Search

A few flights to end 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
LONDON transit #2

There was a 10 minute wait at flight connection centre for the bus to T3. We drove past the aircraft I'd arrived on. Once in T3 there was no queue at FCC security - in the dozens of times I've passed through T3 FCC I've never seen it this quiet.

I stopped by the transfer desk but was told it was too early to check in for the next set of flights. To be fair my transit was very long, albeit it is the shortest possible on Oneworld between Muscat and my next destination. But with poor weather and a lot of work to catch up on I wanted to use the lounge facilities.

The BA lounges are notorious for requiring oneworld emerald status card to access the first lounge if not flying in first (or oneworld sapphire status card to access the business lounge if not flying in business) - the boarding pass alone (with status printed on it) is not good enough. I had the reverse situation, a card and no boarding pass, but I was let in without a problem.

I grabbed a shower to freshen up, a quick bite suitably washed down, posted some updates in this report and set to work. Several hours later I left the lounge to stretch my legs and check in, but then returned to the lounge for more.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LONDON HEATHROW TO SINGAPORE (LHR-SIN) on Qantas A380-800 in business

I'd had in mind for a while to try to upgrade this flight (including continuation to Australia). It was the only Qantas flight on my itinerary with first class, and A380 F on Qantas is great. Plus it has been too long since I've flown it.

A few days before the trip started I figured out I'd just have enough points once the Miami to London flight posts, and had two opportunities to put in an upgrade request - at London in transit, and (possibly) at Muscat in transit. Qantas rules require upgrade requests to be made at least 24 hours before departure.

We used to be able to put in upgrade requests even if insufficient points in the account - the upgrades used to be processed close to departure and we only needed the points at that time. However rule changes means there have to be sufficient points in the account in order to make an upgrade request. Points aren't actually deducted until the upgrade has cleared - with various times before departure based on status when they are processed.

I wasn't confident about being able to put in a request at London - how quickly will all my flights be credited?

I also wasn't completely confident about being able to put in a request at Muscat - from previous trips I recalled the lounge has computers but a dodgy connection. Are the computers still there & in working order? Will Qantas use 24 hours or base it on calendar dates (and if so in what timezones)?

I'd been monitoring availability and it had been F2A2 (i.e. only 2 first class seats available for sale) for a while. Not a good sign, but as there are several flights between London and Australia on Qantas and British Airways all departing at similar time it isn't impossible for premium availability to fluctuate.

While waiting for the Miami to London flight to board I decided to check my account to see how up to date the flight credits were. Bad news - several flights hadn't yet credited. Good news - I'd forgotten about the Qantas "thanks for sticking with us" promo (following the strike) and I already had enough points to put in the upgrade request. Even better news, the availability has opened up to F8A8 (i.e. at least 8 first class seats available for sale).

I put in my upgrade request, and by the time I'd arrived in London and checked from the Galleries First lounge the upgrade had cleared and points deducted. Yay.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 4, 2012 at 2:01 am
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LONDON HEATHROW to SINGAPORE (LHR-SIN) on Qantas A380-800 in first

I left the lounge a little later than I'd planned but still in plenty of time to walk to gate 1 and easily make the boarding close off. Last time I flew on Qantas from London Heathrow I'd had the same gate, and it is a good chance to stretch legs before the flight. Along the way I noticed an SQ A380 parked up at the adjacent gate (gate 2). That flight leaves around the same time and thus was also in the process of boarding. Gate 2 utilises separate gate entrances for premium and non-premium passengers, whereas gate 1 just has separate cordoned lines.

Boarding must have commenced late, because by the time I'd arrived only first class and passengers needing assistance were boarding. Straight onboard for me.

I'd barely gotten my bag stowed when pre-departure champagne was offered. (No offer of any other beverages although I didn't test this by turning down the bubbles.) The lovely Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blancs de Blanc 1999. Also some canapes - tasty but the size and shape of the parmesan shortbread was wrong for easy dipping into the eggplant puree. The bubbles were topped up many times during boarding - I lost count after 5 or 6. The purser said he was happy to keep me hydrated after such a horrible itinerary (his words not mine).

Also handed out before departure were the menu and amenity kit. I wasn't offered pajamas.

The first class cabin was fairly full with just one or two empty seats. A family group of 5 had clearly upgraded or switched flights very close to departure - they were spread between the left hand and centre seats which are separated by a dividing wall. The cabin crew did not appear to ask anyone on the right hand seats to switch to the left hand to make it more convenient for the family. Thus initially at least there was much hopping to and fro over the wall by the parents. I worried I'd be disturbed by it during the flight, especially if they keep the suite privacy walls down, but I didn't notice it except early and late in the flight.

We pushed back late but our taxi was short and soon on our way. I reacquanted myself with the suite functions - it has been too long since I've flown A380 in first on Qantas. I settled on a comfortable seat position, movie on the main screen, flight map on the maincontroller and using the handset to adjust IFE.

I had a lovely leisurely meal. This is one of the best parts of longhaul first class - the ability to eat when you want and take as long as you want. I'd expected I'd be too tired from the long day (and long previous couple of days) to enjoy the meal fully, with sleep aided by the bubbles and the lovely shiraz during the meal. On the long flights between Europe and Australasia I prefer to get a few hours sleep on each flight rather than one good long sleep and next to none on the other flight. I find this helps me adjust to 10-13 hours time difference quite well. It turned out I wasn't as sleepy as I thought so I stayed up even after most other passengers in first were asleep.

The IFE froze midday during the first movie and had to be rebooted. A little later the IFE and the seat functions both froze. There is a button at the base of the seat to reset that and again the IFE had to be rebooted. A little later it froze again. While several attempts were made at rebooting I began to resign myself to sticking with reading some reports and catching up on a little work, and hoping that I'd soon fall alseep.

I didn't. Fall asleep that is. As consolation while the IFE was being mashed back into shape I was given champagne. Lots of it. More than 5 hours into the flight I finally got close to the end of my 1st movie.

Eventually I did fall alseep. I am not sure if I did get to the end of that movie. I was woken about 2 1/2 hours before arrival by the noise of breakfast service which was underway. Hmmm a bit early for first or business class - it is better to have a short service close to landing to maximise sleep.

I was still full - probably from drinking too much but was persuaded to order something. I asked for spiced tomato juice and lots of water. It was about now I noticed I also hadn't been given a water bottle.

My eyes not properly awake and head not properly functioning yet, and conscious of the IFE problems during the flight, I opted to switch on tail cam and leave it there while I dozed and hoped to get a little more sleep. I didn't.

Not much view on tail cam initially - just a ruddy big aircraft and clouds which could be anywhere. When we were close to Singapore, perhaps 3 minutes or so from landing, I saw great condensation clouds above the wings. This sometimes happens in humid areas due to the pressure drop as air passes over the wings, which causes a small temperature drop and if the air is close to 100% humidity this is enough to form condensation. It looked much better than my bland description of the phyiscs.

We must have had great tailwinds as we arrived early to a gate at the end of C pier.

I enjoyed the flight very much but a few service issues and the lengthy problems with IFE and seat functions seriously detracted from it. If I had paid cash for first class I would have been very annoyed.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
London Heathrow to Singapore
January 2012

Supper

Canapes

Parmesan Shortbread with Eggplant Puree and Kalamata Olives

Entrees

Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup with Creme Fraiche

Salad of Cornish Coppa, Manchego, Cos and Red Mustard with Pine Nut and Sherry Vinegar Dressing

Light Meals

Moroccan Lamb Pot Pie

Big bowl of Asian Consomme with Prawn Wontons

Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

Main Courses

Wild Mushroom Linguine with Truffle Pecorino

Gild Heat Bream with White Onion Puree, Sauteed Potatoes and Buttered Chantenay Carrots

Master Stock Chicken with Lemon Sauce, Fragrant Rice and Choy Sum

Side Salad

Salad of Rocket, Radicchio, Mizuna and Baby Gem with your choice of dressing

Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Cheese

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert

Vanilla Brulee with Hazelnut Praline

Quince Clafoutis with Chestnut Ice Cream

Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Laverstoke Park Buffalo Milk Organic Ice Cream Tubs

Petits Fours

A selection of Amedei dark chocolates

Millefeuille

Mini Eccles Cakes

Breakfast

Create your favourite Breakfast from our extensive Rockpool designed menu. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Mangi Juice
Pear Juice
Passionfruit and Orange Energiser Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Brookfarm Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Pear Danish
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Hot Selection

Free Range Scrambled Eggs on Toasted English Muffin with Peat Smoked Sea Trout, Sauteed Spinach and Tomato Relish

Buttermilk Pancakes with Fruit Compote and Cinnamon Yoghurt

Croque Monsieur

Beverages

Hot Beverages

Vittoria Cinque Stelle Coffee
Cafe Latte
Cappuccino
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

Decaffeinated

Other blends available upon request

T2 Tea

English Breakfast - A blend of the finest Sri Lankan full-bodied teas producing a rich and well-rounded flavour.

Earl Grey - A ful bodied Sri-Lankan blend of Ceylon orange pekoe and generous amounts of bergamot, producing an all-time classic tea

Peppermint - A well-rouned peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things 'minty' with a sweet, cool, lingering aroma.

Chamomile - Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet, golden chamomile flowers.

Sencha - A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful, emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Lemongrass and Ginger - Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

Other teas are available upon request.

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108 Bourbon
Wyborowa Polish Vodka

Beers

Little Creatures Pale Ale
Crown Lager
James Squire Golden Ale
Heineken
Hahn Premium Light

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

Fortifieds

Your Flight Attendant will advise whether today's menu features Penfolds Grandfather Fine Old Liqueur Tawny or Grant Burge 20yo Tawny.

Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

Cognac

Martell Cordon Bleau

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Mango Juice
Pear Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Appletiser Sparkling Apple Juice
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Coca-Cola
Coke Zero
Diet Coke
Lemonade
Lemon Squash
Ginger Ale
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Sparkling Mineral Water
Still Mineral Water

P2_10_30_LHR-ASIA_DEC11

Wine List

Champagne

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blancs de Blancs
Universally regarded as one of the world's finest Champagnes, Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs is an exceptional vintage champagne boasting remarkable finesse and elegance, recognised as the jewel in the crown of Champagne Taittinger's cuvee. This outstanding wine is only produced when the harvest is of exceptional quality and worthy of vintage champagne. It is made from the first pressing, exclusively from Chardonnay grapes grown in 100% Grand Crus vineyards. This pedigree produces a delicate and finely balanced champagne that has gained world-wide recognition amongst connoisseurs.

White Wine

PHI Chardonnay 2008, Yarra Valley, Victoria
PHI is a joint venture born out of a friendship between the Shelmerdine and De Bortoli families. PHI chardonnay is delicate, subtle and shows complexity and minerality. "It has a softness through the mid-palate and beautiful fragrance - green melon and grapefruit, brine and spice - with a clear-cut sense of fruit purity. Great length. Look out for the challengingly tart finish/aftertaste. Campbell Mattinson, The Wine Front, Jul 2010

Meerea Park "Terracotta" Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
The Terracotta 2005 vintage was produced during a season of drought in the Hunter - a season that produced simply stunning whites, particularly this character-filled green-gold Semillon. Cellar-matured and released after 5 years, its nose exhibits lanolin, toast and bees wax aromas, and has an almost-not-there suggestion of lemon and lime. The wine is so-named for the red basalt/clay soils in which the fruit is grown.

Gembrook Hill Sauvignon Blanc 2010, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Established by Ian and June Marks, Gembrook Hill is one of the oldest vineyards in the coolest part of the upper Yarra Valley. Son Andrew assists Timo Mayer with the winemaking and their minimal approach produces wines with finesse and elegance. This wine is soft, textural and food-friendly. Pale straw colour and fresh fruit on the nose. The palate is restrained with citrus flavours and mineral texture.

Red Wine

Penfolds RWT Shiraz 2004, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Since its first release in 1997 the RWT has become something of a wine media darling, some commentators suggesting that it is an even better wine than the much-revered Grange. Both styles are outstanding examples of Australian Shiraz : Grange the more traditional blockbuster and RWT displaying more modernity and finesse.

Hurley Vineyard "Garamond" Pinot Noir 2008, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Hurley's Kevin Bell and Tricia Byrnes established their vineyard back in 1998 and are known for their delicious Pinots. Matured for 18 months in French oak, Garamond is medium weight, spicy and more structured and reserved than their Lodestone and Hommage Pinot Noirs. It's succulent, creamy and sweet, but with a pleasant acidity creating a harmonious balance. An Australian first, Hurley Vineyard labels include information in Braille.

Woodlands "Nicholas" Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2007, Margaret River, Western Australia
Rumours have been circulating that if one wanted to know what the Margaret River's best Cabernet tastes like, Nicholas would be it - spot-on praise for this silky smooth drop. Left to its devices for 21 months in sauve French oak, Nicholas has emerged as a world-class wine. The nose reveals cassis, mulberry, blackcurrant, violet and toasty French oak notes.

Dessert Wine

Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2009, Clare Valley, South Australia
An outstanding dessert wine. A thoroughly delectable experiance that takes you on a journey through ripe lime to essence of orange marmalade.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Inflight Guide to Wine
Ninth Edition (late 2011)

2008 Ashton Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir, Adelaide Hills
2009 Ashton Hills Vineyard Reserve Pinot Noir, Adelaide Hills
2008 Balnaves The Tally Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawarra
2005 Castagna Genesis Syrah, Beechworth
2008 Castagna Genesis Syrah, Beechworth
2006 & 2009 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier, Canberra District
2009 Clonakilla Viognier, Canberra District
2007, 2008 & 2009 Cullen Diana Madeline, Margaret River
2009 Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay, Margaret River
2010 & 2011 Dalrymple Sauvignon Blanc, Pipers River
2008 De Bortoli Reserve Release Syrah, Yarra Valley
2008 Farrside by Farr Pinot Noir, Geelong
2008 Freycinet Vineyard Pinot Noir, Tasmania
2010 Gembrook Hill Sauvignon Blanc, Yarra Valley
2001 & 2005 Grant Burge Meshach Shiraz, Barossa Valley
2009, 2010 & 2011 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling, Clare Valley
2010 Henschke Coralinga Sauvignon Blanc, Adelaide Hills
2005 Henschke Keyneton Estate Euphonium, Barossa Valley
2008 Hurley Vineyard Garamond Pinot Noir, Mornington Peninsula
2006, 2007 & 2008 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay, Margaret River
2010 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Sauvignon Blanc, Margaret River
2008 Leo Buring Leopold Riesling, Tamar Valley
2005 McWilliams Mount Pleasant Lovedale Semillon, Hunter Valley
2009 Moss Wood Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir, Mornington Peninsula
2006 Moss Wood Moss Wood Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret River
2008 Mount Mary Vineyard Chardonnay, Yarra Valley
2007 Mount Langi Ghiran Langi Shiraz, Grampians
2002, 2004 & 2007 Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia
2002, 2004 & 2005 Penfolds RWT Shiraz, Barossa Valley
2007 Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay, South East Australia
2007 Penfolds Reserve Bin A Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills
2005 Peter Lehmann Margaret Semillon, Barossa Valley
2008 Phi Lusatia Park Vineyard Chardonnay, Yarra Valley
2009 Picardy Chardonnay, Pemberton
2008 SC Pannell Shiraz, McLaren Vale
2005 SC Pannell Shiraz Grenache, McLaren Vale
2010 Shelmerdine Sauvignon Blanc, Yarra Valley
2010 Spring Vale Melrose Pinot Noir, Freycinet
2010 Spring Vale Sauvignon Blanc, Freycinet
2010 Stella Bella Sauvignon Blanc, Margaret River
2008 St Hallett Old Block Shiraz, Barossa Valley
2008 Stonier KBS Chardonnay, Mornington Peninsula
2008 Ten Minutes by Tractor Wallis Vineyard Chardonnay, Mornington Peninsula
2010 The Wanderer Yarra Valley Pinot Noir, Yarra Valley
2006 Torbreck Descendant Shiraz Viognier, Barossa Valley
2005 Tyrell's Wines Vat 1 Hunter Semillon, Hunter Valley
2009 Woodlands Alma May Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret River
2009 & 2010 Woodlands Chloe Chardonnay, Margaret River
2007 Woodlands Nicolas Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret River
2009 Yabby Lake Pinot Noir, Mornington Peninsula
2008 Yabba Lake Vineyard Single Block Release Block 6 Chardonnay, Mornington Peninsula
2003 & 2004 Yarra Yering Dry Red No 1, Yarra Valley
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE transit #2

As we taxiied into the gate I kept an eye out for other Qantas and British Airways aircraft, to try and gauge my chances of a shower. There is always hot competition for showers in Singapore or Bangkok on these flight transit stops (or connecting from other flights), and while I'm fast to get to the lounge that is no help if you're the last of several QF and BA aircraft to arrive. Indeed, it is a sign of a frequent traveller to see who races to the lounge and who doesn't.

I sprinted to the first class lounge, where I was welcomed back. Only 2 sprinters (including me) on this flight, and we both got showers straight away while the rest had to wait.

Once I was finished up there I hopped onto a computer to catch up on messages. In the week or so since I'd last been here another computer had succumbed to the protection software issue - i.e. there were now only 2 workable computers. They really should get this sorted, it is no point having a protection software at all if the computer cannot be used.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE to MELBOURNE (SIN-MEL) on Qantas A380-800 in business first

I headed to the gate at the time I thought appropriate and once through passport check and security it was straight onboard again with boarding having just started.

More pre-departure bubbles, canapes, amenity kit, menu and pajamas. Several drink top-ups.

This time there was 1 empty seat in first. Pushback was slightly late and then we taxiied around 2/3 of the terminal complex to the far end of the far runway. The take-off roll almost completed a full lap of the terminal.

Despite the seat belt sign coming off very quickly, cabin service was very slow to get underway. It was more than an hour into the flight before drink and meal orders were taken, 90 minutes before first drink arrived and 120 minutes before first food arrived. On a shortish overnight flight this is terrible. Based on past experience, my next longhaul flight (in a couple of days) is likely to have completely finished the meal service in the same time it took just to get the orders in. Since I was tired I ate quickly and didn't enjoy the meal as much as I normally would.

My seat controller and IFE was again on the fritz but only required one reboot this time. Unfortunately the headset broke, fell into 2 pieces, and was not able to be fixed or replaced. So that makes 3 from 3 longhaul Qantas flights with IFE problems on this trip

I fell asleep after supper and again was awoken by the sounds of breakfast - about 3 hours after I'd finished eating. I declined to eat, commenting that I felt like I'd only just finished supper. I tried, again in vain, to doze for the rest of the flight.

As we began descending over the Grampians I switched on tailcam and watched the sunrise and us race towards each other while the curvature of earth seen from 42,000 feet flattened out at lower altitudes. There was a neat effect on the thin, scattered and layered clouds - the top layers being lit up by sun rays of dawn much closer to us than the lower layers or the ground.

We flew over the city and arrived pretty much on time.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Singapore to Melbourne
January 2012

Light Supper

Canapes

Tartlet of Chicken Mayonnaise with Parmesan

Seared Tuna with Citrus Dressing

Entrees

Thai Tom Yum Vegetable Soup with Straw Mushrooms

Salad of King Prawns with White Beans and Serrano Ham

Light Meals

Moroccan Lamb Pot Pie

Big bowl of Minestrone with Basil

Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

Main Courses

Pumpkin and Mozzarella Arancini with Braised Tomatoes and Salsa Verde

Seared Sea Bass with Ginger and Shallots, Fragrant Rice and Kan Kong

Shanghai Style Duck served with Yellow Flat Noodles and Gai Lan

Veal Polpettine with Linguine, Spinach and Pecorino

Side Salad

Salad of Baby Leaves with your choice of dressing

Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Red Wine Vinaigrette

Cheese

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert

Ruffled Milk Pudding with Muscat Spiced Prunes

Pear and Vanilla Cake with Creme Anglaise

Laverstoke Park Buffalo Milk Organic Ice Cream Tubs

Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Petits Fours

A selection of Amedei dark chocolates

Millefeuille

Mini Eccles Cakes

Continental Breakfast

Create your favourite Breakfast from our extensive Rockpool designed menu. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Mangi Juice
Pear Juice
Strawberry Energiser Drink

Citrus Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Apricot Danish
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Beverages

Hot Beverages

Vittoria Cinque Stelle Coffee
Cafe Latte
Cappuccino
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

Decaffeinated

Other blends available upon request

T2 Tea

English Breakfast - A blend of the finest Sri Lankan full-bodied teas producing a rich and well-rounded flavour.

Earl Grey - A ful bodied Sri-Lankan blend of Ceylon orange pekoe and generous amounts of bergamot, producing an all-time classic tea

Peppermint - A well-rouned peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things 'minty' with a sweet, cool, lingering aroma.

Chamomile - Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet, golden chamomile flowers.

Sencha - A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful, emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Lemongrass and Ginger - Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

Other teas are available upon request.

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108 Bourbon
Wyborowa Polish Vodka

Beers

Crown Lager
James Squire Golden Ale
Heineken
Hahn Premium Light

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

Fortifieds

Your Flight Attendant will advise whether today's menu features Penfolds Grandfather Fine Old Liqueur Tawny or Grant Burge 20yo Tawny.

Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

Cognac

Martell Cordon Bleau

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Mango Juice
Pear Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Coca-Cola
Coke Zero
Diet Coke
Lemonade
Lemon Squash
Ginger Ale
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Sparkling Mineral Water
Still Mineral Water

P10_SIN-MEL_DEC11

Wine List

Champagne

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blancs de Blancs
Universally regarded as one of the world's finest Champagnes, Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs is an exceptional vintage champagne boasting remarkable finesse and elegance, recognised as the jewel in the crown of Champagne Taittinger's cuvee. This outstanding wine is only produced when the harvest is of exceptional quality and worthy of vintage champagne. It is made from the first pressing, exclusively from Chardonnay grapes grown in 100% Grand Crus vineyards. This pedigree produces a delicate and finely balanced champagne that has gained world-wide recognition amongst connoisseurs.

White Wine

PHI Chardonnay 2008, Yarra Valley, Victoria
PHI is a joint venture born out of a friendship between the Shelmerdine and De Bortoli families. PHI chardonnay is delicate, subtle and shows complexity and minerality. "It has a softness through the mid-palate and beautiful fragrance - green melon and grapefruit, brine and spice - with a clear-cut sense of fruit purity. Great length. Look out for the challengingly tart finish/aftertaste. Campbell Mattinson, The Wine Front, Jul 2010

Meerea Park "Terracotta" Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
The Terracotta 2005 vintage was produced during a season of drought in the Hunter - a season that produced simply stunning whites, particularly this character-filled green-gold Semillon. Cellar-matured and released after 5 years, its nose exhibits lanolin, toast and bees wax aromas, and has an almost-not-there suggestion of lemon and lime. The wine is so-named for the red basalt/clay soils in which the fruit is grown.

Gembrook Hill Sauvignon Blanc 2010, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Established by Ian and June Marks, Gembrook Hill is one of the oldest vineyards in the coolest part of the upper Yarra Valley. Son Andrew assists Timo Mayer with the winemaking and their minimal approach produces wines with finesse and elegance. This wine is soft, textural and food-friendly. Pale straw colour and fresh fruit on the nose. The palate is restrained with citrus flavours and mineral texture.

Red Wine

Penfolds RWT Shiraz 2004, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Since its first release in 1997 the RWT has become something of a wine media darling, some commentators suggesting that it is an even better wine than the much-revered Grange. Both styles are outstanding examples of Australian Shiraz : Grange the more traditional blockbuster and RWT displaying more modernity and finesse.

Hurley Vineyard "Garamond" Pinot Noir 2008, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Hurley's Kevin Bell and Tricia Byrnes established their vineyard back in 1998 and are known for their delicious Pinots. Matured for 18 months in French oak, Garamond is medium weight, spicy and more structured and reserved than their Lodestone and Hommage Pinot Noirs. It's succulent, creamy and sweet, but with a pleasant acidity creating a harmonious balance. An Australian first, Hurley Vineyard labels include information in Braille.

Woodlands "Nicholas" Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2007, Margaret River, Western Australia
Rumours have been circulating that if one wanted to know what the Margaret River's best Cabernet tastes like, Nicholas would be it - spot-on praise for this silky smooth drop. Left to its devices for 21 months in sauve French oak, Nicholas has emerged as a world-class wine. The nose reveals cassis, mulberry, blackcurrant, violet and toasty French oak notes.

Dessert Wine

Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2009, Clare Valley, South Australia
An outstanding dessert wine. A thoroughly delectable experiance that takes you on a journey through ripe lime to essence of orange marmalade.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Just returned from 3 weeks in Australia and I already miss Little Creatures Pale. (even though it cost $60 / case - Australia is expensive!)

Enjoying your trip report, thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MELBOURNE transit

Express arrival cards where handed out at the base of the airbridge. I didn't need one so walked on past.

Over the past few years international transfers at Melbourne has relocated a few times. On my previous transit here the transfer security was at the end of the main pier where the new pier joins it, and often (but not always) required calling main security and waiting for someone to come out. It was a bit of a pain but at least was convenient.

Now the transfer security is back by the base of the pier. So trudge towards immigration as far as the duty free shop and turn left. Transfer security has been in the spot before, but more recently was on the right hand side of the duty free shop. A long queue as we'd landed after Emirates and it appears there were lots of passengers continuing through to Auckland this morning. On the other side we emerge just before the first duty free shop, which you have to snake your way through and then back the full length of the pier. By the time I reached the first lounge upstairs at the end of the pier was about 40 minutes after pulling into the gate. I noted to myself that things would get worse when Emirates starts flying A380 on the Dubai to Melbourne to Auckland route later in the year.

Mindful that my remaining transit time wasn't that long as a result I headed for a shower to freshen up. When I took a seat in the business area, I noticed the Singapore Airlines A380 had arrived and, as in London, was parked up right next to the Qantas A380.

Then I went to grab a coffee from the machine. The whirring sound attracted the attention of a lounge staff who told me the machine was broken. Okay that explains the distinct lack of coffee coming out, but you'd think they'd put up an out of order sign. She took my coffee order and enquired whether I wanted any food - for the usual self-serve spread was not being put out but is available on request in the dining area or served to your seat. The same for more substantive items, and from the quick glance of the menu she flashed at me, it appeared to be the same menu as the Sydney first class lounge.

I just had time to do a little work when boarding was called.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Qantas frequent flyer, Enrich Silver & HHonours
Cool

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Just returned from 3 weeks in Australia and I already miss Little Creatures Pale. (even though it cost $60 / case - Australia is expensive!)

Enjoying your trip report, thanks!
But, you get what you pay for, my favourite beer is Coopers vintage ale and that costs AU $85 For a case of 24x375 ml bottles. But once you try it , you can justify it
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MELBOURNE to WELLINGTON (MEL-WLG) on Qantas 737-800 in business

Boarding was called fairly late in the lounge, so by the time I finished up and walked over to the end of the new(ish) pier boarding was nearly completed. The couple in front of me were confused by the lack of signage for the flight and asked an agent manning a desk if they were in the right place - they were. The monitor at the gate referred to the previous flight which had left an hour ago.

Onboard I stowed my carry on and settled back. There was an empty seat beside me, one of 3 empty seats in business class on this flight. Offered water, orange juice or champagne pre-departure. Menu handed out, but one of the hot options was wrong - not that it mattered much Qantas somehow manages to select 2 hot options that are very similar (or 3 counting the replacement item) so not helpful if you don't like that type of food.

After take-off a hot towel, then breakfast. Given the arrival time of this relatively short flight is mid afternoon I expected the meal would be lunch or brunch, but no Qantas serves breakfast. To be fair so does Air NZ, although their trans-Tasman morning flights are rather earlier.

I didn't want to sleep in order to make sure my body is back on NZ time so I had some coffees while watching the few items of IFE I hadn't already seen (despite it being a new month) and reading some more reports.

We crossed the South Island near Westport, which was hidden behind cloud other than a little strip at the coast. To the left the cloud petered out at the ranges behind Golden Bay, so Farewell Spit and the Abel Tasman coastlines were easily recognisable. We descended over the Marlborough Sounds, turned right and landed towards the south slightly ahead of schedule.

Our arrival was about halfway through the bank of international flights which all arrive in Wellington around the same time. Thus immigration and customs were busy. The smartgate didn't work for me as I needed a haircut but the assistance desk processed me quickly and, as has been the case for the past year at least on arrival into New Zealand, I was directed past the x-rays.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Australia to New Zealand
January 2012

Breakfast

Orange Juice

Strawberry Energiser Drink

Warm Bakery

Entree

Seasonal Fruit Salad

Your Choice of :

Continental Breakfast

Cereal Selection
or
Brookfarm Toasted Muesli

OR

Hot Breakfast

Bacon, Mushroom and Cheese Omelette with Slow Roasted Tomatoes
or
Sauteed Field Mushrooms and Herb Creme Fraiche on Toasted Brioche with Pan Fried Bacon [not loaded, replaced with Bacon and Spinach Tart with Sauteed Field Mushrooms and Slow Roasted Tomatoes]

Beverages

Champagne

Your Flight Attendant will advise whether today's menu features Billecart-Salmon Brut or Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

Wine from Australia and New Zealand is renowned around the globe for its intensity of flavour and fine fruit characteristics. Differences in climate, topography and soil type provide us with a broad spectrum of wine styles and varietals.

For your enjoyment we have a selection of these wines onboard. Your Flight Attendant will advise you of today's selection.

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum, Puerto Rico
Bundaberg Dark Rum, Australia
Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Plymouth The Smooth English Gin, London
The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Wild Turkey 86.8º Bourbon, Kentucky
Wyborowa Polish Vodka, Poland

Beers

James Squire Golden Ale
Heineken
Victoria Bitter
Hahn Premium Light

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

Cognac

Martell VSOP

Juice Bar

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice

Non Alcoholic

Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Coca-Cola
Coke Zero
Lemonade
Lemon Squash
Sparkling Mineral Water
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Fix Coffee
High grade Rainforest Alliance, 100% Arabica Coffee

Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Experience the flavour of these fine Ceylon teas.

English Breakfast
Earl Grey
Peppermint
Chamomile
Jasmine Green

Vittoria Chocochino Hot Chocolate

Italian style drinking chocolate

J_TAS_BF_2_AUS-NZ_SPR_OCT11
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

WELLINGTON to AUCKLAND (WLG-AKL) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy, space+ seat

A day later I was back at the airport in the early evening. Due to the holidays there were few flights at this time of day, and the airline staff almost outnumbered waiting passengers. My onward connections meant I could not use a kiosk, but there was no wait for an agent. I was given only one boarding pass because apparently the computers were down for the airline of the next flight. This is no problem as I have plenty of time in Auckland to check in.

I've flown this last flight of the day from Wellington many times. Usually it is full. Usually more than half the passengers are connecting to a longhaul flight out of Auckland - Air New Zealand to London via Los Angeles, to London via Hong Kong, to Shanghai or Beijing depending on the day of week, sometimes to Osaka, China Southern to Guangzhou, Singapore Airlines to Singapore and Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur. Thus Air New Zealand always has an incentive to avoid cancelling the flight, and in the event of mechanical issues with the aircraft there is usually another one to hand in Wellington or shortly arriving there from Auckland.

I did a bit of work in the lounge until it was time to board. The boarding call in the lounge was made late, so by the time I finished up and headed for the gate there was no queue at security and boarding was well through.

The flight was very full. There was someone in my seat. It turned out he'd asked for an aisle seat but was given a window. The 2 blokes in middle and window seat were in the wrong row. Once we'd reshuffled, it was clear I'd gotten lucky again with an empty middle seat.

We pushed back early, taxiied south and then took off over the city. The usual (non-Koru Hour) snacks (vege crisps, biscuits or jet plane lollies) and drinks (water, tea or coffee). The sun set en route, and headwinds meant we landed only a few minutes early in the odd light of not yet night mixed with the glows of bright apron lights getting warmed up.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND transit

It was a nice warm evening with gentle breezes - a subtropical feel really, so I was happy to walk across to the international terminal.

There was no queue at check in, but the checking in process took nearly 30 minutes due to the agent having difficulty with getting frequent flyer numbers entered and also getting boarding passes printed. I always seem to have trouble getting my chosen frequent flyer number to stick to the booking when booking online with Singapore Airlines, with the system wanting to use my Kris Flyer/PPS number even when I do not select it. The computer system is cumbersome and if any steps of check in go wrong and require correcting the agent has to move seats in order to reprint a boarding pass. Simple, if slow, when flights are not full. Rather more difficult when flights are totally full, as tonight's one is. Eventually I am checked in with 2 boarding passes and the correct codes showing on the boarding passes to reassure me that miles should be credited to the correct programs.

Upstairs I used smartgate to go through immigration - no problem today. Security was slower than it should have been as I chose the wrong queue. The passenger in front of me who appeared to be a business traveller didn't seem to understand that in NZ the laptop and external hard drives and similar have to be taken out of carry on for the xray machine. I avoided the random explosives test and pat down and went up to the lounge, where I had a couple of hours to wait until boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.