Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A few flights to end 2011

A few flights to end 2011

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to SINGAPORE (AKL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-200ER in business, refitted regional seats

I managed to stay awake until boarding in the early hours of the morning. The lounge was empty except for staff clearing up so I thought I'd somehow missed hearing the boarding call. The monitors showed "boarding" but that doesn't mean anything because in Auckland the status is auto-timed based on departure time and not updated for actual boarding status. Since it was only about 30 minutes to departure I figured I had somehow missed the call and left for the gate. When I arrived, boarding had not yet commenced.

The flight was oversold however upon boarding there were 2 empty seats in business class. I guess they either no-showed or were moved onto Air New Zealand's late night departures to Shanghai or Hong Kong. The passenger beside me was across the aisle from these free seats and while I was thinking hmmm would be nice to switch and get some more space he moved across.

Pre-departure drinks a choice of champagne, water or orange juice. Headphones, menu, socks and eye mask were handed out. A hot towel. Drinks order and asked if we wanted to have supper and/or breakfast (i.e. do we want to be woken for either meal if asleep). This flight is quite a long red-eye (10:30) and so my choice of meals depends on what I am doing afterwards - if visiting Singapore I might skip supper and have breakfast, if continuing on a short flight I may have supper and skip breakfast or have breakfast if awake and nap on the next flight, and if continuing on a long flight I prefer to have supper and skip breakfast in order to spread my sleep budget across 2 longhaul flights.

The post take-off drink was quickly served despite the seatbelt sign remaining on, but the cabin crew were soon ordered to take their seats. No turbulence occured and about 90 minutes later meal service resumed, albeit minus any hot drinks for the seatbelt sign remained on and SQ has for the past few years had a policy of no hot drinks if seatbelt sign is lighted.

I watched a movie before supper, and part of another during meal service before I fell asleep. The seatbelt sign had been on all that time with no turbulence. When I awoke as breakfast was being served the seatbelt sign was on (still or again), with no turbulence felt, and came off only briefly about 45 minutes before landing. I skipped breakfast and asked for a couple of kenyan coffees in the brief interval in which hot drinks were allowed so as to awaken properly.

We landed on time.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
Auckland to Singapore
January 2012

Supper Menu

Starter

Chicken and glass noodle salad

Main

Duck leg confit with honey flavoured mashed sweet potato, braised baby leeks and gremolata

Pan fried orange roughy in garlic sauce
with sauteed capsicums and boiled parsley potatoes

Stir fried pork with mushrooms, vegetables and steamed rice

Finale

Berry layered mousse

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

Light Bites Menu

Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial in between your means, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight.

Noodles

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Focaccia with roast beef and char-grilled vegetables

Focaccia with cheese, carrots and pineapple

Snacks

Assorted nuts

Muesli bar

Cookies

A selection from the fruit basket

Breakfast Menu

Prelude

A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

Sliced fresh fruit

Starter

Choice of cereal or yoghurt
Granola with milk
Plain or fruit yoghurt

Main

Stuffed French toast with orange cream cheese, caramelized banana and strawberry compote

Seafood beehoon
Fried rice vermicelli with braised prawns, scallops and garnished with Chinese greens, mushroom and egg

Scrambled egg on potatoes
with roasted vine tomato and breakfast ham

Breads

Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter – Fruit preserve

Beverages

Your Breakfast Choice

This convenient breakfast option lets you enjoy all the sleep you want, uninterrupted. Please inform our crew of your choice before lights out – if they do not receive your selection, you will be awakened in time for The Complete Breakfast

The Complete Breakfast*
Take your pick of the Main Event from our scrumptious selections.
Served earliest 2.5 hours prior to arrival

Continental Breakfast*
Delight in this simple yet wholesome meal.
Served earliest 1.5 hours prior to arrival

* Kindly refer to the breakfast menu

SQ282C AKL-SIN (S1/SN1/B) 26-1.1 01-02 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

Champagne Henriot Brut Souverain
Brut Souverain is an elegant blend with a balanced proportion of Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs and Pinot Noir from the Montagne de Reims, with a percentage of Pinot Meunier adding light notes of fruitiness and spice. Brilliant light straw gold, persistent and regular bubbles; precise, expressive and refreshing nose of citrus and yellow fruits, floral fragrances and pastry aromas (brioche, toast) follow; fresh and balanced on the palate, with a fullish texture and refreshingly dry finish.

White Wine

2010 d'Arenberg The Olive Grove Chardonnay, McLaren Vale, Australia
d'Arenberg founded in 1912 is one of McLaren Vale's most exciting wineries and "wild haired" winemaker Chester Osborne has a strong international following for his wines. This coastal region, with its dry mediterranean climate, is known for its wine and olives hence the name The Olive Grove. This chardonnay combines ripe flavours with freshness, this is achieved by careful blending of oaked and unoaked components of the blend.

2010 Mud House Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
New Zealand's Marlborough region is home to many of the world's most distinctive Sauvignon Blanc wines, and Mud House is one of Marlborough's most respected producers. The grapes for this wine were grown in the sub-regions of Wairau, Awatere and Ure Valleys, and the wine made by Nadine Worley. This wine's racy and vibrant style has a strong international reputation and is typified by a lifted herbaceous leafy aroma and crisp mouthwatering acidity and wonderful freshness.

Red Wine

2007 Chateau La Garde Pessac-Leognan Bordeaux, France
This 42.6-hectare estate in Bordeaux's northern Graves region produces wines that are a perfect half-way-house between those from Saint-Emillion, where the rich ripeness of the Merlot grape dominates, and the Medoc, where the firmer, more tannic Cabernet Sauvignon is to the fore. Its impressive deep colour leads to aromas of blackberry and blueberry, the palate showing a concentrated berry fruit character with impressive freshness and elegance. 2007 was a good vintage which is developing well compared to the harder 2006s.

or

2008 Brolio Chianti Classico Tuscany, Italy
The Ricasoli family built the historic Castello di Brolio in 1141 and the ancestor of current owner Barone Francesco Ricasoli laid down the rules for the wines of Chianti in the late 1800s. Produced principally from Tuscany's most famous grape variety Sangiovese that gives the intense ruby colour, the wine shows aromas of red berry fruit with liquorice spice, great depth of flavour on the palate with a velvety yet firm finish. 2008 was an excellent vintage that is now showing its best.

2008 Tatachilla Shiraz - McLaren Vale, Australia
Shiraz is Australia's most famous grape variety - yet the style of wine produced varies greatly depending upon the specific climatic conditions of the region. McLaren Vale has dry and warm Mediterranean growing conditions so the Shiraz wines are ripe and full with a soft finish. The region close to the sea south of Adelaide is well known for its patchwork of olive groves, almond trees and vineyards. Whilst Tatachilla was established over 100 years ago it has undergone a major renaissance over the last 15 years and now produces some of the regions finest wines.

Port

Fonseca Unfiltered Late Bottled Vintage 2005
The 2005 vintage was preceded by a series of intense heatwaves throughout the summer, followed by some welcomed rainfall which helped to round off the ripening of the crop. As a result, this vintage produced wonderfully intense and concentrated wines of black-red colour, dense plum and fig nose, full body and fruity finish, pure and direct.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Apple Bliss
A tantalizing refreshment of apple juice and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritizer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Rumba
An exotic thirst quencher of rum mixed with pineapple juice and 7-Up

Jubilee Lining
A zesty cocktail created with Cointreau, Vodka, pineapple juice, topped with soda

Skyhigh
An invigorating recipe featuring vodka, Cointreau, lemon, topped with 7-Up

Kris in Love
A delightful concoction of white wine stirred with 7-Up

Bloody Mary
A classic blend of vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Golden Spice

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Citrus Royale

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard

Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey

Highland Park 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Gordon’s Dry Gin

Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari
(Available on flights to and from North Asia)

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

For a more invigorating aroma and richer-flavoured coffee, choose from some of the world's finest coffee beans to go into your specialty coffee.

Brazil Santos Bourbon
A smooth, nutty coffee with a balanced body and clean aftertaste

Colombian Supremo
A good all-rounded coffee with light body and a smooth, clean aftertaste

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”
A medium-bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee

Cappuccino
Espresso topped with foamed milk

Mocha
A combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Caf Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling
An exquisite black tea that develops remarkable overtones of ripe apricots

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon
An Orange Pekoe black tea renowned for its light and generous complexity

Chamomile
Soft and soothing chamomile flowers yielding a golden, caffeine-free cup

Decaffeinated Earl Grey
A caffeine-free black tea alternative infused with TWG Tea bergamot

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea
A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Sencha
Japanese Green tea with a delicate aroma and a fresh, clean taste

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatice green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

Pu-Erh
A strong tea exuding an earthy fragrance

* Available hot or with ice

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE transit #3

Our arrival gate was at the end of A pier so I enjoyed the walk to the lounge as a chance to stretch legs properly. I was welcomed back to the lounge. After a shower to freshen up I had enough time to catch up on messages before heading to the nearby gate 18 minutes prior to departure in order to beat the 10 minute gate closure deadline.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE to LONDON HEATHROW (SIN-LHR) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in business

Security was devoid of passengers when I arrived, which is a bit unusual - normally there are lots of people arriving at the gate at the last minute. I was greeted at the xray and whisked onboard, with the door shutting a moment behind me and a good 10 minutes early.

The flight was very full, with just 1 empty seat in first. The forward mini-cabin, however, had only 6 passengers because the other 2 seats were reserved for pilots.

A water bottle and menu were already in my seat and I was quickly offered a drink (no bubbles - eek!), a hot towel, socks and eye mask, and had my breakfast order taken (or in my case confirming the book the cook option I had pre-ordered was still acceptable or did I want to switch to an item from the menu).

Breakfast was served shortly after take-off. They forgot my drink request and I had to ask again, which promptly drew profuse apologies. I ate slowly while watching a movie and reading. I then had a few hours sleep and spent the rest of the flight alternately resting eyes/dozing and watching a tv show plus having a drink. The second meal service began about 3 hours before landing, and in between some passengers took advantage of the snack service upon request.

With our early departure we were looking to land very early but instead got a scenic descent. First parallel to the River Thames but well north of it, turning somewhere north of Heathrow to return east again north of the River Thames but rather closer, turning again seaward of Greenwich to track along the River Thames and finally landing. We still arrived a little early.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
Singapore to London
January 2012

Breakfast Menu

Prelude

Sliced fresh fruit

Starter

Choice of cereals or yoghurt
Granola with milk
Plain or fruit yoghurt

Main

Khao Thom
Thai rice porridge with pork and minced pork balls

Waffle with wild cherry compote, ricotta cheese and honey

Baked crepe with scrambled eggs, veal sausages, roasted tomato and potatoes

Breads

Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter – Fruit preserve

Beverages

Light Bites Menu

Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial in between your means, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight.

Noodles

Instant chicken noodle or flavour of the month

Sandwiches

Soya chicken with pickled ginger in ciabatta

Smoked salmon with tapenade in focaccia

Roasted vegetable and cheddar cheese in onion ciabatta

Snacks

Assorted nuts

Ferrero Rocher chocolate bar

Granola cereal bar

Lay's potato chips

Assorted biscuits

Lunch Menu

Prelude

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Starter

Mesclun with Oriental lobster salad with melon

Main

Veal "blanquette" with paparika, baby carrots, wild mushrooms and crystalised baby turnip

Braised duck with yam rice
A Singapore local dish of duck braised in soya sauce served with yam rice, braised egg and peanuts

Seafood crepe with grilled vegetables

Pla Kao Lard Prik
Thai style deep fried garoupa fillet with mixed vegetables and steamed rice

Finale

Pistachio macaroon with raspberry

Movenpick tiramisu ice cream with coffee sauce

A selection of fresh fruit

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas, with pralines

SQ308QC SIN-LHR (B/SN1/L) 101-1.1 01 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

Brut Souverain is an elegant blend with a balanced proportion of Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs and Pinot Noir from the Montagne de Reims, with a percentage of Pinot Meunier adding light notes of fruitiness and spice. Brilliant light straw gold, persistent and regular bubbles; precise, expressive and refreshing nose of citrus and yellow fruits, floral fragrances and pastry aromas (brioche, toast) follow; fresh and balanced on the palate, with a fullish texture and refreshingly dry finish.

White Wine

d'Arenberg founded in 1912 is one of McLaren Vale's most exciting wineries and "wild haired" winemaker Chester Osborne has a strong international following for his wines. This coastal region, with its dry mediterranean climate, is known for its wine and olives hence the name The Olive Grove. This chardonnay combines ripe flavours with freshness, this is achieved by careful blending of oaked and unoaked components of the blend.

Tinpot Hut Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough, New Zealand
Most Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc wines are quite herbaceous with pronounced leafy characters. This wine is quite atypical as the grapes are predominately from Blind River in the Awatere Valley which is drier and less fertile than the main valley floor. The result is a lively wine with strong lemony character, bracing acidity, pronounced minerality and overall freshness. Tinpot Hut takes its name from an old mustering shed in the remote hills of the region. It is made by highly rated winemaker Fiona Turner.

Red Wine

Shiraz is Australia's most famous grape variety - yet the style of wine produced varies greatly depending upon the specific climatic conditions of the region. McLaren Vale has dry and warm Mediterranean growing conditions so the Shiraz wines are ripe and full with a soft finish. The region close to the sea south of Adelaide is well known for its patchwork of olive groves, almond trees and vineyards. Whilst Tatachilla was established over 100 years ago it has undergone a major renaissance over the last 15 years and now produces some of the regions finest wines.

This 42.6-hectare estate in Bordeaux's northern Graves region produces wines that are a perfect half-way-house between those from Saint-Emillion, where the rich ripeness of the Merlot grape dominates, and the Medoc, where the firmer, more tannic Cabernet Sauvignon is to the fore. Its impressive deep colour leads to aromas of blackberry and blueberry, the palate showing a concentrated berry fruit character with impressive freshness and elegance. 2007 was a good vintage which is developing well compared to the harder 2006s.

Port

The 2005 vintage was preceded by a series of intense heatwaves throughout the summer, followed by some welcomed rainfall which helped to round off the ripening of the crop. As a result, this vintage produced wonderfully intense and concentrated wines of black-red colour, dense plum and fig nose, full body and fruity finish, pure and direct.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Apple Bliss

Cocktails

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritizer

Rumba

Jubilee Lining
A zesty cocktail created with Cointreau, Vodka, pineapple juice, topped with soda

Skyhigh

Kris in Love

Bloody Mary
A classic blend of vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Golden Spice

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Citrus Royale

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Gordon’s Dry Gin

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

For a more invigorating aroma and richer-flavoured coffee, choose from some of the world's finest coffee beans to go into your specialty coffee.

Brazil Santos Bourbon

Colombian Supremo

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso

Cappuccino

Mocha

Caf Royal

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon

Chamomile

Decaffeinated Earl Grey

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Sencha

Indian Masala Tea

Chinese Teas

Jasmine

Oolong

Pu-Erh

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay in posting the next instalments. The next bit should be up shortly.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LONDON transit #3

So just a few days after I'd been here I was back at T3 transfer desk trying to check in and without much initial success. I was given a boarding pass but the codes showing my FF details were not displaying correctly. I asked for it to be fixed and after a few failed attempts the agent turned the screen enough to point out my FF number.

"What's that KR in front of the number?"
"That's the airline code."
I politely insisted it wasn't (the Asiana card even helpfully prints OZ in front of the number) and to humour me more than in any real hopes of success the agent resubmitted without the KR. Success.

I trudged off to the lounge battling the peak travel season crowds in the shopping area en route. Inside I was welcomed into the first class lounge and asked if I wanted to be moved to the earlier flight. I indicated I'd be okay with switching if they wished - I thought that would be less rush to grab a shower at my next transit airport. I'd also noticed both flights were rather full, so I hoped my offer, such as it was, would not mean missing out on a potential op-up.

Later on the lounge agent came by and said they no longer expected to be overbooked so they would not ask me to switch flights.

The transit was longer than I'd prefered (normally I'd have taken the earlier flight) so I worked while battling tiredness and the painfully slow internet connection.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
London First Class Lounge
January 2012

Breakfast Menu

Available from 07.30 to 12.00 from your host/hostess

Scrambled eggs with baked beans

Mini omelettes served with round bread

Hot Chinese pot noodles

Bacon & tomato / ham & cheese toasty

Mozzarella & slow roasted tomato panini

Congee with accompaniments

From the Buffet

Selection of breakfast cereals

Selection of cooked croissants & danish

Organic low fat yoghurt

Char siu buns (steamed)

Fruit selection

Fresh juices

Selection of cheese and biscuits

Sandwich platters

Slices cake, muffins

Afternoon Menu

Available from 12.00 to 16.00 from your host/hostess

Afternoon tea for 1 or 2

Platter of sandwiches, cakes and scones
served with herb or fruit tea of your choice

From the Buffet

Selection of afternoon cakes

Traditional scones with clotted cream and preserves

Cut fruit plate

Sandwiches of the day

A La Carte

Available from 16.00 to 21.30

(Starter)

Miso soup

Sushi platter
served with wasabi, soy sauce and ginger

Dim sum selection
sweet / savoury

(Main)

Singapore laksa
rice noodles served in a spicy coconut broth, garnished with fresh prawns, fishcakes, tofu puffs and bean sprouts

Roast pork noodle
red roast pork sliced with chilli noodles, topping with freshly cut pok-choi

Fish 'n' fried noodles
served with freshly cut cucumber and natural yoghurt / soya sauce and red-chilli

Fish 'n' leek pie
smoked salmon-haddock, prawn and leek filling served with fresh garden salad

Sausage 'n' mash
traditional Cumberland sausage served with creamy mashed potato and onion gravy

Vegetable tikka masala
selection of vegetables in a mild creamy tikka masala sauce, served with rice / naan bread

From the Buffet

Selection of hot finger buffet items

Dim sum, fruit plate, sliced cake

Sandwiches of the day

Beverages

Champagnes

Moet Chandon
Pannier Brut

Red Wines

Fleurie
Tenuta di Ceppaiano
Shiraz

White Wines

Sancerre
Alamos (Chardonnay)

From the Bar

A selection of : -
spirits,
vermouths
non alcoholic-beers, cider
soft drinks
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LONDON HEATHROW to SINGAPORE (LHR-SIN) on Singapore Airlines A380-800 in business

When the time came to board we were asked to remain in the lounge for a few more minutes as the gate area was too full. I waited about 15 minutes and having noted almost everyone else had left the lounge by now ambled down to the gate almost at the end of the pier and alongside the Qantas A380 which was also headed to Singapore.

No magical beep so I took my selected seat and settled in. Menu and headset were in the seat pocket already. Soon after I was seated I was offered pre-departure drinks, socks and my meal and drink orders were taken.

If I was only flying to Singapore I would have fallen asleep very quickly as I was rather tired but wanting to manage my total sleep time I forced myself to stay awake for supper and a couple of movies before drifting off. The kenyan coffee I had early in the flight did just enough to revive me.

I like flying in the A380 - it is quieter and I notice the higher cabin air pressure. The tail camera is nice too. The business class seat is basically the same as on 77W but slightly wider and the window seats have a little side bin good for putting papers or a purse in but not much else. The bathrooms however are both smaller than 77W and there are only 4 for 60 business seats, so expect to queue more for the loo - especially just after supper and at the start of descent.

We landed slightly late and taxiied past 2 Qantas A380s to our gate. I subsequently found out that the daytime departure from London to Singapore had hit severe turbulence over India to the extent a few passengers had minor injuries. I hadn't noticed any bumps flying to or from London.

I got a reasonable sleep but awoke before breakfast, the service of which commenced 3 hours before departure. This is a little earlier than normal - perhaps because of the full load, or perhaps they were expecting turbulence close to our destination.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
Business Class menu
London to Singapore
January 2012

Supper Menu

Starter

Triology of salmon
Hot smoked salmon, smoked salmon and gravadlax with mesclun and feta cheese

Main

Pan roasted chicken with roasted peppers, artichokes, braised shallots, green and black Chairgnola olive sauce

Braised pork with yam in preserved red beancurd, leafy greens, carrots, cauliflower and steamed rice

Pan seared prawns with garlic butter sauce, sauteed mixed peppers and buttered linguine

Thai style fried fish with spicy sauce served with seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

Finale

Vanilla mousse with coffee sauce

Chocolate mint cake

A selection of fresh fruit

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas, with pralines

Light Bites Menu

Noodles

Macaroni in light chicken broth garnished with Chinese greens and sliced chicken

Sandwiches

Chicken, bacon and rocket foccacia
Ham and iceberg lettuce foccacia

Cheddar, onion chutney and lettuce foccacia
Houmous, pepper and rocket foccacia

Snacks

Assorted nuts

Chocolate bar

Cereal bar

Chips

Assorted biscuit

Before Touch-Down

Prelude

Sliced fresh fruit

Starter

Choice of cereals or yoghurt
Cornflakes or All-bran with milk
Plain or fruit yoghurt

Main

Egg noodles with braised beef brisket, mushrooms and leafy greens

Kedgeree
Poached and smoked haddock cooked with rice, tomato and egg

Fine herbs omelette with chicken sausage, grilled tomato, mushrooms and potatoes

Breads

Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter – Fruit preserve

Beverages

Your Breakfast Choice

This convenient breakfast option lets you enjoy all the sleep you want, uninterrupted. Please inform our crew of your choice before lights out – if they do not receive your selection, you will be awakened in time for The Complete Breakfast

The Complete Breakfast*
Take your pick of the Main Event from our scrumptious selections.
Served earliest 2.5 hours prior to arrival

Continental Breakfast*
Delight in this simple yet wholesome meal.
Served earliest 1.5 hours prior to arrival

* Kindly refer to the breakfast menu

SQ321QC LHR-SIN (S/SN1/HB) 102-1.1 01 RC

Beverages

Champagnes & Wines

Champagne

White Wine

Tinpot Hut Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough, New Zealand
Most Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc wines are quite herbaceous with pronounced leafy characters. This wine is quite atypical as the grapes are predominately from Blind River in the Awatere Valley which is drier and less fertile than the main valley floor. The result is a lively wine with strong lemony character, bracing acidity, pronounced minerality and overall freshness. Tinpot Hut takes its name from an old mustering shed in the remote hills of the region. It is made by highly rated winemaker Fiona Turner.

Red Wine

Port

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Apple Bliss

Cocktails

Singapore Sling

Silver Kris Sling

Alspritizer

Rumba

Jubilee Lining

Skyhigh

Kris in Love

Bloody Mary

Spirits

Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic Cocktails

Golden Spice

Fruit Spritzer

Awaiting The Golden Dawn

Citrus Royale

Tropical Fizz

Spirits

Cognac XO Otard

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Gordon’s Dry Gin

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Beverages

Gourmet Coffee Beans

Brazil Santos Bourbon

Colombian Supremo

Kenyan AA “Kilimanjaro”

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Espresso

Cappuccino

Mocha

Caf Royal

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling

Earl Grey

English Breakfast Tea

Nuwara Ellya OP Ceylon

Chamomile

Decaffeinated Earl Grey

Singapore Breakfast Tea

Paris-Singapore Tea

In-House Tea Selection

Asian Teas*

Sencha

Indian Masala Tea

Chinese Teas

Jasmine

Oolong

Pu-Erh

Other Beverages*

Hot Chocolate

Milo

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juice

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:59 pm

Very detailed. Thanks for sharing - always love having a read of what other people are doing when they travel.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore transit #4

Our gate was close to the lounge. First stop was a shower to freshen up. Just enough time for a couple of drinks and check some messages and it was time to head to the farthest B gate to board the next flight.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
It has been a long time between "drinks" (Trip Reports) and was good to read about your crazy itinerary. I know you were seriously debating on whether you should start this report and with the 23 December event in CHC I thought there was no way you would.
You so needed a good Christmas/New Year set of flights after the year of hard work you have put in.
Hopefully you can get a few more flights into this report before your work overtakes your life again.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I just about fell asleep while standing outside waiting for my ride. The fear of missing the first flight and having to rearrange my complicated run of 8 flights in sequence at this time of year was about all that kept me from dropping where I stood. It was a battle between tiredness and fear, and just as the delay in my ride arriving got long enough that I thought I'd lose out it turned up. Phew.
I saw you at the bus stop and you were looking rather anixous waiting and I knew where you were going. I later saw you go past on the bus and sent you a Bon Voyage text....this was before I got home to see the news on CHC and then lots fo calls for me right before i had to pack for my own trip. I did wonder if you had to cancel your own trip, which I so nearly had to.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:18 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Hopefully you can get a few more flights into this report before your work overtakes your life again.
May I echo this? I guess this journey is probably heading to its close, but your itinerary of London - Auckland - London - Singapore with barely a pause for breath has left my head spinning just reading it. Would love to know how the trip ended.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay. More will be posted shortly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.