FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
This is a crazy schedule - but kudos. Great report ^
Old May 30, 2014, 6:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Five Continents in 3 Days

It had been a while since my last star alliance around the world, and thanks to currency movements fares had come down a bit from certain origins. Generally I've used my star alliance around the world tickets to visit new countries, but it was time for a change of approach.

I didn't have a lot of time but wanted to visit some new places and experience some new to me airline products.

With some experimentation I found I could visit several continents within the mileage restrictions of the star alliance fare rules. However, with my schedule constraints it would mean flying multiple longhaul flights back to back. Living as far away from Europe as is possible and flying there and back over weekend trips means this doesn't bother me, apart from a nagging doubt about possible missed connections.

Since my routing is rather zig-zagging a misconnect early in the sequence is easily catered for with many options (although being close to Christmas many of the flights are full or nearly so and so I didn't want to test it). A misconnect later in the sequence is more problematic as there were few rerouting options - and these involved many thousands more miles of flying.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Auckland (WLG-AKL) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in space+

I turned up early because you can't check in online or use the kiosks for trips such as this. I knew that the one or two manned desks would have lengthy queues for the flights up to Auckland at this time of day have many passengers connecting to the middle of the day bank of international flights.

Since the previous time I'd needed to check in at Wellington at a manned desk the signage had gotten worse and instead of a premium queue for elite and first and business class passengers, and a separate queue for economy, there is only one queue. It always annoys that there are several airline staff wandering around to check if anyone using the kiosks has any issues or to point people to the baggage drop (despite the big signs) yet there is only one or two people checking in those unfortunates who cannot use the kiosks. I put those thoughts to one side with the prospect of the upcoming flights to enjoy.

Today was a bad day for manual check in. Probably due to being close to Christmas. It took nearly an hour - or about as long as my flight. Rather than attempting and failing to get the first and subsequent flights credited to different frequent flyer programs (first leg to NZ Airpoints because earning on other programmes on an Air NZ flight is pathetic and subsequent legs on another program for which I was in the process of earning lifetime star gold status), I made things easy for the check in agent by requesting check in only to Auckland. It takes more effort for me, by forcing a check in at Auckland when I could have gone straight to the lounge, but in saved grief from mileage crediting to the wrong program it is worth it to me. It is a shame you can't use the kiosk and check in just for the first leg.

Finally I made it to the tranquility of the lounge. Or rather the slightly less noisy and less chaotic than the terminal lounge.

With the slower than usual check in queue I only had time for a quick drink and check of my emails before boarding was called. The usual queue at gate security as all the lounge-eligible passengers make their way to the gate at the same time. On some flights it seems as if there are more passengers in the lounge than not.

No empty seat adjacent this time - not unusual in general, and especially at this time of year. I can usually tell if the person in the middle seat is a regular/elite flyer or not. The person who only flies once a year or so is surprised at the legroom in space+ compared to the seats they have flown in before. When space+ was introduced it was reserved for elite and full fare passengers, but subsequently with higher loads and now selling seat selection, the seats are open to all and an empty middle seat is more likely near the back of the aircraft than in the front.

Anyway, the flight itself was typical. I dozed. Water, tea or coffee was served. No lolly on descent - this has been hit and miss for a while. We landed on time and got a stand near the Jetstar end of the domestic terminal. I took the Jetstar exit as it is much shorter route to international terminal than traipsing to the Air NZ exit and doubling back. Very few people seem to realise you can do this. I don't know why - the exit is clearly signposted. It was a nice enough day for me to walk across to international terminal, which is my strong preference.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 5:55 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) on Singapore 777-300ER in business class

At the international terminal I was soon checked in to the next couple of flights. I double checked the boarding passes were showing the correct XX*G and PPS status to identify the correct mileage earning frequent flyer program (not NZ Airpoints and not SQ Krisflyer). You can't easily tell this from NZ-printed boarding passes and difficult to fix because Air NZ uses FQTV (frequent flyer program to credit mileage) and FQTS (frequent flyer program for status benefits) fields differently to Singapore Airlines. Generally this works well as the contract staff have been well trained over the years (there were some issues years ago when Singapore switched from their own check in staff to contract), but rarely you get a new staff member who is less familiar with the correct keystrokes.

Being a premium passenger on the daytime SQ flight I can use the pre-clearance immigration at the end of the check in hall nearest to domestic terminal. The redeye SQ flight does not provide this service. There is invariably no queue here and the Auckland airport staff who weigh carry on bags before immigration seem to leave pre-cleared passengers alone. So while the immigration process is not much quicker than the smartgate which I can also use, it is worthwhile. It also leads to shorter queues at security beyond immigration, unless you get stuck behind flight crews or airport shop staff. I avoided the "random" pat down and explosives swab and made my way to the lounge.

At this time of day the lounge is moderately full - full enough that there isn't much privacy but not so full that you can't easily find a seat to sit at or have to wait for a computer or shower room to become free. It is much fuller in the evenings and also first thing in the morning. Anyway I filled the time with some drinks, some FT and a quick freshen up before the flight. Ahead of boarding I left early to stretch my legs by walking the length of the main pier a couple of times before heading to gate 16 at the end of the "new" pier where boarding was now underway.

I had snagged my favourite seat - the bulkhead window seat in the forward mini cabin. This has more space since there is no seat in front (and the seat design normally tucks into the seat in front), meaning more leg room and screen is further away and at a better distance. The mini cabin (2 rows of 4) tends to be quiet - rarely is there much noise coming from first class ahead of the curtain and SQ cabin crew are always quiet in the galley behind the mini cabin.

Once again I had timed my flying to get the special SQ christmas menu. I've managed this a few years. As well as a special cover image there is a christmas-related main and dessert option for the main meal of the flight.

Otherwise the flight was typical SQ. I've flown several hundred thousand miles in SQ business class (and some more in first class) and I still enjoy every flight as much as my first. I'm not so enamoured as to suggest it is perfect, but it is very good and is very familiar to me - like a second home or the "local". On this route between Auckland and Singapore alone I've flown half a million miles on SQ!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 6:17 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 6:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
Auckland to Singapore
Christmas 2012

Lunch Menu

Prelude

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Starter

Waldorf salad
Apple and celery salad with marinated prawns

Main

Braised beef cheek with daikon in superior sauce, selected vegetables and steamed rice

Roast Tom turkey with chestnut stuffing and giblet gravy, festive vegetables and kumara
For the spirit of Merry Christmas

Char siew pork belly with vegetables and fried noodles

Gaeng Masaman Pla Salmon
Salmon in Thai masaman curry with spicy vegetables and steamed rice

Finale

Yuletide log cake served with brandy sauce for the festive season

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

A selection of fresh fruit

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas, with pralines

Light Bites Menu

Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial in between your means, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight.

Noodles

Vegetarian and non vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Focaccia with roast beef and char-grilled vegetables

Focaccia with cheese, carrots and pineapple

Snacks

Assorted nuts

Muesli bar

Cookies

A selection from the fruit basket

Light Meal Menu

Starter

Chicken and pomelo salad

Main

Stewed duck with ginseng, stir fried fine beans with hon shiimeji in xo sauce, mushroom rice

Chargrilled cod fillet with tomato tarragon sauce, buttered vegetables and fettuccine pasta

Thai style green curry beef served with chilli-eggplant and steamed rice

Finale

Chocolate brownie with coffee sauce

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

SQ286QA AKL-SIN (L/SN1/LM) 95-1.1 10-11 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

Champagne Henriot Brut Souverain
Brut Souverain is an elegant blend with a balanced proportion of Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs and Pinot Noir from the Montagne de Reims, with a percentage of Pinot Meunier adding light notes of fruitiness and spice. Brilliant light straw gold, persistent and regular bubbles; precise, expressive and refreshing nose of citrus and yellow fruits, floral fragrances and pastry aromas (brioche, toast) follow; fresh and balanced on the palate, with a fullish texture and refreshingly dry finish.

White Wine

2011 Devil's Lair The Hidden Cave Chardonnay, Margaret River, Australia
Margaret River in Western Australia is home to some of Australia's best Chardonnay. The vineyards are close to the ocean and the cool sea breeze has a beneficial effect, modifying temperature during ripening. This wine is made by talented winemaker Oliver Crawford and is an excellent example of the new breed of Aussie Chardonnay exciting wine drinkers around the world.

2011 Nautilus Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
New Zealand's Marlborough region is home to many of the world's most distinctive Sauvignon Blanc wines. This racy and vibrant style has a strong international reputation, and is typified by a lifted herbaceous leafy aroma and crisp mouthwatering acidity and wonderful freshness. Nautilus, made by winemaker Clive Jones, consistently ranks among the region's best.

Red Wine

2008 Chateau La Garde, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France
From a fine 50-hectare estate on the famous gravelly soils of Pessac-Leognan where the rich fruit of the Merlot grape dominates the firmer backbone of Cabernet Sauvignon, with a touch of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot to add aroma and grip, the hand-harvested, oak-aged La Garde's deep ruby colour leads to aromas of blackberry and blueberry and an impressive freshness and depth of fruit on the palate. The 2008 vintage shows all the elegance for which the red wines of Bordeaux are famous.

or

2008 Chateau Preuillac Cru Bourgeois Medoc, Bordeaux, France
Established in 1869 on sandy-gravelly soil to the north of Bordeaux's famous Medoc region, Chateau Preuillac produces classically elegant wines from a blend of Merlot and Cabernet grapes. 2008 was a good vintage which is now showing very well indeed. This wine won a Gold Medal at the Concours Generale de Bruxelles in 2009.

2010 St Hallet Faith Shiraz, Barossa, Australia
The Barossa Valley in South Australia is synonymous with Shiraz, and is internationally famous for full-flavoured reds with distinctive spicy mocca characters and soft ripe tannins. St Hallett and their winemaker Stuart Blackwell have played a major role in the promotion and appreciation of the region's "old vine" Shiraz vineyards. Faith is a draw from a number of vineyards across the region and is an excellent exampkle of the Barossa style.

Port

2006 Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port, Douro, Portugal
Dow's, established in 1798, is one of the oldest Port Houses. It owns two superb estates in the Upper Douro - Quintas Senhora da Ribiera and Bomfin - which form the basis for this splendid vintage 2006, bottled unfiltered to preserve all the fruit in late 2011, after maturing for five years in the large oak casks known as "Pipes". Deep crimson in colour, with a nose of black berry fruits and spices, full and plummy with very long-lasting rich flavours on the palate, a perfect end to a meal.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Tropical Sparkle
A refreshing-yet-fruity blend of lime cordial and 7-Up, with orange and tomato juice.

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritzer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Sweetness in Darkness
A unique mix of red wine and a splash of Coke

Screwdriver
A classic concoction of vodka and orange juice

Vodka Flush
A tantalizing drink of vodka, apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-Up

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice, Sling mix with ginger ale

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Apple Bliss

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Orange Cooler

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Fine Champagne

Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey

Highland Park 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

For a more invigorating aroma and richer-flavoured coffee, choose from some of the world's finest coffee beans to go into your specialty coffee.

Brazil Santos Bourbon
A smooth, nutty coffee with a balanced body and clean aftertaste

Colombian Supremo
A good all-rounded coffee with light body and a smooth, clean aftertaste

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”
A medium-bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee

Cappuccino
Espresso topped with foamed milk

Mocha
A combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Caf Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling
An exquisite black tea that develops remarkable overtones of ripe apricots

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon
An Orange Pekoe black tea renowned for its light and generous complexity

Chamomile
Soft and soothing chamomile flowers yielding a golden, caffeine-free cup

Decaffeinated Earl Grey
A caffeine-free black tea alternative infused with TWG Tea bergamot

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea
A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits

In-House Tea Selection

Herbal Infusions

Peppermint
A highly fragrant and distinctively refreshing herbal brew with a natural, caffeine-free taste

Lemon Ginger Tea
The spiciness of the ginger complements the zesty tang of the lemon, creating a caffeine-free infusion which is both comforting and uplifting

Asian Teas*

Sencha
Japanese Green tea with a delicate aroma and a fresh, clean taste

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatice green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

Pu-Erh
A strong tea exuding an earthy fragrance

* Available hot or with ice

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old May 30, 2014, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore to Incheon Seoul (SIN-ICN) on Singapore Airlines A330-300 in business class

Our arrival gate was in T2 indicating the aircraft was next bound for India (perhaps DEL?). Rather than take the train directly to T3 I opted to walk the long way via T1 to stretch my legs. While it is a long distance it doesn't take me long as I walk fairly quickly and before long I was back at T3 SQ lounge and welcomed into the first section. Sometimes the lounge entrance staff recognise me and I do not have to show my boarding pass, while other times I do. A few years earlier when I was flying SQ more it was very rare for the boarding pass to leave my pocket as nearly all the lounge staff recognised me. Indeed I'd often have my usual drink waiting for me at the bar when I returned from dropping my bags at my seat (passing the bar en route). Those days are gone, as is the Dom that used to be available in the lounge.

Anyway, my elite status gives me access to the first class lounge, which at SIN is really an elite lounge + other airline first class because real first class passengers can use The Private Room - the lounge within the lounge. Consequently, the first class lounge is slightly nicer (and much quieter) than the business class lounge, but not as nice as you'd expect for a classy airline at its hub airport. Still it generally fits the bill - somewhere nice to seat in between flights. Good food and drink if you need it, although I skip the food for transfers of only a few to several hours. An okay shower to freshen up - or in my case to stay awake for the next flight which is a redeye (plus 5 hours later than my home timezone).

Our gate is at the end of A pier. A moderate walk from the lounge (signs recommend taking the train but I never bother), albeit less distance than the far B gates which are often used for the flights between Singapore and Christchurch or the daytime flight to Auckland. I time it late as usual to avoid long queue at security and minimise time spent waiting in the gate lounge which at SIN tends to be crowded.

Somewhat surprisingly, this is to be my first flight on A330 on Singapore Airlines. To date I'd managed to avoid the aircraft and generally keep to the preferred longhaul business class seating on 77W and A380, rather than the regional business class seating on the A330. However, for regional seating it is quite good and a big improvement on the older 772 and 773 regional seating.

I noticed the menu had changed significantly since the last time I'd flown this route. While the choice of meal straight after take-off or before landing remained, the menu items were more aligned to breakfast than a supper service. In the past on this route I've usually taken the meal after take off. My reasoning is most other passengers choose before landing meal and so the supper service is much quicker, and allows a longer sleep. With more passengers opting for breakfast they start serving a couple of hours before arrival. If not chatting with a fellow passenger of supping bubbles in first, I'm asleep in little over an hour and get an hour more sleep on this fairly short flight.

However, this time I'm too tired. Perhaps I drank too much in the previous flight or perhaps it is just a reflection of how much I needed this trip to recover from a very busy year. So I slept from before pushback and only awoke when we touched down. Can't get better than this.

At Seoul, SQ has now moved to the satellite terminal and so there is a short train ride to the main terminal to the transfer desk for my next boarding passes.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
Singapore to Seoul
December 2012

Sleeper Service Menu

For a longer stretch of undisturbed rest, we are pleased to offer you meal service options specially timed to suit your preferences. Whether you would like your meal to be served soon after take-off, or two hours before arrival, simply inform our crew and leave the rest to our care.

Main

Warm multi grain bread with beef pastrami, cheddar cheese and potato-bacon salad

Selection of dim sum
Radish cake, prawn siew mai, fried chicken chives dumpling and scallop dumpling

Singapore style prawn noodle soup
A richly flavoured local dish of yellow noodles in prawn and pork stock served with prawns and bean sprouts

American Breakfast
Yoghurt
Baked vegetable frittata, chicken sausage, roma tomato and button mushrooms
Bread selection with preserves

Continental Breakfast
Assorted bread with preserves

Your meal will be served with a selection of sliced fresh fruits

Finale

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

SQ608A SIN-ICN (CM1) 58-1.1 10-11 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

Champagne Henriot Brut Souverain
Brut Souverain is an elegant blend with a balanced proportion of Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs and Pinot Noir from the Montagne de Reims, with a percentage of Pinot Meunier adding light notes of fruitiness and spice. Brilliant light straw gold, persistent and regular bubbles; precise, expressive and refreshing nose of citrus and yellow fruits, floral fragrances and pastry aromas (brioche, toast) follow; fresh and balanced on the palate, with a fullish texture and refreshingly dry finish.

White Wine

2010 Joseph Drouhin Saint-Veran, Maconnais, Burgundy, France
After Pouilly-Fuisse, Saint-Veran is the best appellation from the Maconnais, the beautiful part of southern Burgundy with hillsides covered in the Chardonnay vine that has been planted in the region for hundreds of years. Lemon-yellow in colour, with an aroma of fresh apples and a touch of dry honey, supple and rounded on the palate with a refreshing lift of acidity on the finish. 2010 was a renowned year in Burgundy.

2010 Weinhaus Ress Rheingau Riesling, Germany
Weinhaus Ress of the famous Balthasar Ress estate has produced this wine to the expectations of international connoisseurs, balancing fresh flavours, low acidity, and making it a light style Riesling. Although 2010 was a very low yield vintage, the great care taken transporting the hand-harvested grapes directly into the wine press, enabled the wine producers to arrive at an exquisite wine displaying green apple aromas, lively fruit, racy acidity and a touch of distinct minerality. A great wine to be enjoyed with white meats and spicy Asian food.

Red Wine

2008 Chateau La Garde, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France
From a fine 50-hectare estate on the famous gravelly soils of Pessac-Leognan where the rich fruit of the Merlot grape dominates the firmer backbone of Cabernet Sauvignon, with a touch of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot to add aroma and grip, the hand-harvested, oak-aged La Garde's deep ruby colour leads to aromas of blackberry and blueberry and an impressive freshness and depth of fruit on the palate. The 2008 vintage shows all the elegance for which the red wines of Bordeaux are famous.

or

2008 Chateau Preuillac Cru Bourgeois Medoc, Bordeaux, France
Established in 1869 on sandy-gravelly soil to the north of Bordeaux's famous Medoc region, Chateau Preuillac produces classically elegant wines from a blend of Merlot and Cabernet grapes. 2008 was a good vintage which is now showing very well indeed. This wine won a Gold Medal at the Concours Generale de Bruxelles in 2009.

2009 Marchesi de Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni, Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy
This ancient 150-hectare estate in the Colli Fiorentini south-west of Florence, that has been in the Marchesi di Frescobaldi family for 900 years, is planted principally with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc grapes from Bordeaux, with just 10% of the local Sangiovese, famous for the historic wines of Chianti. 2009 was an excellent year in Tuscany, producing deeply-coloured wines with a fine intensity of red and black berry fruits on the nose, a mouth-filling smoothness of flavour and a long finish.

Port

2006 Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port, Douro, Portugal
Dow's, established in 1798, is one of the oldest Port Houses. It owns two superb estates in the Upper Douro - Quintas Senhora da Ribiera and Bomfin - which form the basis for this splendid vintage 2006, bottled unfiltered to preserve all the fruit in late 2011, after maturing for five years in the large oak casks known as "Pipes". Deep crimson in colour, with a nose of black berry fruits and spices, full and plummy with very long-lasting rich flavours on the palate, a perfect end to a meal.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Tropical Sparkle
A refreshing-yet-fruity blend of lime cordial and 7-Up, with orange and tomato juice.

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritzer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Sweetness in Darkness
A unique mix of red wine and a splash of Coke

Screwdriver
A classic concoction of vodka and orange juice

Vodka Flush
A tantalizing drink of vodka, apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-Up

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice, Sling mix with ginger ale

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Apple Bliss

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Orange Cooler

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Fine Champagne

Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey

Highland Park 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

For a more invigorating aroma and richer-flavoured coffee, choose from some of the world's finest coffee beans to go into your specialty coffee.

Brazil Santos Bourbon
A smooth, nutty coffee with a balanced body and clean aftertaste

Colombian Supremo
A good all-rounded coffee with light body and a smooth, clean aftertaste

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”
A medium-bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee

Cappuccino
Espresso topped with foamed milk

Mocha
A combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Caf Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling
An exquisite black tea that develops remarkable overtones of ripe apricots

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon
An Orange Pekoe black tea renowned for its light and generous complexity

Chamomile
Soft and soothing chamomile flowers yielding a golden, caffeine-free cup

Decaffeinated Earl Grey
A caffeine-free black tea alternative infused with TWG Tea bergamot

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea
A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits

In-House Tea Selection

Herbal Infusions

Peppermint
A highly fragrant and distinctively refreshing herbal brew with a natural, caffeine-free taste

Lemon Ginger Tea
The spiciness of the ginger complements the zesty tang of the lemon, creating a caffeine-free infusion which is both comforting and uplifting

Asian Teas*

Sencha
Japanese Green tea with a delicate aroma and a fresh, clean taste

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatice green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

Pu-Erh
A strong tea exuding an earthy fragrance

* Available hot or with ice

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old May 30, 2014, 7:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seoul Incheon to Frankfurt (ICN-FRA) on Asiana Airlines 747-400combi in business class

At the transfer desk I collected two more boarding passes. I was hoping for more as the time between second and third flights is fairly short but the third flight was not yet open for remote check in. I enquired about the chances of my upgrade request clearing - looking good as the flight is oversold in both economy and business and I have high status on Asiana, but no guarantees and it hadn't yet cleared. It didn't clear later either which meant the 50% off upgrade voucher expired without being able to be used At least I'm still flying in business class.

I've flown Asiana's 747 combi several times, but always in a first class seat - either because I'm flying in first class or because only 2-class service is offered and I'm flying in business class with a first class seat. So for the second flight in a row I had a new seat to try out.

But first I had several hours to fill. I again had first class lounge access thanks to my status (this time OZ whereas in SIN it was SQ). I freshened up in the shower and did some emergency repairs using a hotel sewing kit I had stashed in my carry on. Only then did I relax, grab a late breakfast and some drinks.

Eventually it was time to board and go upstairs to my seat. The seat didn't blow me away, but then I did not have high expectations either. It is flat on a slope, and fairly average for a longhaul seat in the late 2000s. Nowadays it is well behind the norm, but also not the worst option (for instance Air NZ 767 business seat is far worse).

It seemed wierd to be flying from Asia to Europe in the middle of the day. My previous flights between the two continents (in this direction) have mostly been late night departures or early morning. Thanks to my better than usual sleep on the flight into Seoul I was not very tired and didn't nap at all. Instead I watched some movies (IFE was also average at best), read some papers I'd brought with me and filled the time tasting as much of the drinks list as possible.

Due to weather at Frankfurt we looped around the German countryside a bit and were late in landing.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Asiana Airlines
Business Class menu
Seoul to Frankfurt
December 2012

Lunch Menu

Western

Canape

Tomato Olive Tortellini with Crispy Bacon

Appetizer

Marinated King Crab Salad with Baby Leaves and Asparagus

Soup

Sweet Pumpkin Veloute with Ginger Compote and Basil Pesto Sauce

Main Courses

Porcini Crusted N.Y Strip with Pepper Sauce, Mushroom and Sun-dried Tomato | 511 kcal

or

Baked Crumbled Cod with Asparagus, Wilted Carrot, Tarragon Sauce | 432 kcal

or

Rubbed Spice Lamb Loin with Chick Peas, Olive Stew | 519 kcal

Cheese

Castello Blue, Saint Andre, Camembert

Dessert

Gateau Chocolate with Cherry Coulis and Vanilla Chantily

Coffee and Tea

Petit Fours

Korean

Starter

Tomato Olive Tortellini with Crispy Bacon

Eggplant Roll with Soybean Paste Sauce

Purple Sweet Potato Porridge

Main Course

Nutritious Korean Cuisine Ssambap | 597 kcal
Steamed Rice Topped with Grilled Bulgogi Beef and *Bean Paste.
Wrapped with Various Kinds of Leafy Vegetables.
*Bean Paste : Contains various nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pine nuts, etc). Those with allergies should be careful.

Dessert

Fresh Fruit

Coffee and Tea

Caramelized Honey and Jujube Dae Chu Cho

How to enjoy Ssambap
1. Place a leaf of lettuce or other leafy vegetable in the palm of your hand.
2. Add steamed rice, bulgogi beef and bean paste.
3. Roll up and eat.
4. Enjoy the Ssambap with the bean paste soup and various side dishes.

Refreshments

Besides the main courses, the light snacks described below are provided upon your request throughout the flight.

Sandwich, Fresh Fruit, Ramen, Warm Noodles, Korean Laver Rice Roll, Chips

Snack Menu

Appetizer

Grain Salad with Dried Fruit, Almond Vinaigrette

Main Course

Sous-vide Chicken with Roasted Pumpkin Wedge, Beef Jus | 389 kcal

or

Coriander Crusted Halibut, Braised Scallions, Turnip Puree, Wilted Spinach with Brown Sauce | 383 kcal

or

Korean Porridge Kimchi Nakji Juk
Rice Porridge with Kimchi and Octopus | 354 kcal

Dessert

Chestnut Loaf with Caramel Rum Sauce

Coffee and Tea

OZ541
SEL/FRA
B/C
2012C3 - 20121101

Wine List

Asiana Bar

Aperitifs

Campari
Medium Dry Sherry Sandeman

Spirits

Scotch Whisky Chivas Regal 18 years
Scotch Whisky Ballantine's 17 years
Bourbon Whiskey Jack Daniel
Vodka Smirnoff
Gin Beefeater's

Cognac & Liqueurs

Camus XO
Baileys Irish Cream
Drambuie
Cointreau

Beers

OB, Cass, Hite, Max
Heineken, Beck's, Budwiser

Korean Rice Wine Makgeolli

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Orange, Apple, Tomato Juice
Pineapple, Guava Juice
Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale

Cocktails

Whisky Sour
A refreshing cocktail made with Bourbon Whisky, lemon juice, and sugar served with a lemon slice and cherry on top.

Manhattan
A cocktail reflecting Manhattan's nightscape with Bourbon Whisky, Sweet Vermouth and a cherry garnish.

Bloody Mary
A classic blend of Vodka, tomato juice with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco Sauce.

Buck's Fizz
Otherwise Known as Mimosa. A drink composed of sparkling wine (champagne) and chilled orange juice garned with a slice of orange and cherry.

Screw Driver
A popular cocktail made with fresh orange juice and Vodka.

Champagne & White Wines

De Venoge Champagne Blanc de Blancs 2004
"Worth more than the wine made in the legendary Champagne house"
This Legendary Champagne house was founded in 1837 by Henri-Marie De Venoge and since then, many great wines have been produced in the deep cellars in Epernay of Northern France. 2004 was a superlative vintage in Champagne and this is a precise, brilliant and very expressive Champagne made solely from Chardonnay grapes from the well selected vineyards in the Cotes de Blancs and Sezanne districts. It manages to combine a youthful freshness and round, creamy structure on the palate, elegantly built with fine aromatics and a long pleasing finish.

Rully 2010
"Perfect harmony of richness and freshness"
Founded in 1720, Champy is Bourgogne's oldest winery and a family firm producing good-quality wines. Among them, Rully is one of the stylish and elegant Chardonnay wines in the Bourgogne region, France, offering perfect harmony and balanced taste by presentin freshness as well as soft, deep taste such as some spice and vanilla flavor through the aging of rich juice.

Villa Huesgen Riesling Kabinett 2010
"Riesling wine is the essence of German white wine"
This is a great sample of Riesling coming from the steep slope of the Mosel Region in Germany. Villa Huesgen, a winery run by 9 generations with long tradition dating back to 1735, has excellently made wines from Riesling, a grape variety that is perfect in itself. This vintage boasts of purity, ripeness, and freshness. It is very aromatic and delicate, expertly combining intense fruitiness and great flavor that lingers despite a low alcohol level.

Red Wines

Chateau Boutisse 2006
"The highest-quality wine that Saint-Emilion boasts of"
Saint-Emilion is one of the world's most historical and fabled wine regions. Today it is the source of some of the world's greatest wines. Chateau Boutisse has been producing remarkably good wines over the last 10 years and the 2006 is no exception. The wine is predominantly Merlot complemented by Cabernet Sauvignon. It's a modern styled wine with a great deal of concentration as the results of low yields, a rigorous sorting of the grapes and a careful aging in new French oak barrles. The wine is offering a very elegant nose with gently roasted notes spices and dark fruity character. It's full bodied and supple with round tannins and plenty of fruit, the limestone soil gives the wine plenty of finesse and freshness.

Emiliana Coyam 2009
"Wine close to perfection, containing nature"
A typical organic wine in Chile, Emiliana expresses the essence of the most excellent terrior in Chile as it is. Its base is Syrah complemented with Carmenere, Cabernet Sauvignon. Intensely red violet in color. The nose expresses a harmony of ripe dark fruit, berries, blackcurrant and forest fruits that delicately intermingle with the oak to deliver soft mineral notes, toffee and chocolate. The palate offers a pleasing balance of volume and balance, very good body, smooth, well-rounded tannins, and long finish, showing its character and personality.

Artesa Pinot Noir 2009
"Pinot Noir selected by US Consumer Reports to be of the highest value"
The cool weather of Cameros, the area connecting Sonoma County of Napa Valley, makes the best Pinot Noir wines. In particular, Pinot Noir of Artesa, an artistic winery, is more aromatic and elegant, offering various attractions. The aromas of cherry, spice, and smoky oak are in balanced harmony, and this wine with its gentle and delicate structure offers a rich finish like the breath of lovers.

Dessert Wines

Port Sandeman 20 Years Old Tawny Porto
"Pride and Joy of Portugal Wines - Port Sandeman"
Sandeman House has been operating a seven-generation family business for 200 years. Maintaining high quality, it is a leading winery that has enhanced the reputation of Portuguese Port wines. With the combination of rich and elegant flavors of dried apricot, honey, nuts, spices, and vanilla, it is a fitting end to meals. It is a tempting, classy dessert wine whose texture you just can't forget once you've had a taste.

Sawmill Creek Vidal Ice Wine 2008
"A Rare Wine Presented by Nature"
The Ice wine was harvested from selected Vidal grapes, picked at temperatures below -8C. The frozen grapes were pressed to extract the highly concentrated,naturally sweet, essence of the fruit. The Ice wine has intense aromas of apricots and peaches. The naturally sweet Ice wine is perfectly balanced by the crisp, clean acidity. Silky smooth on the palate, luscious tones of honey fruit and almonds close into a long, lingering finish.

Coffee and Tea

RA (Rainforest Alliance Certified) Coffee
This RA Coffee guarantees that coffee beans are produced using eco-friendly methods. Rainforest Alliance is a nonprofit organization that conserving rainforest and environment of the earth.

Decaffeinated Coffee

Earl Grey
Earl Grey is a black tea blend, which gets its flavor from bergamot oil.

Camomile
Camomile is one of the best-researched herbs. These organicaly grown camomile flowers produce the most delightful tea, which can be relaxing, carminative and anti-inflammatory.

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea is a traditional semi-fermented tea with a fragrance of apple and pear.

Ginseng Tea
Ginseng Tea is good for immune system strength and helpful for fatigue.

Green Tea
Green Tea Our exclusively selected Green Tea which gives you the feeling of natural touch.

Jasmine
Jasmine acts like aroma therapy.

BC ICN - L
Old May 30, 2014, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

For those keeping track, I've now arrived at my second continent one calendar day (plus 2 longhaul flights and a midhaul flight) after leaving New Zealand.

map
Old May 30, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Frankfurt to Johannesburg (FRA-JNB) on South African Airways A340-600 in business class

I would have like to fly this leg on Lufthansa for a chance to use a couple of upgrade vouchers that otherwise expired unused, but the airline schedules and my limited time precluded that. So instead I was booked on the earlier SA flight and got to fly a new airline.

First though I had security at FRA - never a fun experience unless you like standing around being yelled at and then the obligatory grope. It's the closest security I've encountered in all my travels to the TSA security experience at some (most?) airports in USA, and that is not a good thing. Then a short walk to the new B nonschengen Senator lounge. I've spent many hours in the old one but this was my first visit to the new improved lounge. Decor is vastly better and it was less crowded than the old lounge. Food and beverages didn't seem much different and still no computer terminals. However shower rooms were improved and no queue to use it. Yay.

We boarded on time and I had some pre-departure bubbles. Amenity kit was handed out, but no menu due to "shortage". On some other flights when I've been given that explanation for lack of menus it has actually been due to catering not matching the printed menus. I have no idea if it was the case here, but sitting near the back of the cabin I was only offered one choice of main. It didn't sound appetising so I said I'd skip the main. I ended up with a second starter and extra frequent refills of a nice South African wine.

Having been flying all day and travelling westbound to make it a long day, I was quite tired and went to sleep shortly after dinner, awaking to the aromas of breakfast. I'd missed the cabin run for meal orders but one of the crew noticed I had awoken and took my order.

As I was sitting in the middle pair of seats I missed out on the nice views of the early morning sun. There is something about Africa (and outback Australia too for that matter) that I could watch for hours on end. Unfortunately I don't get much opportunity (well for Africa) - not visiting enough and the longhaul flights often are night time. Perhaps I will have better luck on my next flight, leaving in a couple of hours' time?

We landed early but got a gate a long way from immigration and on the opposite side of the terminal from transfer security. First I had to get my eticket checked at a transfer check point. I don't know why they have this before transfer desk and in addition to transfer security. There are more opportunities for non-international transfer passengers to be turned back but this extra check adds 20 minutes (this time - no idea if that is normal) for very little value. Next I stop off at the transfer desk and collect onward boarding passes - 3 this time.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 10:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Johannesburg to Sao Paulo (JNB-GRU) on South African Airways A330-200 in business class

Transfer security was fairly quick despite a queue and once back airside I made my way to the lounge. I hadn't expected I would have enough time for a lounge visit due to the short transfer time and need to check in for the onward flights. I made the most of it to grab a shower, as the lounges at the next airport which I'd have access to didn't have showers according to my research. By the time I'd freshened up the flight was boarding and I had a moderate walk back to the far end of the terminal. At the gate entrance there was a visa check - I showed my onward itinerary to save time flicking through the passport for a visa that wasn't there.

This time the business cabin was almost empty - just a family travelling, the young kids giggling as they quickly moved to seats further away from mum and dad, and me. Great - I can grab a window seat to watch the view and still have a spare seat alongside. The not so great - service started off wonderfully attentive but mid-flight petered out while the cabin crew put gossip ahead of refilling glasses. Still, it was a very enjoyable flight in a comfy seat with good food & wine. My pattern of sleeping every second flight continued.

We landed quite early for no obvious reason. Presumably the schedule is padded to allow for the aircraft not being ready in time after arriving at Johannesburg from somewhere else early in the morning. Of course as we taxiied to the terminal I observed the many different North American and European airlines with aircraft parked up, having arrived earlier in the day and not returning until evening.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 10:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

South African Airways
Business Class menu
Johannesburg to Sao Paulo
December 2012

Lunch Menu

Appetizer

A choice of two appetizers to be enjoyed as a light meal or as a starter.

Tangy chicken salad
With mustard dressing, micro greens and Spanish cocktail tomato

or

Soup of the day

Seasonal salad
Offered with a choice of Classic Italian vinaigrette and Creamy yoghurt & herb dressing

Main Course

Pan fried beef fillet
Served with grilled mealie pap & corn cake, braised spinach with crushed nuts and butternut

Grilled chicken supreme
Accompanied by sauteed wild mushrooms, blanched butternut & broccoli florets and creamy sauce

Grilled kingklip
Served with a warm salad of baby potatoes, green beans, cherry tomatoes and olives with a sour cream and dill sauce

Vegetable biryani

Dessert

Orange moist cake
or
Coffee cream mousse

Cheese Plate

A selection of fine South African cheese and crackers, served with South African Port wine.

Chevin, blue tower and forest hill cheese

Bread Basket

Filled with an assortment of warm fresh breads served with butter

Refreshment

Enjoy a range of snacks at any time throughout your flight

Light Meal menu

Appetizer

Enjoy as either a starter or a light meal.

Avocado and goat cheese parfait
With sundried tomato dressing, parmesan wafer and micro

Main Course

Beef canneloni
Served with grilled mixed vegetables and parmesan white sauce

Tagliatelle with vegetable stir-fry
Accompanied by baby marrow with tomato gratin

Dessert

Seasonal chunky fruit salad

Bread Basket

Filled with an assortment of warm fresh breads served with butter

SA 7106 P GRU/EZE-OUT

Wines

Champagne

Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial
Spoil yourself with a legendary bubbly from one of France's most famous champagne houses, founded in 1743. Luxuriate in the fine bubbles, rich lime aromas, yeasty brioche and lively citrus flavours of this classic champagne with a delectably dry finish. This elegant blend of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier - the three great grapes used to make champagne - makes ideal aperitif or can be enjoyed with salmon.

Whites

Plaiser de Merle Chardonnay 2010
Set on the slopes of the Simonsberg with spectacular views of the Drakenstein Valley, this landmark Cape cellar was founded by French Huguenot settlers in 1693. Made from a signature white variety, this barrel-fermented wine with a vibrant fresh fruit character and high natural acidity tempts with tropical lime flavours and toasted nuances of vanilla, almonds and honey.

Cederberg Private Cellar Chenin Blanc 2011
A "wine with altitude" made from one of the highest vineyards in the Cape on a fifth-generation family farm in a remote mountain conservancy. The cool-climate terrior shows in an unwooded white wine which expresses the purity of fruit with layers of winter melon, grapefruit, green apples and fleshy white pear, a tangy mouthfeel and a lingering, crisp finish.

Reds

Joubert-Tradauw Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
This rustic family wine farm is a landmark for tourists on the Cape's famous route 62 through the Little Karoo. Matured in oak barrels for 24 months, this handcrafted wine is made in boutique volumes with minimal intervention in a natural, unfiltered style to express the pure varietal fruit and lively black berry, eucalyptus, mint and cinnamon flavours.

Boland Cellar Five Climates Pinotage 2009
This large cellar on the Paarl wine route makes contemporary wines in the new-world style with upfront aromas, juicy fruit and soft tannins. This multi-regional blend of fruit sourced from five micro-climates has succulent raspberry pastille, bright red berry and banana flavours in a lightly oaked wine which expresses the delightful red berry fruit of a unique Cape variety.

Port

Boplaas Cape Tawny Non-vintage
One of South Africa's most famous port wines - crowned "port of the year" for the fifth consecutive year at the annual SAA 2010 Wine Awards. Enjoy this sublime blend of classic port varieties - Tinta Barocca, Touriga Nacional and Souzao - made on the Nel's family farm in Calitzdorp, "port capital of the Cape". Aged for 12 years in old Portuguese barrels, this elixir has a beguiling amber colour and nutty, dried fruit, orange peel and fruit cake flavours. Enjoy with cheese or as a digestif after your meal.

DECEMBER 2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.