Reload this Page >

Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again

Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again

Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) Raffles (Business) Class on SQ 747, again

Just a few days later and I'm heading off to the airport again. At least I'm back on longhaul, so this will be much more comfortable than the recent few trips around New Zealand.

Rejuvenated's recent report My Longest Flying Hours: SQ First Class AKL-SIN-LHR (Text & Photos) reminded me that what I think of as normal - flying for a 24 hours or more (sometimes much more if I am trying to maximise mileage or minimise price) - is not normal for most people who don't live or regularly visit the far side of the world. For most people a 5 hour flight is long, but not for me.

Since my previous post, Singapore Airlines have unveiled their new product on the new 777-300ER (see SQ forum discussion). Already I am thinking up ways to reroute my travels in order to experience the improved product. Am I addicted? Maybe so, maybe so.

But I digress. The end of the (non-calendar) month is approaching and I will revert to the comforts of the trip at the beginning of the month - long haul on SQ. As I head to the airport already I feel a calmer state of mind taking over.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:55 am

As I read your last post I started laughing as I myself am doing LAX-SYD-HKG-LHR-JFK-LAX in 96 hours and when I am not flying I am planning the next jaunt... I am presently in the REGAL AIRPORT HOTEL in HKG awaiting my AM departure on CX 257 to LHR.... It is so good to know that I am in such good company....
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Before I forget I should mention how well the flights have credited. So far no problems.

SQ PPS sectors post instantly (usually before landing or not long after), miles to another FFP appeared within several days.

QF flights posted within 24 hours of each flight.

BA flights posted in batches, seemed to be roughly every 3 days.

AA flights posted in batches, seemed to be roughly every 3 days.

LA flights posted in a single batch, several days after my last flight (over a week after my first).

NZ flights posted to another FFP within 3 days.

Not bad.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) Raffles (Business) Class on SQ 747, again, continued

I arrive at the airport in good time and while the 2 Raffles and 1 First check in agent are all busy there is no queue. I see one of them is new so I decide to wait in front of my favourite agent. However the new one finishes up first and I am directed to her. Several moments of tapping (I don't remember it usually taking this long) later out spits a boarding pass. It is looking promising, for the agent spots straight away the PPS double dip isn't going to work. However she struggles to get my FFP number in, even after getting assistance from a colleague. Eventually I end up with a boarding pass for the first flight that is correct, a boarding pass for the second flight that is incorrect (I'll sort it out in Singapore) and I don't even bother asking for the boarding pass for subsequent flights.

At the elite immigration desk I also encounter a new immigration officer - kiwi flyer do you know how the pre-clearance works, have you used it before? Yes just a few (dozen) times, thank you. Upstairs there is no queue at immigration but the security check has bad queue at all 4 WTMDs open at the moment, so that the small area between security and immigration is jammed full of people. I'm not sure what the issue was.

After a brief stop to get something from one of the shops I enter the lounge and get the usual friendly welcome. I have enough time to catch up on email and FT before my flight is called.

By the time I reach the gate boarding has already started but I'm quickly settling in my seat - yup got my favourite (other than first of course) once again, upper deck exit row window.

We push back on time and take off into the murk. Due to the cloud cover there is no view of Auckland and the coast which we'd normally get on this flight.

I noticed the hot towel has changed slightly, more rectangular and slightly coarser than before. Maybe I fly too much to have noticed such a trivial thing? Nah, no such thing as flying too much I reckon.

Since it is a month since my last flight on Singapore Airlines there are many new movies and tv shows on the Kris World entertainment system. So I spend the flight lazily mixing reading some overdue papers and watching some more movies.

I don't recall doing so, but at some point I must have dozed off since I found I'd been missed in the meal orders for dinner (the 2nd meal) and nearly didn't get my choice of mains.

With a flight time of 10 hours 20 minutes, this is much longer than rejuvenated's recent flight. There is considerable variation I find depending on winds, position of jet stream, and of course traffic/routing into Singapore.

For a change we pull up, not at the F50-60 pier but instead at E12.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AKL-SIN Raffles Menu

LIGHT MEAL MENU

A Savoury Note

Seared tuna loin with mizuna and seaweed salad
Sesame soya dressing

The Main Event

Beef noodle soup
Egg noodles soup garnished with beef fillet and vegetables

Panfried blue eye cod fillet in white wine sauce, roasted vegetables and potatoes

Indonesian curry chicken, spicy vegetables and steamed rice

A Sweet Note

Ice cream

A Connoisseur's Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea

SNACK MENU

Fancy a snack?
Simply take your pick from our range of delectable snacks and make your selection known to our cabin crew.

Noodles

Fish ball broth with kway teow or bee hoon noodles

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Focaccia sandwich with smoked chicken

Snacks

Roasted mixed nuts

Kjeldsens cookies

Fruit bar

Arnotts pizza

Cadbury chocolate bar

Potato chips

Bananas

DINNER MENU

To Nibble On

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

A Savoury Note

Salad of feta cheese, tomato, olives with marinated prawns and mesclun
Balsamic coriander dressing
Honey mustard lime dressing

The Main Event

Pan roasted beef fillet with bourgnignonne sauce, sauteed mushrooms with bacon and potato mash

Braised hapuku fillet with Oriental XO sauce, seasonal vegetables and egg noodles

Seared chicken in herb jus, roasted vegetables in olive oil and polenta

Lamb curry Madras, spicy vegetables and pilaff rice

A Sweet Note

Passion fruit creme brulee

The Cheese Board

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Fruit

A selection of fresh fruit

A Connoisseur's Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea
and pralines

BEVERAGES MENU

Special cocktail

Golden Spice

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Silver Kris Sling
Gin Fizz
Cloud Nine
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Daiquiri
Red or White Wine Cooler

Aperitifs

Campari
Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic cocktails

Citrus Royale
Tropical Sparkle
Orange Cooler
Fruit Spritzer
Sunrise Surprise

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
Gordon's Dry Gin
Smirnoff Red Label Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca

Liqueurs

Cointreau
Tia Maria
Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Champagne

Piper Heidsieck 1999

White Wines

2004 St Clair Marlborough Sauvignon
Rheingau Riesling Kabinett 2004 Weinhas Ress

Red Wines

2003 Craggy Range Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Merlot
Churton Marlborough 2003 Pinot Noir
Chateau Cissac 1998 Cru Bourgeois Haut Medoc

Port

Dow 2001 Late Bottled Vintage Port

Tea selection

Pure Ceylon Tea
Earl Grey
Darjeeling
Camomile
Decaffeinated Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Oolong

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Colombian Supremo
Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Cafe Royal
Espresso
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated Coffee
Mocha

Other Beverages

Chocolate
Milo

Mineral Water

Carbonated mineral water
Non-carbonated mineral water

Fruit Juices

Apple
Orange
Pineapple
Tomato

Soft Drinks

A range of regular or low-calorie drinks is available

Iced Drinks

Iced Tea
Iced Coffee
Iced Mocha
Iced Chocolate
Iced Milo
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore to Osaka Kansai (SIN-KIX) Raffles (Business) Class on SQ 777

Even the short distance on the airbridge the current smog problem in the region was apparent. I headed to the lounge and got my boarding pass fixed plus checked in for another couple of flights. Then to a shower to freshen up before having a leisurely dom or three while surfing FT and awaiting my next flight.

I noticed the boiled lollies have gone both from the lounge check in facility and from the inner desk. That's a shame since my current nagging tickly throat sure could use some soothing.

When I first checked there was very little food on offer, pretty much everything used up. This despite the lounge appearing to be fairly empty. However later the food was replenished, and the lounge filled to become almost crowded for a period.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
[b]

I noticed the hot towel has changed slightly, more rectangular and slightly coarser than before...

I noticed the boiled lollies have gone both from the lounge check in facility and from the inner desk. That's a shame since my current nagging tickly throat sure could use some soothing.
You really are flying too much Otherwise though, these reports are quite entertaining - you should think about getting a newspaper to offer you a column (your powers of observation other than the above have proven that you have a good eye and the ability to write lucidly about your experience). Try drafting something for the FT, t'would make a change from Tyler Brule moaning about the carpets at LHR...
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore to Osaka Kansai (SIN-KIX) Raffles (Business) Class on SQ 777 continued

Gradually the lounge emptied, for this red eye flight is one of the last of the night for Singapore Airlines, until it was time for me to also leave. The onward flight had gate E28 - not the closest gate (it is closest to Terminal 1) but not too far away either.

By leaving the lounge fairly late I miss the queues at gate security and straight through. I am asked to swap my aisle seat for a window to allow a couple to sit together - I say sure. I may have thought about declining for a daytime flight, but for a redeye a window is fine be me. Boarding was already well underway so I head straight on to my new seat. I have some water and they take my order for breakfast.

The flight is full and we push back a few minutes late. With the number of late night departures from Singapore, sometimes a small delay at the gate can end up as a half hour (or more) hold on the apron. Fortunately that is not the case tonight. Nevertheless by time we are airborne I am already asleep.

About 2 hours 20 minutes before arrival we are woken for breakfast (cabin lighting put on and anyone other than those who requested to sleep through is tapped on the shoulder). Given only about half the passengers (at least in business) have asked for breakfast there is no need in my view to start so early, especially on these short red-eye flights. Id like to see breakfast start say 80 minutes prior to landing, giving a valuable extra hour sleep.

Breakfast is merely okay. They forgot my special coffee order and I had to ask for it again. By then it was cold By chance the timing coincided with sunrise which seemed so peaceful in these cloudless skies.

Later on we see the early morning light over Japan. The sun shining on the cliffs. Shadows marking out valleys while ridges bathed in soft light. A thick mist filled one valley system marking it out like a white sea complete with bush clad islands from a few hills in the middle poking through and complex "coastline" highlighting the rugged terrain.

The further north we go the more coastal towns and cities we fly past, and the fishing boats and container ships are visible below as we descend over the waterways into Kansai.

We have a straight in approach and short taxi. The gate is close to the main terminal, yet we have to walk away, up a level, take the train to the main terminal, then down a level, to arrive at immigration/transfers which was only a few metres away from the gate Id started at. Hey, maybe Auckland Airport is mimicking their layout (with the addition of more shops)?

Id arrived shortly after Air Calin, which has lots of passengers connecting through to Paris. I am not sure why but the transfer queue was hardly moving and I contemplated clearing immigration (which had no queues at all), going up a level and then back through immigration. Nah - it wont take long. Sure enough the queue starting moving much more efficiently again. Perhaps the screener had needed to go to the bathroom? Once through security it was the same process in reverse, take the train, down a level, then backtrack to the lounge. For some reason the Silver Kris Lounge is not on the main concourse between shops like all the other lounges, but instead down this back alley which is devoid of everything.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SIN-KIX Raffles Menu

MENU

To allow you a longer period of undisturbed rest, please let us know your preference for the following meal service options:

- To be served your meal soon after take-off
OR
- To be served your meal about 2 hours before arrival

To Start With

A choice of apple, tomato, freshly squeezed orange juice or soya bean milk

The Main Event

Chicken basil mayonnaise in croissant served with potato chips

Dim sum
Steamed rice sheet cake with char siew, pork siew mai and prawn har kow

American Breakfast
Fruit yoghurt
Spinach omelette with chicken sausage, roasted roma tomato, hash brown potatoes
Bread selection with preserves

Continental Breakfast
Assorted bread with preserves

Your meal will be served with a selection of sliced fresh fruits

A Connoisseur's Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea

HANAGOYOMI MENU

"Finding the change of the four seasons in a flower and translating it into cuisine."

An array of nine appetisers and entrees together with miso soup, served in Japanese style.

Sakizuke
Spinach with chyrsanthemum flower and matsutake mushroom salad, hijiki seaweed salad

Aemono
Jelly fish and mountain vegetables in sesame dressing, salmon roe

Yakimono
Grilled miso soya flavoured salmon trout, pickled turnip

Takiawase
[i]Scallop with beancurd skin dumpling, spinach sauce[i]

Kuchitori
Omelette, cod roes, prawn, kelp

Owan
Miso soup

Gohan
Mushroom flavoured steamed rice
Steamed rice with white bait

Kounomono
Assorted pickles

Mizumono
Assorted fresh fruit

Ocha
Green tea

BEVERAGES MENU

Special cocktail

Golden Spice

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Silver Kris Sling
Gin Fizz
Cloud Nine
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Daiquiri
Red or White Wine Cooler

Aperitifs

Campari
Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic cocktails

Citrus Royale
Tropical Sparkle
Orange Cooler
Fruit Spritzer
Sunrise Surprise

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard
Gordon's Dry Gin
Smirnoff Red Label Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca
Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari

Liqueurs

Cointreau
Tia Maria

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Champagne

Piper Heidsieck 1999

White Wines

Montagny 1er Cru 2004

Red Wines

Serrata Belguardo 2003 Igt Maremma Toscana

Port

Tea selection

Pure Ceylon Tea
Earl Grey
Darjeeling
Camomile
Decaffeinated Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Oolong

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Colombian Supremo
Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Cafe Royal
Espresso
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated Coffee
Mocha

Other Beverages

Chocolate
Milo

Mineral Water

Carbonated mineral water

Fruit Juices

Apple
Orange
Pineapple
Tomato

Soft Drinks

Cold Japanese Oolong Tea

Iced Drinks

Iced Tea
Iced Coffee
Iced Mocha
Iced Chocolate
Iced Milo
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Summary days 1-28
  • map
  • 93,548 flown miles
  • 42 flights
  • 12 a/c types
    • 747-400
    • 767-300
    • 777-200
    • 767-200
    • A319
    • MD-80
    • Jetstream 32
    • 737-400
    • A320
    • Beech 1900D
    • 737-300
  • 8 airlines
    • SQ
    • QF
    • BA
    • AA
    • LA
    • Air National
    • Jet Connect
    • NZ
  • 12 countries
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • United Kingdom
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Oman
    • Spain
    • United States of America
    • Argentina
    • Chile
    • Peru
  • 23 airports (number of transfers)
    • 6 AKL
    • 4 SIN
    • 3 LHR, DFW, LAX, CHC
    • 2 AUH, ORD, BOS, SCL
    • 1 NRT, SYD, MCT, BCN, ELP, SEA, EZE, IPC, LIM, WHK, WKA, WLG, KIX
  • 3 seated in higher cabin than paid
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:42 pm

The gate is close to the main terminal, yet we have to walk away, up a level, take the train to the main terminal, then down a level, to arrive at immigration/transfers which was only a few metres away from the gate Id started at. Hey, maybe Auckland Airport is mimicking their layout (with the addition of more shops)?
Oh dear, and Kansai is a fairly new airport too! If the efficient Japanese can't get it right, what hope is there for AIAL?

Terrific report - the instalment style gives me an incentive to take little 10 minute breaks from the work I'm drowning in.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

For most gates the short train ride wouldnt require backtracking, just my luck to get one that does. Having said that, surprising there isnt a non-train option since it isnt very far. Maybe I just missed seeing it?

As for instalment style. While Id like to say it was for readers convenience I cant. It was for my convenience - if I had to write it up all in one go it just wouldnt happen.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For most gates the short train ride wouldnt require backtracking, just my luck to get one that does. Having said that, surprising there isnt a non-train option since it isnt very far. Maybe I just missed seeing it?
It's all part of one building...........just part and parcel of the muti-billion dollar boondoggle that is Kansai airport. There is actually no need for the train, the Osakans just wanted to show off( and the Central Government turned a blind eye). The train is on the opposite side of the
building and merely goes behind the domestic gates which are glassed off from the 2 international wings on level 3. Years ago I did an international to international connection which entailed only walking through immigration(no checks ) and up a staircase to back to level 3..........
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott-Plat, Hilton-Silver
If you don't mind me asking what does a trip like this cost????
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

KIX-BKK Raffles Menu

LUNCH MENU

To Nibble On

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

A Savoury Note

Smoked salmon garnished with nicoise salad served with thousand island dressing

The Main Event

Beef fillet stuffed with wild mushroom and herb duxelle, sauteed spinach and potato leek gratin

Chinese style roast chicken with hot garlic sauce, assorted vegetables and fried rice

Spaghetti pasta with assorted mushroom bolognese, shaved parmesan cheese

A Sweet Note

Haagen Dazs rum and raisin ice cream with grapes and yuzu

The Cheese Board

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Fruit

A selection of fresh fruit

A Connoisseur`s Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea
and pralines

HANAGOYOMI MENU

"Finding the change of the four seasons in a flower and translating it into cuisine."

An array of nine appetisers and entrees together with miso soup, served in Japanese style.

Ha-Sun
Chicken terrine, gingko nut, sweet potato

Kuchitori
Eel with burdock, chestnut, chrysanthemum petal and leaves

Yakimono
Grilled scallop with sea urchin glaced, matsutake mushroom

Aemono
Chicken and mushroom in ponzu dressing, salmon roes

Sunomono
Marinated deep fried salmon

Takiawase
Simmered herring, eggplant

Gohan
Prawn sushi
Abalone flavoured rice
Steamed rice with kelp

Tome-Wan
Miso soup

Men
Cold buckwheat noodles

Mizugashi
Haagen Dazs rum and raisin ice cream with grapes and yuzu

Ocha
Green tea

BEVERAGES MENU

Special cocktail

Golden Spice

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Silver Kris Sling
Gin Fizz
Cloud Nine
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Daiquiri
Red or White Wine Cooler

Aperitifs

Campari
Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic cocktails

Citrus Royale
Tropical Sparkle
Orange Cooler
Fruit Spritzer
Sunrise Surprise

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard
Gordon's Dry Gin
Smirnoff Red Label Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca
Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari

Liqueurs

Cointreau
Tia Maria

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Champagne

Piper Heidsieck 1999

White Wines

Montagny 1er Cru 2004

Red Wines

Serrata Belguardo 2003 Igt Maremma Toscana

Port

Tea selection

Pure Ceylon Tea
Earl Grey
Darjeeling
Camomile
Decaffeinated Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Oolong

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Colombian Supremo
Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Cafe Royal
Espresso
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated Coffee
Mocha

Other Beverages

Chocolate
Milo

Mineral Water

Carbonated mineral water

Fruit Juices

Apple
Orange
Pineapple
Tomato

Soft Drinks

Cold Japanese Oolong Tea

Iced Drinks

Iced Tea
Iced Coffee
Iced Mocha
Iced Chocolate
Iced Milo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.