correctly at the LHR website, I will need to clear immigration/customs at LHR - but I won't need to collect my checked baggage and give it back to BMI post-customs (as is the case in the US), right?

The heathrow website is pretty helpful, I just found out I will need to do a Terminal transfer - arriving at T3 departing for MAN at T1. The FCC concept seems pretty cool, although one would think security shouldn't required for FCC, since that area will only have transiting passengers who would have already gone thru security prior to boarding their LHR flights. O well. Thanks for the feedback everyone, looking forward to moving to UK

PS: Sorry, but I have one more question. If I fly in to LHR w/my carryon bag and a laptop bag, and if the guys at LHR decide that they won't let me have 1+1, will BMI checkin my carry on from LHR to MAN for no charge, or I will have to pay for it......

Last edited by enthusiastic flier; Dec 22, 2007 at 8:02 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
Thanks. Just so I'm reading things correctly at the LHR website, I will need to clear immigration/customs at LHR - but I won't need to collect my checked baggage and give it back to BMI post-customs (as is the case in the US), right?

The heathrow website is pretty helpful, I just found out I will need to do a Terminal transfer - arriving at T3 departing for MAN at T1. The FCC concept seems pretty cool, although one would think security shouldn't required for FCC, since that area will only have transiting passengers who would have already gone thru security prior to boarding their LHR flights. O well. Thanks for the feedback everyone, looking forward to moving to UK

PS: Sorry, but I have one more question. If I fly in to LHR w/my carryon bag and a laptop bag, and if the guys at LHR decide that they won't let me have 1+1, will BMI checkin my carry on from LHR to MAN for no charge, or I will have to pay for it......
1. Correct, you clear customs at MAN and immigration at LHR. Note that your baggage is arriving at MAN on a domestic flight (so the rest of the baggage doesn't clear customs); they use special tags, one-way mirrors and selective checks for customs enforcement. Quite different (and much friendlier) than the US system.

2. All UK airports do a full security check on in-transit pax, as "the security check at their originating airport may have been inadequate". Expect long lines (over an hour is common at peak times) and strict enforcement of the bag size as well as one-bag rule. Also the liquid ban applies to any duty-free you might have bought -- it will be confiscated if purchased outside of the UK and is anywhere close to liquid.

3.BD charges for all checked baggage for UK flights. Worse yet if you need to check baggage you will need to go landside -- this in turn means clearing immigration and customs at LHR (never mind that you already cleared immigration in-transit) and can take long enough to cause you to miss your flight. Best to avoid this by having only 1 bag and no extra items.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Also the liquid ban applies to any duty-free you might have bought -- it will be confiscated if purchased outside of the UK and is anywhere close to liquid.
It will be confiscated if purchased outside the EU, isn't sealed or isn't in a sealed bag giving the date and place of purchase
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:28 am

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
just a rumor

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Also, rumour has it that the FCC is more lenient with two items of hand baggage for connecting customers.
it's a compete rumour... however worked for me a on the 14th (in from Singapore to Dublin via LHR) and again today (in from New York to Dublin via LHR)

The staff don't seem to care how many bags you have, only if you have liquids. I really didn't want to point out how much of a human is water. The results might cause some concern for us all on flyertalk(!)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:36 am

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
ground side

Originally Posted by alanR
It will be confiscated if purchased outside the EU, isn't sealed or isn't in a sealed bag giving the date and place of purchase
HOWEVER is you have to go ground side after arriving at LHR for a connecting flight (i.e. from Ireland ) you will get lose the duty free alcohol. There is no direct airside connection from the irish flights to the various flight connections centers

The young dalek impersonators "one bag... one bag... one bag..." will extract the alcohol from you. They really act like brainless parrots and generally will leave at least one person in the queue you might join in tears (like the poor aussie girl who had flown from Perth transiting through LHR on the 16th and had not been told to stay airside...)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by davork
There is no direct airside connection from the irish flights to the various flight connections centers
You better tell Heathrow Airport

What about liquids if I am connecting from the EU?

If you are arriving from the EU, you can fly with all liquids purchased from your originating airport or on board your inbound flight, providing you have proof of purchase and the item was bought less than 24 hours previously.

Heathrow Airport Security Rules
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:02 am
Original Poster

I MOVED TO UK!!! Thanks to the advice on here, my transit at LHR was smooth. I knew what to expect and hence it was a lot easier. FWIW just to re-itirate what's already been reported here, most of the travellers seemed to have UK sized carry-ons' (1 pc), but quite a few had what I would call US sized carry-ons (2pcs) and went in w/no issues (women w/a carry-on and a "purse" were quite common as well.) I had a laptop bag and a small shoulder sling bag on me, so I stopped sweating after I saw the policy being flexible at the FCC. I realize however, they would be a lot stricter at the "regular" security checkpoints out there.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.