Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Premium Shaohsing 10 Years (For Japan Routes Only)

Sake

Kizakura Ginjo (For Japan Routes Only)

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert, French
Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru
Chablis Chardonnay, France
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus, Mosel Spatlese
Mosel Valley Riesling White Wine, Germany
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

O:Tu, Marlborough 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc White Wine, New Zealand
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, 2006 Medoc
Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

Chianti Classico, 2011 COLI
Chianti Classico DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

Galvin Family Cellars, 2009 Merlot Reserve
Napa Valley, Merlot Reserve, USA
The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
China Airlines
Business Class menu
Brisbane to Auckland
November 2014

Lunch menu

Salad

Mixed garden green salad with balsamic vinegar dressing

Main course

Wok fried snapper with garlic sauce
shiitake mushroom, carrot, broccoli, stir-fried rice with egg

or

Grilled beef tenderloin with crushed black pepper
broccoli, cherry tomato, gratin mashed potato and pumpkin, whole grain mustard sauce

or

Chicken confit - French style slowly cooked
spicy cabbage, cherry tomato, crushed potato, red bell pepper sauce

Assorted bread served with homemade butter

White torpedo roll, sourdough, multigrain roll

Fresh fruits of the season

103Q4-CI053C-5

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky
Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch
Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Premium Shaohsing 10 Years (For Japan Routes Only)

Sake

Kizakura Ginjo (For Japan Routes Only)

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert, French
Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru
Chablis Chardonnay, France
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus, Mosel Spatlese
Mosel Valley Riesling White Wine, Germany
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

O:Tu, Marlborough 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc White Wine, New Zealand
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, 2006 Medoc
Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

Chianti Classico, 2011 COLI
Chianti Classico DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

Galvin Family Cellars, 2009 Merlot Reserve
Napa Valley, Merlot Reserve, USA
The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

After a hiatus including some flying on Star Alliance and passing 1 million flown miles on a second airline, I'm back onto Sky Team flying and so will resume this report shortly.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Incheon Seoul on Korean Air B747-400 in business (AKL-ICN C)

After my previous experience with the airport shuttle waiting for an hour I decided to take a shuttle back to the airport earlier than I normally would. This one was on time so I hopped off at domestic terminal and walked across to internation for a fix of A1 fumes and to fill in time.

At check in I was quickly checked in for this flight, but the onward codeshare flight took longer to see to. Being a codeshare flight I had been unable to pre-select a seat as both the marketing airline and operating airline blocked seat selection. Fortunately I was able to get my preferred aisle seat. Unfortunately it is right next to a closet, so not the most ideal. A comparison of available seats with the seat map I'd printed out and brought with me showed no better seats available. Oh well.

The airport's carry on police were scrupulously checking all carry ons as usual. I handed my departure card to the officer and headed to use the smartgate kiosks as usual when I was called back - you can't use smartgate flying Korean. So for the first time in several years I had to join the regular immigration queue out of Auckland. Normally I use smartgate, or the premium line that Air NZ has via their premium check in lobby, or the pre-clearance route when flying Emirates or Qantas or Singapore Airlines daytime flight. Being holiday season the line was long and slow moving.

Up to the lounge. At the entrance was a sign saying no guests allowed due to overcrowding. Indeed it was fairly full with several widebody flights departing in the next couple of hours. Lots of flights were called. The boarding time came and went with no call for my flight. I decided to leave the lounge anyway and stretch my legs en route to the gate.

At the gate there was no sign of boarding so left to wander a bit more. Departure time came and went with still no boarding. Eventually it was our turn. I boarded very late in the process, so as to see if the adjacent seat had remained empty. If yes then I can leave stuff on it that would otherwise have to go in the overhead bin. My seat was taken. There was a large family spread over a few rows and they'd seated themselves in the wrong seats. I offered to the crew to switch to another row which had 2 empty seats. This was accepted.

We departed an hour late. This was to cause issues for some connecting passengers since Korean has 45 minute minimum connection time at Seoul.

I was very tired so after brunch, a movie, and a few glasses of bubbles, I slept for a few hours. The passenger across the aisle from me was very sick - coughing up a lung and sneezing all flight. Hopefully nothing too serious or contagious.

When I awoke it was time for bubbles ahead of dinner. The first glass offered was flat and warm. The replacement glass was better.

Due to our late arrival time we had been given a gate in the main terminal. Every other time I've flown Korean from Auckland we've gotten a gate at the satellite terminal (departing flights are from the main terminal).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 21, 2014 at 2:21 am
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seoul transit

Our gate was right across from transfer security. As usual at this time of day the lines were long but quickly moving.

On arrival at the lounge I was advised my flight departed from the satellite terminal and was instructed to visit the lounge there. I persisted. I wanted to have a shower here. (In any case the amenities in the main terminal are better than in the satellite terminal, and my flight is hours away, so I didn't want to move across too early.)

There was a short wait for a shower. I was given a buzzer and had just settled into a drink when it went off. Refreshed I had another drink before leaving and roaming the terminal. After a while I took the train to the satellite terminal and visited the Korean Air lounge there. The was limited food & beverage available, no newspapers or magazines. I got bored and left to roam the satellite terminal until boarding.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 21, 2014 at 2:40 am
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Korean Air
Business Class menu
Auckland to Seoul Incheon
December 2014

Wine List

Wine

Champagne

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut

White Wines

Australia Chardonnay, Tyrrell's Moon Mountain, 2011
New Zealand, Clos Henri Sauvignon Blanc, 2012

Red Wines

California, Sebastiani Sonoma County Merlot 2010
Australia, Haselgrove Catkin Shiraz 2012

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Kir / Kir Royale / Campari
Tio Pepe Dry Sherry / Dry Vermouth
Founders Reserve Porto, Sandeman
Martini / Tom Collins / Whisky Sour
Bloody Mary / Screwdriver / Gin & Tonic
Chivas Regal 18 Years Rare Old
Johnnie Walker Gold
Glenfiddich 15 Years Malt Whisky
Jack Daniel's / Absolut Vodka
Beefeater Gin / Bacardi Rum

Brandy and Liqueurs

Cointreau / Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cassis / Bailey's Irish Cream
Remy Martin Cognac XO

Selected Beers of the World

Light Meal

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Hot spicy beef short rib served with steamed rice and sauteed spinach

Pumpkin and spinach frittata served with potato, red onion, button mushroom and grilled tomato

Pork and shrimp wonton noodle soup served with side dishes

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Croissant, whole wheat roll, muffin
Selection of jam and butter

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Lunch

Pre-Drink Starter

Roasted bell pepper roll with cream cheese served with balsamic reduction

Appetizer

Tomato and mozzarella with Italian dressing

Soup

Green pea cream soup
(offered with western main course)

Main Course

Korean "Bibimbap" offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and "Gochujang" (Korean hot pepper paste)

Grilled beef tenderloin with whole grain mustard sauce served with roasted potato, mushroom, sundried tomato and onion ring

Stir fried chicken with black pepper sauce served with egg fried rice, pak choy and carrot

Cheese Tray

Camembert, cheddar, blue

Dessert

Ice cream or apricot frangipane

Bread Selection

Garlic baguette, multi grain roll, ciabatta

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE130-2014/12/01
P130-D
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Incheon Seoul to Amsterdam on KLM B747-400 combi in business (ICN-AMS C)

I was looking forward to this flight as it was a new airline and a new route for me. The schedule, however, leaves something to be desired. Scheduled departure time around 1am (i.e. or getting up time in my home time zone) and scheduled arrival time before 5am. At least the flight is long enough to get some sleep.

Since I had a first row seat I wanted to board early to snag overhead bin space, which I preferred to using the locker at the front of the cabin. The configuration is odd with 15 seats jammed into the nose, including 3 solo seats, and the galley taking up one side of the aircraft between doors one and two. Having said that the arrangement made it easy for crew to allow all business class passengers to disembark before economy passengers, regardless of whether airbridges are attached at door 1 and door 2 (as at Incheon) or just door 2 (a at Amsterdam).

For a forward facing business class seat I thought it was quite good. Reasonable length. Lie flat and no laying with feet on an angle as with say Singapore Airlines. Reasonable width. Small item can be stowed beneath the ottoman. Good privacy screen. All in very comfortable.

A pre-departure drink and meal orders were taken. A choice of no meal, full meal or snack/appetizer only. I had a meal, and a night cap before falling asleep. Breakfast was served around 2am in the arrival timezone - quite early because we'd be landing half an hour early just after 4am.

The IFE was much better (far more selections) than on the other sky team airlines I'd flown recently.

Service was great except for taking away my dinner tray before I'd quite finished.

I really enjoyed the flight and left the flight wondering why it had taken me so long to fly KLM.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

KLM
Business Class menu
Seoul Incheon to Amsterdam
December 2014

Supper

Main course

Vegetable lasagne
with zucchini and tomato

or

Grilled chicken shashlik
served with creamy linguine and rataouille

Side dishes

The Western hot meal is served with mesclun salad with toasted almonds and cheese and a cheese selection of camembert and Emmental cheese.

Dessert

Fresh fruit tartlet

Express option

Instead of a full supper you may also choose for finger food and a drink.

Quick bite

Korean wrap with smoked duck, Parma ham with pear, smoked salmon canape, tofu and vegetables in egg wrap, potato with mushrooms, and a green pea cream soup.

Korean option

Main course

Beef galbijim
accompanied by steamed rice and bok choy with chestnuts
Served with Samcheonggak red pepper paste.

Side dishes

The Korean hot meal is served with a garden salad and kimchi.

Dessert

Fresh fruit tartlet

Coffee and tea

Coffee and tea served with chocolates created by famous Dutch patisserie Van Wely and your choice of digestif.

Refreshments

At any time during the flight, snacks, instant noodles and drinks are available upon your request.

Before landing

Compose the breakfast of your preference by adding hot and cold breakfast selections to the fruit salad and yoghurt served on your tray.

Breakfast

Spanish omelette in tomato sauce

or

Apricot danish

Granola

Cheese

Jam and chocolate sprinkles

Hard-boiled egg

Hot rolls and croissants

Wine

Champagne

Nicolas Feuillate, Brut Reserve
Champagne, France
No less than 82 Champagne cooperatives that represent more than 5,000 grape growers are united under the umbrella Nicolas Feuillate. The wines offer an impressive quality, as shown by the Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve, an elegant, refreshing, pleasantly fruity Champagne with fine bubbles.

White wine

De Kleine Schorre 2012
Zeeland, Netherlands
The Netherlands' largest wine estate, De Kleine Schorre, lies close to the sea, in the southwestern province of Zeeland, where the vines grow on a shell-rich soil. This explains the delightfully refreshing, almost breezy character of its fruity wines, including its Auxerrois, Pinot Blanc and Rivaner. Please ask the cabin staff which of these is available on this flight. Perfect partner to appetisers and salads.

Chateau Rives-Blanques, Limoux 2013
Limoux, France
The name of Chateau Rives-Blanques is French, as is its location - a plateau near Limoux in southern France. The owner, however, is a Ducthman, Jan Panman. With passion and dedication he has made it one of the leading estates in the region, producing wonderful wines such as this Le Limoux, a juicy blend of Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Mauzac with slightly spicy notes of green, white and citrus fruit. Combines well with all kinds of appetisers and fish dishes.

Red wine

Map Maker, Pinot Noir 2014
Marlborough, New Zealand
Referring to the map that explorer Abel Tasman made after having discovered New Zealand, Dutch producer Ruud Maasdam created the brand Map Maker for wines from the famous Marlborough region. His carefully created Pinot Noir is a beautifully subtle and well textured wine with ripe notes of berries and cherries, enhanced by a touch of spicy oak. Pairs well with beef, lamb and poultry dishes.

Aaldering Lady M Pinotage 2013
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Fons Aaldering, a Ducth entrepreneur who runs an estate in Stellenbosch, has one goal : to make wines of the highest quality. New in Aaldering's award winning collection is an unwooded Pinotage, Lady M, dedicated to his wife Marianne. This powerful Pinotage is a real sensual treat with its sundrenched fruit flavours of blackberries, ripe plums and black cherries. Perfect partner to beef dishes and hard and blue cheeses.

Salentein, Malbec Barrel Selection 2012
Valle de Uco, Argentina
Mendoza's beautiful Uco Valley, at the foot of the snow-capped Andes, is the site of one of Argentina's most spectacular and successful estates : Salentein - a dream turned into a reality by Dutch entrepreneur Mijndert Pon. His supple and full Malbec Barrel Selection combines sun-drenched berries and black fruit with notes of bay leaf, vanilla and spicy oak. Tastes best with beef dishes and hard cheeses.

Dessert wine

Errazuriz, Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Casablanca Valley, Chine
"From the best land the best wines" was the motto of Maximiano Errazuiz, founder of the famous Chilean winery that bears his name. His heir, Eduardo Chadwick, cherishes the same principles, and sourced the cool yet sunny Casablanca Valley for this discreetly rich yet fresh dessert wine, which offers fine nuances of peach, exotic fruit and caramelized apples. A perfect complement to sweet desserts.

Port

Taylor's 2009
Late Bottled Vintage Port
Taylor Fladgate & Yeatman is one of Portugals most famous Port producers. The company - in the beautiful Duoro Valley - is specialised in Ports from a single vintage. Its Late Bottled Vintage 2009 was aged for several years in wood. Its taste is both smooth and full of vitality, with lots of ripe black fruit complemented by soft spicy oak. Particularly delicious with hard and blue cheeses.

Croft Pink Port
Portugal
It was Adrian Bridge, director of Croft Port, who thought of creating a rose version of Port. A challenge, but the solution was found by using traditional Port grapes, extracting only a slight amount of colour from their skins and fermenting the wine at low temperature. The result is a fresh Port, rich with sweet red fruit. Best served slightly chilled with desserts and blue cheeses.

Beverages

Non alcoholic

Soft drinks

Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Light
Coca-Cola Zero
Fanta Orange
Sprite
Sprite Zero
Nestea iced tea
Ginger ale
Tonic Water
Soda Water
Perrier sparkling water
Saint Amand mineral water

Juices

Freshly squeezed orange juice
Freshly squeezed apple juice
Cranberry juice
Tomato juice
Campina fresh milk

Hot drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
Dilmah Tea

Alcoholic

Aperitifs

Campari bitter

Spirits

Chivas Regal 12 years blended Scotch Whisky
Highland Park 12 years single malt Scotch Whisky
Jim Beam Kentucky straight Bourbon Whiskey
Bols Genever
Bacardi white Rum
Absolut Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Gin

Cognac

Courvoisier VSOP

Liqueurs

Drambuie
Cointreau
Amarula

Beer

Heineken

KL0856 | 21 DEC 2014
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay. I might just have enough time before boarding to post some more, otherwise will definitely have time in the next transit later today.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Amsterdam to Incheon Seoul on Korean Air A330-200 in business (AMS-ICN C)

From past experience at AMS the screens often show boarding when the flight has not yet started boarding so I was in no hurry to head to the gate. Today our flight was from the end of F pier and there was another flight departing shortly afterwards from the adjacent gate meaning there was a crowd of people from two flights queuing to enter the security area. I knew from my previous exploring that I'd gotten lucky with one of the few gates to have only one nudeoscope instead of the usual two, so made sure to use the premium lane in order to get the metal detector instead of the nudeoscope.

I got a beep at the boarding pass check. Alas no op-up but instead a check I had no checked in luggage. Since they had brought my PNR up anyway I asked if I could get the boarding pass for my onward flight to save time in my shortish connection at Seoul. They were unable to get the boarding pass issued. It seems there was a problem with my PNR, of which I'll experience more later. On the plus side, I noticed on the screen that the adjacent seat had been blocked for me in the otherwise fairly full cabin.

Despite no overhead bins in the middle of the aircraft and my boarding almost last, there was plenty of space for my rollaboard. I enjoyed a pre-departure drink while noting that an on-time departure seemed unlikely given the doors hadn't yet been closed. Earlier I'd noticed the departure screens showed about 40 departing flights in a 40 minute period around our departure time, so it was no surprise to get an announcement of a delay in pushing back, followed 10 minutes later by another announcement of more delay.

Despite our late departure and no boarding pass for my onward fight I wasn't worried. Although it was starting to look touch and go if I'd be able to get a shower during the transit as our expected arrival time was not too much before boarding commences for the onward flight, and I'd take at least 15 to 20 minutes to get from arrival gate through security to transfer desk, get the boarding pass and make my way back to departing gate.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The flight itself went by nicely, especially once they switched to the "good" bubbles. Unfortunately I fell asleep shortly afterwards and awoke briefly wanting more but fell asleep again. This time for a few more hours. I must have been more tired than I realised as I only expected to sleep 2-3 hours given the need to sleep on the onward flight and adjust my body clock for the large time zone shift. Oh well.

During descent we had some nice views of the wintery landscape with lots of snow on the land and ice in sheltered bays and rivers. I never tire of this. Coming from somewhere much warmer, this type of scene always seems special to me.

We landed 30 minutes late and had a long taxi to the gate nearest to immigration.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Korean Air
Business Class menu
Amsterdam to Seoul Incheon
December 2014

Wine List

Wine

Champagne

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut

White Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Saint Genes 2011
Alsace, Gewurztraminer 2012

Red Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Moulin De Cassy 2010
Italy, Colli Perugini Rosso 2010

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Kir / Kir Royale / Campari
Tio Pepe Dry Sherry / Dry Vermouth
Founders Reserve Porto, Sandeman
Martini / Tom Collins / Whisky Sour
Bloody Mary / Screwdriver / Gin & Tonic
Chivas Regal 18 Years Rare Old
Johnnie Walker Gold
Glenfiddich 15 Years Malt Whisky
Jack Daniel's / Absolut Vodka
Beefeater Gin / Bacardi Rum

Brandy and Liqueurs

Cointreau / Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cassis / Bailey's Irish Cream
Remy Martin Cognac XO

Selected Beers of the World

Dinner

Pre-Drink Service

Seared scallop with bell pepper sauce

Appetizer

Smoked salmon with cream cheese and horseradish cream

Soup

Lentil cream soup
(offered with Western main course)

Main Course

Korean "Bibimbap" offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and "Gochujang" (Korean hot pepper paste)

Sauteed beef tenderloin with port wine sauce served with dauphinoise potatoes, oyster mushroom and seasonal vegetables

Pan-fried salmon with pine nut and choron sauce served with boiled potato, seasoned spinach and carrot

Cheese Tray

Camembert, chaumes

Dessert

Seasonal fresh fruit or ice cream

Bread Selection

Garlic baguette, pumpkin seed roll, soft roll

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Breakfast

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Korean style rice porridge served with side dishes

Vegetables and bacon frittata served with roasted potato, Tomato, sauteed spinach and grilled pork sausage

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Croissant, Danish pastry, soft white roll
Selection of jam and butter

Continental Breakfast

Yoghurt selection

Seasonal fresh fruit

Bread selection

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE926-2014/12/01
P926-D
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Somehow I missed this when it first came out. I would love to have flown each and every one of these flights, but then I'd probably weigh 300 pounds after enjoying all that delicious food! Thanks for taking the time to transcribe all of those menus. Hopefully you've been accruing oodles of miles so that you can upgrade to First Class soon!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Somehow I missed this when it first came out. I would love to have flown each and every one of these flights, but then I'd probably weigh 300 pounds after enjoying all that delicious food! Thanks for taking the time to transcribe all of those menus. Hopefully you've been accruing oodles of miles so that you can upgrade to First Class soon!
Thanks. There is still quite a lot more to come including a couple more Sky Team airlines.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Incheon Seoul to Auckland on Korean Air B747-400 in business (ICN-AKL C)

The transfer security queue was shorter at this time than most other times I've been through. However there was a brief delay because it took a bit to find my name on the print out of my itinerary. Without that I would have had to go through immigration and check in landside.

At transfer desk I was given a boarding pass for the next flight. I noticed my FFP was not showing. On Korean Air not only do they print the FFP number and status, but also show current and lifetime mileage balances. So it was quite obvious to me it was missing. The agent was unable to manually input my FFP number. I do not understand how the FFP number was missing in the first place - it was in the booking and showed on my previous boarding passes (and indeed my KE status is the reason for the seat block on the previous flight). I also do not understand how a KE agent cannot add a KE FFP number on a flight operated (and marketed) by KE on a KE ticket.

So it seems I will have to lodge a missing mileage credit. This is a pain with KE as they require the boarding pass (not a copy of the boarding pass) to be mailed (not emailed).

By now it was just over an hour until departure, or just a short while until boarding. I headed to the lounge to try and get a shower. I wasn't confident I'd be given a shower room key due to the limited time available. I think the desk staff didn't notice my onward flight time when I was handed a buzzer. Once again I just had a quick drink before it went off. Refreshed after a quick shower I headed to the nearby gate where boarding was underway.

I had my usual middle aisle seat and as usual when flying Korean on the 747 had an empty seat alongside. This seat had a broken IFE so even though I'd boarded earlier than usual I was confident it would remain empty with the cabin only being half full. The downside is I couldn't use the adjacent seat to show flightpath while watching a movie in my seat.

There was a delay in pushing back and a further delay for de-icing. We reached the runway an hour after scheduled departure. Dinner was served fairly quickly and then I drifted off to sleep. I awoke a couple of hours out from Auckland when the lights were turned up for breakfast. We arrived 20 minutes late and unusually pulled into one of the A380 gates in pier B. With our late arrival all the other early morning arrivals had cleared immigration and mostly cleared customs so it was fairly quickly through.

A new baggage claim area has opened so there is an extra walk coming off the escalator down from immigration instead of turning right then left for baggage claim your turn hard left and do a loop around into the baggage claim area. All unneccessary because the old passage could still be used and direct those using the one belt to the right to go that way, instead of forcing everyone to go the long way around.

Customs also had a subtle change with one of the NZ/Australia lines now having a sign for nothing to declare. Amazingly I was the only person using that line with the other lines having about 20 or 30 people each.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.