Please put your bra in the bin

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Please put your bra in the bin

Never noticed this before:
===
[From http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...-items.shtm#0]

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers there are no limits on the amounts of the following liquids, gels and aerosols you may carry through a security checkpoint:
* Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling;
* Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
You are not limited in the amount or volume of these above items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. However, if these items are in containers larger than three ounces, please perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

===
As I understand it, gel bras hold ~7floz.

Could some good citizen (maybe HawleyDrunkenPatriot's wife) PLEASE comply with the written rules? Please please please?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Candyass Hawley does not travel commercially; why would his wife?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:27 am

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
I had been trying to avoid looking at the TSA web site recently as a stress reduction technique (theoretically then I don't know for sure when a TSO is blatantly wrong). But you made me look.

Actually could be quite funny... when somebody decides to enforce the rule exactly as written. Hopefully no FlyerTalk folks get arrested in the process .

Remember not to overthink these guidelines .
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:58 am

Try getting into the Kennedy space center in Florida with an underwire.... These guys are worse than any airport I have come through.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: Metro/Subway transit card ;-)
SNL skit - TSA training video discussing the 3oz rule, 2nd half of clip gets funnier...

http://www.evilchili.com/mediaview/6...ng_Video__SNL/

(clip might not be here long - read that NBC is actively clensing the web of SNL clips)
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by moeve
Try getting into the Kennedy space center in Florida with an underwire.... These guys are worse than any airport I have come through.
Right after September 11th I could not get through a metal detector at DCA without my underwire setting it off. Now I can get through with my bra, a watch and some jewelry on.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers there are no limits on the amounts of the following liquids, gels and aerosols you may carry through a security checkpoint:
* Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling;

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these above items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. However, if these items are in containers larger than three ounces, please perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

I read this to mean that lactating breasts larger than 3 ounces (which surely qualify as carry on baggage) must be declared and presented for additional inspection and screening.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I read this to mean that lactating breasts larger than 3 ounces (which surely qualify as carry on baggage) must be declared and presented for additional inspection and screening.
I guess we know where your mind is!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by moeve
Which, of course, brings to mind whether I'd rather be felt up by an astronaut or some random, garden-variety civilian. Lemme think about that for a minute ...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by essxjay
Which, of course, brings to mind whether I'd rather be felt up by an astronaut or some random, garden-variety civilian. Lemme think about that for a minute ...
Someone like Astronaut Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment...?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by frink
Never noticed this before:
===
[From http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...-items.shtm#0]
* Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
That is amazing. Shocking, actually, to actually consider humiliating a cancer survivor by making her REMOVE HER PROSTHETIC BREAST?! Geoboy's grandmother has one- would they seriously expect an 80 year old woman to reach in and pull out her prosthesis? It's unfathomable and I honestly can't understand why NOW isn't protesting this. Has the world gone mad?!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I gave up wearing bras for flying!

I just got tired of all the bother. Packed my bras and other underwear in my checked bags.....they disappeared before I got my bag back.

Twice!

Airport underwear thieves!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I just got tired of all the bother. Packed my bras and other underwear in my checked bags.....they disappeared before I got my bag back.

Twice!

The underpants gnomes have taken over TSA?!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA, BA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by oldpenny16

Twice!

Easy solution: Get a bunch of dirty underwear and pile it on top of the rest of your clothing. Works wonders
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:57 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Someone like Astronaut Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment...?
(That just killed my buzz ... )

Uh, I actually had someone less fictionary and revolting in mind ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.