Multiple Benefits

Old May 7, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Multiple Benefits

I have a burning question...

Say i'm a AA Platimum and Qantas Silver.
I credit a Qantas domestic flight to AAdvantage. I will certainly be eligible for oneWorld Sapphire benefits (Business Class check-in, as opposed to QP line etc...). But will i get Silver benefits (excess baggage in particular...).

How bout if I credit the flight to QFF. Will I get Sapphire benefits in this case (QP access importantly)?
Old May 7, 2006, 3:53 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by furryraccoon
I have a burning question...

Say i'm a AA Platimum and Qantas Silver.
I credit a Qantas domestic flight to AAdvantage. I will certainly be eligible for oneWorld Sapphire benefits (Business Class check-in, as opposed to QP line etc...). But will i get Silver benefits (excess baggage in particular...).

How bout if I credit the flight to QFF. Will I get Sapphire benefits in this case (QP access importantly)?
The baggage benefits are only applicable if you are using that airlines FF scheme and metal, so you would have access to QP but no extra baggage if you used AA
Old May 7, 2006, 5:02 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by markis10
The baggage benefits are only applicable if you are using that airlines FF scheme and metal, so you would have access to QP but no extra baggage if you used AA
Where in the QF FF program Terms and Conditions does it say you have to be using your QF FF number to obtain the benefits? So long as you have proof of your membership, I think you should be able to obtain the benefits.

If the check-in agent give you grief, as for a supervisor. And if all else fails, have them insert your QF FF number, check-in the bags, then have ythe QF FF number removed and the AA number inserted. However, this can be dangerous as it has been well reported that some agents do not complete this task properly and the QF number may end up sticking.

The QF FF Terms and Conditions do state that the QF status benefits such as additional checked luggage allowance (not OneWorld benefits) only apply if you are flying on a Qantas flight, so do not apply if flying on an AA (or other OneWorld flight).
Old May 7, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by NM
Where in the QF FF program Terms and Conditions does it say you have to be using your QF FF number to obtain the benefits? So long as you have proof of your membership, I think you should be able to obtain the benefits.
Absolutely, that is my view too.

You can mix memberships for benefits, if they both apply, and the rules allow it - to use a personal *A e.g., I for a few months had *A Gold status in both UA and BD, and on a domestic US itin. I was crediting miles to UA. But their rules state that status does not get you domestic lounge access - so I just used my BD card to get lounge access (without the FF number ever having to have been in the booking) : Totally allowed in the rules, and means being able to get benefit from both statuses in the same network.
Old May 7, 2006, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I can confirm that you do not have to be crediting to any particular FF plan to get any of the benefits, so getting QFF baggage allowance while crediting to AA is fine and quite normal. As are any possible permutations, just be prepared to show proof of status. It is also possible to have 2 FF numbers in the same reservation, however sometimes this is done incorrectly (I always put in my WP status when crediting to AA on QF; bugs the hell out of some agents).
Old May 7, 2006, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
...(I always put in my WP status when crediting to AA on QF; bugs the hell out of some agents).
I didn't quite understand this bit number_6 - are you saying you somehow put both FF numbers in for the same flight (not just one for one flight in an itin., one on another) ?!? Is such a thing possible, and if this is right what would the benefits be in doing so (as obviously the miles only go to one account) ? Or are you saying something else entirely here ?
Old May 7, 2006, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
One FFP # in FQTS field for status, and another FFP # in FQTV field for mileage earning. AFAIK not all airlines allow to enter both fields.

With some airlines and check in agents it is risky attempting to do this as potential for miles to go to the wrong FFP # is high.
Old May 7, 2006, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Precisely as explained by Kiwi Flyer, and it is risky as he states, probably 50% chance to get the fields inverted (so it seems to be random). The non-earning FF status is useful only for status, in this case avoiding the snears at AA EXP. While it should work flawlessly, at this point it is rather hit and miss.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:35 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NM
If QF chose they could request you use your number on this basis: Qantas reserves the right to require the Member to produce their Card and to quote their Membership number and PIN at any time while booking, ticketing or while the Member is travelling on or claiming or utilising any Awards or Benefits.

In reality I dont think it would be a problem to claim that 10kg allowance by just flashing your card! Its a pity baggage allowance is not a one world benefit - had issues with CX in the past!
Old May 7, 2006, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Baggage allowance is however a *A elite benefit.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:59 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by markis10
If QF chose they could request you use your number on this basis: Qantas reserves the right to require the Member to produce their Card and to quote their Membership number and PIN at any time while booking, ticketing or while the Member is travelling on or claiming or utilising any Awards or Benefits.

In reality I don't think it would be a problem to claim that 10kg allowance by just flashing your card! Its a pity baggage allowance is not a one world benefit - had issues with CX in the past!
Producing the card and quoting the pin is not an issue. I always carry it. And that condition (Paragraph 6.4 in the Terms and Conditions) makes no reference to the need to have the FF number associated with the booking - just that you must be able to produce the card and quote the PIN if requested.

So having an AA Nobody number in the booking, and waltzing up to the F check-in queue with 10Kg or an extra piece of baggage to be checked should not be a problem so long as you have your QF Platinum card in hand and can quote the PIN is requested.

The intent of that clause is to ensure only the owner of the membership account is using the benefits. And if you have earned Platinum (or lifetime Gold or similar) status with Qantas, then I can't find anything that stops you using the associated benefits while having another airline's FF number associated with the reservation for the purposes of earning points/miles/status with the other airline.
Old May 8, 2006, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Precisely as explained by Kiwi Flyer, and it is risky as he states, probably 50% chance to get the fields inverted (so it seems to be random). The non-earning FF status is useful only for status, in this case avoiding the snears at AA EXP. While it should work flawlessly, at this point it is rather hit and miss.
Thanks number_6 and KF, you learn something everyday (espec. on FT !). Had no idea you could do such a thing... not that in OW I would want or need to ! Good to know nonetheless.
Old May 8, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
While yes, the system is supposed to be able to handle two FF #s, what I would do is put my QF# in, check in, then head to the lounge with AA membership card out. At entry to the lounge, present the BP and AA card, and ask them to kindly change my # to the AA one as that is what I would like the flight to be credited to....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.