Search

lounge in Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Question what's onboard?

Originally Posted by mikalee
The last time I am aware that this was a 747 route was during SARS when the twice daily 767 services between CNS-NRT was downgraded to one 747 service.

International config Dreamitime J 767 is not a bad way to get between SYD-CNS after a Trans Pac.
Is there somewhere on the QF website that shows the kind of seats that would be on this flight? And the services available in business? Is it the same as for international bus class? On the drawings of thee planes, which one is it?
When I call QF in the US for seat assignments, I got them for SFO-SYD, but they will not give me seats for SYD-CNS. It will be at the gate which might separate my husband and me. Seems odd not to assign all the seats.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by susiesan
Is there somewhere on the QF website that shows the kind of seats that would be on this flight? And the services available in business? Is it the same as for international bus class? On the drawings of thee planes, which one is it?
When I call QF in the US for seat assignments, I got them for SFO-SYD, but they will not give me seats for SYD-CNS. It will be at the gate which might separate my husband and me. Seems odd not to assign all the seats.

The seats on SYD-CNS are the Dreamtime seats as described on the International Business class. Details of travel classes can be found at http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...lClasses/index

It is normal for seats not to be pre-assigned on domestic flights; on the international flights operating a domestic sector, then seating is available in advance for those with OW status, otherwise you have to wait till check in. The agent at SFO when you check in should be able to check you all the way to CNS so should get assignments then

Do be aware that they may well only intend to tag bags to Sydney; do check the tags and if they are not for CNS, ask them to tag to CNS pointing out that you will not be clearing Customs/Immigration at Sydney since you are on QF167 to CNS. I have had agents not notice that it is an 'international" connection and only issue tags to SYD before when doing a similar connection

Dave
Old Mar 16, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Hello susiesan,

Here's a cabin photo of a Qantas 763. As you can see the seating is arranged 2x2x1. It features Dreamtime Business Seats.

If you do a search on Airliners.net/Jetphotos and restrict the search to Qantas>Boeing 767>Cabin/Interior you'll find some more photos. Although if you do happen to look for photos, note that on a domestic 767 the seating is arranged 2x2x2 and usually has a rego of VH-ZXA-G [this is not what you will be flying on.. so disregard these photos]

Hope that helps
Old Mar 16, 2006, 4:55 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Business Class seats on the 767-300 aircraft (international config) are the older style Dreamtime seats that look like this:

Single seats on left side of cabin
Double seat pair on right side of cabin
Double seat pair in middle section of cabin

The QF web site only seems to mention the newer Skybeds that are on the 747-400 and A330-300 aircraft. The other business class services will be the same (meals, beverages, etc). Note the IFE is the non AVOD but with personal screens (small) and cycled programs.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up wow, that's a lot of information!

Thanks for all the inside info, including a photo, of these jets. As long as the seats go fairly flat, I'll be happy. I suspect all we'll do SYD-CNS is sleep. Good to know we'll be comfy. Even though it's a ways off, I'm looking forward to experiencing Qantas business class. Prior to this flight I'll have experienced Virgin Upper Class for the first time enroute to Europe from the US so it will be interesting to compare the two, as well as with the US carriers. Generally, business in foreign flagged carriers is far better than on US carriers.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:50 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Thanks for all the inside info, including a photo, of these jets. As long as the seats go fairly flat, I'll be happy. I suspect all we'll do SYD-CNS is sleep. Good to know we'll be comfy. Even though it's a ways off, I'm looking forward to experiencing Qantas business class. Prior to this flight I'll have experienced Virgin Upper Class for the first time enroute to Europe from the US so it will be interesting to compare the two, as well as with the US carriers. Generally, business in foreign flagged carriers is far better than on US carriers.
The Dreamtime seats do not go "fairly flat". The are on a 50" pitch, which is the limiting factor for recline. They do not recline as far as AA's business class seats on either 767 or 777 aircraft. They care very comfortable for daytime flights, and ok for sleeping if you can sleep on your back. But I always found them difficult to sleep on since I can only sleep well on my side and that is not possible on these seats.

However, I have endured many trans-Pacific 14+ hour flights in those seats, and they are way better than being down the back in 31" pitch slim-line economy seats.

The IFE screens are also quite disappointing. They are small and quite old LCD technology. But again, they are better than what the folks down the back will get - to view on the projected main-screen.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I would imagine the SYD/CNS leg will not be too critical to sleeping. Being just 3-hours, a nice breakfast (yup your 2nd for the day) and don't forget to look out the windows to see the reef from above - a truly beautiful sight, and you'll be on the ground in Cairns before you realize.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

charge for Cairns airport showers?

According to the website for the Cairns Int'l Airport there are showers that can be used after arriving. Is there a charge for this? Are there towels to use, free or included in the shower charge? Because the schedule changed and we only now have an hour in Sydney to change planes I don't think we'll have time to shower in the business class QF lounge so we need to try to do it upon arrival in Cairns.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
According to the website for the Cairns Int'l Airport there are showers that can be used after arriving. Is there a charge for this? Are there towels to use, free or included in the shower charge? Because the schedule changed and we only now have an hour in Sydney to change planes I don't think we'll have time to shower in the business class QF lounge so we need to try to do it upon arrival in Cairns.
On transit thru BKK/SIN I have showered in under 20 min and been ready to roll. 1 hour is tight (very tight) but if you are determined to shower you will make it I hope .
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Question shower in departure lounge in Cairns?

When we arrive at the Cairns airport do we walk through the terminal? Could we go into the departure lounge to shower if they have the facilities? Or are we in a special area outside of the main terminal?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
When we arrive at the Cairns airport do we walk through the terminal? Could we go into the departure lounge to shower if they have the facilities? Or are we in a special area outside of the main terminal?
You will be arriving at the international building and there will be no lounge available to you there.

It is a 5 minute walk to the domestic terminal where there is a Lounge but as you won't have entry rights, you may not get access.

Here is a link to a map showing the international arrivals floor; showers are indicated on the first floor in the toilets to the right of where you exit customs. You will probably need to provide your own towels and toiletries should you wish to use these.

In my opinion, you will be better served having a shower at the QF Business Lounge in when transferring in Sydney.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
... When you arrive at SYD, just to to international transfers, through an xray machine then go up 2 levels to the Mezzanine to get to the Qantas Club; ...
This is very easy to do from the transfer area; after being xrayed you will see an elevator to the right. Use this to go up two levels and you will find yourself at that mezzanine level. Walk straight ahead some 20-40 yards and you will see the Business class lounge entrance to the right.

When entering ask where to find the showers and proceed as directed. Towels and toileteries will be freely available from the shower attendant.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 1, 2006 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Shower in SYD! Everyone has given you good advice here and the facilities are good.

I doubt you'll be sleeping SYD-CNS either - coming off the SkyBed o'night flight from SFO, you should arrive pretty well refreshed and will want to stay awake for this flight to get into the time zone.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up it worked!!!

Originally Posted by seanp7
Shower in SYD! Everyone has given you good advice here and the facilities are good.

I doubt you'll be sleeping SYD-CNS either - coming off the SkyBed o'night flight from SFO, you should arrive pretty well refreshed and will want to stay awake for this flight to get into the time zone.
Just to let you all know we landed on time in Sydney, hustled up to the lounge, showered, dried hair, and out the door to the SYD-CNS in 30 minutes. It can be done, even for a woman. Went perfect, except my dopey hubby grabbed an apple in the lounge and stuck it in his bag. he forgot about it and when we landed in Cairns the cute little beage nailed him. They let him off with a wraning about smuggling fruit, saying how do they know it's an Aussie apple? I was laughing.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good to hear it all went well

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.