Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The formalities took just a few seconds and thankfully the stamp was on a used page rather than a blank one in my passport.
Nice report so far Kiwi Flyer.

On my last entry into the US the agent seemed to be consciously looking for somewhere other than a blank page to stamp my passport. I went with a 64 page Aussie passport this time as my previous one was full before the time ran out. This one is half way through its life and is already half full. I was impressed that he managed to squeeze the US stamp in the top corner of a page. I almost thanked him.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Moomba
On my last entry into the US the agent seemed to be consciously looking for somewhere other than a blank page to stamp my passport. I went with a 64 page Aussie passport this time as my previous one was full before the time ran out. This one is half way through its life and is already half full. I was impressed that he managed to squeeze the US stamp in the top corner of a page. I almost thanked him.
I make a point of thanking immigration officers that do that, to reinforce good habits.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SAN FRANCISCO to FRANKFURT (SFO-FRA) on Lufthansa 747-400 in first class

When Lufthansa announced the A380 was coming to San Francisco I was excited at the prospect of trying out first class on my already booked flight. Unfortunately I missed the start of service on the route by a couple of weeks so another new A380 F experience will have to wait (see my comparison of Emirates, Qantas and Singapore A380 first class).

By the time I reached the gate boarding was underway so I strolled right up to the premium door (there was another for economy), got my boarding pass scanned and went on. I was slightly surprised the barcode on the boarding pass worked despite being generated by Air NZ. It doesn't work anywhere near as seamlessly on Oneworld and I'm often having to get boarding passes reprinted at the gate or manually boarded.

I made my way upstairs to my preferred seat in row 83 (exit row). Lufthansa is modifying every second seat in 747 first class to introduce a bed and in the interim they have blocked out half the seats - only 8 are available for sale/award/upgrades. I knew the chances of getting a refitted aircraft was low but I couldn't help hoping. It wasn't to be - normal seats.

With only a maximum of 8 passengers there is plenty of room to stow my carry on. Before I'm even settled in a cabin attendant brings a bottle of bubbly to me to pour a glass. Have I flown with her before? Or perhaps it is on my PNR or profile? It wouldn't surprise me if the LH angels have made a special note.

First drink sorted (I like this priority), I was then offered nuts, a newspaper, a refill, pajamas, slippers, Rimowa amenity kit, another refill, more nuts, and a menu. Ahh bliss. Plenty of room. Good crew to passenger ratio, and very attentive (so far). Very quiet and tranquil. This is shaping up to be a fantastic flight despite the ancient hardware (seat and IFE).

We departed on time and while I was still idly watching the world go by out the window we quietly ceased the initial climb and I was soon given a fresh glass.

With two seats I popped up both personal tvs so I could watch a movie in one while having flight path displayed on the other. But much of the first few hours I was transfixed by the scenery outside.

As our departure time was fairly early and I wasn't yet too tired I decided to indulge in the long slow meal service. On late night departures the slow service in Lufthansa first class annoys me as I wish to eat and get to sleep quickly. Today I took my time. Washing the tasty food down with some nice wines. Letting the food digest. Watching movies and drinking some more. By the time I finished we were nearing Greenland. Oops, I better get some sleep but not before spending a penny.

A bugbear of mine is that so many airlines have bathroom towels above the tissues, so the tissues often get wet with splashes. Usually this occurs onboard. Some airlines take it a step further and also do it in lounge bathrooms. Lufthansa is one of the airlines with this poor design. It really wouldn't take much to fix and saves spoiling the tissues. Another bugbear are airlines which don't have cloth towels in premium cabin bathrooms, which then can be used as a face cloth or to dry hands. Lufthansa has paper towels. Air New Zealand used to have cloth towels but I'd noticed on the flight up to San Francisco that they have switched to paper. Sigh.

I drifted off somewhere near Iceland but didn't sleep well. When asked early in the flight if I wished to be woken for breakfast I said no, but I'll eat if I'm awake. I woke up before breakfast service commenced. I'm not sure why but the usual breakfast menu was not offered to me. Perhaps it wasn't loaded this flight as I didn't see any other passengers get one either?

We had great views over Europe - a lovely fine spring day. We landed early but then waited on the apron for a short while for the aircraft at our gate in the C part of the terminal to pull out. Despite this we still arrived early.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
First Class menu
San Francisco to Frankfurt
April 2011

Cuisine

Choice of Hors d’oeuvres

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes

Seared Tuna with Ajo Blanco, roasted Grapes

Chicken Ropa Vieja, Hearts of Palm, pickled Onions

Pickled Artichoke Escabeche, Grapefruit, Fennel

Salad

Seasonal Salad with black Olives and yellow Capsicum
presented with delicious Dressing

Choice of Main Courses

Tenderloin of Beef served with Chimichurri, Parsnip Puree and Garlic Potatoes

Braised Salmon, Pepper and Tomato Sofrito Stew

Pan braised Chicken Thighs with Chistorra Sausage, Garbanzo Beans, Tomato

Roasted Vegetable with spiced Cheese Gratin

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Brie, herbed Goat Cheese, Morbier, Gruyere and Roquefort Cheese

Caramelized Pineapple served with Coffee flavoured whipped Cream and Coconut Ice Cream

Cuban Coffe Cortadito Flan with Orange Mint Chiffonade

LH 439,441,455, 457, 463, 465, 467, 491 03/11-04/11

Vinothek

Champagne

“Allegra”, Champagne Jacquart, Frankreich
600 growers owning 800 hectares of their own vineyards in the Montagne de Reims, Cote de Blancs and Vallee de la Marne have joined together under the name Jacquart. This guarantees a broad selection of 130 Crus, of which 10 are classified as Grand Cru and 22 as Premier Cru, allowing the winemaker to compose authentic cuvees. It is no wonder that Jacquart Champagne was served at the award ceremony for the Noble Prize in Stockholm. The Jacquart success story is continued with Cuvee Allegra, which is made up of more than half pinot noir and white chardonnay grapes. This is Champagne which dazzles with its elegant fruit and fine mineral notes. It promises a pleasurable experience, not just as an aperitif but also when served with elegant shellfish, light fish dishes and caviar.

Monthly Proposal

2005 "Astrales" Ribera del Duero, Bodegas Los Astrales, Spanien
The Duero, which traverses the Iberian Peninsula, is the wine river par excellence. In Portugal, it is known as the Duoro and is famous for great port wines, while in Spain numerous top wines are produced on its banks. The best come from the region Ribera del Duero, which is named after the river. The Romans were the first to recognise the potential of this wine region and later the church and nobility continued the wine-growing tradition. The conditions are ideal : the climate is dry with only about 450mm of rain in the course of a year. In return, there are 2350 hours of sunshine. The marked difference between day and night-time temperatures is most advantageous for the grapes as these fluctuations allow them to become more aromatic. Although the wine-producing region Ribera del Duero is one of the most famous in Spain, true discoveries are still possible here. One of these is the Romera de la Cruz family, in the third generation, who produce wines from well-known vineyard sites, one of which is Los Astrales. Along with Eduardo and Alberto Garica, the Romera de la Cruz family has set real standards. Astrales, made from tinto fino, is an intense purple red colour with violet reflexes and a black core. The bouquet is characterised by rich aromas of dark berry fruit, preserved figs and fine oak spiciness as well as touches of vanilla, chocolate and toasty notes. On the palate the wine is most pleasing with its superb fruit, subtle touch of oak and persistent finish.

Aperitif

Campari
A red mild bitters-type cordial.

Sherry Amontillado Hidalgo
Amber-coloured, off-dry sherry, elegant and mile, with an added, subtle residual sweetness that gently flatters the palate.

White Wine

2009 Jesuitengarten Riesling Grosses Gewachs, Weingut Bassermann-Jordan, Deutschland
The Basserman-Jordan family has always invested in the best vineyards, like the Jesuitengarten in Forst. Quality and sustainable viticulture are also important to the present-day owner, Achim Niederberger. This includes, for example, turning to organic methods of production : preventative pest management using natural preparations as well as more and more work by hand. This allows a rich biodiversity of flora and fauna to establish, which helps our efforts to produce natural, sustainable wines. This effort and care can be tasted in the glass, expressed as fine, mineral notes, juicy peach and apricot fruit aromas veering almost to the exotic, as well as a pleasing, fresh and yet full taste.

2007 Chateau de Rully, Rully Premier Cru, Antonin Rodet, Frankreich
The Cote Chalonnaise adjoins the Cote de Beaune to the south and the style of the wines produced here is very similar to that of its more famous neighbour in the north. The chalky soil mixed with clay provides ideal growing conditions and the more continental-influenced climate allows for a slow ripening period. Later, the classic maturation in pieces, the small Burgundian oak barrels, also contributes to the success of these complex wines. This gives a wine like the 2007 vintage which is showing an elegant maturity. It has aromas of ripe citrus fruit, juicy pears and a touch of toastiness as well as a juicy, creamy palate. This is a wine of intensity and great length.

2010 "Pierneef Collection" organically grown Sauvignon Blanc, La Motte, Sudafrika
Hanneli and Hein Koegelenberg have taken the former traditional wine estate La Motte in Franschhoek to new heights. With their wines they are deliberately going the way of individuality and quality. They have dedicated their best sauvignon blanc, produced according to the principles of organic wine production, to the famous South African artist, Pierneef. This is a aromatic wine with hints of grapefruit, citrus fruit and elegant, mineral notes. The tremendous freshness and minerality as well as the lively acidity on the palate point stylistically to a classic Sancerre, which makes this sauvignon blanc a real moreish pleasure.

Red Wine

2004 Chateau Dassault, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classe, Frankreich
The name Dassault stands for perfection, not only of aircraft, but also wine-making. Laurence Brun makes no compromises when running the wine estate she purchased in 1955 from the legendary aircraft producer Marcel Dassault. Thanks to labourious hand harvesting and strict selection of the merlot, cabernet franc and cabernet sauvignon grapes, she ensures that the quality of the terrior comes to the fore. Finally maturation in barrique rounds off the character of the wine, which shows intense berry fruit with hints of vanilla and toastiness, as well as elegant weight and a mineral character on the palate.

2006 Zweigelt Reserve, Thermenregion, Weingut Aumann, Osterreich
The Thermenregion, south of Vienna, is worth discovering as a true wine revolution is happening here. The days of simple wines suitable just for serving in the typical Austrian wine taverns are gone. Today wine producers are increasingly going for quality, and this includes the Aumann wine estate. This Zweigelt Reserve is the product of an outstanding vintage and was matured in new French oak barriques. It shows an intense spiciness, fine balsamic notes, aromas of vanilla and toast as well as rich, dark berry fruit. On the palate the silky tannins as well as excellent, aromatic length shows Austria's potential for quality.

Dessert Wine

2009 Oberrotweiler Kasleberg Kerner Auslese, WG Oberrotweil, Deutschland
The grape variety Kerner was created as a crossing between the red variety trollinger and the white variety riesling in 1929 in Wurttemberg and was named after the Swabian poet Justinus Kerner. Although often found in its homeland of Wurttemberg, it is an unusual variety to find in the Kaiserstuhl in Baden. This is rather astonishing when you taste the quality of this Auslese dessert wine which is most flattering with its elegant aromas of orange, candied fruit and orange blossom.

Monthly Proposal

Schwabischer Whisky aus Bio-Alb-Dinkel, Bosch Edelbrand, Deutschland
Whether in Bavaria, Franconia or Wurttemberg, whisky is one of German distillers' new discoveries. Often produced from regional types of grain, the whiskies have their own unique character. The panoply of aromas stretches from mild to malty and there is also a huge array of appealing flavours. The Bosch distillery in the Lenning valley produces its whisky from organic spelt, which is grown on the Swabian Alps. For the Boschs it is taken for granted that they use only the best raw materials. The character of the landscape reveals itself in the finished product which shimmers amber in the glass and which shows an elegant, subtle malty bouquet, as well as delicate sweetness and restrained smoky notes on the palate.

Spirits

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7
Jack Daniel's gives a smooth taste with hints of caramel, vanilla and almond notes and a touch of fruitiness.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Blue Label is a blend of 16 years old whiskies with an opulent bouquet and the typical peaty character.

Bushmills Malt 10 Years old
This classic is triple distilled and has typical aromas of vanilla, malt and a touch of honeyed sweetness.

Smirnoff Red Vodka
In order to achieve its extraordinary purity, this vodka is triple distilled and filtered ten times.

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
The secret ten ingredients of this gin are giving him an aromatic character.

Cognac Lhéraud Cuvée 30
The cognacs to be found in the distillery's "paradise" blended together to create the outstanding Cuvee 30.

Calvados Pays d’Auge AC, Daron
A fascinating spirit with clear apple fruit and a touch of pear and vanilla.

Fernet Branca
Around 40 herbs and spices form the base of Fernet Branca, including gentian and elderflower.

Tequila
Exclusively on flights to and from Mexico.

Walcher Williams Exclusiv
The Walcher family produces delightful fruit brandies with juicy, long-lasting flavour.

Etter Kirsch
Made from the Swiss “Lauerz” cherries, full-bodied, aromatic and refined.

Liqueur and Port

Baileys Irish Cream
This is a true classic from Ireland with fresh Irish cream, Irish whisky, chocolate, caramel and vanilla.

Late Bottled Vintage Port, Niepoort
An elegant, stylish port with intense berry fruit, aromas of plums and touch of chocolate.

Cold Beverages

Mineral water
Apollinaris, sparkling natural mineral water
Vio, natural mineral water

Fruit juices
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Orange Juice

Soft Drinks
Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero, Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water, Kinley Bitter Lemon, Kinley Ginger Ale

German Beer
Warsteiner Premium Verum
Warsteiner Premium alkoholfrei
Erdinger Weißbier

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Kaffee
Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands

Nespreso Espresso und Cappuccino, 3 Grands Crus des Kaffees
Ristetto : A short, full-bodied and intense Espresso with a pleasantly lingering taste.
Volluto : A lightly roasted blend with a subtle, yet present body and hints of biscuit, redolent of cereal, enhanced by a touch of acidity and a fresh and light fruitiness.
Decaffeinato : This is a light and delicate decaffeinated variety which strikes a good balance between mildness and acidity.

Masala Tee
Exclusively on flights to and from India

Eilles Teespezialitäten

Darjeeling Royal First Flush Blatt
Harvested in springtime in the best tea gardens of the Himilayan foothills, this superior quality shows a lot of white leaf toips after the winter’s rest in Northern India. Its aroma is crisp and fresh, reminiscent of lilies of the valley, its color pale orange.

Earl Grey Premium Blatt
A blend of Darjeeling, Ceylon and Chinese teas enhanced by aromatic oil from the finest bergamot fruit. A classic, copper-red in the cup, especially enjoyable with pastries and cake.

Yogi Tee Grune Harmonie Bio
Two time-honoured traditions of the Far East harmoniously come together in this green-tea blend with kombucha, the elixir of life. Hints of lemongrass and peppermint create a revitalizing taste sensation.

Pfefferminz Tee
Select, finely-cut peppermint leaves to renew and refresh the entire body. Enjoyment for mind, body and soul.

Rooibos Lemon Fresh
Lemongrass and the aroma of sun-ripened lemons give this smooth rooibos from South Africa its cooling touch. A refreshing, caffeine-free indulgence!

Yogi Tee Himmlischer Gluckstee Bio
An ayurvedic blend of spices and herbs based on the ancient Indian wisdom of life. It has a pleasant taste and is a benefit for your body, mind and soul. A composition containing cinnamon, ginger, hops, lavender, aniseed, basil, pepper and cardamom. All ingredients are organic. Cheerful placidity is the most beautiful spiritual condition.

03/04-2011

[There was no printed menu for breakfast, however I have typed up my notes in the style of a menu.]

Breakfast

Cold and hot Specialty

Freshly squeezed Orange Juice

Fresh Fruit

Yogurt with dried Fruit, Granola, Cornflakes and Milk

Selection of Cold Cuts and Salmon

Selection of Cheeses

Scrambled Eggs freshly prepared upon your Request with your Choice of Bacon or Chives
Old May 7, 2011, 2:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay. I hope to have some more written up this week.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Frankfurt transit

I had a lengthy transit, but unfortunately also a lot of work to do so off to the first class terminal/lounge.

I pondered which of the 3 options to go for - the first class terminal, the first class lounge in B non-schengen, or the first class lounge in A schengen. I've visited all three and they are much of a muchness except security and immigration implications differ depending on which one I use.

I'd arrived in C (non-schengen zone) and would be departing from schengen zone. It was too far ahead of my onward flight to determine if the gate would be in B or in A. I remembered being able to walk between C and B non-schengen without needing to go through security or immigration so I decided to head for the B non-schengen lounge first. With our gate at the far end of C I had a long walk ahead of me.

Unfortunately the layout had changed in the several months since my last visit to Frankfurt and there was no obvious way to avoid a security checkpoint between C & B. Rats. If I'd known I would have skipped this lounge and gone to one of the others. Since I'd walked this far and was now fairly close to the B lounge I decided to go through.

At the entrance to the checkpoint I was asked for my onward boarding pass. I didn't have one and didn't relish the idea of trying to find a transfer desk in this warren so I opted to brazen my way through. It worked and I got past the first bouncer. Unfortunately her colleague manning the adjacent line and standing slightly behind her had her back turned and didn't notice I'd been cleared to proceed so I was again asked for an onward boarding pass. I said I'd already been checked and walked on by.

What a pointless process (same applies in USA and elsewhere) and so effective. I'm so glad that New Zealand and Australia airport security do not take this step and waste everyone's time.

There were two lines open and I lucked out in line lotto. First there was a delay for the passenger in front of me who had some mental issues and it took his minder a considerable effort to get him through the WTMD. I was quickly through. Then a long wait while the security agent manning the x-ray decided it was time to take a break despite no other security staff being available to take over. Several minutes later another agent appeared, manned the x-ray for a minute (long enough to process 2 bags) and also left. Another wait, this time for a third agent. Then the same again - process a couple of bags and then disappear. For expletive deleted sake!

Even though I had plenty of time I was getting rather annoyed. My carry on was effectively held captive by the vanishing security staff. I started wondering what would happen if I went around the back to press the button to allow bags to move through.

Finally after about 20 minutes my bag appeared. By now there were lots of passengers milling around. I hope none of them had flights they missed.

Once inside the lounge I showed the credentials allowing me to access (i.e. the boarding pass of my arriving flight) and asked for the boarding pass of my onward flight. I was given 4 boading passes and was told my next flight is departing from A. Of course it is - about as far from my arriving gate as it is possible to get.

After freshening up I grabbed a room, a drink and settled down to work. After a while I opted for a short break and to stretch my legs again by relocating to the lounge in A. Immigration was a breeze at this time of day. Unfortunately I goofed by going the wrong way and ended up landside near check in and thus I had to go through security again. This one was much more efficient.

I walked up to gate 26 and the first class lounge upstairs. Inside I was told there was no car and no calls for flights. I was told to allow 20 minutes to get to gate 1 but it had only taken me 7 minutes walking past it to reach the lounge. The agent confirmed my suspicions that gate 1 is a bus gate. Oh well, at least I got an airbridge for one of my flights.

Some more drinks and some more work, and before long (it seemed) it was 20 minutes to departure and time to scramble.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT to TALLINN (FRA-TLL) on Lufthansa A319 in business class

I raced to the gate and managed to just avoid being paged or worse yet denied boarding, being one of the last passengers onto the bus. Our remote stand was only moderately distant - some of the ones at Frankfurt it feels like you will be driving to your destination but not today.

The business to economy curtain today was behind row 3 and I was one of two passengers in business class. The seats are different to those I'd previously experienced on Lufthansa intra-Europe business class. Gone is the table for the middle seat which comes down from the seatback. Some minor fittings were different as was the tray table behind the seat in front. Legroom felt slightly smaller but still okay - not as good as space plus economy on Air New Zealand for example, but better than the legroom down the back of the aircraft.

Doors were soon shut and we departed a few minutes early. I was busy working on some reports, but managed to have some drinks and nibbled at the food offering. Not sure if it is meant to be lunch or dinner - our flight is in between both times of day.

Some nice views along the Baltic coast and especially on approach. It looked very pretty, and bursting into spring - that is apart from the ice in the lakes and sheltered bays and small piles of snow in corners of the airport.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
Business Class menu
Frankfurt to Tallinn
April 2011

Menu

These are the creations awaiting you on board today.

Cajun Breast of Guinea Fowl, Sweet Potato Salad with Macadamia Oil and Mango/Ginger Chutney, Tilapia with Shell Fish Tarragon Sauce, as well as Mascarpone Creme with two Fruit Sauces and Macadamia Cookie.

CCD-D

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 2:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tallinn in transit

I had several hours until my next flight, so after checking in to save time later I grabbed a cab for the short trip into town.

The old part of town is very compact and easily walkable centred around a very modest hill. It is quite pretty. Being a holiday, and early evening, the streets were fairly empty.

My time was shortish and as I headed back to the airport I wondered if I was doing the right thing.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TALLINN to RIGA (TLL-RIX) on Air Baltic Fokker 50 in economy class

Originally I didn't plan on this flight since I had so little time in this part of the world. However some weeks back I decided that while I was in the neighbourhood so to speak it would be a shame to bypass an opportunity to fly a new airline and visit a new place, albeit only briefly.

I arrived back at the airport when boarding was underway. Fortunately no queue at security and the small airport terminal means I was at the gate within a minute. A short brisk walk outside in the rapidly cooling night air and then up the stairs into the aircraft.

The effects of walking around this afternoon and two days of travel on little sleep finally got to me and I dropped off shortly after sitting down and belting up. I was awoken when we landed about 30 minutes later.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Riga

Thanks to our early arrival I had about an hour to fill before the next flight. I briefly thought about heading into town but a few steps outside the terminal convinced me that I'd need to have warmer clothing than the light shirt I was wearing. Besides which, I'd be risking getting stuck here overnight and throwing the rest of my schedule out of kilter.

I loitered for a while, sucking in the crisp air and enjoying the twinkling lights before heading back inside. At least the brief interlude kept me from falling asleep during the transit. I wandered around landside and then headed through security to wander around airside. Shortly thereafter it was time to board.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

RIGA to TALLINN (RIX-TLL) on Air Baltic Fokker 50 in economy class

A few more gulps of cold night air on the way onboard. I was sufficiently awake to see the lights of Riga after takeoff. It is also a fairly small city but looked to be quite a bit bigger than Tallinn.

I was lost in my own world of deep thought and the flight went by in a blur. The clock past midnight into whatever day it was. There is something about short late night flights that makes me either sleepy or thoughtful. Time seems to stand still and yet we are landing just minutes after we departed. Maybe there is some warp in space-time aboard late night flights? Or perhaps my lack of sleep is calling?
Old May 11, 2011, 1:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tallinn

A quick cab ride to my hotel. Check in. Bed. Wake up call a few hours later. Check out. Cab back to the airport.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TALLINN to MUNICH (TLL-MUC) on Lufthansa A319 in business class

Since I already had boarding passes for the next 3 flights I walked past check in to security and was airside very quickly. Boarding hadn't yet started so I found the contract lounge (called lakeside or something like that) and once inside went upstairs to use the computer to deal with some messages. Boarding was soon called.

By the time I reached the gate boarding had almost completed. The load was light and doors closed early. A brief wait for deicing and we were off.

Stunning views of the city and vicinity on take off. A light breakfast was offered which I declined other than a juice and then dropped off to sleep.

We'd made good time and landed quite early. As we taxiied to our stand I saw a few longhaul aircraft - I wonder which one will be my next bed? We all fitted into a single bus and were soon at the terminal.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Munich in transit

A bit of a walk from the bus gate to the first class lounge. When I arrived there were quite a few people "checking in" to the lounge but with a large staff complement I was attended to within a minute. I handed over my passport and she worked out I'd been here before. I was upstairs in the main part of the lounge before the other passengers had moved.

I used the bathroom to freshen up and then grabbed a room, some drinks and set to work. I had a longish transit. When I booked the trip I had in mind to head into the city. However, with a mountain of work to do I shut myself away (apart from trips to the bar and buffet table from time to time) and managed to achieve a lot without the usual interruptions and distractions.

I even managed to stay reasonably awake.

Time flew and it didn't seem long when it was time to collect my passport and head for the gate. Rats - the immigration officer has stamped on a blank page instead of a used one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.