Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Wellington to Auckland (WLG-AKL) on Qantas 737-400 with business seats

After a short transit it was back onboard the same aircraft, and in fact the same seat. There had, however, been a change of cabin crew - the ones who flew with me down to Wellington taking the later return flight.

The flight was uneventful. It had clouded up a little since the trip down but still reasonable views.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Wellington (AKL-WLG) on Qantas 737-300

Another day, another early start. This time check in was later opening and a big queue was waiting when I arrived so I decided to check in effortlessly at the lounge instead. Went up to security and was told (paraphrased here) "there's no point going through for your flight already as it is a while away and there isn't anything beyond security ... other than the lounge". I was taken aback at this - the lounge for breakfast and watching the rugby was exactly where I was headed and surprised the screener didn't recognise me from the other 100+ times I have arrived at this time of day and entered the lounge, including yesterday. I thought security officers are supposed to be observant?!

I got checked in and was warned the weather in Wellington is bad enough that the airport is marginal - high winds and bad gusts. Sure enough the flight is delayed and so I get to see more of the first half of the rugby game than I expected ^ Eventually a sorry sounding boarding call is made "We're going to attempt to get to Wellington and please board at gate xx. Qantas apologises for the delay caused by the bad weather in Wellington." This doesn't go down too well with a nervous flyer in the lounge - do you have any airsickness medicine? Hope she isn't sitting by me!

... to be continued ...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 6, 2007 at 8:33 pm
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:51 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Last night was a tale of woes fro both our teams, Kiwi Flyer. I'd almost expect a Royal Commission to be set up by both countries. Trust you made it to WLG without incident.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For those unfamiliar with domestic flights in New Zealand, neither Qantas nor Air NZ (and soon nor Pacific Blue) sells business class on domestic flights, however a small number of aircraft are used on both domestic and international routes and thus have some (old style) business class seats. On Qantas there is no self seat select and their allocation puts these preferentially to status passengers.
It's been a couple of years and I had forgotten this, thanks for the reminder Kiwi Flyer. Will be handy for our WLG/AKL in Feb 08.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

QF WP - read on.

I do the time arithmetic and work out if the flight returns to origin I will have to rebook this flight and the next one to another day (no idea when - my schedule is already very full and already has several rebooked flights).

The flight is very full so we are all wedged in. As the paperwork is being finalised the FA announces the rugby will be on audio channel 3. This is met with cheers and I've never seen so many passengers ask for a headset on the short flight. The safety briefing and captain's announcement that the flight could get very bumpy fortuitously occur during half time.

We take off and the snack is served - again a pastry and tea, coffee or water. A mini revolt is threatened when the captain forgets to turn off the PA override thus stopping the rugby commentary from resuming. The FA quickly defuses the situation by racing back up the aisle to get it switched over.

Unlike the previous day there is no view except of the west coast and Mount Taranaki in particular. There are no bumps ... yet. We skim the cloud tops over Cook Strait - holding back on descending to try to stay out of the turbulence for as long as possible ^ Finally we have to go through the cloud and the disorienting, bucking ride begins.

Immediately we lose reception on the rugby with just 15 minutes left to play

The final approach is rather bumpy with the pilots wrestling the aircraft down to the airport in the 80mph winds with stronger gusts cross-wind. It is not even close to the worst I have had at Wellington, but still it is the first in a long time when even as we crossed the threshold I knew there was a possibility we'd abort and power up. Upon touching down the large American contingent starts clapping

When we get off the airbridge into the terminal I can tell straight away from the glum faces that we had lost the rugby - for the first time ever they would not make the semi-finals
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Auckland (WLG-AKL) with Qantas 737-300

Again a short turnaround. As is often the case with Qantas we lose some time in the turnaround. The flight back is totally full. The first few minutes are very bumpy and we climb much faster than normal to get above the turbulence. Once in calmer airs the flight is much the same as the trip down - minus the rugby on IFE of course. On arrival I head directly to the lounge to await my next flight.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Christchurch (AKL-CHC) on Qantas 737-300

During my wait I fell for the trap for unwary flyers, in that I assumed I would be getting a 737-300 with business seats for my next flight based on the rego of the aircraft at my gate. Unfortunately I forgot that my flight would use an aircraft which is yet to arrive at Auckland, thus the other one is in fact waiting to be used for an international flight but parked up at the domestic terminal in the meantime. It later moved to a remote stand. It generally isn't too hard to work out which aircraft you will be using and where it is coming from due to the small fleet size and high utilisation, plus the 737-300 without business seats tend to not be flown trans-tasman (given the need to compensate for downgrades and in the case of a switch from 737-400 also a loss of capacity). But with Qantas aircraft substitutions are fairly common so there are no guarantees.

It isn't unusual in a day of travelling like this for me to work out where nearly all the jetconnect (QF domestic in NZ plus some trans-tasman) fleet are based on observing several of their aircraft around the country and knowledge of their schedules.

I have time for some soup and a drink before boarding, which is late. Once again the flight is full. We have extensive cloud cover until over northern Canterbury. But the sun is shining brightly on the Southern Alps and foothills, the fresh dumping of spring snow to low levels looking brilliant.

As the strong winds cross the mountains and descend to the plains, we are buffeted on approach but not as badly as in Wellington. There are fine wave cloud formations over the plains. There is a runway change as we approach so we circle around to land from another direction.

I headed into the lounge to await my next flight.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 7, 2007 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch to Queenstown (CHC-ZQN) on Qantas 737-300

I have enough time for a couple of drinks and another bowl of yummy soup while catching up on some work on the computer. I'd noted the flight was delayed due to the late inbound, and was slowly getting ready to go when the lounge agent comes into the computer room and asks if I'm on this flight because they are paging me in the terminal. It seems the agent had not announced the flight over the PA but individually talked to lounge guests about boarding but I'd gotten missed somehow. So I scoop up my things and rush onboard where they are getting ready to close the doors. Last on again!

Another full flight, although this time I am lucky to get about the only spare seat alongside. As we take off over the plains I notice the spring growth is highlighting the bumps and hollows nicely in the subtle colour differences of the grass - from the ground the plains appear almost pancake flat, but from a low altitude it is clear they not at all flat with many patterns laid down by the old paths of the many braided rivers tearing the mountains down and depositing the debris along the way to the sea.

The skies are relatively clear, with extensive cloud bank on the main divide and to the western side of the Alps, and only high cloud on the eastern side. Great views of the mountains (except the highest peaks) and the southern lakes. There is a lot more snow than my previous flights to Queenstown, but none (left) in the valley floors. We fly at lower than normal altitude to try to make up some time.

As we descend through the valleys and basin towards Queenstown there is a neat optical effect on the many puddles of water and streams of snow melt, at the right angle there is a brief shimmering reflection amplified by the mica that is prevalent in this region. As we fly along the shimmering moves along to the next set of puddles and streams of snow melt.

I enjoy the descent, which follows a slightly different path than usual, going deeper into the Arrowtown basin, turning sharper over Lake Hayes and passing to the right instead of the left of a particular hillock on final approach - thus forcing a tighter right hand turn over the river moments before touchdown. Its a bit hard to describe but the approach into Queenstown is fantastic and a must for keen flyers. (The flight path out of Queenstown is also spectacular, but in my view not as good as the one in. Yes the approaches are strictly one way as there is barely enough room for a 737 or A320 in the airspace let alone 2 aircraft. Sometimes if aircraft are coming in too close to one another - as can happen with the Air NZ and Qantas flights being scheduled at basically the same times at certain parts of the day - the second one does lazy circles over Lake Dunstan about halfway between Wanaka and Queenstown.)

There is a short walk across the tarmac, and it isn't as cold as I was expecting given the low altitude of the snow line which explains the extensive snow melt run off.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Queenstown to Christchurch (ZQN-CHC) on Qantas 737-300

With the slightly late flight there is pressure to turnaround fast so I need to be quick picking up some stuff, then through security and time to board already. There is a moment when the gate doors become stuck for us last 3 passengers. I have just enough time to savour a last look at the snow covered mountains surrounding the airport - on one side shining brightly in the sun and on the other side already deep in shadow for the late afternoon sun. The next time I'll be at Queenstown will be for the do. Unfortunately for me the wait on the airstairs isn't long enough for me to watch the Air NZ 737 take off ahead of us.

Once more the flight is completely full. The flight is uneventful - I spend much of it looking out the window. Even after many dozens of flights in this part of the country I still never tire of the view. As with the flight down there is a muffin and water, but no hot beverage due to the short flight duration. All too soon we are back in Christchurch and I make my way to the lounge once more.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch to Auckland (CHC-AKL) on Qantas 737-300

Time again for another drink or two before boarding yet another full flight. By now the sun is setting and so the views are much less.

This time we get a choice between cheese & cracker or chicken mini-pie, plus tea coffee or water. I catch up on some much needed sleep.

On arrival I head to the Hilton to meet up with silver springer and mr silver springer before it gets too late.

And so the prologue ends and the more comfortable (I hope) part of the journey begins.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Checking loads on some upcoming flights I realise I booked more 3-class flights than I remembered. There is also a lot of mostly minor schedule changes - some connections becoming tighter and others easier, but nothing too ridiculous. One of my flights was unable to be returned by any of the availability tools I use(!), but checking the airline website it still appears on the timetable and is able to be booked.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:51 pm
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:26 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
"Welcome to the losers lounge", as they say on Celebrity Poker. Now we can only wait to see the Yarpies take home the Cup (again!)

I don't think we'll be flying WLG/AKL now, after talking to Mrs QF WP tonight. Seems a drive up is the (her) preferred option.

Keep up the TR's.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I've been standing at the back of your life
Auckland to Melbourne (AKL-MEL) on Qantas 737-400 business class

After far too little sleep and the usual rush of last minute things to see to before a trip I am at last on my way back to the airport. As I arrived a bit earlier than I expected I walk across to the international terminal from domestic. May as well get in the habit of walking whenever I get a chance for I have a lot of sitting around over the next month.

I recently worked out that I'd be in the air longer than on the ground in the next month, and that the longest time I'd be grounded is not much more than 24 hours!

As I walk into the international terminal, seeing many different airlines represented in the visible tailfins (mid afternoon is a great time to check them out), I realise that the 2 times I flew internationally from Auckland in the past couple of weeks I was in first class both times. Not for me this time as all Qantas flights to/from New Zealand are 2-class. For the record the airlines still flying with first class from New Zealand are Emirates, LAN, Singapore and Thai. That's all, or does Malaysian still have first? Over the past decade, one by one airlines have dropped their first class from New Zealand.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:21 pm

No, MH dropped their First Class when they switched to two-class 772s (as you say, story of AKL's life!) Pretty sure TN still offer F on their A340s though.

Enjoying your report, but then, I always do enjoy your reports.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thanks B-HXB.

When I visit the Qantas premium check in area it is empty. The check in agent is dumbfounded by my itinerary showing on the screen - to the other agents "come and look at this", and to me "you should be Chairman's Lounge". Yeah I wish. Chairman's Lounge is Qantas' invite only status handed out for political business or social influence.

I get 3 boarding passes and deal with immigration pre-clearance in the lobby and head upstairs. Only a couple of immigration desks are open with a moderate queue in front of the one closest to me. As far as I can tell there is a family group of about 12 being processed in a chaotic manner - whose passport is this and which departure form goes with it, etc. After a couple of minutes another immigration officer sidles up, scans the departure tax sticker and with a quick check that my passport matches boarding pass opens the chain for me to slip through before closing the chain again. Security is quick as no queue. I thought I might get pulled over for the "random" wanding/explosives check but manage to avoid the gaze of said security officers and hurry off to the lounge.

The lounge agents are busy dealing with someone who appears to have an issue of some sort, but upon seeing me one breaks off scans my boarding pass and welcomes me back. To be honest I felt a bit uncomfortable when they started chit chatting while this other passenger was being held up on my behalf so I made my excuses and went into the inner sanctum that is the first class lounge. Yes despite not flying first class themselves to/from New Zealand for a few years now, Qantas continues to have a first class lounge to cater for One World Emerald passengers plus the LAN first class passengers. Why can't Air New Zealand do the same I often wonder - Singapore and Thai still both have first class to/from New Zealand, and it would be a nice touch to offer a less crowded lounge to Air NZ's top elites.

I quite like this lounge, and especially like the ability to access it whenever flying internationally (regardless of airline or class of travel), thanks to my status. Indeed while waiting for a recent flight in Thai first class I visited the Air NZ lounge for all of 2 minutes, saw how ridiculously overcrowded it was (no seats free anywhere!) and left for the Qantas first class lounge. But, it seems this benefit will not last - Qantas has just this week announced from next April that to access the first class lounge we need to be flying on One World

As I unwind in the lounge I do some prep for an upcoming meeting, grab a late lunch and find my mind wandering. It is starting to dawn on me at this late stage just how much travel I have in front of me. So much that even after a few days crossing most time zones I will still have an enormous amount to fly in the following weeks. Hmmm - have I bitten off more than I can chew? I'd already dropped a couple of flights in the past few days due to "cold feet". Will I end up dropping more? If so, will I actually make my target of lifetime status? My travel plans allow for some disruption resulting in loss of status earning, thus I am targetting a margin above the minimum I need. But will it be enough?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Boarding is called. For the first time that I can recall my habit of boarding late on Qantas (or Air NZ for that matter) and still having plenty of room for my carry on fails - my bag ends up several rows behind me I don't think it is due to excessive amounts of carry ons, but rather the combined effect of full flight, some Qantas stuff in the overhead bins (eg magazines which were conspicuously not offered to passengers) and the old trick by regular flyers of putting the carry on slightly ahead of your seat to make it easier to get out on deplaning.

As we boarded we were handed Australia arrival cards. A good idea I thought as it saves the FA doing a run through the cabin mid flight. I'm in the same seat on the same aircraft I flew recently - but with the small fleet that isn't surprising. The flight is full.

We are offered pre departure drink - water, orange juice or "champagne" (really sparkling wine). There is a delay apparently caused by a passenger losing their passport between immigration and the gate thus a search is made and then checked bags are offloaded. I fire off a message that I'm running slightly later than planned for my meeting but should be close to on time.

On the way to the runway I see the international terminal is, as usual these days, rather busy with all gates in use as well as several remote stands. Indeed as we roll back past the terminal on taking off I notice our gate is already filled by an Air New Zealand 747.

We have nice views for a few minutes until disappearing above the clouds over the Tasman Sea. Once we are out of the initial turbulence service starts. First a drink together with either nuts (cold) or olives (see why can't QF serve my nuts in a warm bowl?). Then personal DVDs are handed out. The menu is missing so I have to go through the folder checking each DVD. Also missing is the duty free catalogue, but then they cannot do duty free today for the payment machine is missing or broken.

As has been the case lately, the curtain is not up. This means a constant stream of economy passengers traipsing past to use the forward toilet and disrupts the service (thus taking much longer to do) According to QF FAs who post on FT [find link and put here] the curtain was taken down (by some crew against the rules) to save them having to hand out DVDs to the first row of economy passengers (who cannot see an overhead screen when the curtain is up).

Meal is light dinner - menu to follow.

I doze a bit without getting much sleep. There are limited views on arrival to Melbourne with a reasonable amount of cloud. With my bag so many rows behind me I am quick to get up (once the seatbelt sign is extinguished) to retrieve it before the aisle gets too crowded. There is a short delay since the airbridge is unmanned Then off, down the corridor, up to transit, rescreened at an empty screening point (again avoiding eye contact of the officers doing explosives checks), through 2 duty free shops (as with most Australia international terminals it is difficult to avoid walking through duty free due to the way it is set up) and up to the Qantas first class lounge.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 9, 2007 at 6:18 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.