Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
Cheers Kiwi Flyer, I was on that nonstop, which, I guess, it was - once it stated.

I observed your Chariot heading into the are as mine was being pushed back from the gate 65 minutes after boarding - something about needing to fill the water tanks.
I think the excuse they gave us was more plausible. I've had the same excuse most flights out of MEL around that time of day. Don't you think the airlines should put pressure on the airport to open up an additional lane or 2 of security?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to Phoenix (LAX-PHX) on United operated by Skywest CRJ200 economy class

Once again bag is gate checked. A shortish (80 minutes) flight through the night. Just time for one drinks round. We seemed to be flying over Phoenix and surrounding sprawl for some time before landing.

On arrival the airbridge was broken so we deplaned by stairs, picked up carry on and walked a few metres to stairs up into the airbridge. This all taking quite some time.

Inside the terminal I could hear announcement being made for those flying on the aircraft back to LAX who had missed their connections (including some to Asia)

I walked over from terminal 2 to terminal 4 to try to check in for my flights in the following afternoon. It is pedestrian unfriendly. No signs. Walk to T3 via some roads, a bridge and part of a carpark. Then walk the length of T3. Then continue on the verge (as the footpath runs out), crossing several ramps along the way. I could have taken a transfer bus but enjoyed the chance to stretch my legs. By the time I arrived at T4 (close to midnight) all the check in staff (other than Aeromexico) were gone - so a wasted effort. I then called for the hotel shuttle, which arrived shortly and was in the hotel and checked in fairly soon afterwards. A few messages to be sent out and I could head to a real bed again sometime around 2am.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Phoenix to Los Angeles (PHX-LAX) on US Airways A319 first class

I also tried checking in online to save time at the airport since I'd be rushing out from a meeting, but got an error message that my continuing international partner airline flight prevents OLCI.

So just over half a day later I'm heading back out to the airport. At check in I'm offered a buy up to first for $5. It takes me mere seconds to accept. I can drink more than that even on this short flight, and hopefully I'll get first class mileage 300% on this short segment.

I also get the boarding pass for the onward flight. Through elite line at security with minimal wait and up to the lounge. This is a sorry lounge on par with RCCs. While it is empty it has minimal amenities - no shower, no computers, pay for drinks (no chits for *G) and only cookies for food.

My gate is some distance away, so after checking on the monitors that the inbound flight arrived on time I head out early. The gate has changed since I checked in, but still in the same general area.

Boarding was on time and completed very quickly due to the light load. Then we wait while a maintenance guy comes on and pokes around.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:54 pm

Kiwi: Have you grown wings yet?!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

After a while the captain announces the smoke alarm is showing a fault. The maintenance guy leaves the a/c and comes back with replacement parts. That doesn't work. Repeats with more parts.

By now I'm starting to get anxious. In this situation they could finish quickly or keep going for hours. My onward flight is the last flight of the night to my destination, with the next flights being the next evening (yes lose a whole day if I miss) and from painful experience I know there is a (quite lengthy) minimum time required for the transfer. When I booked with 2 1/2 hours transfer time it seemed ample, and the next earlier flight was a couple of hours earlier meaning I would have missed even more of the meeting than I did. The longer the maintenance guy was messing around the more fragile my connection felt.

I asked the gate agent who is hanging around if there is another flight I can be protected on. This then starts a discussion with one of the FAs and a fellow concerned connecting passenger. As I wasn't allowed off the aircraft I txted for FTer help in identifying later flights out of LAX should I need them, but thinking to myself I may get stuck somewhere (PHX or LAX) or alternatively arrive many hours late on an alternate routing. Jenbel quickly came back with some options ^ and I waited some more.

Finally an hour late the doors are abruptly closed and we pushback. Phew.

The flight itself passes quickly - aided by the (too many to mention ) drinks I have to prepare myself for another overnight economy flight ahead Food consists of a small packet of nuts and a choice of a small packet of crisps, biscoff biscuits or something else I couldn't make out.

Again it is a bit foggy at LAX but reasonable views of the city on approach. Taxi is short and our gate is near the terminal exit.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to Auckland (LAX-AKL) on Air New Zealand 747-400 economy class

I raced along the sidewalk to T2, and joined the long security queue via the premium/elite line for boarding pass check. It annoys me that the elite bit merely skips the queue to join the long security queue. Why can't the premium/elite benefit be to have a shorter security queue? As always security takes ages, not helped by many FAs and staff jumping the queue. Once through I head to the lounge to give up my departure card, get the boarding pass reissued and enquire if I can improve my seat (which again is a window instead of my preferred aisle seat). I was told the flight was completely full - no seat change for me.

I have enough time for a fast shower, and a few very quick drinks before heading out to the gate - for boarding is delayed. We leave 30 minutes or so late. While annoyed at getting a window seat I'm pleased to note the middle is the only empty seat on the aircraft ^

This is the first time I've sat at the side bulkhead economy seat on the 744 since premium economy was extended downstairs. There is reasonable legroom (several inches more than other economy seats), but there is not a feeling of space for the bulkhead wall bulges out towards you - which also makes it tricky to squeeze past other passenger(s). The inseat tray table and video monitor means the width is slightly narrower than other seats and armrests are immovable.

Dinner is choice of chicken or beef, plus salad, dessert, cheese and crackers, and of course free drinks. Breakfast is a choice of large fruit plate or omelette + small fruit selection, and yoghurt, muffin, orange juice and other drinks.

Service is spotty. At one stage they took an hour to get me a top up water - if I was in the aisle seat I would have headed to the galley to get it, and somehow they missed giving me a water bottle But at another stage I ended up with 3 glasses of bubbly in a short space of time!

All the drink worked nicely and I managed a reasonable amount of sleep even with my seat kept upright. (I also kept my seat upright on the flight over - figuring there may be a chance to sleep through meal service before arrival, and also maximising the space for the passengers behind me.)

We arrived late but this meant no queues at immigration, customs or xray. Despite all of business and premium economy, plus some economy passengers deplaning before me, I managed to get landside and in a cab within 5 minutes of entering the airbridge ^
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'll have some more trivia soon, as well as a wrapup of this long 4 week trip. Anyone guess how many US states I overflew on this report?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
Kiwi Flyer

This trip report has been a fantastic read. Everyday I've looked forward to catching up on your latest updates.

Well done^^^
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Anyone guess how many US states I overflew on this report?
27?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:54 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Thanks Kiwi Flyer for this report !!! ^
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. SASfan - you're way too low. This GCM map may give a few clues, although of course many flights were not close to the great circle routing.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thanks for the comments. SASfan - you're way too low. This GCM map may give a few clues, although of course many flights were not close to the great circle routing.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Why not... 38?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Hmmmm, better odds than the Star Alliance 'quiz'!

I reckon 14 were missed, leaving 36 being flown over by Kiwi-Flyer.

Based on the following being missed (I plotted them all on Google Earth, but actual routes will vary..):

Alaska
Hawaii
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Rhode Is
Delaware
Maryland
Georgia
Nth Carolina
Sth Carolina
Alabama
Virginia (13 so far)

and either Tennessee or Indiana (DFW-BDL touches one or other

Cheers, TK
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Kiwi Flyer, thank you for this enjoyable and informative commentary. I've read bits and pieces and mostof the time you've been able to keep on the 'right' side of the fine line, other than Security and some check-in lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.