Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Cairns to Sydney on Qantas 737-800 business class

Much the same as a couple of days ago. IFE No Reservations. Meal was dinner but the same choices as the lunch on Cairns to Melbourne (ie veal or chicken salad).

Flight also full and unusually there were no less than 5 babies in the small business class cabin. Fortunately they were all well behaved.

Nice views of Great Barrier Reef, Hunter Valley and central Sydney. Flew past the airport almost to Wollongong before landing from the south - a change of runway direction from the morning.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Sydney

As I didn't have the onward international boarding pass, and check in for that flight was a wee way from opening I headed straight for the domestic lounge instead. Caught up with some more work and FT. Then headed for the transfer bus. I must have just missed one as I waited 20 minutes to have the privilege ( ) of being sole passenger transferred to international terminal. Not at all surprising given the lack of arriving domestic flights this time of day and the scarce one world international departures (just 2).

For the first time in ages I turned right on arrival upstairs to go to check in instead of directly to immigration. At check in the agent only noticed my FFP status had somehow been lost when it spat out a business class lounge invite instead of first class. Grrrr - given the flight is oversold that loss of status recognition may well have cost me an op-up. Particularly annoying since I'd some weeks earlier confirmed my status was in the booking while selecting seats. Of course this meant my carefully pre-selected seat was also lost.

So that makes 2 one world alliance airlines that have conspired to lose my status recognition in less than a month.

I trek past the shops (for of course there is no short route between check in and immigration), get quickly through immigration and security and up to the first class lounge where I consol myself with a drink or three.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney Qantas First Class Lounge Breakfast Menu (dining area)

BREAKFAST
AVAILABLE UNTIL MIDDAY

Seasonal Fruit Salad

Shaw River Natural Yoghurt with Wild Flower Honey

Brookfarm Toasted Macadamia and Cranberry Muesli

Bircher Muesli

Warm Apple and Berry Breakfast Crumble

Orange and Cinnamon Pancakes with Banana and Maple Syrup Butter

Brasserie Bread Sourdough, Whole Grain or Fruit Toast, served with a choice of condiments

Wholegrain Toast with Hummus, Sumac Roasted Tomatoes and Fresh Basil *

Manna From Heaven Spinach and Persian Feta Tart

From the Bakery
Daily Selection of croissants, Danish pastries and freshly baked muffins, served with a choice of Alpine Berry Farm jams and condiments

ORGANIC EGGS
FOR A HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS START TO THE DAY

Eggs Benedict or Florentine

Organic Egg, Schultz Smokehouse Bacon and Tomato Relish Roll

Omelettes served with Sourdough Toast

Organic Egg Omelette with Leg Ham, Leek and Gruyere

Organic Egg Omelette with Tomato, Ricotta and Chives*

Smoked Salmon, Asparagus, Mascarpone and Herb Fritatta

Two Organic Eggs
Poached, Boiled or Fried, served with Sourdough Toast

Choice of Sides
Schulz Smokehouse Bacon, Organic Pork Sausages, Smoked Salmon, Roast Vine Ripened Tomato, Sauteed Field Mushrooms, Hash Potatoes

BREAKFAST BEVERAGES
FOR A LARGER SELECTION SEE THE BEVERAGE LIST

nudie Berry Energiser Drink, designed by Neil Perry

Freshly Squeezed Juice

Grinders Espresso Coffee

T2 Black and Herbal Tea

Hot Chocolate

* Healthier option
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney Qantas First Class Lounge All Day Menu (dining area)

ALL DAY DINING
AVAILABLE FROM MIDDAY

Seasonal Soup – ask your waiter for today’s selection

Vine Ripened Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad

Prosciutto, White Bean Puree, Globe Artichoke and Ligurian Olive Antipasto

Spice Crusted Rare Tuna Salad with Sumac Tomatoes and Preserved Lemon Dressing *

Chilli Salt Squid

Our Signature Club Sandwich with Barossa Free Range Chicken, Smokehouse Bacon and Aioli

Our Signature Burger with Smokehouse Bacon, Gruyere, Dill Pickle and Tomato Chilli Relish

Manna From Heaven Spinach and Persian Feta Tart

Organic Egg Omelette with Leg Ham, Leek and Gruyere

Organic Vegetable and Tofu Stir Fry with Black Bean and Chilli *

Spaghetti with Zucchini, Fresh Basil and Parmesan

Grilled Fish with Warm Potato, Speck and Asparagus Salad and Romesco Sauce

Barossa Free Range Chicken Schnitzel with Sourdough Crumbs, Braised Peas and Aioli

Barbecue Duck, Shiitake Mushroom and Rice Noodle Stir Fry with Tamarind Sauce

Minute Steak with Café de Paris Butter and Fries

SIDE DISHES
TO COMPLEMENT YOUR MEAL

Green Leaf Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

Sauteed Green Beans with Colonna Lemon Oil

Sweet Potato and Ginger Puree

Fries

CHEESE AND DESSERT
PLEASE ASK YOUR HOST FOR TODAY’S CHOICES

Seasonal Fruit Plate

Nice Cream Hazelnut Ice Cream, Belgian White Chocolate Ice Cream, Lemon Sorbet or Mixed Berry Sorbet

Manna From Heaven Raspberry and Passionfruit Cake with Mascarpone

Manna From Heaven Warm Apple Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream

Cheese, hand selected by Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments Farmhouse Cheddar, Rouzaire Brillat Savarin

PLATE OF THE DAY
PLEASE ASK YOUR HOST FOR THE DAILY ADDITION TO THE MENU

* Healthier option
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney Qantas First Class Lounge Beverages Menu (dining area)

WINE LIST

White Wine

Henschke Julius Riesling 2007, Eden Valley, South Australia

Delatite Pinot Gris 2006, Delatite, Victoria

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc 2007, Marlborough, New Zealand

Yering Station Chardonnay 2005, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Dominique Portet Fontaine Rose 2006, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Champagne

Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial

Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin

Red Wine

Giant Steps Pinot Noir 2005, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Torbreck The Steading 2005, Grenache Mataro & Shiraz, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Bannockburn Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2000, Geelong, Victoria

Yering Station Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Dessert Wine

De Bortoli Noble One 2004, Riverina, New South Wales

BEVERAGE LIST

Aperitifs

Campari, Cinzano Blanco, Noilly Prat

Spirits

Glenlivet 18yo Malt Whiskey
Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whiskey
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Bombay Sapphire Dry London Gin
Tanqueray Gin
Wyborowa Single Estate Vodka
Bellvedere Vodka
Bacardi White Rum
Inner Circle Dark Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Wild Turkey Bourbon
Jack Daniels Bourbon
Cuervo Tequila

Beers

Cascade Light, Cascade, Heineken, Crown Lager, James Squire

Digestives, Liqueurs and Ports

Bailey’s Irish Cream
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
St Agnes 5yo Brandy
Martell Biscuit VSOP
Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris Liqueur Tawny
Morris Liqueur Muscat
Morris Liqueur Tokay
Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry

NON ALCOHOLIC

Range of freshly squeezed juices
Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Tomato Juice
nudie Passionfruit and Orange Energiser Drink, designed by Neil Perry
nudie Mango and Passionfruit Juice
nudie Strawberry and Banana Juice
San Pellegrino Acqua Panna Natural Mineral Water
San Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water
San Pellegrino Chinotto, San Pellegrino Limonata, San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa
Ginger Ale, Lemonade, Cola, Diet Cola

HOT BEVERAGES

COFFEE
ESPRESSO COFFEES USE THE PREMIUM GIANCARLO BLEND FROM GRINDERS COFFEE

Espresso, Long Black, Café Latte, Flat White, Cappuccino, Mocha, Decaffeinated, Filter, Liqueur Coffee

Hot Chocolate

TEA
A SELECTION OF TEAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY T2 FROM SOME OF THE FINEST TEA PLANTATIONS IN THE WORLD

Peppermint
Lemongrass and Ginger
English Breakfast
Earl Grey
China Jasmine
Chamomile
Chai
Sencha
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Whatever you done don't try to explain
Sydney to Hong Kong (SYD-HKG) on Cathay Pacific A330-300 business class

I had enough time for a shower and a couple of drinks before boarding was called. Boarding was quick and we pushed back 10 minutes ahead of schedule. This surprised me especially when the captain announced a shorter than normal flight time.

In the end there were a couple of no shows so the flight wasn't quite totally full. One passenger who happened to have an empty seat beside when doors closed decided to move from aisle to window seat to stretch out a bit. He was then unhappy when the cabin crew moved someone else into his vacated aisle seat in order to provide easy access for her husband in first class to visit her.

Pre departure drink of water, orange juice or champagne. Hot towel. Shortly after take off the menu and amenity kit were handed out.

The supper service was very quick and I was soon off to sleep, waking only an hour before arrival as breakfast service was just finishing up. Even so they managed to serve me a quick breakfast before start of descent.

Even with a long taxi to gate 1 we arrived half an hour early. Immigration was not yet open but transfer security was. Arriving so early the lounges were of course closed (The Wing opens 0545 and The Pier 0630). However there is a mini lounge at the entrance to The Wing which is already open. This has drinks (various hot and cold non-alcoholic), food, playstations, newspapers and magazines, comfy chairs, bathroom but no computers and no showers. That is, it would pass as a reasonable lounge in many airports in the USA.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Hong Kong business class menu

SUPPER

Starter

Seasonal salad with prawns with palm sugar dressing

Main Courses

Braised ling fish with bean curd skin and water chestnuts, steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables

Grilled beef tenderloin with green and yellow beans, potato and leek gratin with red wine jus

Light Selection

Wontons in noodle soup with chilli sauce

Cheese and Dessert

Kirima Camembert, Whitestone blue and Aged Cheddar

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolate cake served with King Island cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

SNACKS

Wontons in noodle soup

Chicek and pesto panini

Ice cream

BREAKFAST

Starters

Orange or apple juice

Pear, ginger and chamomile smoothie

Assorted seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Assorted cereals

Main Courses

Roasted vegetable frittata with bacon, pork sausage, sauteed tomato and mushroom with Hollandaise sauce

Chinese dim sum served with chilli sauce

Congee with fish cake and seafood dumpling

Bread Basket

Assorted rolls and breakfast pastries served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke zero, coke light, coke, sprite, perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees

Freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte, regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

Champagne Deutz Brut Classic

White Wines

Sacred Hill Marlborough Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Watershed Margaret River Unoaked Chardonnay 2005

Red Wines

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois 2004

Kirrihill Companions Clare Valley Shiraz 2004

Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos 1996

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin, rum, vodka, martini rosso, martini extra dry, campari, sweet and dry sherry, bloody mary, screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas regal 12 years old, johnnie walker gold label, jack daniel's, canadian club

Cognac

Hine rare and delicate fine champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, cointreau, bailey's irish cream

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Cathay delight, pacific sunrise
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Trivial interlude

It seems that in the first 15 days of this trip report, plus the previous 2 weeks, I have flown more than 50 flights and 100,000 flown miles. But this personal record will not last long
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Potential derailment. It is under an hour to my next flight and transfer desk was unable to check me in If I fail to make this flight there are 3 later flights I could take and still make my onward connection but they are all zeroed out. If Cathay Pacific allowed return check in like many other major airlines I wouldn't be in this situation. Stay tuned.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Tokyo Narita on Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

When the lounge proper opened I grabbed a shower and tried to make a dent in my email/messages backlog. With so few hours on the ground it is hard to keep up. I asked to get my onward boarding pass but was told not possible for return check in.

We got one of the longest airbridges as our gate. With lots of business travellers the first/business/elite line was almost as long as the economy line at the gate, but boarding was fairly quick.

The flight was totally full but I'd managed to nab an upper deck exit row window seat ^

Meal & service was the same as when I took the same flight several days earlier (refer earlier menu post). The crew were a bit friendlier, but also less professional (eg forgetting to offer bread, no second drinks round).

The skies were clearer and offered better views of Taiwan, various islands and then the Japanese mainland.

Just before arrival the flight path showed connecting gate information - mainly various flights to USA but also my onward flight back to Hong Kong. A long taxi on arrival to the main terminal 2 building.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 21, 2007 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Tokyo Narita

Unfortunately we got the gate at the end of the pier. Knowing the connection time was shortish and not knowing when check in closes for the flight, I raced down to transfer desk opposite immigration and just past security (showed my ticket to get through). There are separate desks for each airline, and Cathay Pacific having several flights in the next couple of hours had a long queue. There was a sign which seemed to indicate the queues were for economy pax only and for first/business pax to go upstairs (to their lounge I realised once I got upstairs and saw no further transfer desks).

So I headed to the Cathay Pacific lounge up a further level (accessible only by slow lift) and asked to be checked in at the desk. It transpired that they couldn't check in at the lounge but rather an agent would take my ticket, passport and FF card down to the transfer desk and check in for me. Okay I thought.

I grabbed a drink and had barely drunk half of it when the agent returned with the words "sorry we couldn't check you in at transfer desk, please try at the gate". Oh dear. I had enough presence of mind to do a quick check on the computer for other OW flights to Hong Kong or alternatively to my next destination. There were several later flights to Hong Kong that would arrive in time for the next flight I was booked on, but all were zeroed out.

By now it was some 30 minutes before departure. So I treked back to the gate.

Before I go - a quick description of the lounge. Nowhere near as good as the JL first class lounge, which I could not access since I had no boarding pass, however passable enough. It was very full. There were several computers (no printers though), food and drink, comfy chairs, tv, newspapers and magazines. I'm not sure if it had a smoking room or showers.

Now back to a sprint down the pier - almost bowling a few people over along the way At the gate just as boarding is beginning and yes I can still check in. Phew. I'm handed one boarding pass (I'd hoped for two but beggars can't be chosers) when I notice that once again my status has dropped off. Grrrr. They add and reprint and I hop back onboard, in fact to the very same seat I'd left not too many minutes before.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tokyo Narita to Taipei on Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

The flight is almost full. The only spare business class seat is the one beside me ^

Somehow during the short while since I was in the same seat gremlins have been at work. The IFE isn't working properly on my seat, and on the seat next door. No-one else is having problems. They try resetting it about 5 or 6 times but to no avail. I give up and stick to reading and dozing.

On arrival at Taipei passengers continuing to Hong Kong are given the choice of staying onboard for the approx 1 hour transit, or taking all their carry-ons and going into the terminal for about 30 minutes before reboarding. Given the need to clear security, walk some distance to and from the lounge etc I figured it wasn't worth it and so stayed onboard and instead enjoyed a few drinks while cleaners cleaned and caterers catered.

An engineer checked out my seat for the IFE, which he managed to fix, and for the snake lamps which were flickering continuously like a strobe, which he also managed to fix.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tokyo Narita to Taipei business class menu

DINNER

Starters

Szechuan hot smoked salmon and gravlas with honey mustard dressing

Main Courses

Braised beef sukini with bean curd, shiitake mushrooms and shirataki Japanese rice

Corn-fed chicken with brown sauce, steamed potato wedges, carrot and zucchini, French beans with mixed vegetables in cream sauce

Sauteed sea bass with spring onions, steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Dessert

Haagen Dazs ice cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke zero, coke light, coke, sprite, perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees

Freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte, regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

White Wines

Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Red Wines

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois Medoc 2003

Port

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin, rum, vodka, martini rosso, martini extra dry, campari, sweet and dry sherry, bloody mary, screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas regal 12 years old, johnnie walker gold label, jack daniel's, canadian club

Cognac

Liqueurs

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Hong Kong business class menu

DINNER

Starters

Smoked salmon with romaine and mushroom served with Caesar dressing

Main Courses

Fried garoupa with eggplant and onion chu hou sauce, steamed rice and pak choy with carrots

Fried chicken with turmeric and bacon sauce, sauteed potatoes and fried mixed peppers

Dessert

Pistachio mousse cake with apricot sauce

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

DRINK LIST

Juices

Orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coffees

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate

WINE LIST

Champagne

White Wines

Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Red Wines

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois Medoc 2003

Port

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Whiskies

Cognac

Liqueurs

Beer

International selection

CX Signature Drinks

Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

The flight is full. I'm fairly tired and mindful that I have a red-eye coming up so I doze most of the flight. We arrive early but have a long taxi to gate 3.

I head straight for transfer desk to get my onward boarding passes. 3 spit out (plus the lounge invite card) and the agent rips up 2 of them. So I ask again politely for the onward boarding passes. He tries the same line the other Cathay agents have been using that return check in is not possible, but soon realises that I was awake enough to notice the computer did in fact spit it out automatically just a moment ago. He reprints one and gives it to me. I decide not to push the point to get the next onward boarding pass as well. At least I now don't have to deal with the vagaries of the timing of the next airport's transfer desk, which I know from experience can cause issues for an early morning departure.

My next flight leaves from a gate almost midway between The Wing and The Pier, so I decided to head to The Pier. On arrival I was told the lounge would be closing much earlier than I needed to leave for boarding time. Grrr. Why do some airlines close their lounges before the last flights, and open their lounges well after the first transfer pax arrive to use them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.