Cointreau / Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cassis / Bailey's Irish Cream
Remy Martin Cognac XO

Selected Beers of the World

Light Meal

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Korean style porridge served with savory Koran side dishes

Quiche Lorraine served with roasted potato, green asparagus, pork sausage and cherry tomato

Udon noodle soup with prawn and vegetables
served with side dishes

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Croissant, muffin, olive mini loaf
Selection of jam and butter

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Lunch

Pre-Drink Starter

Seared scallop with mango coulis

Appetizer

Snow crab meat timbale with lime dressing

Soup

Pumpkin and leek cream soup
(offered with western main course)

Main Course

Korean "Bibimbap" offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and "Gochujang" (Korean hot pepper paste)

Grilled beef tenderloin with rosemary red wine sauce served with boiled potato, green asparagus, baby carrots and roasted red onion

Roasted snapper fish with lemon cream sauce served with cheese tortellini, broccoli, yellow cauliflower and roasted red onion

Cheese Tray

Camembert, cheddar, blue

Dessert

Ice cream or cheese cake

Bread Selection

Garlic baguette, white soft roll, pumpkin seed roll

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE130-2014/10/17
P130-C

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 26, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Incheon Seoul to New York JFK on Korean Air A380-800 in business (ICN-JFK C)

The transfer security queue was long, but fast moving. This is normal in my experience. Some flyers who encounter ICN transfer security for the first time when on a short connection panic a little at the long queues, but it rarely takes more than about 10 minutes even when the queue is backed up out of the security "room" and down the passageways.

Thanks to our arrival gate being in the main terminal I had a little time before boarding so headed up to the lounge for a shower. I was welcomed into the lounge but was denied even being put on the waitlist for a shower. They guessed it would be about an hour before the waitlist would clear, which is in between when boarding commences and the flight closes. Personally I would have taken the shot at waitlisting. If it worked then I could have a quick shower and if not then what is the harm. But they were steadfast. So apologies to those sitting near me on this flight.

I left the lounge thinking to try the free showers in the terminal, even though the lounge staff suggested the waitlist would be just as long for that. But I got sidetracked and ended up catching up on some messages on a computer terminal located near the showers. By the time I was done it was time to board. Oops.

Boarding was almost complete when I reached the gate. Last year when I flew Korean Air to Atlanta (also on the A380) there were carry on checks imposed by US requirements in the passage between gate and air bridge. So I was surprised there was none for this flight, unless they'd already checked their quota of passengers and removed the tables etc. I made my way to my seat in the forward cabin, grabbing a magazine from the rack on the wall en route. The forward cabin was almost full with just one spare seat. The other 2 business class cabins were not quite as full.

Slippers and flimsy headphones were waiting in the seat pocket. I find the China Airlines slippers too small for my big feet, but Korean Air has bigger slippers that fit (just) albeit with less padding. An amenity kit and menu was handed out prior to take off. Meal orders were taken for both meals. I haven't mentioned this before but I find it odd that the sky team airlines I've flown this year all seem to do this - take orders for every meal at the start of the flight, whereas most other airlines I've flown longhaul take separate meal orders for each meal. Maybe it is just coincidence, or maybe a reflection that my memory is going (I hope not), but I can't recall this for a non-sky team airline. While I can see it is more efficient for cabin crew, I prefer separate orders because sometimes after tasting the first meal I may have a different preference for the second.

I skipped the pre-departure drink (a choice of water, orange juice and pineapple juice, nothing alcoholic). We left on time, at least as far as pushing back from the gate. Our taxi was slow and we took off about 30 minutes after scheduled departure.

I had a very enjoyable 14 hour flight. I read, ate and drank until I was exhausted. I managed at least 8 hours sleep, which is about as long as I ever manage onboard. While I was still a bit tired this was actually ideal for I have more longhaul flights and, despite all the flying around, so far my body clock is keeping fairly well to my home time zone thanks to fairly fortuitous flight schedules. We landed early and had a short taxi, albeit interrupted for several minutes halt while waiting for our gate to become free.

I made my way to immigration. After about 20 minutes in the visitors line I, and many others, was directed to the US line. There was an automated border control machine to use, which is a first for me entering USA. It recognised my non-US passport fine although had trouble taking a picture due to "background is too dark". Gee tell me something I can actually adjust. Anyway I finally got a receipt from the machine. As it had a big X I was directed to certain line, those without the X were directed to another line. While it is great the machines recognise non-US passports, it seems there are glitches to be ironed. From what I could tell every non-US passport got the X. This meant the line I was in was still for long periods of time as a single officer slowly processed us (until leaving for a break and then waiting 20 minutes for his replacement to log in to the system or whatever it is they do before they first call people over). I would have been processed far quicker remaining in the visitor line. By the time I got to the front it was already 90 minutes of queueing. Lucky I didn't have a tight connection. At the desk there were a few questions about my odd itinerary but this didn't take long. The officer took my customs form and stamped the machine receipt. Another queue at customs and a couple more questions about my odd itinerary and I was free to go.

So nearly 2 hours from landing to getting landside - not at all unusual in my experience arriving in USA as a non-American. Hopefully the machines which accept non-US passports get their kinks ironed out and rolled out to other airports. Those who didn't get the X seemed to get through in about 10 minutes total, including the time queueing to get to the machines.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:50 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Korean Air
Business Class menu
Seoul Incheon to New York JFK
October 2014

Wine List

Wine

Champagne

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut

White Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Saint Genes 2011
California, Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc 2012

Red Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Peyrabon 2008
California, Sebastiani Sonoma County Merlot 2010

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Kir / Kir Royale / Campari
Tio Pepe Dry Sherry / Dry Vermouth
Founders Reserve Porto, Sandeman
Martini / Tom Collins / Whisky Sour
Bloody Mary / Screwdriver / Gin & Tonic
Chivas Regal 18 Years Rare Old
Johnnie Walker Gold
Glenfiddich 15 Years Malt Whisky
Jack Daniel's / Absolut Vodka
Beefeater Gin / Bacardi Rum

Brandy and Liqueurs

Remy Martin Cognac XO

Dinner

Pre-Drink Service

Plum in pomegranate vinegar

Appetizer

Feta cheese with sliced fig and parma ham

Soup

Lentil cream soup

Main Course

Korean "Bibimbap" offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and "Gochujang" (Korean hot pepper paste)

Chicken curry with rice served with side dishes

Grilled beef steak with herb cream sauce served with parmesan potatoes, mushroom and mixed vegetables

Dongporou stytle steamed pork belly served with egg fried rice and Chinese vegetable

Cheese Tray

Comte, chaumes, saint andre

Dessert

Ice cream or black tea cake

Bread Selection

Walnut soft roll, mini baguette, steamed Chinese bao

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Pizza Margarita

Onigiri

Snack

Breakfast

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Korean style beef bone soup served with side dishes

Vegetable sweet potato frittata served with grilled tomato, roasted pork sausage, mushroom and broccoli

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Zucchini bread, croissant, cinnamon Danish

Continental Breakfast

Yoghurt selection

Seasonal fresh fruit

Bread selection

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE085-2014/09/01
P085-C(A380)

Celestial Bar

Absolut Flying Champagne Cocktail
Absolut Elyx, Inniskillin Icewine and Champagne.

Absolut White Chocolate Cocktail
Absolut Vanilla, coffee and white chocolate.

Absolut Pineapple Bliss
Absolut Citron, pineapple, lemon and fresh mint.
Served in a Cocktail glass.

Absolut Collins
Absolut Vodka, lemon, sugar and soda.
Served in a Highball glass.

Absolut Pear Deluxe
Absolut Pears, apple, citrus and Champagne.

Absolut Raspberry Delight
Absolut Citron, raspberries, citrus and soda.
Served in a Lowball glass.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry I'm slightly behind in posting. There will be a slight delay for the next instalment as I'm boarding another flight.

I'm less than halfway through this madness despite having flown over 99,000 miles so far. Just as well I enjoy flying so much.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

New York JFK to Incheon Seoul on Korean Air A380-800 in business (JFK-ICN C)

Once landside it was a short walk and up the escalator to check in for the return flight. I had planned to wander around to stretch my legs and fill in time between the flights (the turnaround was 4 hours). But 2 hours to get landside plus a visibly long queue for security changed my mind. The priority lane for boarding pass & ID check had a short queue compared to the main lane, but this was undone by being directed to a very slow security lane. Whereas the main lane had a choice of several security lanes which were all moving much faster. Hidden around the corner for the priority lane was a nudeoscope. Hence more delays. It would have been quicker to take the regular lane and straight to the WTMD.

I headed for the Korean Air lounge, which was by gate 3 despite our flight departing from the other pier. There was no queue for the shower (collect key at lounge reception) so I was able to freshen up well before boarding time. The lounge was crowded because the flight was full. I left the lounge early to walk some laps around the small terminal.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I waited until boarding had nearly completed before boarding. This was a stupid mistake. Being a flight from USA of course many passengers have large carry-ons, and in some cases multiple large carry-ons. The overhead bins on the window side are too shallow for most rollaboards and so the inner bins were already full for several rows (as far as I checked) on either side of my seat. Fortunately my carry-on is small and I was able to fit a spot in the window side overhead bins not too many rows away from my seat. Phew. I did not want to have to check my bags from onboard - on an international itinerary with connecting onward flights there is too much that can go wrong.

An abbreviated supper service was straight after take-off. If you get hungry then you really need to stay awake for this, despite the near 1am departure time, because the only other meal on the 14+ hour flight is a breakfast. I remember a couple of my earlier longhaul business class flights between Auckland and Singapore, which is about 10 hours in that direction and 9 hours plus change in the opposite direction. Those flights had 2 full meals, plus a snack which was substantial enough that it would also pass for a meal these days.

Anyway, after supper I was slightly tired but wanted to time my sleep to manage the internal body clock. That means staying up for several hours and sleeping the second half of the flight. Not wanting to disturb the passengers around me I took my book and went to the bar/lounge at the rear of the upper deck to read and imbibe in a few (okay more than a few) drinks. It was very relaxing and the time passed fairly quickly.

I resumed my seat and went to sleep quickly. I was awoken by bright lights and thought that didn't feel like 6 hours as planned. Sure enough it was only 2 hours of sleep. The cabin was being woken for the breakfast meal some 6 hours before landing (and about 1/2 hour before the meal was actually served ). This might be fine for those on NY time, but it is around 10:30pm Korean time and I would guess many people end up having a 2nd breakfast once on the ground to get them through to lunch.

Fortunately I managed to get some more sleep, well dozing.

We arrived on time at 4am, which meant transfer security had no queue.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Korean Air
Business Class menu
New York JFK to Seoul Incheon
October 2014

Wine List

Wine

Champagne

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut

White Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Saint Genes 2011
California, Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc 2012

Red Wines

Bordeaux, Chateau Peyrabon 2008
California, Sebastiani Sonoma County Merlot 2010

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Johnnie Walker Gold

Brandy and Liqueurs

Remy Martin Cognac XO

Supper

Soup

Tomato cream soup

Main Course

Seafood and tri-color tortellini with herb cream sauce served with broccoli and cherry tomato

Beef wonton noodle soup served with side dishes

Bread Selection

Garlic baguette, sesame twist roll, oatmeal roll

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Breakfast

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Korean style porridge served with side dishes

Chive scrambled eggs served with potato wedge, bacon, cherry tomato, spinach and button mushroom

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Croissant, muffin, Danish pastry

Continental Breakfast

Yoghurt selection

Seasonal fresh fruit

Bread selection

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE086-2014/09/01
P086-C(A380)

Celestial Bar

Absolut Flying Champagne Cocktail
Absolut Elyx, Inniskillin Icewine and Champagne.

Absolut White Chocolate Cocktail
Absolut Vanilla, coffee and white chocolate.

Absolut Pineapple Bliss
Absolut Citron, pineapple, lemon and fresh mint.
Served in a Cocktail glass.

Absolut Collins
Absolut Vodka, lemon, sugar and soda.

Absolut Pear Deluxe
Absolut Pears, apple, citrus and Champagne.

Absolut Raspberry Delight
Absolut Citron, raspberries, citrus and soda.
Served in a Lowball glass.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Incheon Seoul to Auckland on Korean Air B747-400 B777-300ER in business (ICN-AKL C)

Another aircraft type change, this time to 77W. This was the last widebody aircraft type operated by Korean that I haven't yet flown.

As usual I boarded late. I had selected a seat in the front business cabin. It wasn't very full but the absence of bins in the middle seats means there are just 6 overhead bins for 14 seats. Nowhere near enough when the cabin is full. Just after doors closed a woman and 4 young kids was moved up from economy - taking over most of a row. The kids were great - quiet and very well behaved. First class had just one passenger.

We left on time. There seemed to be a lot of storms around for the first half of the flight as our flight path showed lots of squiggles, like a little kid trying to draw a straight line without a ruler or straight edge. The squiggles added over 500 miles to our flight path, and about an hour to flight time. Instead of landing quite early, as anticipated at departure, we landed quite late.

I managed to get about 6 hours sleep, having finished my book before getting to sleep. Note to self - I need another book for my next set of flights over the coming few days.

With our late arrival immigration and customs were quiet, but smartgate was down so manual processing. Within 30 minutes of landing I had cleared immigration & customs, checked in for my domestic flights, walked to the domestic terminal, cleared security, and was having a coffee in the domestic lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Korean Air
Business Class menu
Seoul Incheon to Auckland
October 2014

Wine List

Wine

Champagne

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut

White Wines

Australia, Tyrell's Moon Mountain Chardonnay 2011
New Zealand, Clos Henri Sauvignon Blanc 2012

Red Wines

California, Frei Brothers Reserve Merlot 2012
Australia, Haselgrove Catkin Shiraz 2012

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Johnnie Walker Gold

Brandy and Liqueurs

Remy Martin Cognac XO

Dinner

Pre-Drink Service

Plum in pomegranate vinegar

Appetizer

Feta cheese with sliced fig and parma ham

Soup

Lentil cream soup

Main Course

Chicken curry with rice served with side dishes

Grilled beef steak with herb cream sauce served with parmesan potatoes, mushroom and mixed vegetables

Dongporou stytle steamed pork belly served with egg fried rice and Chinese vegetable

Cheese Tray

Comte, chaumes, saint andre

Dessert

Ice cream or black tea cake

Bread Selection

Walnut soft roll, mini baguette, steamed Chinese bao

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

Refreshment

Ramen with Side Dishes

Fresh Cookie

Pizza Margarita

Onigiri

Snack

Breakfast

Yoghurt Selection

Main Course

Korean style beef bone soup served with side dishes

Vegetable sweet potato frittata served with grilled tomato, roasted pork sausage, mushroom and broccoli

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection

Zucchini bread, croissant, cinnamon Danish

Continental Breakfast

Yoghurt selection

Seasonal fresh fruit

Bread selection

Coffee / Tea / Green Tea

KE129-2014/10/17
P129-C
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Trip the Fifth

A couple of quick domestic flights later I was back at Auckland for the second half of flying between US coasts without a stopover, albeit the long way.

I had an inauspicious start with my FFP number failing to be recorded and getting SSSS on one of the boarding passes. But I'm getting ahead of myself for there are several more flights before I'm back in USA.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Sydney on China Airlines A330-300 in business (AKL-SYD CI C)

Check in was quick and I got two boarding passes despite a long connection. I noticed that my FFP number hadn't stuck in the booking (the airline, FFP number and status are normally displayed) so I got that added and reprinted the boarding passes. The reprint didn't fix the SSSS for the second boarding pass.

A nice surprise that the airport carry on police wasn't around - hopefully they have stopped this "service". Smart gate was working today so I was quickly through immigration and security to the lounge. I grabbed a shower and checked some email before leaving for the gate a little early.

Boarding started a little early and thanks to the light load it wasn't long before everyone (except 1 passenger as it turned out) was aboard. It seemed we were going to depart rather early but the last passenger turned up 15 minutes after the 2nd to last passenger had boarded, so we ended up leaving on time.

The business class cabin only had 2 passengers (including me) in a 30 seat cabin. The cabin crew were eager to help in any way they could. All I really wanted was a quick bite and then some sleep.

FA: Would you like a pre-departure drink?
Me: No thanks.
FA: How about some nuts?
FA: Can I get you a newspaper? Which one do you want - NZ, Australian, Taiwanese?
FA goes away while I settle in to my seat, only to return with a packet of nuts.
Me: Thanks but I don't want these.
FA: Have them anyway.

The menu was the same as previous flights (posted here). I was able to give my meal and drinks order without looking at the printed menu, perhaps a sign I've flown this flight too many times lately

Then later I got a pre-dinner drink, along with another packet of nuts which I placed alongside the other packet after my declining the nuts was refused. Normally on this flight the first drink after take-off is served at the same time as the meal. I had taken just one sip and a FA whisked my glass away to top it up.

For the meal they had piled on a few bread rolls, and then came by to offer more.

I slept most of the rest of the flight, managing to get over 2 hours sleep which isn't bad for such a short flight, and probably reflecting how much more tired I was than I had appreciated.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'll post some more later today, but for now I have another flight to catch. I'm especially looking forward to this (an airline I have not flown before, with very good reputation for seat and service, and going to an airport I haven't flown to/from before), so for once I'm headed to the gate to board early instead of late as usual.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Taipei on China Airlines A330-300 in business (SYD-TPE CI C)

I was first to transfer security so avoided the nudeoscope. However it did mean I got the "random" explosives check. As usual, I said to the screener that it isn't random if they always pick the first person through after a spell of no people through security. The screener replied that it was random because she didn't know who would be first. When I explained that the pattern means if I really had something to hide I would just make sure I was second through her face changed like a light bulb went off. Hopefully she'll use her discretion in future to make it less predictable, but it is painful educating the screeners one at a time.

After a short visit to the Qantas business class lounge it was back to the gate. The flight was fuller than the one coming into Sydney, but not very full. Business class only had 14 passengers for 30 seats so I was able to move to another row to get an empty seat beside me. When I first asked I was directed by a crew member to the rear row of the cabin, but another flight attendant said that row was reserved for crew and I was moved to another empty pair of seats.

I was still very tired and so fell asleep during the taxi, not waking up until the noise and lights of breakfast intruded into my dreams. I was still groggy so opted to fein sleep rather than eating half asleep. This was the best I've ever slept on this relatively short 8 hour flight, being 6 hours of sound sleep. As a bonus I fell asleep properly after breakfast service finished and got another hour until woken by the purser shaking me and asking if I wanted a drink.

We landed early just after 4am. This was not ideal as I expected the transfer desk at which I'd need to check in for my onward flights would not be open until 5:30am or so. Oh well. I can walk slowly across to the other part of the terminal where the relevant transfer desk is.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Macau on EVA Air B777-300ER in business (TPE-MFM BR C)

I had a long transit of 19 hours and so a couple of weeks ago I was pondering what to do to fill some of the time. Playing around with various schedules and fares I found one that ticked a few boxes for me.

Connections between tickets sufficiently long to cater for lengthy delays if needed - check.

A comfortable seat (ie not economy and preferably not regional business class seating) - check.

Somewhere I hadn't flown before - check. My previous visit to Macau was by boat from (and back to) Hong Kong airport.

An airline I hadn't flown before - check. While I've flown many Star Alliance airlines, somehow I've missed flying EVA. Perhaps it is because they don't fly to NZ and Taipei is accordingly a bit awkward to get to (on Star Alliance).

Reasonable fare - check.

Yeah this will do nicely. It will also give me a chance to compare the reverse herringbone seating of the two Taiwanese airlines on a similar routing (so service, food & beverages ought to be similar).

First though, I had arrived in D pier and so walked over to C pier where EVA's transfer desk is located. I expected it wouldn't be open until say 5:30am so I was prepared to note the time and then wander back to D to stay in the China Airlines lounge until the transfer desk opened. (I had an onward boarding pass that would allow me into the China Airlines lounge and thus no need to visit their transfer desk which definitely opens at 5:30am based on personal experience, and also from personal experience their lounge opens at 5am. By the time I wandered (slowly) to C and back it would be close to 5am.) At least that was my plan.

But the EVA transfer desk was already open when I arrived. It only took a moment to get two boarding passes, two lounge invite cards and a map giving directions to the Taipei lounges. While I was doing this a bunch of passengers entered transfer security so I had a very short queue there, the first queue I've encountered at Taipei transfer security in something like 13 times through this year.

I walked slowly towards the EVA lounge complexes, because the map indicated the lounges only opened at 5:30am and it was not yet 5am. To my surprise the The Infinity and The Star lounges were both open. The lounge bouncer apologised that food was still in the process of being set out.

EVA has 4 lounges at Taipei - The Infinity lounge and The Star lounge appear to be *G and business class lounges and share a common entrance, with The Infinity to the right of reception and The Star to the left. I don't know why they are given separate names - perhaps the access rules differ? The food, beverages and amenities seemed to be the same. Opposite these two lounges is The Garden. As its name suggests it has foliage and is open to the terminal rather than being fully enclosed. There is another lounge across the atrium called The Club which is also open to the terminal.

I checked some messages and posted a bit of this report. After a while I realised it may have been a good idea to take a shower when the lounge was empty and before it filled up. You need a key from reception and sure enough there was a wait. I was given a pager and it went off about 45 minutes later.

The shower was fantastic. The shower rooms are as good as almost any showers in airport lounges that I've ever encountered, except of course the cabanas in Cathay Pacific's The Wing at Hong Kong first class lounge. There was decent amenities, lots of space. (I hate shower rooms that are so small that you're forced to dry yourself in the shower because otherwise you will drip water all over your clothes and carry on.) A good sized bench to put things on. Great water pressure.

Refreshed I had a coffee and surfed a bit before heading out to the gate early. Yes, I was so looking forward to the flight that I didn't want to board late.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I reached the gate just as boarding commenced so strolled straight onboard.

While the seat is similar to China Airlines 77W business class seat, in that they are both in reverse herringbone, there are a number of differences. On EVA the aisle is narrower, colour scheme is much lighter, tray table has limited adjustment because it swings around from inside the seat and then unfolds (vs pull out in a straight direction on China Airlines and stop it where you want). The table is not good if you are fat like me. Storage space in the seat is slightly more, but still not large and awkwardly placed being near your feet except for a cubby up top in which the headphones sat.

Pre-departure beverages are water, orange juice or bubbles. A menu is handed out and orders taken. Of course no amenity kit on this short flight. Also no Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004, which EVA serves in business class, but only on longhaul flights. (Until recently it had been Dom Perignon.) Dang - perhaps I should have tried harder to make Bangkok work given some of their flights continue on to Europe (and thus the good bubbles will be on board for the short leg too)? Ah now I remember - I did look into it and on the return I would have had about a 90 minute connection to my other ticket, which I wasn't comfortable risking.

The IFE wasn't switched on until several minutes after takeoff, which means there isn't enough time to watch a full movie, even a short one. The IFE selection is much better than China Airlines or Korean Air, but still a long way behind the likes of Singapore Airlines or Emirates.

The meal is served very quickly, which makes sense. Not only is it a short flight at about 90 minutes, but also there are few passengers aboard. The crew seemed to appear like magic every time my glass was empty and refilled it promptly. Even when well into descent.

We flew past Macau, giving me a great view of this unusual airport, before turning back to land. The runway is on a man-made island that consists only of the runway and a seawall, with bridges connecting the runway at each end to the rest of the airport. While the airport didn't seem too busy with just a couple of the airbridges having aircraft parked in front, and a few more aircraft parked at remote stands, we got a remote stand. While I was expecting a few Air Macau aircraft, I was surprised to see 3 EVA Air aircraft (including the one I arrived on).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.