Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 3:58 pm Reason: Updated index of my TRs
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Index to this trip report
  1. Introduction
  2. Auckland to Tokyo (AKL-NRT) on Air NZ 777-200ER in economy class
  3. In transit in Tokyo
  4. Tokyo to Christchurch (NRT-CHC) on Air NZ 777-200ER in economy class
  5. Christchurch to Auckland (CHC-AKL) on Air NZ 737-300 in economy class
  6. Auckland to Los Angeles (AKL-LAX) on Air NZ 747-400 in economy class
  7. Los Angeles to Auckland (LAX-AKL) on Air NZ 747-400 in economy class
  8. Auckland to Los Angeles (AKL-LAX) on Qantas 747-400 in economy class
  9. Auckland to Los Angeles (AKL-LAX) on Qantas 747-400 in business class
  10. Auckland to Los Angeles business class menu
  11. Los Angeles to San Francisco (LAX-SFO) on American MD80 in economy class
  12. San Francisco to Sydney business class menu
  13. San Francisco to Sydney (SFO-SYD) on Qantas 747-400 in business class
  14. Sydney to Melbourne (SYD-MEL) on Qantas 747-400 in business class
  15. Melbourne to Auckland (MEL-AKL) on Qantas 747-400 in economy class
  16. Auckland to Melbourne business class menu
  17. Auckland to Melbourne (AKL-MEL) on Qantas 747-400 in business class (with first class seats)
  18. Melbourne to Singapore business class menu
  19. Melbourne to Singapore (MEL-SIN) on Qantas 747-400 in business class
  20. Los Angeles to Sydney first class menu
  21. Los Angeles transit
  22. Los Angeles to Sydney (LAX-SYD) on Qantas 747-400 in first class
  23. Sydney to Auckland (SYD-AKL) on Qantas 767-300 in business class
  24. Sydney to Auckland business class menu
  25. Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) on Singapore 777-200ER in business class
  26. Auckland to Singapore business class menu
  27. Singapore to Hong Kong business class menu
  28. Singapore to Hong Kong (SIN-HKG) on Singapore 777-300ER (77W) in business class
  29. Hong Kong to Singapore (HKG-SIN) on Singapore 777-300ER (77W) in business class
  30. Hong Kong to Singapore business class menu
  31. Singapore to Auckland business class menu
  32. Singapore to Auckland (SIN-AKL) on Singapore 747-400 (MH leased aircraft) in business class
  33. Auckland to Honolulu (AKL-HNL) on Air New Zealand 767-300 in business class
  34. In transit in Honolulu
  35. Honolulu to Los Angeles (HNL-LAX) on United 767-300 in first class
  36. Auckland to Honolulu business class menu
  37. In transit in Los Angeles
  38. Los Angeles to Los Angeles (LAX-LAX) on American MD80 in economy class
  39. Los Angeles to Sydney (LAX-SYD) on United 747-400 in first class
  40. Los Angeles to Sydney first class menu
  41. Sydney to Auckland business class menu
  42. Sydney to Auckland (SYD-AKL) on Air New Zealand A320 in business class
  43. Auckland to Sydney business class menu
  44. Auckland to Sydney (AKL-SYD) on Air New Zealand 767-300 in business class
  45. In transit in Sydney
  46. Sydney to Los Angeles business class menu
  47. Sydney to Los Angeles (SYD-LAX) on United 747-400 in business class
  48. Los Angeles to Los Angeles (LAX-LAX) on Virgin America in A320 in first class
  49. Los Angeles to Sydney business class menu
  50. Los Angeles to Sydney (LAX-SYD) on United 747-400 in business class
  51. Sydney to Melbourne business class menu
  52. Sydney to Melbourne (SYD-MEL) on United 747-400 in business class
  53. Melbourne to Auckland business class menu
  54. Melbourne to Auckland (MEL-AKL) on Air New Zealand 747-400 in business class
  55. Auckland to Osaka Kansai (AKL-KIX) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class
  56. Auckland to Osaka business class menu
  57. Osaka to Christchurch business class menu
  58. In transit in Osaka
  59. Osaka Kansai to Christchurch (KIX-CHC) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class
  60. Christchurch to Auckland (CHC-AKL) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in economy class

=====================

INTRODUCTION

Looking at my schedule I notice I have quite a lot of transpacific flights within a 5 week period, and that they are on a mixture of airlines and classes of travel. So I thought it might be useful reporting on them together in one place to aid comparisons.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to TOKYO (AKL-NRT) on NZ 777-200ER in economy

Apologies for the false start. I didn't realise how little time I had before boarding.

Another early start to head to the airport. Fortunately this flight is not as early as the first Australian flights, but still early enough for me. I got dropped off at domestic terminal and I walked across to international in the fine, still morning air. From the monitors I noticed check in was already open which surprised me and headed to the Air NZ premium check in lobby (for business class, premium economy, star alliance gold and koru club). At 6am this was fairly quiet - a lull between the first wave of Australian departures and the next wave.

I was checked into the first flight fairly easily. I checked how full the flight was and thus whether it would be possible to have the seat beside me blocked. 3 empties (assuming everyone turns up) and from a peek at the expected pax sheet I was one of only a couple of top elites on the flight. My chances were moderate. Nonetheless a phone call to seating returned a less optimistic answer. I could take a seat right at the back and hope the seat alongside stays empty (no promises) or keep with the seat I had. Incidentally this is a different seat (not quite as far forward) to the one I'd pre-selected months ago For reasons that hopefully will be obvious shortly, I elected to keep the seat I had and thus guarantee I wouldn't have an empty seat beside me.

I realise NZ doesn't guarantee seat selections, but once onboard there was no obvious reason why I'd been moved. No higher status pax in my seat to bump me off my selection, not needed to keep a family or group together. I hadn't selected a bulkhead seat so it wasn't that they needed my seat to use the bassinet. Oh well - at least it was only a couple of rows further back. If it had been 10 or more rows then I wouldn't have been happy.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I had a short transfer at NRT, which incidentally can no longer be booked on NZ's website due to forced minimum connection time on the website far in excess of actual MCT (why oh why do they do this? putting artificial constraints just causes headaches and drives business away &/or to a TA unneccessarily).

So I was keen to get the return boarding pass, which can normally be done for many destinations (including Tokyo on SQ ex-AKL). This is also a reason for rejecting a seat at the rear of the aircraft. With time short and potentially needing to get checked in either at transfer desk or landside check in every minute getting out of the aircraft could be vital.

I was able to change seats on the onward flight, in order to ensure an empty seat (load wasn't quite as full and they were prepared to put the block in). Once again, though, the first proffered seat did not match my selection months ago.

But when it came to print out the boarding pass the computer refused to do it. The agent tried lots of approaches, checked with the other agents, checked with IS and still no result. On another desk they thought they had a result, into that printer jammed up and wouldn't restart. Then finally a boarding pass spits out of a printer. Only it is the first flight. Another try and a blank boarding pass is ejected. By now some 30 minutes had elapsed. I had long ago consigned myself to the need to check in at Tokyo but hung around because the agent was so eager to try everything and yes I had time to kill. I was also keeping an eye out for mahasamatman (+1) who was due for their flight soon.

Finally, success ^ 30 minutes, involving several staff (both check in and other) - lucky it was so quiet at this time eh?, several computers and printers, and one star for persevering. A boarding pass was printed (albeit some incorrect info but given the hassles in getting this far I just crossed my fingers the incorrect info would not matter). I thanked the agents profusely and made a mental note of their names to follow up with NZ.

Then to the immigration officer. I am not sure what she thought about this odd passenger who had been trying to check in for more than 30 minutes and shuffling back and forth. Perhaps because of this I didn't get any questions about my short expected time away and was soon upstairs, through security and into the lounge.

I grabbed a coffee or three and checked my email. The lounge was initially fairly empty but steadily filled by the time my flight was called.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

As mentioned already, it was a full flight (not only in economy but premium economy and business class had been sold out for weeks) and so boarding took a while. I'm struggling to remember the last time I took Air NZ longhaul which wasn't either totally full or very nearly so, perhaps as far back as May?

Before take off the ISM came by to say hello and offer a newspaper, which I declined having already read one in the lounge.

The December IFE magazine listing was onboard but we only had November programs loaded Here is what you get on NZ's AVOD system on 744/772 aircraft, in all cabins.

Shortly after take off we had breakfast. The offering was an omelette and sausage or Japanese option (salmon and rice), plus the usual drinks (champagne, several different juices, tea, coffee, water, green tea, or something stronger). Chopsticks supplied. Also fresh fruit selection, small roll, a low fat fruit yoghurt and a pottle of orange juice. Afterwards the crew came through regularly with water - at least every 45 minutes ^ Mid flight we were given a sorbet (mine leaked once it defrosted enough - fortunately onto the tray table not over me) and later some snack thing (sorry not sure what exactly as I missed it while dozing).

A couple of hours before landing we had lunch. Choice was beef with sauce or Japanese meal option of fish and rice (and veges, tofu etc).

I managed to get a little bit of sleep in flight.

Next up, transit in Tokyo.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: qantas platinum (OWE), hyatt platinum, hertz gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

The December IFE magazine listing was onboard but we only had November programs loaded Here is what you get on NZ's AVOD system on 744/772 aircraft, in all cabins.
Wow KF very impressive - I know on the QF website you can see a limited selection of their AVOD. Is there a way to access a list as complete as this?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

There used to be but I don't think so anymore

link to Air NZ website IFE page
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Tokyo

Once again I'm transitting at Narita airport, for maybe the 20th time in the past couple of years. See here and here for some recent transits, for example.

We had a gate at the end of the satellite pier, arriving after a long taxi. Despite two airbridges being connected for some reason only door 1L was used to disembark. By the time I got off there was a lot of people ahead of me along the pier. I power walked past most of them by the time I reached transit security. A couple of questions about my destination (I think I mentioned my boarding pass wasn't quite right earlier) and soon through.

I noticed the new Qantas lounge was right in front of me and appeared to be lit despite being earlier than the opening hours published on their website (1700). I tried my luck and the lounge had opened already. They accepted my open door entry (thanks to status) and reminded me (not that I needed reminding) that there would be no boarding call for my flight but it would still show on the monitor.

The lounge is quite nice, but not a touch on the JL F lounge at NRT which I'd visited a few times a month or so ago. Come to think of it this must be my 9th or 10th different lounge I've used at NRT, and there are still plenty I have yet to visit!

There are showers and a nice bathroom (but paper towels not cloth). A food area with various snacks and tasty nibbles, some soup, coffee and juices. A separate bar (around the corner from the food) with okay drink but nothing particular outstanding.

There are about a dozen computer terminals and wifi as well.

I caught up on some email, had a quick bite and couple of drinks, before heading out slightly early for my flight.

On the way I popped into the Sakura lounge - which Air NZ uses for premium and elite passengers (the unusual arrangement is due to the JL codeshares on the flights - which date back well before Air NZ joined *A).

The lounge agent double checked that I had lounge access - I guess most people using the lounge on Air NZ either are in business class, or have an invite card from check in at NRT. She reprinted my boarding pass - phew the anomaly was not important. I guess the reprint is so the BP works okay in the BP scanner at the gate?

I took a look around the lounge, which was heaving in comparison to the rather empty QF lounge I had just left. Drink selection was poor. There was no food out when I first wandered by the servery, but moments later a horde of passengers descended on a couple of plates of snacks which lasted all of 10 seconds before the plates were empty. Hmmm.

No computers or much else to amuse oneself (unless can read the Japanese newspapers or magazines), and with only a few minutes until boarding I decided to cut my losses and head over to the gate.

In the gate area some roving staff were checking carry-ons and asking more than a few people to gate check the larger ones. Boarding was called slightly late.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 4, 2007 at 4:58 pm
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOKYO to CHRISTCHURCH (NRT-CHC) on Air NZ 777-200ER in economy class

On boarding I was stopped at the aircraft door. Not for an op-up (business and premium economy again totally full), but to be given today's NZ newspaper ^ The FA had memorised my name on the load sheet as being the only top status pax in economy today and had the newspaper ready for me at the door. Wow

I settled into my seat early and it became apparent the middle seat block was working. Even better news followed, no - not an op-up, but rather an invite to a whole row they'd reserved for me. I accepted the offer in a flash and confirmed I could leave my bags at my allocated seat, and move their later for faster disembarkation. Hooray on this row at the back of the forward economy cabin the armrests go all the way up. I made a note to store this fact away for future reference when selecting seats. They don't on most seats due to the electronics in the armrest (at least since the AVOD system was installed).

The crew were fabulous - business headphones, a huge water bottle, premium economy mini amenity kit, asked before takeoff which meals if any I wanted to be woken for, extra blankets and pillows, business class wine, and so on.

Dinner was an hour after take off. A choice of steak and Japanese meal (fish and rice again).

I forgot to mention earlier that before each meal a wet warm cloth towel was handed out to freshen up with ^

I managed a fitful sleep and was woken about 3 hours prior to landing with the PA about breakfast choices. Grrr the noise cancelling headphones had slipped partly off during the night. It took an hour after the announcement (ie when I'd dozed back off) before the trolleys came through this cabin - why announce so early before they are ready? Surely it couldn't have taken them nearly an hour just to serve the rear economy cabin? I was sleepy so didn't take much notice of the breakfast offering.

All too soon we were descending over the Southern Alps into a bleak and cool Christchurch. Through passengers were asked to wait before disembarking to let those leaving in Christchurch off first.

I'd booked a separate flight from Christchurch in order to maximise mileage earning, and because I suspected immigration at Christchurch would be quicker and easier than immigration at Auckland. I was right. No wait at immigration. A few puzzled looks by the officer scanning my record and a welcome back. Straight through customs and x-ray, exit landside, and turn right for the connected domestic terminal.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND (CHC-AKL) on NZ 737-300 in economy class

I was able to use the quick check machine to get my boarding pass. I wasn't sure if this was going to be possible given the international flights on the same ticket. There were no better seats to change to. I was disappointed that between booking and the date of flight the A320 had changed to a 737-300, so no business class seat for me.

BTW you can very easily tell which (few) domestic flights are operated on A320 aircraft (and thus have 8 business class seats selectable by elites) - they have a flight number starting with 9xx, or 14xx or 15xx. When the operating aircraft switches to/from an A320 the leading 1 is added (change from 737-300 to A320) or removed (change from A320 to 737-300).

I headed through security and into the nice Koru Club lounge. Having skipped onboard I had a late breakfast - there was a wide selection of foods which was soon replaced by morning tea snacks and a bit later by lunch food. I caught up on email, some work and FT.

Eventually boarding was called. The flight was totally full. I skipped the tea coffee or water and tried to doze. I was too sleepy to read my book. The young kids sitting around me got to hand out the lollies before descent - hmmm this is a change (back to the old ways). Last time they were available only for those taking a hot drink, at the time of being served.

We arrived on time and I was quickly on my way.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thus ends the first section of this report. Stay tuned for a new instalment soon.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:39 pm

The crew were fabulous - business headphones, a huge water bottle, premium economy mini amenity kit, asked before takeoff which meals if any I wanted to be woken for, extra blankets and pillows, business class wine, and so on.
Wow, that sounds like great economy service! (well for NZ). But I though Premium Economy was given the Business amenity kit? Or is it different for this route?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It was great economy service ^

It has been a while since I've flown premium economy but unless it has changed recently (for the worse) I am sure the kit is not the business class one. I didn't get the business class slippers and IIRC missing something else as well. I'll have to check what that was. The kit itself was smaller - about half the size (so toothbrush sticking out) and not clear like the business class one.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:41 pm

It was great economy service ^

It has been a while since I've flown premium economy but unless it has changed recently (for the worse) I am sure the kit is not the business class one. I didn't get the business class slippers and IIRC missing something else as well. I'll have to check what that was. The kit itself was smaller - about half the size (so toothbrush sticking out) and not clear like the business class one.
Hmm interesting. So the eye-shade was folded up too (being longer than the toothbrush)?

I had thought Premium Economy got the same kit (which would make sense in terms of bulk buying... easier supply to the plane etc). Unless this is a NRT only difference...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I've now had a chance to check the mini amenity kit. It is half size bag for the business kit in the same clear(ish) plastic with zip closure. It had an eye mask, but no socks, ear plugs, toothbrush (yes sticking out the top) and toothpaste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.