Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Arrow Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

It's official, the NEW Westin Minneapolis at 88 S. 6th St. in downtown Minneapolis (former F&M Bank) is now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 28, 2007. Seems like the cheapest rate will be $199/night on weekends and $299/night on weekdays, which is a bit high for Minneapolis. It's a category 4 hotel.

Per the spg.com website:

Transformed from Minneapolis’s historic Farmers & Mechanics Bank building, The Westin Minneapolis will be your home to renewal in the Twin Cities. Originally built in 1941, the landmark features the original 34-foot vaulted bank lobby, marble staircase, and wood carved emblems signifying the leading industries of the World War II era. We invite you to enjoy a historic journey and uniquely inspired hospitality experience.

At the pulse of cosmopolitan Minneapolis, our hotel is conveniently connected to over seven miles of the skyway system – the city’s signature walkway to business, shopping, and entertainment venues. We are also a short walk from the Minneapolis Convention Center, Metrodome, Target Center, and nationally recognized theatres and museums.

Last edited by DCBob; Feb 26, 2007 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:59 pm

This should be an interesting hotel. Great location as it's almost directly on the Light Rail Line from MSP. My understanding was they had to leave the lobby as intact as possible. I've also heard that meeting and event space is already well booked so far.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I walked through this building last week when I was there on business (the skyway is very impressive). It is linked up to a very high end shopping center which is very nice. I was looking at booking this property during a stay for "The Police" tour in July '07, but could only get rates for about $274 / night. A little bit pricey.

I will stay at the Sheraton Bloomington South instead.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:11 am

Being from the Minneapolis area, this seems a bit pricey to me. But my husband travels to Mpls frequently on business and usually during the week pays around the $200 mark for stays in hotels that are long-overdue for an overhaul (the Marquette, the Marriott, etc.). The Graves charges way more than this and I think the new Chambers Hotel may be at this rate before long if it's not already there. I know those are more "boutiquey" hotels but I think Westin is playing on something that's been missing from this market - an UPSCALE chain hotel that wasn't in need of remodeling 10 years ago. While I'll probably never have a need to stay there (even if I didn't stay with my parents, there's a beautiful Sheraton not far away from them that's pretty inexpensive on the weekends), I think this is a welcome addition to the Minneapolis market and I don't think they'll have trouble getting guests to stay there.

It's just too bad it couldn't have opened up a couple of months sooner. I'm just salivating over the *points we'll miss out on by my husband having to stay for 6 weeks at the Marquette (a Hilton) ....
Old May 9, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM
Looks like the Westin Minneapolis finally opened up earlier this week... and just in time, as I am headed to Minneapolis this weekend. Made a reservation for Friday night. Price was around $150.

I will try to take pictures and give impressions. It's the least I can do for all of the helpful information I've read by lurking over the past few months!
Old May 22, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/dooglemc...tinMinneapolis

I haven't stayed at too many new Westins but this one was very nice. I was given a corner room an an "SPG Preferred Guest" floor. I'm guessing (hoping) my SPG Gold status afforded me the corner room. Lots of windows, LG LCD TV with actual HD content, and glass Heavenly Shower with no tub. There was a lot of space taken up by the hallway as it was a corner unit. Part of the space in the hallway was utilized by a desk. Service was excellent, but valet parking is awkward and takes a while to pick up your car. You basically have to drop off your car in a left-turn lane as the hotel is close to a traffic light. The hotel restaurant/bar looked very nice, but I didn't get to try it. It takes up the entire front lobby area of the hotel.
Old May 29, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I bit the bullet this past weekend because I had to see what this hotel was like. Made a reservation online a day in advance and ended up with a $159.00 rate for Sun / Mon (Memorial Day) reservation, which I thought was still high, but reasonable (the rates for this weekend were at $219+ all week for that date online prior to arrival).

Anyway, I parked the car outside the hotel at the 5 minute check in area (there is no hotel self park, only valet) and walked inside to check in. When you walk through the front door, you come upon the lobby bar / restaurant, which is very beautiful w/ modern decor, high ceilings, and wood laden walls 9not sure what type wood) from top to bottom. The check in area is not very large or very well marked, but upon walking into the lobby it is located in the back right corner of the lobby. As a mental note don't do what I did and disregard the check in area signs when you walk into the lobby from the street entrance or you will just be walking around aimlessly until you spot the check in area. Upon check in I was told that my reservation couldn't be found in the system and unless I could produce my confirmation number, I was not able to get a room unless I was willing to pay $300+ that night because they were almost sold out. When I told her that I had booked online and got a rate of $159, she said that there was no way that could happen being they were almost sold out.

I then had to go back to my car, get my laptop which still had the reservation screen on it (thank God!) and showed her my complete reservation I made online and still she had issues with it. She said that she was willing to accommodate me, no problem and that I would get a room, not to worry. My rate was for 2 DBL traditional room (traveling w/ family) and when I asked her if there were any upgrades, she said no way for a Gold, but she would give me a room w/ a better view.

She then gave me my keys and said that I would need the keys almost everywhere I went because the elevator (no matter what floor you are on) requires a key to go anywhere except the lobby. I ended up parking at a self parking garage just to the south of the hotel (attached via skywalk) and proceeded to my room.

The room that I was given was on the 4th floor and close to the end of the hall. Upon entering this room, which was the size of a cracker jack box, basically a small area w/ a king bed and a small desk (on a non-spg floor) I told the family not to touch anything and I would get a different room. BTW, the better view was a view of a building and I had a better view of the top of the lobby roof. I went back down and asked for a room w/ 2 DBL beds and she was happy to accommodate. I then checked into a standard room on the 6th floor which was a much bigger room (still small by comparison to other Westins) which was decorated in he standard Westin motif (LG plasma TV's!!). The bathrooms are very small but also very well decorated. Free bottle of water also complementary to SPG guests.

After a few minutes, I took the kids down to the 3rd floor where the pool / workout area is while Mrs. NWAsilvElite unwound a little after her EXTREMELY draining day of exercising our US Bank Visa Check Card at the Mall of America and IKEA (tough work - someone has to do it...). Just off the elevator, there is a water feature which is basically glass w/ water flowing from ceiling to floor. Just to the left, there is a good size, very well equipt Reebok workout room w/ a treadmill, various medicine balls, dumbells, weight machine, etc. There is also free Gatorade Propel in a small fridge by the water cooler. There is a bathroom in the workout room so you don't have to hit the lockers when nature calls.

As far as the pool goes (located on the other side of the hallway from the workout room), you need to go through the mens or womens locker rooms before you get into the pool area (yes, you need the key to get in). The pool is an adequate size stainless steel pool which is 3ft at the shallow and 5ft at the deepest part. The pool is just big enough to do laps. There is a small hot stainless steel hot tub just after the pool which holds 5 persons. The pool area is very nice for the size of the hotel. There are 3 nice lounge chairs for seating and that is about it. There is a music volume control on the wall for the Bose speakers in this pool area (about 6-8 speakers!!!) which can really crank (just ask my 3 yr old son).

As far as the business center goes, it is just after the lobby check in on the way to the elevators. There is an open area that you pass through and some work areas along one wall. There are 2-3 computers there to use. I am not positive if this is the actual business center or just a work area. If there are other services, I am not sure but there are all kinds of malls / shopping areas in the local vicinity

I also asked if there was an executive lounge and she told me no. What they have is social time called "unwind" which basically consists of wine and other drinks possibly some h'orderves. That is from 5-7 and from the hotel information book, appears to be open to everyone???

I did not get a chance to check out the restaurant or the bar, but the menu looked very good.

My overall opinion of this hotel is that it is a very high end hotel and commands the price. As far as personal travel w/ family, yes it is a nice hotel and has some Kids Club amenities, but I would stay at another location (Sheraton Bloomington or a Hilton property) before I would pay the high $$$ to go to the Westin.

However, if this was the same caliber as The Diplomat Resort & Spa (my favorite Westin) w/ the same amenities and friendly staff like our DiplomaticAmy, I would jump at it in a heartbeat!!!! Now that is a Westin!!!

Last edited by NWAsilvELITE; May 29, 2007 at 12:02 pm
Old May 29, 2007, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
(Sheraton Bloomington or a Hilton property)
don't forget about the sheraton "midtown." not a great location and the bloomington is closer to the airport, but this is a serviceable hotel.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
don't forget about the sheraton "midtown." not a great location and the bloomington is closer to the airport, but this is a serviceable hotel.
Thank you, forgot about this hotel. Rates are better than Westin and it sounds as if many FTer's have good things to say about this hotel. My wife drove by this location a few months ago while I was on business in MSP and said "he$# no" to the location when I had my family with, but it doesn't sound so bad. I will check this one out next time I am in MSP.
Old May 29, 2007, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
My wife drove by this location a few months ago while I was on business in MSP and said "he$# no" to the location when I had my family with, but it doesn't sound so bad. I will check this one out next time I am in MSP.
again, it's not in the best location but i don't think it's dangerous. and, the hotel is pretty good. the rooms have nice plasma TVs, a zillion stations, and the property has a very nice gym and pool.

the front desk staff is nice, albeit pretty incompetent. but, what else is new? parking is always an adventure (specifically, getting out of the lot).

but, all in all, i've stayed there several times and will continue to stay there (esp. if the westin is triple the price).
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Just returned from a 2 night stay.

Upgraded to "executive suite" as a Plat. It is not a REAL suite but was a very good room, with a sitting area complete with sofa and 2 chairs. Bathroom was very small and extremely awkward in terms of the layout. The room was very dark and quiet which was great. Linens seemed of poorer quality/lower thread count than usual for Westin...definitely more burlap sack than Heavenly Bed.

The lobby, bar, and restaurant are high end for Minneapolis and indeed one of the nicest I have seen in a Westin.

Staff tried hard and was friendly but service was a real disaster. The usual book of hotel info including the room service menu was absent from my room and I called down to ask for the menu as well as the minibar key. The key took about 30 minutes and the menu arrived separately in 45 minutes.

I ordered a room service in the morning and it took about an hour to arrive. I called down to inquire after about 30 minutes, and I was told that the order taker had forgotten to ask me what I wanted on my omlette, when in fact he had asked me and I had told him. I didn´t have time to eat the breakfast since it arrived so late, but they did comp it and were apologetic.

When I returned to the room in the evening there were 6 voice mails from the service express, communicating various things about the room service disaster in the morning. In fact, the phone was not ringing when they were trying to contact me in the morning. The clock radio in the room did not work and the time often reset itself causing great confusion. It was of a brand/style that I have never seen in SPG properties and hopefully is an aberration as it was a real annoyance.

Housekeeping did not replace used coffee/tea and toiletries. Turndown was requested but not provided. HOWEVER, they did deliver the WSJ per my SPG preferences unprompted.

Minibar was not serviced even though I was out of the room from 8am to 6pm on the second day.

At least 3 or 4 bellmen or doormen seemed to be standing around outside at all times but never were able to answer basic questions about the surrounding area. They were very eager to summon town cars for rides to the airport, as is usual at other hotels in MSP. I wonder what the deal is that they have with the drivers?!?

There is no executive lounge, but there is internet access in the lobby.

Overall, the physical plant is nice and I will probably stay there again. The Marquette (Hilton) is dumpy in terms of the furnishings but has far, far better service and a great executive lounge, so if the Westin disappoints again in terms of service I will be back there.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:00 pm

Westin Minneapolis

I managed to get a special package for $229 a night (by calling the Starwood line) which included a bottle of fizzy wine and strawberries and breakfast. My colleague tried to book, but the rate she got was $400 or so a night, yet by walking in, she got a rate of $129 a night!

The room wasn't particularly spacious, but had a flat-screen TV and the shower had sprays on both sides (which was a first for me). The lobby which doubled as a bar and restaurant, was spectacular. The staff were very friendly although a little clueless. Ate at the restaurant, which seemed to be a hot spot for locals, several times and was impressed.

On the first night, I ordered room service, and couldn't believe it when it arrived within 10 minutes. Especially since the restaurant was packed.

Although I'm gold, I couldn't get late check out. I didn't seem to be on a SPG floor, but did have a corner room so didn't complain.

If the rates stay under the $220 mark (my limit for business travel), I would definitely stay there again.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by manhattankate
My colleague tried to book, but the rate she got was $400 or so a night, yet by walking in, she got a rate of $129 a night!
interesting.

i've tried to book a few weekends this summer to visit some friends and the rates at this property have been astronomical...for minneapolis and for the weekend.

moreover, i can never seem to get any of the hotel's promotions to work. and, brandwide rate promotions don't work for this hotel either for my dates (despite T&C saying that it was a possibility).

i just thought that it was great that they were able to secure these high rates. it's weird that they would have such high rates on the website and then offer walk-ins a $129 rate. that's bad yield/rate management, in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
interesting.

i've tried to book a few weekends this summer to visit some friends and the rates at this property have been astronomical...for minneapolis and for the weekend.

moreover, i can never seem to get any of the hotel's promotions to work. and, brandwide rate promotions don't work for this hotel either for my dates (despite T&C saying that it was a possibility).

i just thought that it was great that they were able to secure these high rates. it's weird that they would have such high rates on the website and then offer walk-ins a $129 rate. that's bad yield/rate management, in my opinion.
I have had no trouble booking the $129 rate for the night of July 4th. Check again and sort rates by price. The lower rate is often near the bottom of a very long list of high rates.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
A slide show from local TV:
http://wcco.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_123101243

The locked doors everywhere are likely because it's skywalk connected -- most of the skywalk is open 24 hours; since buildings can't lock the lobby doors, they lock the interior doors instead.

As for parking, it's a historic building built without parking. You're much better off parking at one of the many skywalk connected parking ramps (as the locals call structures).

Midtown Minneapolis is definitely urban, but it's still Minnesota and not "unsafe" by any reasonable standard. Plenty of families were in the brand-new public market next door both times I stayed at that Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.