Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International Roaming SIM Cards? What is the best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am planning a trip to UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand then back to the US. What is the best International Roaming SIM Card?

Thank You!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by captainflyer
Hi,

I am planning a trip to UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand then back to the US. What is the best International Roaming SIM Card?

Thank You!
Look carefully at New Zealand. For some reason, that is a country which has less roaming agreements than it should.

For example, United Mobile (Riiing) doesn't work down there. I like globalsimcard.co.uk's sim because it has a good feature set and a number of "free incoming calls." 09.is probably has the best number of list countries, but I've seen some complaints about them on prepaidgsm.net. 09 also does not have voicemail.

Hint: you can get a free US phone number from voicestick.com that will forward to either of these numbers for about US$0.18 a minute.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:50 am

T-Mobile has a pretty good add-on for international roaming. I dont think they charge extra (at least not expensive), but you do have to request it. A lot of Europe is 99 cents (US) per minute. The thing I like about it is (assuming I understand it correctly and Im pretty sure I do) is that the rate you get while in a country doesnt change no matter where you call. So if you are in Germany, it cost 99 cpm to call US and 99 cpm to call Argentina.

More expensive than a local SIM but a lot more convenient.

http://www.t-mobile.com/Internationa..._RoamWorldwide
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:53 pm
ob1

Programs: United GS
Buying local cards that have free incoming and then signing up for a jajah.com account could work out cheapest if you are able deal with the process
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:54 pm
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by muddy
T-Mobile has a pretty good add-on for international roaming. I dont think they charge extra (at least not expensive), but you do have to request it. A lot of Europe is 99 cents (US) per minute. The thing I like about it is (assuming I understand it correctly and Im pretty sure I do) is that the rate you get while in a country doesnt change no matter where you call. So if you are in Germany, it cost 99 cpm to call US and 99 cpm to call Argentina.
I might be wrong but I think yes PLUS the local roaming charge as well?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:08 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I was looking into the same thing, but all of these for USA or Mexico or Poland have a surcharge. If any card has free calling to those 3 countries, ill get it.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I was looking into the same thing, but all of these for USA or Mexico or Poland have a surcharge. If any card has free calling to those 3 countries, ill get it.
09 has free incoming in Poland and Mexico. You are not going to get free incoming in the US. The US gouges for providers for roaming privileges. The best you can do there is something like globalsimcard.co.uk which offers free call forwarding to the US and free incoming in many countries.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:28 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
09 has free incoming in Poland and Mexico. You are not going to get free incoming in the US. The US gouges for providers for roaming privileges. The best you can do there is something like globalsimcard.co.uk which offers free call forwarding to the US and free incoming in many countries.
I read about 09. Only problem its icelandic #. Ill have to get a USA transfer # to point to it.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
I read about 09. Only problem its icelandic #. Ill have to get a USA transfer # to point to it.
Callbackworld has a US toll free number which is US$0.15 a minute. They charge a US$1.00 fee for the number.

Voicestick is a US geographbical number that they will give you in the area code of your choice and it is like US$0.18 a minute.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ob1
I might be wrong but I think yes PLUS the local roaming charge as well?
No additional roaming fees are charged, its just the flat rate charge (99 cents for most of west Europe). This is what I like about the plan ... no surprises when I get my bill.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:06 am

No additional roaming fees are charged, its just the flat rate charge (99 cents for most of west Europe). This is what I like about the plan ... no surprises when I get my bill.
I am sorry Muddy, but I really disagree with you on this point. In fact, I had to engage in a battle of certified letters NOT to get put on the T-Mobile "World Class Roaming Plan." To remain on the old "variable rates," I have to stick with a 2001 plan which means I am giving up 200 or so minutes a month, and giving up free nights. T-Mobile has tried to make it inconvenient for folks with the old plan by taking the variable rates off their website, but it is still way better. For example, in Israel, I paid $0.06 a minute to place a local calls. On "World Class," roaming it would be $2.99 a minute.

T-Mobile's World Class rates are fairly comparable with the rates that T-Mobile charges in Europe. The European Union recently found these rates are excessive and has been pressuring the European arm of T-Mobile to reduce roaming rates way below these rates.

Notwithstanding this, I still use a roaming SIM and a callback service. It is vastly cheaper than the old variable rates, let alone the new World Class Rates. I receive calls in over 80 countries at $US0.14 a minute and using a call back service at the same rate.

The day T-Mobile makes me give up variable rates is the day that I quit T-Mobile.

Stu

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Nov 17, 2006 at 9:14 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Grandfathered plans don't really help the OP though, do they?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am sorry Muddy, but I really disagree with you on this point. ....

Notwithstanding this, I still use a roaming SIM and a callback service. It is vastly cheaper than the old variable rates, let alone the new World Class Rates. I receive calls in over 80 countries at $US0.14 a minute and using a call back service at the same rate.

Details on the callback thing and roaming sim would be great ... whats your set up?

Not being argumentative, but what were you disagreeing with? I go to Germany and talk 10 minutes and am charged $9.99 .... are you saying I am misunderstanding my bill?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Details on the callback thing and roaming sim would be great ... whats your set up?

Not being argumentative, but what were you disagreeing with? I go to Germany and talk 10 minutes and am charged $9.99 .... are you saying I am misunderstanding my bill?
You are paying way more than I would.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You are paying way more than I would.
It's more than Id like to pay too!

I only use it when I dont have a way to Skype. I used to do the local sim card juggle, but it was usually around 50 euro cents per minute on top of the ~$30 sim card and then I had to worry about the acct expiring, remembering the phone numbers, changing the sim, etc.

My situation is a bit odd, I guess. I might be in any of a number of countries every other month for 3 months and then not back for a year.

What are some cheaper alternatives without multiple sim cards?
Note: my calls a variable country x to country y .... neither x nor y are fixed ... so I think a callback service wouldnt work for me.

Last edited by muddy; Nov 17, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.