Reload this Page >

A few flights to end 2011

A few flights to end 2011

Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
SINGAPORE to AUCKLAND (SIN-AKL) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in business

By the time I reached the gate boarding was nearly completed. Quickly through security and boarding pass plus passport check. Another full flight - not surprising given the time of year. The airbridge wasn't the usual SIN ice cold.

I was soon in my seat, reading and supping a pre-departure drink.

After take off I watched a movie and enjoyed supper. No satay. Unfortunately this trip I'd managed to mostly book flights where satay isn't served - for overnight flights you need the earlier departure with dinner meal, supper has no satay.

The duty free trolley came through after meal service instead of before arrival.

I managed a few hours sleep and awoke south of Melbourne as breakfast was being served. Quite a southerly routing tonight - the flight path showed us passing well south of the Great Australian Bight. I've flown this route many times over the years (almost 50 in each direction), and normally Australia is crossed in the northern half passing somewhere near Brisbane on the east coast.

Nice views of Auckland city and the isthmus as we flew over and doubled back to land. We landed roughly on time and taxiied into the gate at the end of pier B. Immigration (smartgate) was quick as was customs (xray bypassed again as has been the recent practice for low risk passengers).
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
Singapore to Auckland
January 2012

Supper Menu

Starter

Parma ham and roasted pear salad, char-grilled vegetables and balsamic dressing

Main

Stuffed chicken with spinach and pinenuts in cress sauce, carrots and buttered tagliatelle with mushroom

Seafood hor fun
Chinese style stir fried rice noodles with seafood
A popular Singaporean dish

Pan fried beef fillet with mushroom sauce, sauteed vegetables and roasted potatoes

Finale

A selection from the fruit basket

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

Light Bites Menu

Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial in between your means, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight.

Noodles

Instant chicken noodle or flavour of the month

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Savoury sandwich

Vegetarian sandwich

Snacks

Assorted nuts

Potato chips

Savoury snacks

Chocolate bar

Assorted biscuits

Breakfast Menu

Prelude

A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

Sliced fresh fruit

Starter

Choice of cereal or yoghurt
Birchermuesli or yoghurt

Main

Char siew and wanton noodle soup
Egg noodles in rich broth garnished with honey roasted pork, pork dumplings and leafy greens
A renowned favourite in Singapore

Griddled hotcake with banana raisin compote and egg frittata

Vegetable frittata with baked beans, grilled chicken sausage and tomato

Breads

Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter – Fruit preserve

Beverages

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

Your Breakfast Choice

This convenient breakfast option lets you enjoy all the sleep you want, uninterrupted. Please inform our crew of your choice before lights out – if they do not receive your selection, you will be awakened in time for The Complete Breakfast

The Complete Breakfast*
Take your pick of the Main Event from our scrumptious selections.
Served earliest 2.5 hours prior to arrival

Continental Breakfast*
Delight in this simple yet wholesome meal.
Served earliest 1.5 hours prior to arrival

* Kindly refer to the breakfast menu

SQ285C AKL-SIN (S1/SN1/B) 100-1.1 01-02 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

Champagne Henriot Brut Souverain
Brut Souverain is an elegant blend with a balanced proportion of Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs and Pinot Noir from the Montagne de Reims, with a percentage of Pinot Meunier adding light notes of fruitiness and spice. Brilliant light straw gold, persistent and regular bubbles; precise, expressive and refreshing nose of citrus and yellow fruits, floral fragrances and pastry aromas (brioche, toast) follow; fresh and balanced on the palate, with a fullish texture and refreshingly dry finish.

White Wine

2010 d'Arenberg The Olive Grove Chardonnay, McLaren Vale, Australia
d'Arenberg founded in 1912 is one of McLaren Vale's most exciting wineries and "wild haired" winemaker Chester Osborne has a strong international following for his wines. This coastal region, with its dry mediterranean climate, is known for its wine and olives hence the name The Olive Grove. This chardonnay combines ripe flavours with freshness, this is achieved by careful blending of oaked and unoaked components of the blend.

2010 Mud House Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
New Zealand's Marlborough region is home to many of the world's most distinctive Sauvignon Blanc wines, and Mud House is one of Marlborough's most respected producers. The grapes for this wine were grown in the sub-regions of Wairau, Awatere and Ure Valleys, and the wine made by Nadine Worley. This wine's racy and vibrant style has a strong international reputation and is typified by a lifted herbaceous leafy aroma and crisp mouthwatering acidity and wonderful freshness.

Red Wine

2007 Chateau La Garde Pessac-Leognan Bordeaux, France
This 42.6-hectare estate in Bordeaux's northern Graves region produces wines that are a perfect half-way-house between those from Saint-Emillion, where the rich ripeness of the Merlot grape dominates, and the Medoc, where the firmer, more tannic Cabernet Sauvignon is to the fore. Its impressive deep colour leads to aromas of blackberry and blueberry, the palate showing a concentrated berry fruit character with impressive freshness and elegance. 2007 was a good vintage which is developing well compared to the harder 2006s.

or

2008 Brolio Chianti Classico Tuscany, Italy
The Ricasoli family built the historic Castello di Brolio in 1141 and the ancestor of current owner Barone Francesco Ricasoli laid down the rules for the wines of Chianti in the late 1800s. Produced principally from Tuscany's most famous grape variety Sangiovese that gives the intense ruby colour, the wine shows aromas of red berry fruit with liquorice spice, great depth of flavour on the palate with a velvety yet firm finish. 2008 was an excellent vintage that is now showing its best.

2008 Tatachilla Shiraz - McLaren Vale, Australia
Shiraz is Australia's most famous grape variety - yet the style of wine produced varies greatly depending upon the specific climatic conditions of the region. McLaren Vale has dry and warm Mediterranean growing conditions so the Shiraz wines are ripe and full with a soft finish. The region close to the sea south of Adelaide is well known for its patchwork of olive groves, almond trees and vineyards. Whilst Tatachilla was established over 100 years ago it has undergone a major renaissance over the last 15 years and now produces some of the regions finest wines.

Port

Fonseca Unfiltered Late Bottled Vintage 2005
The 2005 vintage was preceded by a series of intense heatwaves throughout the summer, followed by some welcomed rainfall which helped to round off the ripening of the crop. As a result, this vintage produced wonderfully intense and concentrated wines of black-red colour, dense plum and fig nose, full body and fruity finish, pure and direct.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Apple Bliss
A tantalizing refreshment of apple juice and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritizer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Rumba
An exotic thirst quencher of rum mixed with pineapple juice and 7-Up

Jubilee Lining
A zesty cocktail created with Cointreau, Vodka, pineapple juice, topped with soda

Skyhigh
An invigorating recipe featuring vodka, Cointreau, lemon, topped with 7-Up

Kris in Love
A delightful concoction of white wine stirred with 7-Up

Bloody Mary
A classic blend of vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Golden Spice

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Citrus Royale

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard

Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey

Highland Park 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Gordon’s Dry Gin

Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari
(Available on flights to and from North Asia)

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

For a more invigorating aroma and richer-flavoured coffee, choose from some of the world's finest coffee beans to go into your specialty coffee.

Brazil Santos Bourbon
A smooth, nutty coffee with a balanced body and clean aftertaste

Colombian Supremo
A good all-rounded coffee with light body and a smooth, clean aftertaste

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”
A medium-bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee

Cappuccino
Espresso topped with foamed milk

Mocha
A combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Caf Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling
An exquisite black tea that develops remarkable overtones of ripe apricots

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon
An Orange Pekoe black tea renowned for its light and generous complexity

Chamomile
Soft and soothing chamomile flowers yielding a golden, caffeine-free cup

Decaffeinated Earl Grey
A caffeine-free black tea alternative infused with TWG Tea bergamot

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea
A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Sencha
Japanese Green tea with a delicate aroma and a fresh, clean taste

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatice green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

Pu-Erh
A strong tea exuding an earthy fragrance

* Available hot or with ice

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND transit #2

A quick visit to get a boarding pass for the next flight at the transfer desk. While it is possible that my e-pass RFID chip may work at the lounge and gate I thought they probably wouldn't since the intervening flights have been credited to a frequent flyer program other than Air NZ Airpoints and I was not confident that FQTS (status field) alone works for the readers as opposed to the more usual case, for non-FTers, where FQTV (mileage accrual) and FQTS are both the same program and that is Air NZ Airpoints. There wasn't a queue and I was given a boarding pass with minimal prompting.

While it had been raining earlier and the warm humidity had not dried out the ground it was currently not looking threatening so I walked across to domestic terminal. Security was slow because only 1 lane was open. Upstairs to the lounge where I had time to check some messages and have a coffee before boarding.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to WELLINGTON (AKL-WLG) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy, space+ seat

I was last to board and pleased to see an empty middle seat on the otherwise full flight. I fell asleep after the safety video and awoke at top of descent into Wellington. There were glimpses of an angry whitecapped sea through the cloud and rain. I thought we were landing from the south & I was seeing Cook Strait on final approach. But we dropped below the cloud at Greta Point (about 1 minute before touchdown), which meant we were landing to the south and the weather was nasty. I thought there was a good chance of a go around, diversion or return to Auckland, but we landed shortly afterwards. As we taxiied into the terminal we could feel the violent wind gusts pushing against the aircraft.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

This was going to be the end of my report, perhaps with a bit of trip trivia added.

Since I've been slow to complete and you've been patient, I'll also post the next "little" trip which saw me back in first class. Coming soon.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

WELLINGTON to AUCKLAND (WLG-AKL) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy, space+ seat

Several days later and back at the airport for another quick trip. Minimal queue at check in. The usual headaches getting the right frequent flyer program in the system for optimal credit and the usual lack of onward boarding passes. It is a continual annoyance that Air NZ's system is not well integrated with their airline partners.

With early check in deadline for international connections I had time in the lounge to do some work. There was a problem with the printer but after playing around with the machine I got it to work. I should be grateful the lounge still has a printer as so many airline lounges do not.

Boarding was called a little late. I judged the time to go to the gate quite well - no queue at security and boarding was nearly finished. Through the window I saw the aircraft registration but didn't recognise it so wondered if we had an international configured A320 instead of domestic. That would not be good - international config has less legroom, but on such a short flight it doesn't matter too much. Onboard I see it is domestic config.

The flight was full and the only 2 empty seats were in my row We pushed back only a few moments late and I caught up on some sleep, waking on descent into Auckland. We must have had strong headwinds as we were late arriving. There was an announcement of a stand (or rather please don't switch on phones until inside the terminal and take care when descending the stairs) as we taxiied in but we actually got an airbridge.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND transit #3

It was a bit breezy and the overcast reflected high humidity but still nice enough to walk across to international terminal. I checked in and attempted to get some more boarding passes for the next few flights. However, the agent made such a hash of getting the correct frequent flyer number in and boarding passes issued that I walked away with only 1 onward boarding pass and it didn't show the right code to indicate successful mileage credit - my non-SQ status showed but not the PPS code. This may mean the frequent flyer number has been entered incorrectly and a manual chase up to get mileage credit. We'll see.

I used the express immigration which is available to premium passengers on some airlines during the day (but unfortunately not for the late night departures), which saves 30 seconds time upstairs. Security was slow despite 4 lanes being open. There were lots of flight attendants (NZ, QF, JQ, KE) in the queues ahead of me so bad luck on timing.

I had about an hour in the lounge to fill with FT, email and a belated breakfast/brunch snack.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SINGAPORE (AKL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in first

I left the lounge a little late in order to finish off a couple of things and also cogniscent of the first & business class passengers boarding through door 1L and thus traipsing past my seat. On the way to pier B the automatic messages on the departure screens were showing "gate closing" but I knew/hoped this was incorrect. Sure enough on reaching the gate boarding was three-quarters completed, but certainly not finished.

I settled into my seat and began relaxing. Before departure there were drinks (choice of Dom Perignon 2000 or Krug NV or non-alcoholic), a hot towel, drink refill, amenity kit and menu handed out, drink refill, newspapers and magazines, drink refill, drinks order for after take-off, meal order and drink refill.

We pushed back on time but had a short wait before taxiing out as the Emirates A380 taxiied into the gate we had just departed from and blocked the exit. Brief views of the west coast before heading out to sea.

After take-off there were more drinks and hot nuts. Lunch was served shortly afterwards, and as usual in premium cabins I enjoyed a slow meal - I was barely onto my main when others had finished. I was disappointed that satay has been removed from the menu ex-NZ. In my mind satay is always associated with Singapore Airlines but you really have to get the right flights in order to get it these days as many evening, and some daytime, departures do not have satay on the menu. A water bottle was handed out before I finished the meal.

I'd been watching a movie over lunch and started a second movie. I awoke to notice the 2nd movie was nearly over and I could only remember seeing the first few minutes. I must have been very tired. As the flight was not very full in first a flight attendant had made up the adjacent seat into a bed for me and I hopped in to continue my sleep. I got a couple more hours good sleep and a bit more dozing half-awake and half-asleep.

Since I was feeling sleepy and only properly awake about an hour before arrival I turned down the offer to have some food prepared for me to eat and chilled out supping some bubbles and enjoying the "me time".

We descended by weaving around various thunderstorms. There was lightning out both sides of the aircraft, and apparently over Changi airport so we delayed our arrival by flying around for a bit. At one stage I was startled to see an aircraft race across our flight path not much (I'm guessing no more than a couple of thousand feet given our low altitude at the time) below us. The sun was setting and the thunderclouds had interesting mix of sunlit and dark shadows.

We ended up landing nearly half an hour late and taxiied into gate B10, the furthest from the lounge. This seems to be the preferred gate for New Zealand flights and over the past six months I've had this gate so many times that I could walk to the lounge in my sleep.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
Auckland to Singapore
January 2012

Lunch

Create your gastronomic experience from our selection of tantalising options.

Appetisers

Countryside style duck potted meat on brioche bread with fresh herbs, pine nuts and fig tomato chutney

Marinated prawns and salmon with mango salad

Soups

Cream of asparagus with crabmeat

Wintermelon soup with chicken, mushroom and carrot

Salad

Salad of frisee and witllof, garnished with marinated baby artichoke, ligurian olives and semi dried tomato
Blue cheese dressing
Red wine vinaigrette

Main Courses

Lamb cutlet with mushroom cream, courgette cake and potato

Beef hor fun
Chinese style stir fried sliced beef with rice noodles

Barbecued pork ribs with sauteed vegetables and cajun spiced potatoes

Tandoori fish with mixed vegetables korma and lemon pilaf

Roasted portobello mushroom with herbed pasta, baby carrot, broccolli and tomato sauce

Desserts

Iced souffle with cherries and exotic fruit salad

Warm flaky apple tart with ice cream and vanilla sauce

Cheeses

Assorted gourmet cheeses served with dried fruit, nuts and crackers

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas served with pralines

Light Bites

Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight.

Noodles

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Focaccia with roast beef and char-grilled vegetables

Focaccia with cheese, carrots and pineapple

Snacks

Cashew nuts, honeyed walnuts or macadamia nuts

Muesli slice

Chocolate brownie

Assorted walkers biscuit

Assorted cheeses with garnishes

Light Meal

Lean back and unwind with our simple yet delightful culinary selection.

Appetiser

Salad of romaine with poached egg, sauteed lardon, crouton, shaved parmesan cheese and creamy caesar dressing

Main Courses

Braised prawns in curry white wine sauce with eggplant confit, roasted cherry tomatoes and gnocchi

Seared cod fillet in Oriental hoisin sauce with seasonal vegetables and egg noodles

Teriyaki style beef fillet served with assorted vegetables and steamed rice

Dessert

Chocolate cheese cake served with mixed berry coulis

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas

Champagnes and Wines

Champagnes

Dom Prignon 2000
Named after the monk in charge of the cellars at the Abbey of Hautvillers at the end of the 17th century who is credited with having "invented" Champagne, Cuvee Dom Perignon has an almost mystical reputation. According to the brilliant winemaker-in-chief Richard Geoffroy, quality is based on harmony, a perfect blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes where nothing is lost and everything comes together. The 2000 vintage shows the proof of this to perfection.

Krug Grande Cuvee
Founded in Reims in 1843, the House of Krug is now managed by the 5th and 6th generations of the Krug family. Rigorous selection and care go into every detail of the “multi-vintage” Grand Cuve, which offers a magical combination of aromatic complexity, power and finesse with a long, lingering finish. Krug is the ultimate experience in champagne.

White Wines

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2010 Marlborough
Cloudy Bay is arguably New Zealand's most famous winery. Since its first vintage in 1986, Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc has excited wine drinkers the world over with its racy freshness and zingy flavours and well deserves its cult status. Sauvignon Blanc grown in Marlborough in the South Island is highly distinctive wine style and has played a major role in establishing New Zealand on the international wine stage.

Chablis Premier Cru Vaillons 2007 William Fevre
The most prestigious vineyards in this famous appellation are all clustered around the historic town of Chablis in northern Burgundy, where only Chardonnay vines may be planted on the chalky clay and limestone soil to produce these wines of pronounced floral fruit, with hints of apple on the palate with a refreshing mineral finish. 2007 was an excellant vintage for Chablis and at three years old this Premier Cru is at its best.

Red Wines

2004 Chateau Leoville-Poyferre Saint-Julien Bordeaux, France
This splendid estate covering 80 hectares of vines in the best part of the Medoc, was names as a Second Growth in the famous classification of the best Bordeaux wines in 1855 and has retained this high status ever since. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot are harvested at their peak of ripeness to make this classic "Bordeaux Blend". Deep carmine-ruby in colour, with fragrantly intense aromas of red and black berries, the rich concentration of fruit on the palate is balanced by an elegantly firm finish. It is eminently suited to white and red meats and of course perfect with cheese.

Mitolo Reiver 2006 Shiraz Barossa, Australia
The Barossa Valley is known internationally for classic "Aussie" Shiraz. These wines are rich and full-bodied with a characteristic soft finish. Mitolo is a partnership between Frank Mitolo and cult winemaker Ben Glaetzer. The grapes come from low yielding single vineyard in Greenock in the northern part of the Barossa - average vine age is 60 years. This vibrant red wine has great concentration and spice. The palate has a wonderful velvety texture and suppleness and successfully combines power with softness. Pairs very well with richly flavoured red meats.

Corton Clos Des Cortons Faiveley 2007 Faiveley
Clear bright ruby, fine aromas of red berry fruit lead to well-extracted cherry fruit on the palate with evidence of oak in the tannic structure, quite robust flavours in the true Corton style, just beginning to open out and with a long life in front of it

Sweet White

Chateau Filhot 2009 Sauternes
With south-west facing vines surrounding one of the most impressive 18th century Bordeaux Chateaux, Filhot was classified a top Second Growth in 1855 and subsequent generations of the Comte de Vaucelles family have maintained the reputation. Bright yellow-gold with floral aromas that contain white summer fruits, honey and a touch of citrus, the rich sweetness on the plate is lifted by natural acidity to give beautiful length and balance.

Port

Graham’s 20 Year Old Tawny Port Portugal
This magnificent port is made from wines of the very highest quality from Graham’s estates in the Douro region of northern Portugal. The black-red of the young wines takes on a light red/tawny colour, while the nose shows raisiny fruit with hints of orange peel and spice. On the palate it is rich and nutty, with a wonderful warmth of flavour and lingering aftertaste.

Cocktails

Mix of the Month

Apple Bliss
A tantalizing refreshing of apple juices and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Singapore Airlines’ Unique Creations

Silver Kris Sling
One of our special touches made with gin, Cointreau and orange and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritizer

Jubilee Lining
A zesty cocktail created with Cointreau, Vodka, pineapple juice, topped with soda

Kris in Love

Rumba

Skyhigh

Golden Spice
A refreshing, zesty mix with lime cordial, given a spicy relish through equal parts of pineapple juice and ginger ale

Awaiting the Golden Dawn
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato and orange juice

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

All-Time Favourites

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, Dom Benedictine, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Bloody Mary
A classic blend of vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce

Fruit Spritzer
A simple yet delightfully refreshing mix of apple juice and 7-Up

Citrus Royale
A thirst quencher made from orange juice and pineapple juices mixed with lime cordial and 7-Up

Appetising Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Spirits

Spirits

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky
A time-honoured distillation process and the traditional skills of master craftsmen create a satisfyingly complex single malt characterised by a full-bodied flavour with hints of dried fruit and spice

Cognac XO – Hennessy

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Belvedere Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Beer

Steinlager

Beverages

Enjoy the invigorating aroma and rich flavour from our selection of the finest brew.

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Coffee connoisseurs are sure to appreciate this smooth nutty coffee - the pick of the Brazilian crop.
aroma 4 body 3 acidity 2

Colombian Supremo
Good, all-rounded coffee with light body, balanced acidity and a smooth, rounded flavour that leaves a clean aftertaste.
aroma 3 body 3 acidity 3

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Often called the champagne of coffee, this full bodied classic is rich in aroma and flavour, yet perfectly balanced
aroma 5 body 5 acidity 2

Kenyan AA "Kilimanjaro"
It takes that magical combination of temperate climate and volcanic soil to produce this medium bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste
aroma 5 body 4 acidity 4

Aroma defines the fragrant scent that the coffee emits when it is just poured.
Body defines the physicality of the coffee when it is in your mouth.
Acidity defines the sharpness of flavour that the coffee has when tasted.

Enjoy a selection of hot and cold beverages, anytime you wish. Simply let us know your preference.

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Our exclusive blend of coffee, freshly brewed

Cafe Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO brandy

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee, the gourmet's choice

Cappuccino
An all time favourite, espresso enriched with an abundance of foamed milk

Cafe Latte
Mild espresso topped with steamed milk and a dash of foam

Cafe au Lait
A double espresso topped with steamed milk

Decaffeinated Coffee
A full-flavoured alternative without caffeine

Mocha
A delicious combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Other Beverages

Chocolate
An ideal treat of smooth rich cocoa and milk

Ovaltine
A nutritious chocolate malt drink

Milo
A nutritious drink for that extra energy

International Teas

Royal Darjeeling

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea

Alfonso Fruit Tea
A magnificent alliance of black tea, rare mango and a secret combination of TWG Tea fruits and flowers

Moroccan Mint Tea
A perfect blend of delicate green tea and strong Sahara mint

Chamomile

Decaffeinated Earl Grey

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Indian Masala Tea

Sencha

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatic green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong

Cool Refreshments

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juices

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light / Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat

SQ286QC AKL-SIN (LF/SN1/LMF) 176-1.1 01 FC
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE transit #5

My fifth transit of Singapore within a few weeks. Surprisingly this is not the most times I've been through Singapore in such a short timeframe - I've had up to 4 transits in as many days.

My first stop in the lounge was the check in desk to pick up some more boarding passes. If either of Wellington or Auckland check in had been able to sort it out properly I wouldn't have needed to check in here, so it caused a bit of confusion. Nonetheless I was actually happy to do so as it meant I could avoid the transit desk at my next airport which is only open for limited hours = a bit of a pain to access the lounge sans boarding pass and waste time leaving said lounge to get boarding pass.

Once I had these I was escorted into the private room, the lounge within a lounge for Singapore Airlines first class passengers (the first class lounge being largely filled with Solitaire PPS passengers). There is slightly better food in the private room but drinks are the same as in the first class lounge. The main benefit, assuming like me you don't like being escorted in, is the lounge is not as busy and there is more personal space as a result.

I went straight for a shower to freshen up and then to the dining area for a quick bite and some drinks. I finished with catching up on messages in the small business centre.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Exhausting stuff! Thanks for posting.

So I see you've now sampled the legendary SXM landing. How was it? Could you see the thrillseekers on the beach ready to be jetblasted?

Also, I'd be curious to hear what you make of the new SQ regional biz seats?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Exhausting stuff! Thanks for posting.

So I see you've now sampled the legendary SXM landing. How was it? Could you see the thrillseekers on the beach ready to be jetblasted?

Also, I'd be curious to hear what you make of the new SQ regional biz seats?
We landed in the evening so not much to see, but I got to see SXM landings closer in person the next day.

The SQ regional biz seats aren't so new any more! I think they are okay but obviously not as good as the flat beds on 77W/A380/A345.

Apologies for the delay in resuming the report. I hope to get the rest of the report posted during the next couple of days.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
The Private Room, inside Singapore First Class Lounge
January 2012

Waldorf Salad
Celery, green and red apple served with mayonnaise dressing

Mixed Garden Salad
With a choice of Caesar dressing, French dressing OR Honey mustard vinaigrette

Choice of soup

Barley, cabbage & potato hearty soup OR Braised old yellow cucumber with chicken soup

US Prime Beef Burger with Foie Gras, Rocket Leaf and Fried Quail Egg
Homemade juicy burger in a sesame seed bun

Baked Snapper Papillote
Baked snapper served with sliced potato, lemon and zucchini
(preparation time : 10 mins)

Baked Lobster with Three Cheeses
Boston lobster baked with Gruyere, Emmenthal and Cheddar cheese sauce
served with asparagus and baby carrot
(preparation time : 12 mins)

Lap Mei Fan (Claypot Rice)
Steamed rice served in a claypot with pork, duck, Chinese pork sausage and salted fish, flavoured with dark soya sauce

Fish Congee
Congee served with fish slices, Chinese cruellers and condiments

Wanton Noodle
Egg noodle with prawn dumplings, served in broth or tossed dry

Korean Ginseng Chicken
Korean ginseng chicken in soup served with rice and kimchi

Assorted Satay
Lightly barbequed chicken, beef or mutton pieces, served with onions, cucumber slices, ketupat (rice cubes) and peanut sauce

Dim Sum Delights
With your choice of tea to go along:
Jasmine, Oolong, Pu Er, Chrysanthemum, Green, Fresh Mint Leaf Tea

Chef Station Special (available from 12pm)

Marinated Chicken with Spicy Garlic Sauce
Marinated whole chicken with hot and spicy garlic sauce served with chicken rice

Chinese New Year Prosperous Salad ("Yu Sheng")
Sliced smoke salmon served with shredded carrot, shredded white turnip, crackers and pickles (cucumber, ginger, melon, leek and gourd)
Topped with fragrant oil and Plum sauce

Selection of Fine Ice Cream
Choice of Vanilla, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Strawberry Cheese Cake, Mint Chocolate Chunk or Berry Extraordinary Sorbet
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE to TOKYO NARITA (SIN-NRT) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in first class

I left the lounge at the time boarding was due to commence, figuring by the time I got to the gate way down the pier and through security boarding would be mostly completed. It had been too long since I'd been on this flight & I'd forgotten how sometimes the departure from Singapore is delayed due to ground traffic at Singapore (long haul flights take priority) and fast flight time if winds aloft are favourable. So when I arrived in the gate area boarding had not yet started, although I didn't have long to wait.

On boarding I recognised an FTer with whom I'd last flown a few years ago. Later in the flight we had a wee chat.

Again choice of 2000 Dom or Krug NV before take-off (there is rumoured to be some other liquids available also), and again plenty of refills during boarding. The usual pjs, amenity kit, menu. Slippers and eye mask weren't handed out until after take-off for some odd reason.

The load was light, about 3 or 4 of us. So great service all flight. I opted to have dinner and then sleep through breakfast. Since I love the SQ Japanese meals (kyo kaiseki in first and hanagoyami in business) I had booked the cook this to ensure I got it, rather than trust to the meal order in the cabin where it may have been unavailable if too many passengers before me selected it.

After much eating, drinking, chatting quietly, drinking, watching a movie, and drinking, I was tired enough and noticed the empty suite across the aisle had been made up into a bed for me with a water bottle placed on the armrest. I managed a couple of hours sleep, waking near top of descent.

I'd barely opened my eyes when I was asked if I wanted a late breakfast (no thanks) or a drink (if you insist).

We didn't have any view other than early morning clouds. Indeed we only saw the ground moments before passing the runway threshold. The terminal was nowhere to be seen until we'd taxiied close enough.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
Singapore to Tokyo Narita
January 2012

Sleeper service

Kyo Kaiseki

Ichino-Zen

Plum flavoured sardine, lotus root salad with sesame seeds
Rolled fried beancurd with coltsfoot, turnip, carrot
Pickled onion

Nino-Zen

Grilled salted flounder, assorted pickles
Rolled omelette with seaweed, garland and chrysanthemum
Clam, squid, yam jelly and spring onion with mustard miso dressing
Simmered beancurd with shishito, shiitake, grated spicy radish
Steamed rice or porridge
White miso soup with gluten and mustard

Sleeper Service

To allow you a longer period of undisturbed rest, please let us know your preference for the following meal service options :

- To be served your meal soon after take-off
OR
- To be served your meal about 2 hours before arrival

Your Choice Of ...

Tomato bread sandwich with roasted chicken and cream of leek soup on the side

Seafood hor fun
Chinese style stir fried rice noodles with seafood

American Breakfast
Yoghurt
Fresh eggs with ham or chicken sausage, roasted tomato, mushroom and roesti potatoes
Bread selection with preserves

Continental Breakfast
Assorted bread with preserves

Your meal will be served with a selection of sliced fresh fruits

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas

Champagnes and Wines

Champagnes

Dom Prignon 2000
Named after the monk in charge of the cellars at the Abbey of Hautvillers at the end of the 17th century who is credited with having "invented" Champagne, Cuvee Dom Perignon has an almost mystical reputation. According to the brilliant winemaker-in-chief Richard Geoffroy, quality is based on harmony, a perfect blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes where nothing is lost and everything comes together. The 2000 vintage shows the proof of this to perfection.

Krug Grande Cuvee
Founded in Reims in 1843, the House of Krug is now managed by the 5th and 6th generations of the Krug family. Rigorous selection and care go into every detail of the “multi-vintage” Grand Cuve, which offers a magical combination of aromatic complexity, power and finesse with a long, lingering finish. Krug is the ultimate experience in champagne.

White Wines

Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling Kabinett 2007 Riechsgraf Von Kesselstatt
The steep, rocky Goldtropfchen (meaning "little drops of gold") vineyards are at the centre of this historic estate on Germany's Mosel river that was founded in 1349. Planted exclusively with the Riesling grape, the wines have been described as showing "an exciting fruit and a playful elegance", which summarises the aromas of fresh pears and peaches with a ripeness and racy florality on the palate and a lingering fruit finish. 2007 was an excellent vintage and this wonderful wine is now at its peak. Recommended with white meats and spicy Asian food.

Chablis Premier Cru Vaillons 2007 William Fevre
The most prestigious vineyards in this famous appellation are all clustered around the historic town of Chablis in northern Burgundy, where only Chardonnay vines may be planted on the chalky clay and limestone soil to produce these wines of pronounced floral fruit, with hints of apple on the palate with a refreshing mineral finish. 2007 was an excellent vintage for Chablis and at three years old this Premier Cru is at its best.

Red Wines

Chateau Cos d'Estournel 2002 Saint-Estephe
The vineyards of Cos d'Estournel, founded in 1811 by Louis-Gaspard d'Estournel, occupy gravelly slopes (Cos means "hill of pebbles") that overlook those of First Growth Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in neighbouring Pauillac. Historically, and still today, the most famous chateau in Saint-Estephe, the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes ripen to perfection in the temperate micro-climate of the northern Medoc to produce wines with great depth of colour and smooth, supple flavours. The 2002, harvested under magnificent conditions after a rainy summer, shows crushed mulberry fruit and a rounded yet firm finish, a wine of great class.

OR

Chateau Cos d'Estournel 2004 Saint-Estephe, France
With 65 hectares of superbly situated vineyards that adjoin those of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in neighbouring Pauillac, Cos d'Estournel is recognised as the leading estate in Saint-Estephe. The wine is known for its intense, classic Cabernet Sauvignon fruit blended with carefully selected Merlot to provide a rich roundness on the finish. Deep black cherry red, with aromas of crushed summer berries, the succulent concentration of flavour on the palate is now beginning to open up to show the quality and length of the excellent 2004 vintage.

Chianti Classico 2005 Castello Di Brolio
Barone Francesco Ricasoli manages this most historic Tuscan estate owned by his family almost 900 years and the benchmark for Chianti since his ancestor laid down the wine making rules in the 1870s. The best Sangiovese grapes from old vines bring the dark red colour, the nose of autumnal berry fruits whose richness and depth of flavour is matched by ripe tannins and a very long finish. 2005 was an excellent vintage, now tasting very well indeed.

Griotte-Chambertin 2007 Louis Jadot
The small Grand Cru Griotte-Chambertin is located opposite Chambertin Clos de Beze, the most famous vineyard in Gevrey-Chambertin alongside Le Chambertin itself. Really good deep young colour, liquorice spice and fresh red fruits on the nose, really beautiful aromas of crushed red, leafy fruits, terrific vibrancy and lift, lots of grip, a really classy wine with great purity and vineyard origin, a grand wine with a great future.

Sweet White

Chateau Filhot 2009 Sauternes
With south-west facing vines surrounding one of the most impressive 18th century Bordeaux Chateaux, Filhot was classified a top Second Growth in 1855 and subsequent generations of the Comte de Vaucelles family have maintained the reputation. Bright yellow-gold with floral aromas that contain white summer fruits, honey and a touch of citrus, the rich sweetness on the plate is lifted by natural acidity to give beautiful length and balance.

Port

Graham’s 20 Year Old Tawny Port Portugal
This magnificent port is made from wines of the very highest quality from Graham’s estates in the Douro region of northern Portugal. The black-red of the young wines takes on a light red/tawny colour, while the nose shows raisiny fruit with hints of orange peel and spice. On the palate it is rich and nutty, with a wonderful warmth of flavour and lingering aftertaste.

Cocktails

Mix of the Month

Apple Bliss
A tantalizing refreshing of apple juices and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Singapore Airlines’ Unique Creations

Silver Kris Sling
One of our special touches made with gin, Cointreau and orange and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritizer

Jubilee Lining

Kris in Love

Rumba

Skyhigh

Golden Spice
A refreshing, zesty mix with lime cordial, given a spicy relish through equal parts of pineapple juice and ginger ale

Awaiting the Golden Dawn
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato and orange juice

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

All-Time Favourites

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, Dom Benedictine, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Bloody Mary

Fruit Spritzer
A simple yet delightfully refreshing mix of apple juice and 7-Up

Citrus Royale
A thirst quencher made from orange juice and pineapple juices mixed with lime cordial and 7-Up

Appetising Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Spirits

Spirits

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky
A time-honoured distillation process and the traditional skills of master craftsmen create a satisfyingly complex single malt characterised by a full-bodied flavour with hints of dried fruit and spice

Cognac XO – Hennessy

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Belvedere Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Momono Shizuku Sake
A premium Junmai-Daiginjo sake from Kyoto prefecture, named after a haiku by the famous poet Matsuo Basho

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Aragoshi Umeshu
A refreshing Umeshu derived from fresh plums soaked in sake

Beer

Tiger

Asahi

Beverages

Enjoy the invigorating aroma and rich flavour from our selection of the finest brew.

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Coffee connoisseurs are sure to appreciate this smooth nutty coffee - the pick of the Brazilian crop.
aroma 4 body 3 acidity 2

Colombian Supremo
Good, all-rounded coffee with light body, balanced acidity and a smooth, rounded flavour that leaves a clean aftertaste.
aroma 3 body 3 acidity 3

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Often called the champagne of coffee, this full bodied classic is rich in aroma and flavour, yet perfectly balanced
aroma 5 body 5 acidity 2

Kenyan AA "Kilimanjaro"
It takes that magical combination of temperate climate and volcanic soil to produce this medium bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste
aroma 5 body 4 acidity 4

Aroma defines the fragrant scent that the coffee emits when it is just poured.
Body defines the physicality of the coffee when it is in your mouth.
Acidity defines the sharpness of flavour that the coffee has when tasted.

Enjoy a selection of hot and cold beverages, anytime you wish. Simply let us know your preference.

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Our exclusive blend of coffee, freshly brewed

Cafe Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO brandy

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee, the gourmet's choice

Cappuccino
An all time favourite, espresso enriched with an abundance of foamed milk

Cafe Latte
Mild espresso topped with steamed milk and a dash of foam

Cafe au Lait
A double espresso topped with steamed milk

Decaffeinated Coffee
A full-flavoured alternative without caffeine

Mocha
A delicious combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Other Beverages

Chocolate
An ideal treat of smooth rich cocoa and milk

Ovaltine
A nutritious chocolate malt drink

Milo
A nutritious drink for that extra energy

International Teas

Royal Darjeeling

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon

Earl Grey

English Breakfast Tea

Singapore Breakfast Tea

Paris-Singapore Tea

Alfonso Fruit Tea
A magnificent alliance of black tea, rare mango and a secret combination of TWG Tea fruits and flowers

Moroccan Mint Tea
A perfect blend of delicate green tea and strong Sahara mint

Chamomile

Decaffeinated Earl Grey

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Indian Masala Tea

Sencha

Hojicha
Gently roasted Japanese green tea with hints of robust, nutty flavours

Genmaicha
Traditional Japanese green tea infused with aromatic, roasted brown rice

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatic green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong

Cool Refreshments

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juices

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light / Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat

SQ638QC SIN-NRT (CF1) 208-1.1 01 FC

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.