Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
This be true.

BTA, I'm seeing double re Posts #131 & #132.
Sorry about that. FT was rather slow and I was in a hurry to leave the lounge for my flight which had already started boarding since I did not want to gate check my bags if the bins were full. I clicked post and ran without checking it worked properly.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Vancouver to New York JFK business class menu

LUNCH

Starters

Seared tuna, oyster mushroom and grilled mango with horseradish sauce

Seasonal salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Main Courses

Prawn butterflies wrapped with bean curd skin, egg fried rice with green onion and assorted vegetables

Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom stuffing, roasted new potato, carrot, asparagus and tomato

Light Choice

Oriental barbecued duck salad with Asian vinaigrette

Cheese and Dessert

Cheddar, Oka and Blubry

Fresh seasonal fruit

Triple chocolate cake served with vanilla sauce

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Haagen Dazs ice cream

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke zero, coke light, coke, sprite, perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees

Freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte, regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

Champagne Deutz Brut Classic

White Wines

Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Sebastiani Sonoma County Chardonnary 2005

Red Wines

Kirrihill Companions Clare Valley Shiraz 2004

Chateau De Mercey Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Beaune 2005

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin, rum, vodka, martini rosso, martini extra dry, campari, sweet and dry sherry, bloody mary, screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas regal 12 years old, johnnie walker gold label, jack daniel's, canadian club

Cognac

Hine rare and delicate fine champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, cointreau, bailey's irish cream

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Cathay delight, pacific sunrise
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in New York

Rather than risk a misconnection if the Cathay Pacific flight was significantly late I decided not to schedule a late night flight out of New York, and instead stay in the city for almost a day. When checking transport information the previous day I'd come across reference to a 24 hour strike or partial strike by cabs. Given the hour of day and my unfamiliarity of the streets between train/subway station and hotel I decided to cab it. There was a notice by the booth that due to the strike shared cabs would be $30 instead of the usual $45, however if travelling alone the normal fares apply. Of course there was no cab in the queue when I arrived and while I waited I chatted with the attendants.

They were amazed at how much quicker out of the terminal I was compared to anyone else - for it was several minutes before the next passenger emerged. The lady also struggled to get her head around the concept of someone travelling alone on the other side of the world.

Anyway eventually a cab pulled up. Unfortunately there were no other people waiting in the queue and so normal fixed fare applied (take note simongr). It wasn't until half way into the city that I realised I could have, at least before the booth attendants called for a cab, simply taken the airtrain to a terminal that was busier at this time of night and shared a ride from there. Oh well - live and learn.

The ride into the city was reasonably quick even not taking the tollways! Slightly worringly the concierge at Doubletree Times Square did not have me listed as a guest but was happy to let me through to reception when I discretely waved my HHilton Diamond card. Upstairs they had no problem and I was soon in my room, freshening up and repacking for a busy day tomorrow.

While I got a high level room I didn't see much benefit from my status - there was no lounge, no breakfast, I didn't have a late checkout. If it had been a paid stay I would have been rather disappointed. Still, the location is great but I don't think I'll stay there again.

Up bright and early the next day. First I hit the pavement to see some of the touristy sights in the general vicinity. Then back to the hotel to check out before meeting up with cpx for coffee. Afterwards I had a lunch meeting with Wendy Perrin of Conde Naste and a very pleasant chat. There was a false alarm of "suspicious activity in the first floor" (ie Nasdaq) and I decided it was time to leave if I wanted to have enough time to shower before my flight.

I walked up to Penn Station and caught the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) train that was leaving less than a minute after I arrived. The fare is $5 - a little more than the subway but rather quicker. At Jamaica transfer to the airtrain (another $5). I thought I'd be clever and hopped off at terminal 1 intending to catch an airtrain on the inner loop which would get me to terminal 8 faster than going through all the other terminals first. However I soon realised it was not running and so caught the next train on the outer loop.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain
New York JFK to Seattle-Tacoma (JFK-SEA) on American 757 first class

Even though I already had a boarding pass I stopped by the first class counter to get it reissued (which AA requires in order to read in their boarding pass readers) and also to try to check in for my onward flights. No dice. Oh well.

I confirm I have understood correctly the location of the new flagship lounge (which only opened recently) and make my way through elite security line. The flagship lounge is not signposted - but as with LAX you go to the admirals club and there is an inner entrance. The elevators to the admirals club were out of order Okay for me to climb stairs but not so good for those less mobile.

Inside I had a shower, as I realised I would not be able to have one in Seattle. Then enough time for a drink or two, send off some emails and post some more of this report. FT was slow and before I realised it, it was time to go. Worse than that, boarding was already well underway at gate 1 and the lounge is past gate 12. I hope that there will still be room in the overhead bins, so I click post and race out and down the pier. I'm one of the last to board, joining a huge queue that fills the rather long airbridge. Progress into the aircraft is rather slow and we are past departure time before I even enter.

I lamented to my seatmate about how slow the boarding process was - he agreed and said 40 minutes is ridiculous. Which of course it is - some other airlines can board a wide-body in half that time (eg my recent Tokyo to Hong Kong on a full 747-400). The difference is more organised and far less carry on bags.

Fortunately there is space just a row behind my seat. We pushback late (of course) but have a rather quick (for JFK) 15 minutes taxi time. We are in the air under 30 minutes after scheduled departure.

The IFE is an odd mix of Eye on American, How I Met Your Mother, Cheers (a blast from the past), Viva Laughlin, and Nancy Drew. No headset (earpiece) is handed out, but I don't mind as have a good interesting chat with my seatmate almost the whole flight.

Meal orders were taken by status ^

We arrive on time, but pull up at the South satellite terminal instead of the usual (for American) pier A of the main terminal.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 24, 2007 at 6:50 am
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

New York JFK to Seattle-Tacoma first class menu

DINNER

To Start

Warm mixed nuts

Appetizer

Mojito shrimp served with somen noodles garnished with parsley

Salad

A combination salad featuring fresh seasonal greens, offered with your choice of pepper cream dressing or castello monte vibiano olive oil and balsamic vinegar and accompanied by a chili-cucumber salad

Bread Basket

Assorted gourmet breads

Entrees

Beef torta roma. Diced beef tenderloin and wild mushroom stew topped with fresh wilted spinach and spinach-strewn gnocchi.
May we suggest a glass of Westside Red, Paso Robles to complement this entree. Westside is a lively blend of several grapes including the syrah. This deep flavoured wine equalizes the beef tenderloin and wild mushroom stew.

Four cheese ravioli with tomato cream sauce. Ravioli pasta filled with four cheeses, complemented by a tomato cream sauce, sauteed onions and freshly chopped garlic.

Dessert

Ice cream sundae. Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal fruit toppings, whipped cream and pecans

or

Fruit and cheese. A selection of seasonal fruit and fine cheeses

To Finish

Ghirardelli chocolates

Light Refreshment

Freshly baked on board, Otis Spunkmeyer cookies

Pre-Arrival Beverage

Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish

Sparkling Wine

Louis Bouillot Cremant De Bourgogne Brut Rose

White Wines

Wente San Francisco Bay Chardonnay

Canyon Road Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wines

Redwood Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

Westside Red, Paso Robles

BEVERAGES

Spirits
Skyy vodka
Tanqueray gin
Bacardi rum
Glenlivet single malt scotch
Maker's mark bourbon
Crown royal canadian whisky
Dewar's white label scotch whiskey
Jack daniel's tennessee whiskey

Beers
Heineken, Amstel light and select US beers

Brandy and Liqueurs
Di saronno amaretto
Kahlua
Bailey's irish cream
Courvoisier vsop fine champagne cognac

Other beverages
Carbonated beverages
American Airlines premium blend
Regular and decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit juices
Milk
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seattle-Tacoma to Dallas Fort Worth (SEA-DFW) on American 757 first class

I had a few hours to kill before my red eye flight back east. I first wandered the terminal, enjoying the (very modest) exercise and the art displays. Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be but it seems to me that quite a lot of the displays have been changed in the year since I was last here.

Even after wandering all through the various piers I still had time to spare so I left airside, hoping like heck the weather would be nice enough for a walk outside for a change of scenery (not that I would see much). Fortunately it was a clear mild night - good for a walk. Eventually it was time to check in if I wanted to make the flight. At not long before midnight the check in areas (for all airlines) were rather quiet so I got boarding passes for the next 3 flights in no time.

There was a short queue at security. The lady in front inside a jar contained only powder, but the screeners decided they were sure it was liquid and so opened the sealed (ie never been opened) jar to confirm that yes it really was powder.

I hurried to the gate for boarding was about to begin. I noticed another airline's flight was showing as on-time despite the arriving flight not being at the gate at the scheduled time of departure.

At the gate I notice there has been an aircraft swap since I booked it, from the MD-80 to 757. Yay (although the lack of headrest is annoying, and unlike the daytime flight from JFK for this red-eye there are no pillows ).

I notice at pre-boarding some elderly fakers. The same mature passengers who had no trouble walking from security to the gate (a moderate distance) suddenly developed a bad limp when pre-boarding begins and struggle to make it to the airbridge from their seats right in front. I don't know if they were travelling together but on this flight there were rather a lot of them - maybe a dozen in all

... to be continued ... (time for me to board another flight)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 24, 2007 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:19 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Unhappy

Kiwi Flyer, you are making me very jealous. I can only dream of a DONE4 these days . Great to hear you made SeaTac and await the onward flights.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I was first on board other than the pre-boarders. The next couple of pax to board noted that I was already in my bulkhead aisle seat, alone, with carry-on already stowed and talking with the FA, and thus put 2 & 2 together to make "FAM" <nodding agreement and pointing at me>. I was in a whimsical mood so decided to play along - chatting with the FAs and making these notes (which perhaps they interpret as paperwork or speed sudoko?).

For the first time flying a US-based airline on a domestic 2-class (or 3-class) flight, I experience the premium cabin not being full (and I don't count United's E+ seats as a premium cabin). Not only is it not full but first is barely half full and I am the only passenger in the bulkhead row!

I have a pre-departure water, intending to sleep this short midcon red-eye. Despite the light load boarding takes some 40 minutes so no early departure. Our taxi however is fast and we are soon airborne.

After takeoff I found myself awake and overstimulated so I had a couple of drinks and caught up on some more notes. No, I hadn't been partaking of Seattle's infamous liquid refreshments (coffee).

I wonder what the passengers who identified me as a FAM thought of that! Or of me later falling asleep?

I managed an hour or so before waking for descent into Dallas Fort Worth. We arrived slightly early. For the second or third time this trip my onward flight was not mentioned in the list of connecting flight/gate information. I speculate they limit to connections under 90 minutes?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Dallas Fort Worth to San Juan (DFW-SJU) on American 757 business class

For those unfamiliar with American Airlines, their Caribbean 2-class flights are sold as business and economy (coach) rather than first and economy. I'm not sure why, and it is a bit annoying to earn slightly less points and significantly less status credits. However, this is one of the trade-offs I made between maximising earning and including some new places I haven't been to before. I still managed to route so that each flight is over the key 1200 miles and thus zone 3 earning.

On arrival I checked the monitors and confirmed that yes I'd need to change terminals. This doesn't take long and I'm soon in the Admirals Club. No drink chits - too early I guess.

I head out for the nearby departure gate some 45 minutes before scheduled departure to find that boarding is already well underway - group 2 is currently boarding. This is ridiculous!

Meal is breakfast, served not long after departure. Choice of omelette or sugary cereal, plus fruit, bagel or biscuit (more like a scone in my eyes), and tea coffee water etc.

IFE is Eye on American and Fantastic Four.

I doze at first but then have some coffees to stay awake and enjoy the unfolding views. New Orleans, the mouths of the Mississippi River, south Florida, the Bahamas, many Caribbean islands and reefs (less than a week after flying over the Great Barrier Reef), the larger island of Dominica/Haiti and finally Puerto Rico.

I have some time before my onward flight so head past a live band to the quaint Admirals Club.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It's all the same
San Juan to New York JFK (SJU-JFK) on American A300-600 business class

Boarding went smoothly and we took off on time. Nice views for the brief time we fly over the island before turning north straight for New York. The first 90 minutes or so we weaved our way through a field of thunderstorms.

The meal was chicken or pasta, with salad soggy with dressing (no choice not to have it applied), roll and cheesecake. No cookie or chocolate. Drinks were plentiful before and during dinner (which was served early in the flight) but service became non-existant for the second half of the flight.

The in-flight entertainment was Eye on American, How I Met Your Mother and Fantastic Four.

Halfway through the flight a passenger came forward and was acting rather crazily. Fortunately he responded to the FA's shouting to return to his seat in the economy cabin. I noticed several of the business class passengers tense and exchange anxious looks. Shortly after, and I'm sure not coincidentally, there was a request for a doctor to make themselves known to cabin crew. We didn't turn for the lower eastern seaboard and that was the last I heard or saw anything to do with the minor incident other than on arrival a ground staff halting deplaning while asking if there was a medical emergency onboard.

We were to have a short flight time of about 3 hours and thus due to arrive very early. The captain announced shortly after take off that rain was heading towards JFK and sure enough it did beat us there. Thus we had a long 70 mile detour and instead arrived only slightly early. Still it could have been much worse. Newark for example was experiencing delays of nearly 3 hours! No views of Long Island though due to the low cloud and drizzle.

We got a gate on the satellite terminal, almost at the end. It is quite a long walk (15 minutes walking very fast) down the satellite, through the tunnel, along the length of the main terminal 8 building and across the road to the airtrain. Then a short ride to Federal Circle stop to pick up my hotel shuttle - which was waiting for me. Five minutes later I was at the hotel and checked in on a gloomy night.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

New York JFK to Bridgetown (JFK-BGI) on American 757 business class

I'd checked to see if I could try out Virgin America during this transit but while I could take a late night flight out west after arriving from San Juan, the return (on any airline) would not get back to JFK early enough for my onward flight.

A full shuttle to the airport. With terminal 8 being the last of several stops it took half an hour to reach the terminal - if there were footpaths you could walk from the hotel in less time. I checked in at the premium check in row and through security fairly quickly - the premium/elite line moving as fast as the long economy line despite using only one screening station vs several. The benefit of most passengers travelling frequently. Certainly it was better than the other day when the passenger before me took a few minutes to empty out pockets, remove liquid baggy, remove laptop, remove shoes, remove jacket - none of which he started until right in front of the WTMD (grrr).

Up to the Admirals Club, where once again the elevator wasn't working. Inside I had to remind the agent to give me the access card for the Flagship Lounge. This lounge was deserted - I was the only passenger here. I noticed the departure monitors still were not working (they were not the previous time I was here either). So I hopped on a computer and while catching up on messages opened a window for flightstats to keep an eye on the likely delays caused by the intermittent drizzle.

I noticed that the flightstats departure times were later than those listed on aa.com. Perhaps they are requested take-off slots rather than pushback times? So I decided to ignore the flightstats 30+ minute delay and instead head to the gate at normal time for boarding. Once again we get gate 1. I notice there are lots of caribbean flights leaving from the low numbered gates today.

Boarding takes 40 minutes for this full flight.

Meal is beef or pasta, plus salad drenched in dressing (no choice) and a roll. There is no dessert but a biscuit is served later.

In flight entertainment was Eye on American and Viva Laughlin, Fantastic 4, and Cheers.

We arrived at Bridgetown not long after a Virgin Atlantic 747 and a British Airways 777. Deplane by stairs - no airbridges here. For some reason we got a bus to go the short distance to immigration, whereas VS and BA passengers just walked across the apron. I wanted to walk to beat some of the queues but was not allowed.

There were huge queues, but as I had an onward international flight departing in under 3 hours I was able to bypass and use the short transit line (showing a printout of my e-ticket to do so). For those not connecting, there are separate lines for Caribbean residents (short and processed quickly) and other (very long, but processed fairly quickly).
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It's all the same
Bridgetown to Saint Vincent (BGI-SVD) on LIAT operated by Caribbean Star Q300 economy class

When I planned this trip I realised I would have half a day in Bridgetown, and that it is but a short hop from several other Caribbean island countries. So, faced with a choice between spending some hours on a beach or making the most to fly some new airlines to some new countries I did what many Flyer Talkers would do and booked the side trip. I was slightly worried about the flight from JFK arriving too late to make the connection, but with the help of some analysis using flightstats I reasoned that the aircraft used in that flight normally sits overnight in JFK thus any delays should be fairly limited and hopefully not long enough to misconnect.

A rush to check in and get my boarding passes. Then back through immigration to the gate. A short wait to board. The flight was fairly full.

This first flight was a short hop west to Saint Vincent as the sun set. A bit bumpy due to the developing evening convection.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Saint Vincent to Port of Spain (SVD-POS) on LIAT Q300 economy class

A short connection but on arrival someone was waiting with a sign for transferring passengers. Straight onto next flight with doors closing behind us. By now it was getting dark, but could still feel the bumps. Another short flight.

Port of Spain is my 150th airport I've flown into/out of.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Port of Spain to Grenada (POS-GND) on LIAT Q300 economy class

Another short transit. Fortunately quickly processed. No views in the dark. Another short bumpy flight.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Grenada to Bridgetown (GND-BGI) on LIAT Q300 economy class

The same aircraft continues on to Bridgetown and we can stay on board. So no worries about the short 15 minute transit. More of the same.

On arrival the immigration queues are very short. I'm quickly processed, then change some money and hop in a cab for the Hilton. It takes about 15 minutes. The late night air is warm and sweet. We pass through fields of sugar cane as well as some villages. The fare is USD20 or BDS40.

At check in I am upgraded to an executive suite ^ A great room and shame I am only here a few hours. The executive lounge is already closed for the night (and still closed when I leave in the morning). Already in the room is a welcome gift of a bottle of Italian red wine, rum cake and also 2 complimentary water bottles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.