Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320 [Archived Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320 [Archived Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:22 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Another vote for 6C on A319, my preferred seat if I can't get into F. Another plus is you don't need to get up if your seatmates need to use the lav. You can also duck into the F lav if you time it right.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Thumbs up

You lose about 1/2 inch of seat width, making these seats still comparable to seats on a 757. There's more leg room in Row 6 than in Row 2 of First Class. You can store your bag behind the seat in Row 2, on the other side of the wall. Be a good passenger and wait for the seatbelt sign to go off and then get your belongings to use during the flight. Cutout is fine for your toes. I'm 5' 11" and will ALWAYS choose this seat if I can't get upgraded.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
You lose about 1/2 inch of seat width, making these seats still comparable to seats on a 757. There's more leg room in Row 6 than in Row 2 of First Class. You can store your bag behind the seat in Row 2, on the other side of the wall. Be a good passenger and wait for the seatbelt sign to go off and then get your belongings to use during the flight. Cutout is fine for your toes. I'm 5' 11" and will ALWAYS choose this seat if I can't get upgraded.
i can only echo this (except that i'm 6' 1") and for me with the foot cutouts, i can put my briefcase under the f/c seat and still have enough room for my legs to extend fully. i prefer the aisle (6c/d) simply because you don't have to disturb anyone if you have to get up and you can actually see the movie easier by looking into f/c.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:50 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by goalie
i can only echo this (except that i'm 6' 1") and for me with the foot cutouts, i can put my briefcase under the f/c seat and still have enough room for my legs to extend fully. i prefer the aisle (6c/d) simply because you don't have to disturb anyone if you have to get up and you can actually see the movie easier by looking into f/c.
Now I'm confused. I was not under the impression that A319 cut-outs went all the way through. If so, then that might change a lot.

I thought that only on ex-shuttle 735's could you access the space under the FC seat from the Y bulkhead.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Amen... row 6 is great. I'm even able to fit my backpack under the cutout. ^
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I'm a 6C/6D man on the A320 and A319 whenever possible.

Back when UA first got these babies (at least the A320), the bulkhead did extend all the way down, but you had immense legroom (were talking like the old 777XP Business Class legroom - around 42" or more) in Row 6 as well as Row 1.

UA eventually shrunk both Row 1 and Row 6, but the new bulkheads did not extend all the way down to the floor, so you can put your bags underneath (think the new bulkheads on the ex-SHT 737s in front of Row 3). So you lose some legroom, in general, but with the cutout you should still be able to stretch out your legs.

The Exit Rows on the A320 are still the best in terms of legroom, but I like 6CD because the First Class FA usually takes care of me. ^
Old May 15, 2005, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
I always like row 6 although I have been on Airbus' where it is row 4 because the bulkhead is cut out at the bottom.

I usually only travel for a week so I usually have my laptop case and a hand-carry and if I am late and there is no overhead space for my hand-carry, I can squeeze it behind the seats in row 2 by wedging it between the bulkhead and row 2 and have my laptop under the seat in row 2. On a couple of occasions I even fit my hand-carry completely underneat the seat when there was an empty B or E seat.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
TED like SEATigger Public Seating Announcement. TED think it is very good!

TED believes that Mainline A320 will go away when TED takes over all UA A320's! RAR!
Old May 16, 2005, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I just did SFO-PHL-SFO on A319 in 6C both ways...the upgrade would have been a waste. The bulkhead cutouts are very generous, especially if you don't have a neighbor! The only thing is that you can't watch the movie very easily, but since it's always Lemony Snicket, you have already probably seen it 12 times without ever trying to...
Old May 16, 2005, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Somehow, compare to 757s, I find the first class seats on the A320 rather cushy and more comfortable. Personally, 1A or 11D are my preferred seats on A320^ .
Old May 16, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs up Amusing

Originally Posted by warreng24
TED like SEATigger Public Seating Announcement. TED think it is very good!

TED believes that Mainline A320 will go away when TED takes over all UA A320's! RAR!
This got me laughing after a long Monday in China!!!! Thanks!!!!!!
-UFFA
Hopefully, not becoming TEDFFinAsia anytime soon!!!

Originally Posted by NewFlierCa
I love posts like these, great job. I am going to be on an Airbus 319, and I guess, I "successfully" got 1B in First Class? Is there a video monitor straight ahead of me, or do I have to look up at the monitor from the ceiling? Let's say I am traveling from ORD-SMF, on a lunch flight, will I just have one little meal, or a full out First Class meal?
WELCOME TO FT NewFlierCa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The more you hang around the more you learn. The search function is pretty useful for a wide range of topics not to mention the knowlegde of everyone who posts. Once again Welcome to FT ^
-UFFA

Last edited by UnitedFFinAsia; May 16, 2005 at 5:18 am Reason: Welcome to FT NewFlierCa
Old May 16, 2005, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Spot-on analysis SEA_Tigger.

Row 6 on either of these planes is the best address in Y. Lots of legroom with underseat storage. One can get out into the aisle without having others get up and are off the plane quickly. Very comfortable Y seats--wish all the UA planes could have these Y seats. I recall reading on here, UA had Recaro design the Y seats for these planes.

I'm not that fond of the bulkhead F seats in either of these planes even with the cutouts. The only one I find tolerable is 1B since you can angle your feet into the aisle. One just can't extend their legs out completely even with the cutout.

It is a bummer that UA chose the A320 for TED. It leaves such a small first section with the more numerous remaining A319s and half the seats are bulkhead. And the bulkhead seats are often the ones remaining for upgrades.

Last edited by CApreppie; May 16, 2005 at 11:11 am
Old May 16, 2005, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'm not that fond of the bulkhead F seats in either of these planes even with the cutouts. The only one I find tolerable is 1B since you can angle your feet into the aisle. One just can't extend their legs out completely even with the cutout. It is a bummer that UA chose the A320 for TED. It leaves such a small first section with the more numerous remaining A319s and half the seats are bulkhead. And the bulkhead seats are often the ones remaining for upgrades.
My A319 might have been an abberation, but it had excellent bulkhead F pitch (about what the 777XA does) and with both cutouts, I could pretty much fully stretch out and I am 6'2" with long legs.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:21 pm

In addition to the cutouts for 1AB and the lack of anyone reclining in front of you (a key feature if you are a heavy laptop user), I also like that in 1AB if you slouch down a bit you can rest your feet on the bulkhead ahead of you. Maybe it is a bit rude, but it is reasonably comfortable. All of these make 1B my favorite seat on the A319/A320.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know this is about seating, BUT...something worth noting is that the A320 F Cabin has EmPower*, the A319 has nada.

* You may get the nice surprise of a plastic cover over the plug thus providing you with 20, may 30, minutes of laptop battery usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.