Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
When have I ever been that quiet?
Ha, good point!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:14 pm

I'm guessing you're on a flight that leaves past midnight? Those flights are never (supposed to be) allocated a gate above the mid-twenties, partly because the people mover shuts down around midnight and also because The Wing stays open until the last flight of the day, whereas the Pier closes at 11.30.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Yes the flight was scheduled past midnight and got a high 30s gate. There were at least 3 other flights past midnight at even higher numbered gates. Some not very happy passengers being kicked out of The Pier.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon on Cathay Pacific A330-300 business class

Just as my luck in getting an op-up on Cathay Pacific whenever not travelling in the highest cabin had to come to an end, which it did a week ago, so too my luck in only getting Cathay Pacific longhaul configured aircraft even on shorthaul routes had to come to an end. It did with this flight in 2-class regional configuration.

I noticed row 11 had no overhead bin space and row 12 had limited bin space, so was pleased with my pick for centre (in order no one climbs over me and I don't need to climb over any one) aisle seat in row 14. Sure enough the passenger in row 11 - boss man and his two lackeys are complaining about their bags being so far away from seat. Can they put it in the locker? No that is the emergency kit storage space. What about that other locker? (Points to toilet.) No storage there! I was half asleep and while this exchange was taking place I realised that it wasn't three passengers sitting at the front of business class at all, the two lackeys were in economy but wanted their bags near the boss. Good grief.

Business class was fairly empty - empty seat beside nearly everyone.

Before takeoff a basket was offered containing a micro amenity kit (socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a mint), plus eye mask and earplugs. The usual water, orange juice, champagne or Cathay's own non-alcoholic mix.

We push back on time but the shortened flight time of 2 1/2 hours means we arrive at Seoul at 0430. Ugg - even falling asleep before we reach the runway and being woken up on descent that still only gave 2 hours of sleep.

I was the first through transfer security for the day - which prompted the officers to run from their room to the machines to make sure I didn't try to slip through.

Then a wait for the lounges to open - the earliest opening at 0630. While I wandered I noticed there are free computers upstairs, but alas locked up until 0800. I hadn't noticed these on other trips, but then mostly I have been able to visit a lounge as soon as getting airside (or not long after).
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon business class menu

SUPPER

Starter

Seasonal salad with balsamic vinegar dressing

Main Courses

Braised sea bass fillet with preserved gooseberry sauce, steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Braised lamb shoulder rack, kipfler potatoes with parsley, roasted mixed vegetables

Roast corn-fed chicken breast with gravy kipfler potatoes, stewed bean ragout and asparagus

Cheese and Dessert

Cheese selection

Fresh seasonal fruit

Pear charlotte cake slice with vanilla sauce

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke zero, coke light, coke, sprite, perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees

Freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte, regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

Champagne Deutz Brut Classic

White Wines

Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Watershed Margaret River Unoaked Chardonnay 2005

Red Wines

Kirrihill Companions Clare Valley Shiraz 2004

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois Medoc 2003

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin, rum, vodka, martini rosso, martini extra dry, campari, sweet and dry sherry, bloody mary, screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas regal 12 years old, johnnie walker gold label, jack daniel's, canadian club

Cognac

Hine rare and delicate fine champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, cointreau, bailey's irish cream

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Cathay delight, pacific sunrise
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Then headed for the transfer bus. I must have just missed one as I waited 20 minutes to have the privilege ( ) of being sole passenger transferred to international terminal. Not at all surprising given the lack of arriving domestic flights this time of day and the scarce one world international departures (just 2). ...
I did this one or twice a month in the evenings for a year or so; in 99% of cases at that time of day the bus leaves like clockwork on the hour and every 20 minutes.

I had it timed; for me it is precisely a 3 minute trip from the SYD QP business area to the Transfer Bus Desk - If I already had my BP I would leave exactly 5 minutes beforehand and be through and down the escalator to stand by the door as it was opened for the next bus.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
I did this one or twice a month in the evenings for a year or so; in 99% of cases at that time of day the bus leaves like clockwork on the hour and every 20 minutes.

I had it timed; for me it is precisely a 3 minute trip from the SYD QP business area to the Transfer Bus Desk - If I already had my BP I would leave exactly 5 minutes beforehand and be through and down the escalator to stand by the door as it was opened for the next bus.
I don't do dom->int transfers at SYD as often as you but I knew that. I was just slightly off in my timing (or the previous driver left slightly early).
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't do dom->int transfers at SYD as often as you but I knew that. I was just slightly off in my timing (or the previous driver left slightly early).
Once or twice the B*s left early or there was some issue at the the desk and I missed it - in most cases I would simply do a U turn and head back to the QP for a 10 minute HP ... (not a bad idea back in my Sapphire Days as the Int J lounge only had Cr@p postmix type beer)
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seoul Incheon to Hong Kong (ICN-HKG) on Cathay Pacific A330-300 business class

Eventually the lounge opened and I used the facilities until boarding. The lounge is okay but not as good as Singapore Airline's lounge at ICN. The first class section is simply a handful of chairs with a cardboard sign labelling them first class. Also, important for some FTers, no alcohol - at least not at this time of day.

The flight is very empty in business class, and not particularly full in economy either. So we pushback early. The usual long taxi at ICN for takeoffs normally in the opposite direction to landing so as to easily avoid North Korean airspace.

Since I was asleep for the flight up I check out the IFE - it is non-avod and has about a dozen movies plus a couple of shows. The personal tv is rather small.

I dozed a bit more.

We arrived into Hong Kong early but had a short wait on the apron for the gate to be cleared of the previous aircraft. I went to transfer desk and got checked in for the next flights - 2 more boarding passes. Then through security and up to The Wing for a shower.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seoul Incheon to Hong Kong business class menu

BREAKFAST

Starters

Juice selection

Assorted seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Assorted cereals

Main Courses

Omelette with creamed mushrooms, hashed brown potatoes, emmental sausage and grilled cherry tomato

Stir-fried shredded beef with e-fu noodles

Congee with chicken and ginseng

Bread Basket

Assorted rolls and breakfast pastries served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke zero, coke light, coke, sprite, perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees

Freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte, regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Vancouver (HKG-YVR) on American operated by Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

After a while the gate was assigned for my flight - a higher numbered one. I had plenty of time to stay in The Wing, but the poor service prompted me to move to The Pier. Some more drinks and catch up on a few days worth of messages and it was time to board.

Once again I'd booked under the American Airlines flight number in order to get the status bonus miles. For long flights such as these it can be quite worthwhile. The downside is lower priority for operational upgrades, of which there were a few on this oversold flight. But never mind.

Unlike other flights ex-Hong Kong this time the passport was checked at the gate and everyone's carry-ons were opened for an extremely cursory check in the airbridge - just so they could meet USA's requirements with the minimum disruption to passengers. I notice it is much the same in many other countries for flights to USA. The search is not a real search and seems most unlikely to find anything, but is a large waste of time and annoyance to many thousands of travellers.

Since I previously checked the seat map some days earlier there had been an aircraft swap. This time we got one with the new business class that is a (unauthorised?) copy of the Virgin Atlantic (and Air New Zealand) lie flat seats in herringbone layout.

However, it seems to me to be a much inferior copy. For starters the seat is very narrow. Air New Zealand has just 5 rows of 1+1 forward of the emergency exit row whereas Cathay Pacific has 6 rows and further the row closest to the emergency exit is well clear of the exit whereas on Air NZ there is a slight overlap.

The walls between the seats also seem higher. So for the widest pax it could be really uncomfortable, and also not good for those prone to claustraphobia.

There are other differences. The ottoman is not strong enough to sit on thus is a footstool. The table is smaller. The seat reclines to a flat bed - no need to flip it over. There are less in seat storage spaces, although still better than British Airways new or old Club World seat.

The seat belt has no airbag. Instead there is a diagonal shoulder belt as well as the lap belt, and the shoulder belt needs to be worn on takeoff and landing. However there was no info that I could find on any brace position - Air NZ makes special mention in the safety video that the brace position differs in business class due to the herringbone design.

We are not allowed by the FAs to recline the seat for take off, despite the button for the preset position giving a small amount of recline (similar to Air NZ's or British Airways default seat position for business class and club world respectively).

The IFE is the same as on the other longhaul Cathay Pacific aircraft, albeit with a slightly different look to the menu, and the controller has extra functions much like on Singapore Airlines 77W aircraft. There is a time to go on the current movie/show, the route and time to go on the flight. However this time to go stopped being accurate once we crossed the international date line (and still showed the same information on the subsequent flight from Vancouver to JFK).

After dinner I, and most others it seems, slept. Breakfast was served quite early at some 3 hours before arrival. Given the short flight time today this meant sleep time was a couple of hours shorter than I'd expected. The IFE was switched off/crashed more than an hour before landing

The blinds were left down for landing!

The transit procedure for those, like me, continuing to New York JFK was poorly explained. I guess there is no option to go through immigration and use the lounge, but I was unable to find out for sure. (If the flight arrived on time there likely would not be enough time to try, but when it arrives early I would guess there is enough time.) Instead most of the passengers were herding into the locked gate area. Unlike international transits in USA there is no need to clear immigration or go through security. But this also meant no amenities (although midway through the transit some tea, coffee and water were brought out).

Apparently for flights in the reverse direction the transit stop is much shorter (no need for extensive security checks as required by USA) and passengers have the choice of remaining onboard or exitting into the gate.

Reboarding was started late, thus we spent 2 hours cooped up in the gate. Yawn.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2007 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Vancouver business class menu

LUNCH

Starters

Szechuan hot-smoked salmon and gravlax with honey mustard dressing

Mixed salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Main Courses

Stir-fried beef with assorted mushroom in oyster sauce, steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Sauteed sea bass with puttanesca sauce, mashed potatoes with parsley, roasted pumpkin and French beans

Steamed meat patty with Yunnam ham and dried shrimps, steamed rice and choy sum

Lasagne with wild mushroom cream sauce

Cheese and Dessert

Cheese selection

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolate mascorpone cream cake with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

SNACKS

Sandwich selection

Tandoori chicken skewer with cucumber raita

Shrimp wontons in noodle soup

Sauteed sliced pork with preserved vegetable and boiled choy sum in noodle soup

Haagen Dazs ice cream

REFRESHMENT

Starters

Orange or apple juioce

Forest berry smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Assorted cereals

Main Courses

Omelette with pan-fried pork sausage, bacon, oven roasted potatoes and braised bean ragout

Chinese dim sum served with chilli sauce

Frittata with sun-dried tomato and feta cheese, chicken sausage, creamed spinach and vine ripened tomato

Bread Basket

Assorted rolls and breakfast pastries served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coffees

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

Champagne Deutz Brut Classic

White Wines

Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Sebastiani Sonoma County Chardonnary 2005

Red Wines

Kirrihill Companions Clare Valley Shiraz 2004

Chateau De Mercey Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Beaune 2005

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin, rum, vodka, martini rosso, martini extra dry, campari, sweet and dry sherry, bloody mary, screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas regal 12 years old, johnnie walker gold label, jack daniel's, canadian club

Cognac

Hine rare and delicate fine champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, cointreau, bailey's irish cream

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Cathay delight, pacific sunrise
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Apparently for flights in the reverse direction the transit stop is much shorter ... and passengers have the choice of remaining onboard or exitting into the gate. ...
This be true.

BTA, I'm seeing double re Posts #131 & #132. Fixed!

Last edited by serfty; Oct 24, 2007 at 6:06 am Reason: The power of a moderator!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 4:55 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Fantastic trip report KiwiFlyer. Keep up the great work. ^^^
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Vancouver to New York JFK (YVR-JFK) on American operated by Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

The temperature had fallen considerably during our transit and it was a chilly walk up the airbridge, but not before first fighting way through the amassed hordes who had ignored the instructions over PA that they were boarding only first and business class transit passengers at this time (this was of course after pre-boarding for those who needed assistance). Transit passengers being boarded first so they can easily cross-check the number of transit "cards" against expected number.

Once onboard it was even colder - postively frigid, and so several passengers in the upper deck cabin asked for extra blankets. I was worried this would then be a signal for the temperature to be cranked right up but it was kept cool (how I like it) the entire flight. I prefer a cool aircraft to a hot one for it is easy to add layers but not so easy (or pleasant for fellow passengers) to remove clothing if too hot.

Despite the high proportion of passengers travelling through from Hong Kong to New York, the upper deck is lightly loaded for this second leg.

We pushback somewhat late. I doze for part of the flight but then do stay awake realising that to sleep the whole flight won't be good for adjusting to the new time zone.

We arrive at JFK airport early thanks to strong tailwinds and less hassles with ATC than usual. Taxi is also fairly quick. Despite deplaning from the front half of the upper deck, I'm the second alien to arrive at immigration and so quickly through. I had a few nervous moments when the agent flips through my passport trying to find stamps for Hong Kong and then for previous countries. Eventually he gave up and lets me on my way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.