Business Class menu
Vancouver to New York JFK
December 2011

Supper

Starter

Seasonal salad with grilled scallops and balsamic vinaigrette

Main Courses

Stir-fried pork with leeks, steamed jasmine rice, kailan and carrots

Pan-seared black cod with preserved lemon, roasted fingerling potatoes and creamy spinach with sweet corn

Shui gaw in noodle soup

Cheese and Dessert

Manchego, Brie, Cambozola

Fresh seasonal fruit

Valrhona chocolate cake and lemon mousse dome

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

888-41601J<N-J/12>

Drink List

Juices

orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water
tonic water, soda water and ginger ale
Coke Zero is now available on selected flights

Coffees

freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte
regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection : camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

826, 827, 828, 829, 830, 831, 835, 836, 838, 839, 840, 841,845,
846, 870, 872, 873, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 888, 889

Wine List

Champagne

Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic
This award winning champagne features lovely aromas and flavours of pear and citrus fruit. Layered with toasted hazelnut, honey and sweet vanilla notes, the wine is balanced by refreshing acidity with a long lingering finish. It is a perfect aperitif and goes well with delicate dishes.

White Wines

Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Chardonnay 2008
The Chardonnay grapes for this wine were carefully selected from the cooler regions of the Alexander Valley, California. The aromas of tropical fruit, baked apple notes and undertones of butterscotch and toast on the nose follow through beautifully to the palate. The crisp finish makes it a perfect match for a wide variety of cuisines.

Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009
The Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009 exhibits a vibrant personality with a scent of white flowers that mingle seductively with a peach and pear. Subtle chalkiness underlies the luscious ripe peach flavours with notes of citrus fruits. It is delicious with white meats and cheeses.

Red Wines

Estancia Pasa Robles Meritage Reserve 2007
Estancia's vineyards are located in the acclaimed appelation of Paso Robles, California. The 2007 Meritage is a rich and complex wine. It offers intense flavours of black cherries, framed by dusty tannins providing an elegant and lingering finish. This wine would perfectly complement any beef or lamb dish.

Chateau de Maison Neuve Montagne Saint-Emilion 2009
Chateau de Maison Neuve has been a family-owned estate for several generations. The 2009 vintage is a deep purple colour, full bodied and elegant with a complex bouquet. It is rich in black fruits flavours, complemented by a dense structure. It goes very well with red meat or braised dishes.

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2006
This wine is sourced from the same vineyards that in exceptional years produce Dow's renowned Vintage Ports. It is aged solely in oak casks and bottled 5 to 6 years after the harvest. It is a full rich Port with spicy fruit flavours and an elegant aromatic nose, well rounded on the palate and has the traditional Dow's drier finish. This makes it one of the finest Late Bottled Vintage Ports available.

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Gin
Rum
Vodka
Martini Rosso
Martini Extra Dry
Campari
Sweet and Dry Sherry
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas Regal 12 Years Old
Johnnie Walker Gold Label
Jack Daniel's
Canadian Club

Cognac

Hine "Rare and Delicate" Fine Champagne

Liqueures

Drambuie
Cointreau
Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

International selection

Signature Drinks

Cathay Delight
A kiwifruit based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint.

Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon.

826, 827, 828, 829, 835, 836, 838, 839, 888, 889 1-12 2011
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:17 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
I have no idea how you manage to find these itineraries restful! I'm in awe - my closest equivalent to one of your adventures was fifteen flights in about twenty four days, and I found that pretty full-on.

Nonetheless, always an enjoyable read! Looking forward to finding out where else you've been on this RTW.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
NEW YORK transit

It was a brisk -1C (30F) so I hurried up the airbridge into the terminal. I didn't have any warm clothes with me, not even a jumper. I may be mad to travel through the Northern Hemisphere winter without any winter wear, but it was a calculated madness. I had, deliberately, no planned overnight stops in cold places. I have 1 transit in a cold place where I knew I'd have to go outside, namely New York JFK, 2 transits in a cold place where I knew I'd not have to go outside, plus a couple more transits in cold places where I may or may not have to go outside depending on arrival and departure gates/stands. When I was packing just before I started the trip I checked the weather forecast and at that stage there didn't appear to be much chance of weather disruptions. So for the sake of a much lighter load to carry I opted to gamble on no cold weather clothes. At the time of writing I don't yet regret that choice.

I was first to immigration and when we arrived at 0600, it was just opening for US citizens and residents and Canadian citizens, but for the visitors (i.e. everyone else) immigration did not open until 0620. Initially there was no one manning the visitor booths and when they did turn up they all spent ages getting settled in (turning computer on, adjusting their seat, etc). Just as well I did reroute my itinerary as there is no way I'd have made the onward flight I'd originally booked after it was retimed.

Once it was my turn I was quickly through. I must have been tired as I forgot you can't just walk anywhere in USA. I was halfway to the next terminal, enjoying the brisk air by walking quickly, when the footpath ran out in a big road with no footpath on the other side. I thought briefly about crossing the road and continuing on the edge of the roadway to the next terminal, but chickened out and trudged back the way I'd come to use the airtrain.

The airtrain was about to pull out when I arrived so I didn't lose much time with the failed walking attempt.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NEW YORK JFK to SANTO DOMINGO (JFK-SDQ) on American Airlines 777-200ER in business, first seats

The terminal was busier than I expected. I went straight to premium check-in where the bouncer incorrectly directed me to the business line (my status allows first class check in). Progress in both lines was slow with the usual check in dramas of people wanting to check in their kitchen sink, people turning up 20 minutes before departure hoping to make their flight, bags that a caber tosser may struggle with, etc.

After more than 30 minutes of waiting it was my turn. Computer says no. Supervisor was sought = more waiting because she was rushing around supporting agents dealing with stressed passengers. Computer still says no. I was obviously tired and not thinking as the eventual realisation of the issue by another agent is something I knew about already - no address details had been input for my return flight to USA. Of course this isn't something US-based check in agents have to deal with too often.

That sorted it was a sluggish trip through premium security. Too many passengers with multiple bags, personal items and coats.

I headed into the flagship lounge, where I had a shower (get key at reception), caught up on some messages and posted a little of this trip report. The time until boarding flew by and I headed for the gate a little later than I'd intended. While in most of the world I like to stay in the lounge and board as late as possible, in North America I know I have to board early to make sure the overhead bin space isn't filched by some leech who can't be bothered carrying their heavy bags back to row 25 or something and instead dump them above row 2. This time, however, I needn't have bothered - boarding was at door 2L so no passengers were going past my seat.

When I had to reroute I played with schedules to come up with something that worked - i.e. remained at 16 segments on the main ticket, avoiding an overnight in New York, didn't have an unrealistic connection time at a US airport where I'd need to clear immigration. Amongst the options was Santo Domingo with the 777 on the morning flight from JFK. As I haven't previously flown in the first class suites on American Airlines I wanted to try it, and having top alliance status meant I could get a first class seat on this flight (no first class is sold), and I was able to get the ticket rerouted to achieve it.

The seat is nice enough but hardly a premium first class seat. Some features, like the space available are great. Others, like small PTVs and earbuds instead of headphones are outdated even for business class on many airlines. My inner child enjoyed swiveling the seat for a few minutes while boarding was underway.

Pre-departure drink was a choice of water, orange juice or coffee - all in plastic cups. Breakfast orders were taken while we were on the ground. A choice of cheese omelette, or sugary cereal with mixed fruit plate; both with a muffin or croissant.

We pushed back about 20 minutes late for no obvious reason. While heading out to the runway I saw another Korean Air A380 which had just landed, and the Cathay Pacific 777 I'd arrived on was departing - we followed it to the runway although went into a bay to let a Copa 737(?) past. I also saw 3 LAN aircraft which surprised me. Perhaps they had some extra flights for the season?

A watched a movie and dozed. Read a little. Chilled out.

We had good views of Hispaniola during descent - it was a nice day with scattered small cumulus creating shadows and a neat white and grey pattern as if a wallpaper were draped over the land. We flew past the city and turned 180 degrees out at sea to land from the south. We had a short wait to pull into the gate and while we were standing by an American Eagle flight from San Juan landed as did a 757 American Airlines flight from Miami.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SANTO DOMINGO transit

Coming off the airbridge I saw a sign for international transit and headed off in that direction. I was unsure whether or not there would be one - some airports in this region have it and some do not. Unfortunately it was closed and I was directed back to immigration and a US$10 tourist card for the privilege. Both the tourist card and immigration queues were quick and I was soon landside, slightly poorer and another space in the passport used up. I had a quick wander around before heading back through immigration (another stamp) and then to the Admirals Club lounge, where I enquired about switching to an earlier flight. Unfortunately they'd already processed all the upgrades and the only seats available were middle ones in economy. I opted to stay on the flight I'd booked as I figured a couple of hours later in getting to a hotel room is not that important.

The lounge was initially busy with a family of kids taking up all the computers, but soon I was the only passenger as the earlier flight commenced boarding. I had some coffee to keep awake and posted a bit more of this report, hardly noticing the lounge fill up and become noisy.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SANTO DOMINGO to MIAMI (SDQ-MIA) on American Airlines 767-300 in business

Business was less than half full, even counting the deadheading pilot and crew, so plenty of space. Pre-departure drink a choice of water or orange juice in a plastic cup.

For the first few minutes of the flight I endured blinding sun (I was in the middle seats and no one seated where the sun was coming in to pull down the blinds). Once the blinds were pulled down my drink and meal order was taken. A choice of cheese tortellini or chicken with rice, both with salad drowning in dressing, a roll and a cheesecake dessert. Plentiful drink refills all flight.

No PTV but main screen was showing some NBC programs.

We landed very early and then had to wait 10 minutes for the gate to become available. A long walk to airtrain, 2 stops to immigration and another long walk - all up about 15 minutes from gate to immigration. Well it felt long after so many hours travelling and carrying a non-wheelie bag. Immigration was a zoo, and with no aircon or fans it was also hot. It took more than 90 minutes of queuing to reach the front, and then the officer took a dislike to my wierd itinerary so I was sent to secondary. Secondary was fairly quick but by the time my shuttle turned up it was 2.5 hours since we'd landed. I was glad it only took 5 minutes instead of 30 as promised for the shuttle to arrive - the best example of under promising and over deliverying all trip and a welcome relief after so many hours travelling. Yes I was hot, tired and grumpy by now, and feeling distinctly unseasonal.

Finally I leave the airport, but only just as my hotel was just around the other side of the airport.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NEW YORK JFK to SANTO DOMINGO (JFK-SDQ) on American Airlines 777-200ER in business, first seats

The seat is nice enough but hardly a premium first class seat. Some features, like the space available are great. Others, like small PTVs and earbuds instead of headphones are outdated even for business class on many airlines.
Nice report Kiwi Flyer. Did they not hand out the BOSE headsets on this route?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Nice report Kiwi Flyer. Did they not hand out the BOSE headsets on this route?
No. The latest little glitch is a failure to issue onward boarding pass for the flight after next, which means I have a couple of hours landside at the next airport. Long enough to be a pain. Not long enough to go anywhere. The excuse given was it was a different airline. Yes it is, but an alliance is supposed to make things easier for travellers. Sigh.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MIAMI to SINT MAARTEN (MIA-SXM) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

Check in was quick - only 1 boarding pass today for the first time in a long time. No queue at security and I was also able to avoid the nudeoscope. I walked to the D30 Admirals Club lounge despite the signs suggesting to take the airtrain - it is only 5 gates from security.

The lounge bouncers required photo id to enter, citing "security". What a load of bollox. I'm already airside having just passed through security. I made my way to a computer and did a bit of work while waiting for boarding time. The time on the boarding pass was ridiculously early, so notwithstanding my usual practice of wanting to board early I did leave the lounge later than the time printed despite the gate being 10 gates away.

The flight was totally full and it appears there was only 1 upgrade given.

No pre-departure drink. After take-off there was a hot towel, nuts, drink, and arrival cards handed out. The flight attendants and one or two passengers had pasta, but for most it was a choice of chicken or none.

There were great views of the Bahamas as the sun set. Otherwise too dark to see anything until close to landing. We arrived on time and immigration was a breeze.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINT MAARTEN (SXM-MIA) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

A few days later I was back at the airport checking in for my next couple of flights. It took longer than it should, not because of any queue (there were none), but because the check in agent insisted I needed a visa for USA.

I pointed out that I'd just been to USA a few days prior and didn't need a visa then. No movement - I must have a visa or I won't be allowed to check in.

She wouldn't take up my suggestion to look it up on the computer. For some countries I have a habit of printing out the immigration requirements from Timatic in order to assist confused or unknowledgable staff. However I've never bothered with one for USA as I thought it would be so well known that visas aren't required for me.

Just as I started wondering my next step - perhaps a phone call to AA, the agent suddenly gave in without a word and issued me with 2 boarding passes.

Immigration and security were both quick. There is no included lounge here, only a pay per use one ($20 - which didn't seem worth it given the short time and limited amenities listed on the door). So I grabbed a quiet spot in front of the big windows and watched some cruise ships go by headed for port for a day visit to the island, as well as some yachts and various aircraft. The terminal was fairly noisy due to the volume on the tvs which are spaced at regular intervals. It reminded me of Narita airport, where it is also hard to escape noise of tvs (and also the endless "the end of the walk is ahead" messages).

The flight was under 50% full so plenty of space and we also pushed back early. A pre-departure drink of water, orange juice or coffee.

Brief views of the island, and Anguilla as we turned sharply over the lagoon and headed out over the Caribbean Sea.

Breakfast was a fruit pottle with syrupy juice, a croissant, sugary cereal with milk.

I read and dozed to catch up on some sleep. We landed early and despite a long taxi and brief wait for our gate we still arrived some 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Okay I have a bit of time to post the next instalments. When the alarms just went off I thought we were in for a terminal dump, but the alarm switched off and we weren't asked to leave the lounge.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MIAMI transit

There was a very small queue at immigration so my usual "trick" of queuing at line 28 was not needed. Line 28 is the far left lane for non-Americans, and once past a pillar opens up into several booths (although they may not all be manned) which cannot be reached other than through the diplomat line 36 (which is usually guarded) or line 28. As long as there is at least one booth open behind the pillar, line 28 is almost guaranteed to move faster than the other lines.

No queue at customs either, so within 15 minutes of landing I was landside. I checked out E security checkpoint, which is near where you come out from arrivals (but up one level) but as the nudeoscopes were operating I continued on to D security checkpoint where the nudeoscopes were not currently being used. The queue was slightly longer but a couple of minutes is a small price to pay.

Back to the lounge for a shower and then some work while I waited for my flight. I had a long transit. The original booking had a couple of hours but schedule changes after ticketing reduced that to a little over an hour. I didn't think that was safe, with a high chance of misconnecting, and so when I reticketed for the reroute to Santo Domingo I also switched to the earlier flight from Sint Maarten.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

really great trip report, thanks
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MIAMI to PANAMA CITY, PANAMA (MIA-PTY) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

The gate was just around the corner from the lounge, and I'd checked that the flight was not very full, so I left the lounge fairly late. Boarding was completed very early, or so I thought.

Pre-departure drink of water, orange juice or sparkling wine (described as champagne but I'm sure it wasn't). I made the mistake of choosing the "champagne" - 1 sip was all I could take.

After several minutes 2 passengers turned up. The flight attendants were chatting in the galley. Apparently we were still waiting for two more passengers who had checked in at Miami but somehow not made it to the gate. A few minutes passed. Then the doors closed and we pushed back 5 minutes early. The 2 missing passengers had no checked bags and the gate agent had decided to cut them no more slack.

The aircraft was new. Seats were the same, but with a little legroom it seemed. Different overhead bins and panel (air vent and lights). I again had an empty seat alongside me, for the 6th of 8 possible flights (for the other 3 flights I was seated in both aisle and window simultaneously).

I struggled to stay awake for the safety video (and later, dinner). The plastic cups were collected rather late as the flight attendants were yakking. We were almost through taxiing before they were picked up.

After take-off immigration forms were handed out and about 20 minutes later the customs form. I guess those had gotten misplaced. Meal orders, a choice between steak or fish (halibut), and drink orders were taken.

We had good views of lights of Miami for the first few minutes then darkness until close to Panama City.

Service was quick - the flight attendants rushed through everything in the first hour or so and then spent the rest of the flight talking in the galley.

First, a drink in nice big glasses (yes I was given 2 drinks without asking) with nuts. Actually difficult to fit all this on the little drinks tray, so I utilised the tray from the adjacent seat. A glass was dropped in the galley.

Second, a large plate of salad, with our own mini bottle of balsamic dressing to add to our own taste. Bread a choice of white or cheese bread. No drink refill. Despite being the first served and eating much faster than I usually do, I was last in the cabin to finish this course and have the plate removed.

Third, the mains. No drink refill until after all other passenger's mains plates were removed (I was still going). Another glass was dropped. This time by my seat.

Fourth, dessert - icecream (vanilla with chocolate crunch) and nuts. Almost a classic sundae but missing the sauce and cream.

By the time I finished the flight attendants were talking up a storm and so it took a while for my tray to be cleared. Unsure whether they would come by offering drinks again I asked for another at this time.

I read some reports and tried unsuccessfully to doze. I was pretty tired having gotten no sleep the night before, but couldn't manage any onboard.

We landed early but spent 15 minutes waiting for our gate to become free and so ended up on time. Immigration was a short walk away. There was a very short queue and little wait. They glanced at my passport, stamped on the observations page and I was on my way. All bags are x-rayed at customs. Despite only one machine being in use this didn't take long and within 2 minutes of doors open I was landside.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PANAMA CITY, PANAMA to MIAMI (PTY-MIA) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

A few days later and I was back to the airport to resume flying. I arrived quite early as I had some work to do. The economy line was long and slow moving. The business/premium line was short but not moving at all. A couple were checking in some dogs and a cat and it was taking an age. The agent on the second business/premium check in desk seemed to be typing a lot but was not processing any passengers. Eventually one of the economy check in agents started dealing with business/premium passengers.

I was quickly given a boarding pass and immigration form. I asked to be checked in for the onward flight but was told they couldn't because it was another airline. Ummm, isn't that supposed to be a benefit of an alliance? I quietly pleaded but to no avail. Crud. My next transit is moderately long and I'd planned to get a decent chunk of work done in the lounge but now I'd have to hang around landside waiting for local check in to open.

Immigration and security were quick. I had the first pat-down of the trip though. WTMD alarm didn't go off so I'm not sure why I got special treatment.

A short walk to the lounge. I hopped onto a computer and tried OLCI'ing for the next flight. Unfortunately the airline's website redirected me to AA.com, which advised I was already checked in (for the Panama to Miami flight) and didn't offer options to check in any other flight. Crud - 2nd attempt failed. On some other airlines, like Singapore Airlines, you can OLCI even if there is a prior flight(s) on another airline as long as you've been checked in to that other flight(s). Some other logic, such as only after departure or landing of the prior flights, seems to be at play here.

I grabbed a juice to try to shake the cobwebs off, for again I was rather tired on little sleep, and have a very long day ahead.

I boarded quite late, just 15 minutes to departure, as I thought the flight wasn't too full. For the first time in my 4 flights to USA on this trip I had my bag searched at the airbridge. I guess boarding early the other flights avoided this.

When I entered the aircraft there was someone in my seat but it turned out she had the window instead of my aisle seat. Just as well as the aircraft was totally full.

Pre-departure drink was water or orange juice. A short flight time was announced.

After takeoff a hot towel, meal and drink orders were taken. Breakfast was a choice of omelette or yoghurt & granola. When the meals came to be served my seat mate was informed that the printout was incorrect and the hot meal is actually scrambled eggs (plus lots of chorizzo and what appeared to be an empanada). The continental meal turned out to be some yoghurt and a teaspoon of cereal. Both meal options came with croissant with added butter (eek!) and a fruit plate.

After I'd eaten I tried reading but fell asleep, waking with the descent announcements. We arrived slightly early at a 40s gate. So this trip I've now had Miami gates in the 10s, 20s, 30s and 40s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.