Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates

A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates

Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:06 am

You seem to have little regard for whatever bubbles is on offer. I thought all that various tasting and what not you would have some discretion to drink the decent drops from the drain cleaners!

You also regularly report that EK premium cabins are close to full. That's obviously testament to their actual premium performance both on short flights (e.g. Trans-Tasman) as well as long ones (e.g. to/from Dubai).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
I wasn't in a hurry to leave the lounge since our gate was at the end of pier B (to make use of the dual airbridge) so Emirates always makes an announcement quite early to allow lounge passengers to walk all that distance. I walk fast so figured I had plenty of time for another drink.

On the way out to the gate I admired the view from the passageway windows. The A380 looked huge alongside a Pacific Blue 737-800 in the adjacent gate and a Qantas 737-400 which was pulling in next to the other 737. I raced many of the passengers and the Qantas aircraft and arrived at the gate just as boarding commenced. A long line of passengers in the first and business line were made to switch to the very long other queue - no economy passengers in this line. It looked like the whole aircraft would be full today, but in the end there were 2 empty seats in first class.

At the gate I was wished a happy birthday-to-be. I was quickly settled into my suite and watching a movie - by now I knew exactly what was on offer and what I wanted to see. Bubbles offered and accepted. Nuts in a bowl. Slippers, mask, menu handed out. A drink top up. Hot towel to refresh. Date and arabic coffee. Immigration and express arrivals cards for Australia. Ahh this is the life.

Our flight time today was short at 2 hours 45 minutes due to a lack of the usual headwinds. After take off there were more drinks, meal order taken, more drinks.

There was a slip in service for the first time in my recent flying on Emirates. My main was given before the soup. Instead of taking away the main, which would be the response on the likes of Singapore Airlines, Qantas or Air NZ, it was left on the table. A few minutes later the soup arrived and I had to shuffle plates around while being careful not to make a big mess. I made a mess a couple of sub-trips ago and didn't want a repeat or worse a lap full of soup.

Once I negotiated that and had the soup, the main of course was cold so I had to ask for a new one. Fortunately Emirates stocks plenty of food options and plenty of servings of each, even on short flights such as this there was a choice of 5 mains. The mixup meant I got more frequent glass top-ups for the rest of the flight than I suspect I would otherwise have gotten.

As stimpy posted elsewhere on FT, the Fenton Road Pinot Noir was far too young and could do with a couple more years cellaring. It certainly didn't live up to the tasting notes in the menu.

An hour before arrival the Australian immigration/customs video was forcibly played over whatever you were watching. As I've seen and heard this hundreds of times over the years, and in any event was not going to be entering Australia, I thought it was a good time for a few minutes of shut-eye.

Some minor turbulence woke me up. There was very low cloud in Sydney. Approaching from the north we couldn't see the harbour bridge at all. It was then I noticed I still had 3 glasses on the side table - they had not been collected. I placed them in the cubby hole that latches shut to the side of the seat so they couldn't cause any harm, and wrapped them in the napkin and table cloth (which also hadn't been cleared away) so they wouldn't break either.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Emirates
First Class menu
Auckland to Sydney
January 2011

Bar Service

Aperitifs

Campari - Campari Bitter, Vermouth Sweet/Dry - Martini, Sweet Sherry - Harvey's Bristol Cream, Dry Sherry - Tio Pepe

Beers

A selection of international beers including Heineken, Budweiser and Amstel Light

Cocktails

Black Russian, Bloody Mary, Bucks Fizz, Champagne Cocktail, Cosmopolitan (US routes), Fantasy Island, Kir Royal, Manhattan, Martini Cocktail Classic, Screwdriver, Vodka Martini

Mocktails

Jumeirah Delight

Spirits

Premium Scotch Whisky - Chivas Regal Royal Salute, Single Malt Whisky - Glenfiddich 21 Years Old, Bourbon - Woodford Reserve

Cognac - Hennessy Paradis

Vodka - Grey Goose

Gin - Bombay Sapphire

Rum - Bacardi Superior, Bacardi 8 Anos

Champagne, Port and Wines

A selection of fine wines from internationally renowned vineyards of the old and new world

Liqueuers

Baileys Irish Cream, Tiam Maria, Drambuie, Cointreau

Dinner

Appetiser

Smoked salmon
with grilled scallops on a bed of fresh green bean and walnut salad, with a mustard and dill dressing

Soy barbeque chicken
marinated, grilled and served cold with Asian style salad and citrus dressing

Soup

Creamy mushroom soup
garnished with creme fraiche and chopped chives

Main Course

Pan-fried lamb loin
with creamy mashed potato, Puy lentil ragout, sauteed zucchini and red capsicum batons

Roast chicken breast
with jus, potato galette sprinkled with kawakawa seasoning, fresh asparagus spears and oven-roasted pumpkin and onion

Prawns in coconut sauce
prawns with a coconut and lemon grass sauce, with two coloured rice, green beans and stir-fried carrot flowers

Spinach and feta ravioli
tossed in a rich tomato and basil sauce, with grilled aubergine, sauteed cherry tomatoes, broad beans and green zucchini

A la carte vegetables
as an alternative accompaniment to your main course, an additional variety of vegetables is available which includes steamed rice, Lyonnaise potatoes topped with fried onions and parsley, roasted pumpkin and green asparagus spears

Dessert

Mini desserts
gourmet selection of fine miniature desserts

Bread

Bread basket
a variety of freshly baked rolls and garlic bread

Cheese

International cheese selection
specially selected international cheeses, matured to perfection and served with a selection of crudites, crackers and dried fruits

Fruit

Fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Beverages

a selection of the finest quality teas and coffees are available freshly brewed for your enjoyment throughout the flight

Chocolates
to accompany a freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee

EK413-AKLSYDDXB-F-10B_A380

First Class Wine List

Champagne

Dom Perignon Vintage 2000
The very fresh and youthful millenium vintage of Dom Prignon is soft and approachable. Persistent tiny bubbles race up to the top of your glass, assisting in the release of the subtle aromas of hazelnut, lemon cream, pear and red apple. Ultra fine, with a very active bead that just floats across the palate. Elegant, unobtrusive and balanced. The finish is delightful with lingering stonefruit flavours.

White Wine

Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru, Les Folatieres, 2008, Henri de Villamont
What makes Puligny-Montrachet so special? Well many things, but primarily; balance, harmony and finesse. In addition, they are noted for having a steely, vibrant core in the very centre of their abundant flavours. 'Les Folatieres' is the best known Premier Cru terrior in Puligny-Montrachet, the vines are richer and fatter than elsewhere in the village of Puligny and hence can be broached quite young. The example here, from Henri de Villamont, shows this angular beauty thoroughly and has a really long and intense finish.

Isabel Estate, Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough
Crisp citrus fruit abounds here with the elegant Isabel Estate 2008 Sauvignon. This vintage is tighter and more mineral based than some of the recent ones that - in the quest for the Kiwi Sauvignon style - have allowed themselves to become a tad blowsy. This family owned winery makes splendid wines. A perfect aperitif and a joy with seafood and fresh water fish.

Red Wine

Chateau Rauzan Segla, 2001 Margaux
After a very shaky track record in the 70's and 80's, culminating in the property being owned by ex boxer and entrepreneur George Walker. Boxers and Bordeaux were odd bedfellows and it's now owned by the couture house of Chanel. In the 90's Rauzan Segla started making wines befitting its Grand Cru Classe status. Here, the 2001 is drinking beautifully, with hallmark cedar, cassis and roasted herbs. This is quintessential Margauz.

Felton Road, Pinot Noir 2008, Central Otago, New Zealand
After a four year courtship, Felton Road, arguably the finest grower of Pinot Noir outside Burgundy, agreed to let Emeriates take a parcel of their highly sought after wine. Deep into New Zealand's beautifully dramatic South Island lies the region of Central Otago and the ideal terrior for this capricious variety. The top Kiwi Pinot has grace, verve and an abundance of clean raspberry and bramble fruit flavours. The uniqueness is as much about the freshness and soft tannins, as it is about complex fruit definition. Fully organic and biodynamically produced, the Felton Road 2008 is a beauty - and splendid in the air.

St Hallet "Old Block" Shiraz 2005, Barossa Valley
A blockbuster Shiraz from the hot Barossa Valley near Adelaide. The 2005 St Hallet Shiraz displays the hallmark richness, ripe blackcurrant and spicy complexity of the regions best fruit. The sheer weight of the wine is managed splendidly by a clean freshness that gives both balance and a sense of elegance, not often associated with the Barossa. An acknowledged icon wine of Australia, the "Old Block" derives its fruit from vines of 60 to well over 100 years old. The tiny yields these knarred plants gives ensure that this wine is naturally rare. Try it while you can.

Dessert

Chateau Rieussec, 2003, Sauternes
Devotees will need no introduction to this great wine. For the novice, the chance to sip and savour the great 2003 Rieussec is a treat and superb induction to the genre. Honeyed power, great definition and excellent viscosity. Thick and juicy seem simple words for such a spectacular wine, but that is what its like. Perfect with foie gras or as a digestif after dinner, the extraordinary flavours just go on and on.

Warre's, 1980 Vintage Port
The oldest British-owned Port house was founded in 1670 by the Warre brothers. For a 28 year-old Port the 1980 is still a deeply coloured, very impressive looking wine. Very open and mature, creamy, fine, as impressive as its appearance. Broad and expressive of black and raisined fruit, with a massive structure beneath to keep it all together. A small glass is the ultimate digestif.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
...... I wonder if Emirates will expand the lounge again to cater for the recent upgauge in capacity on the flights?
I hear on good authority that there is going to be an upgrade of the lounge soon....the design will be commencing very soon
dj
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY

With lots of through connecting passengers (it looked like about half), I had an opportunity to avoid the "random" pat down and explosives check given to the first passenger through transfer security. Yay. So I deliberately walked slow from the airbridge. The first few passengers in front were headed for immigration. I slowed down a bit more. Unfortunately it didn't go to plan. The first woman to xray had high heels and lots of jewellry removed and took a very long time putting it all back on. Oh well, at least the guy in front of me will be selected. Bzzzt. He had a prosthetic of some sort and so got full pat down. So I ended up getting the pat down and explosives check, and had wasted a few minutes by going slow to boot. At least this is mere minor annoyance and it did give me another opportunity to educate the security officer of the folly of their "random" selection process.

Transit time is about 90 minutes from scheduled arrival to departure, but useful time in the lounge is around 30 minutes. Bubbles were Moet and Veuve. The lounge was fairly full but not as crowded as the Auckland lounge (after all there is only one flight and the lounge is about half the size).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd intended posting the next instalment during this transit. A quite late flight and very slow internet connection, however, means this is doubtful. Apologies for the delay.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It seems there have been a few passengers with measles flying on Emirates to Auckland recently.

I was on this flight

another story about the same flight?

another recent flight
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY to DUBAI (SYD-DXB) on Emirates A380-800 in first class

Boarding time came around. The gate area was crowded but no queue for first/business class. Inside the cabin was completely full. I ducked into the bathroom to use a tissue, and back at my seat I noticed the tote bag filled with amenities had been provided in my absence. Given the quantity of amenities (even a personal hand towel) I don't know why there were no slippers. The menu was handed out after take off this time around.

I had some drink (no prizes for guessing what) and when asked, selected the time I'd prefer to take a shower.

In the time we'd been on the ground the runway direction was reversed so we had a taxi out to the south end to take off to the north. Unfortunately we disappeared into the cloud within a minute of take off and so no views of the city and harbour.

There was a minor glitch in the IFE - the flight path showed us at Sydney the whole flight (with normal altitude and speed). There was also a glitch in one of the bathrooms - a broken faucet meant crew had to keep topping up a water jug for use instead.

I forgot to mention the double blinds Emirates uses (as does Qantas) in first class on A380. It is good to have a 3/4-light option without the glare of open blinds. Not much use on this particular flight - taking off after sunset and landing before sunrise.

About an hour into the flight there were very minor bumps and the seatbelt sign came on. After dinner I struggled to sleep so whiled away the time watching movies, reading some papers I'd brought with me and the odd magazine, and liquid refreshments. The seatbelt sign remained on almost all flight and so I think only one passenger managed to have a shower.

We had a long taxi on arrival and parked up at a gate in the mid 100s.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Emirates
First Class menu
Sydney to Dubai
January 2011

Bar Service

Aperitifs

Campari - Campari Bitter, Vermouth Sweet/Dry - Martini, Sweet Sherry - Harvey's Bristol Cream, Dry Sherry - Tio Pepe

Beers

A selection of international beers including Heineken, Budweiser and Amstel Light

Cocktails

Black Russian, Bloody Mary, Bucks Fizz, Champagne Cocktail, Cosmopolitan (US routes), Fantasy Island, Kir Royal, Manhattan, Martini Cocktail Classic, Screwdriver, Vodka Martini

Mocktails

Jumeirah Delight

Spirits

Premium Scotch Whisky - Chivas Regal Royal Salute, Single Malt Whisky - Glenfiddich 21 Years Old, Bourbon - Woodford Reserve

Vodka - Grey Goose

Gin - Bombay Sapphire

Rum - Bacardi Superior, Bacardi 8 Anos

A selection of fine wines from internationally renowned vineyards of the old and new world

Liqueuers

A la Carte Dining

Continental Breakfast

Fruit juices
freshly squeezed orange, grapefruit juice or a refresing detox drink, made of fresh beetroot, celery, apple and ginger

Breakfast fruits
tropical and seasonal cut fresh fruits

Florida cocktail
delices of fresh grapefruit and sweet orange segments

Yoghurt
Greek yoghurt with fresh fruit coulis

Assorted cereals

Bread basket
a variety of freshly baked breads, croissants and breakfast pastries, served with butter and preserves

Cheese selection
which includes goat cheese, basil and garlic cheese, and Swiss cheese, served with dried apricots

Hot Breakfast

Warm porridge
traditional Scottish porridge oats with warm milk and heather honey

Mixed grill
grilled beef medallion and a veal chipolata, with Boston baked beans, creamy spinach, and char-grilled Roma tomato

Spanish omelette
served with a tangy tomato ragout and roasted potato cubes, sauteed button mushrooms and fresh asparagus

Buttermilk pancakes
apple flavoured buttermilk pancakes with a blueberry and manuka honey yoghurt, served with maple syrup

Canapes

Selection of canapes
a selection of hot and cold canapes, which includes Oriental chicken skewer, goat cheese and cranberry tart, mini beef Wellington, kataiti wrapped prawn, spinach and onion pakoda, marinated mozzarella and mixed olives with antipasti vegetables

Appetisers

Roasted duck breast
on grilled sesame coated pumpkin slices, with a Swiss chard salad and a burnt orange vinaigrette

Poached prawns
poached Vamba prawns served on a bed of Asian rice sald, accompanied with a sesame flavoured soy dressing

Seared fillet of lamb
served on a black lentil salad, accompanied with pineapple chutney

Salad collection
choose from our wide range of salad options which include a simple mixed lead, celery, cucumber, tomato, pepper and French radish combination or add one of our exciting toppings. Our selection of toppings available are spicy Cajun chicken strips, grilled salmon, crumbled fresh Greek feta cheese and kalamata olives or shaved parmesan and focaccia croutons. Drizzle your salad with a choice of Italian olive oil, balsamic and olive oil, classic Caesar dressing or a creamy blue cheese and walnut dressing

Soups

Seafood curry soup
creamy seafood soup with a mild curry flavour and mini diced vegetables, served with garlic croutons

Roasted parsnip soup
hearty soup made of oven-roasted parsnips and carrot, topped with crispy cumin parsnip chips

Main Courses

Seared seafood medley
fresh scallops, garlic lobster and pan-fried salmon, with moist paella rice and grilled vegetables

Smoked chicken breast
smoked paprika and coriander yoghurt chicken breast, accompanied by a tomato and chickpea casserole, steamed rice and sauteed broccolini

Porterhouse steak
thyme infused porterhouse steak, with caramelised parsnip, rosemary roasted potatoes and sauteed cherry tomatoes, topped with a confit of pearl onion jus

Pasta bar
enjoy a delicious taste of Italy with our pasta choices of tomato and aubergine filled ravioli or ragatoni pasta, tossed with your choice of fresh sauces which includes traditional beef bolognese, Genovese pesto, sage cheese sauce, and fresh chunky tomato coulis, all served with freshly shaved parmesan cheese and basil leaves

Poached red emporer
in broth with enoki mushrooms, greens and udon noodles

A la Carte vegetables
as an alternative accompaniment to your main course, an additional variety of vegetables is available which includes Moroccan style carrots, broccoli with roasted almonds, sauteed mushrooms with fresh parsley, jalfrezi vegetables, basmati rice and roasted new potatoes with rosemary

Bread basket
a variety of freshly baked rolls and garlic bread

International cheese selection
specially selected international cheeses, matured to perfection and served with a selection of crudites, crackers and dried fruits

Sweet Delights

Mini desserts
gourmet selection of fine miniature desserts

Fresh strawberry sponge cake
a moist vanilla sponge cake layered with fresh strawberry slices, served with a citrus strawberry salad

Pear and ginger pudding
served warm with a rich vanilla cream sauce

Selection of fruits
a seasonal selection fo fresh cut fruits

Chocolates
to accompany a freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee

Hot Beverages

a selection of the finest quality teas and coffees are available freshly brewed for your enjoyment throughout the flight

Light Bites

Deli sandwich
layers of shaved roast beef, lettuce, tomato, Swiss cheese, gherkins, avocado pulp and whole grain mustard in a walnut sour dough bread

Chicken tikka
tender pieces of chicken tikka on a bed of coconut rice

Stir-fried spicy beef
stir-fried beef slices with snow peas, placed on Chinese Chow Mein noodles

Fish and chips
golden fried fish goujons served with grilled peppers and chunky chips

Mushroom vol au vent
rich mushroom ragout placed in a light puff pastry, accompanied with fresh green asparagus, roasted cherry tomatoes and grilled yellow capsicum

Smoked chicken tart
with asparagus and feta cheese, served with a small frisee salad topped with walnuts

Ice cream selection
refresh your appetite from our sorbet and ice cream menu which includes cookies and cream, burnt toffee and fig ice cream, green tea sorbet or pineapple and lime

* Last hot meal orders shall be taken 1hr and 30mins before landing*
EK413-AKLSYDDXB-F-10B_A380

First Class Wine List

Champagne

The very fresh and youthful millenium vintage of Dom Prignon is soft and approachable. Persistent tiny bubbles race up to the top of your glass, assisting in the release of the subtle aromas of hazelnut, lemon cream, pear and red apple. Ultra fine, with a very active bead that just floats across the palate. Elegant, unobtrusive and balanced. The finish is delightful with lingering stonefruit flavours.

White Wine

Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru, Les Folatieres, 2008, Henri de Villamont
What makes Puligny-Montrachet so special? Well many things, but primarily; balance, harmony and finesse. In addition, they are noted for having a steely, vibrant core in the very centre of their abundant flavours. 'Les Folatieres' is the best known Premier Cru terrior in Puligny-Montrachet, the vines are richer and fatter than elsewhere in the village of Puligny and hence can be broached quite young. The example here, from Henri de Villamont, shows this angular beauty thoroughly and has a really long and intense finish.

Isabel Estate, Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough
Crisp citrus fruit abounds here with the elegant Isabel Estate 2008 Sauvignon. This vintage is tighter and more mineral based than some of the recent ones that - in the quest for the Kiwi Sauvignon style - have allowed themselves to become a tad blowsy. This family owned winery makes splendid wines. A perfect aperitif and a joy with seafood and fresh water fish.

Red Wine

Chateau Rauzan Segla, 2001 Margaux
After a very shaky track record in the 70's and 80's, culminating in the property being owned by ex boxer and entrepreneur George Walker. Boxers and Bordeaux were odd bedfellows and it's now owned by the couture house of Chanel. In the 90's Rauzan Segla started making wines befitting its Grand Cru Classe status. Here, the 2001 is drinking beautifully, with hallmark cedar, cassis and roasted herbs. This is quintessential Margauz.

Felton Road, Pinot Noir 2008, Central Otago, New Zealand
After a four year courtship, Felton Road, arguably the finest grower of Pinot Noir outside Burgundy, agreed to let Emeriates take a parcel of their highly sought after wine. Deep into New Zealand's beautifully dramatic South Island lies the region of Central Otago and the ideal terrior for this capricious variety. The top Kiwi Pinot has grace, verve and an abundance of clean raspberry and bramble fruit flavours. The uniqueness is as much about the freshness and soft tannins, as it is about complex fruit definition. Fully organic and biodynamically produced, the Felton Road 2008 is a beauty - and splendid in the air.

St Hallet "Old Block" Shiraz 2005, Barossa Valley
A blockbuster Shiraz from the hot Barossa Valley near Adelaide. The 2005 St Hallet Shiraz displays the hallmark richness, ripe blackcurrant and spicy complexity of the regions best fruit. The sheer weight of the wine is managed splendidly by a clean freshness that gives both balance and a sense of elegance, not often associated with the Barossa. An acknowledged icon wine of Australia, the "Old Block" derives its fruit from vines of 60 to well over 100 years old. The tiny yields these knarred plants gives ensure that this wine is naturally rare. Try it while you can.

Dessert

Chateau Rieussec, 2003, Sauternes
Devotees will need no introduction to this great wine. For the novice, the chance to sip and savour the great 2003 Rieussec is a treat and superb induction to the genre. Honeyed power, great definition and excellent viscosity. Thick and juicy seem simple words for such a spectacular wine, but that is what its like. Perfect with foie gras or as a digestif after dinner, the extraordinary flavours just go on and on.

Warre's, 1980 Vintage Port
The oldest British-owned Port house was founded in 1670 by the Warre brothers. For a 28 year-old Port the 1980 is still a deeply coloured, very impressive looking wine. Very open and mature, creamy, fine, as impressive as its appearance. Broad and expressive of black and raisined fruit, with a massive structure beneath to keep it all together. A small glass is the ultimate digestif.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

DUBAI

A long walk to transit security. Almost everyone arriving at this early hour was transferring with very few continuing on to immigration. Back in the now familiar lounge I had a shower early to beat the rush, then caught up on some work in the business centre. The connection was particularly slow so I gave up and headed for the 100 gates where my onward flight would depart from.

The airport was heaving with people, and in places it was difficult to walk through the shoppers to make headway towards the gates. The first class lounge in the 100s area was closed but the opposite business class lounge was open. This is much more basic than the first class lounge (duh) but still well appointed. The major drawback was being so crowded it was difficult to get a seat and the lounge was quite dirty (staff simply couldn't keep up with the messes being created). The open air nature of the smoking area upstairs meant the whole lounge was smokey. The computers in the business centre were slightly faster, but not by much so after a bit I gave up here too and meandered to the departure gate.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

DUBAI to MAHE (DXB-SEZ) on Emirates A340-500 in first class

There were few people milling in the gate lounge waiting for the bus when I arrived. We were escorted downstairs (I helped some pax with their bags down the stairs). Clearly a very light load in all classes as the bus had less than 30 people on it and no signs of a subsequent bus.

We had a long drive to our aircraft. I hadn't realised the airport was this big. We went past the length of the terminal, around some hangars, past some remote stands and kept going. 20 minutes later we reached some distant stand that felt like it was in Saudi Arabia. I couldn't even see the massive terminal from our position. Large as an A345 is, it was dwarved by the two A380s which were in front and adjacent.

Up the stairs to board. I'm welcomed aboard, escorted into the cabin and invited to pick any seat I'd like for today I'm the only passenger in first class. No need to use the suite's privacy screen! I knew it would be a great flight when I was given frequent top-ups on the ground so as to not waste the opened bottle of Dom Perignon 2000.

As a fairly short daylight flight, there are less amenities than for my flight up to Dubai. No pajamas. No tote bag. Socks. Eye mask. Amenity kit. Oddly no slippers. Arrival card. Menu.

We had a delay in pushing back due to congestion. A second bottle was opened!

Eventually it was time to go. During the safety video the cabin was sprayed due to requirements of Seychelles.

I was fairly tired so after a quick bite I tried to sleep. This didn't work so instead I watched some tv and consumed the proffered drinks. When I heard the familiar cork pop at top of descent I wondered what the crew were trying to do to me. I've already drunk quite a bit on this flight and not sure I can manage another bottle in the short time left.

It was then I was offered some slippers. Oops - a bit late for that. More drink by way of apology.

There was quite a bit of cloud buildup in the tropical heat but we had glimpses of the bush clad islands as we descended. As with many tropical islands, the airport is right on the shortline. We used most of the runway to stop and then a short taxi to our stand. The airport seems fairly quiet with a steady stream of puddlejumpers off to Praslin, a Condor aircraft and a hercules.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Emirates
First Class menu
Dubai to Syechelles
January 2011

Bar Service

Aperitifs

Beers

Cocktails

Mocktails

Jumeirah Delight

Spirits

Vodka - Grey Goose

Gin - Bombay Sapphire

Rum - Bacardi Superior

Liqueuers

Breakfast

Juice

Fresh fruit juice

Fruit

Fresh seasonal fruit

Yoghurt
natural or fruit

Assorted cereals

Main Course

Cheese omelette
topped with grated cheese, accompanied with sauteed mekanik sausages with onions, mushrooms and tomato marinated herbed chicken medallions and hash brown potatoes

Scrambled eggs
garnished with fresh chives, served with grilled chicken and pepper cubes, turkey bacon, golden fried roesti potatoes and roasted plum tomato with black pepper seasoning

French toast with banana
offered with waffles and mixed berry compote

Cheese selection and cold cuts
which includes cheddar and Ackawi cheese, peppered roast beef, chicken pastrami, Philadelphia cream cheese in tomato cup and crudites

Bread

Bread basket
a variety of freshly baked breads, croissants and breakfast pastries, served with butter and preserves

Beverages

EK707-DXBSEZ-F-10B

First Class Wine List

Champagne

White Wine

Condrieu 'Les Cassines', 2008, Paul Jaboulet Aine
Condrieu, the unique dry white from France's Rhone Valley is best drunk young and fresh. This example has a wonderful mouthfeel with intense peach and apricot and mineral notes that all weave seamlessly through the racy, full bodied finish. At once lush and invigorating. A wine often copied globally (as simply the grape-Viognier), but without ever achieving quite the balance you have here.

Martin Codax, Albarino, 2007, Rias Baixas
The Rias Baixas region of North West Spain has become renowned as a fine producer of the Albarino grape. It has the verve of Sauvignon but with more breadth and a lifting perfume on the nose. Bottled under screw cap to retain its freshness and delicate aromas, Albarino is best drunk young as this 2007 example shows. Martin Codax is a superb and diligent producer and we're delighted to list our first Albarino here.

Red Wine

Chateau Rauzan Segla, 2001, Margaux

La Sirena Syrah, 2004, Napa Valley
The manicured vineyards of the Napa are not the first place you'd look for Syrah from the USA. However, add the winemaking magic of Heidi Barret, (famed for the iconic Screaming Eagle) and it's likely to yield something very complete and heady. This rich and spicy red has a violet and dark berry scented bouquet and on the palate it has spicy bramble mingled with anis and cedar. The 2004 La Sirena is very approachable now and is topped with the archetypical Napa polish.

Port

Croft, 1998, Late Bottled Vintage Port
Established over 300 years ago, Croft produce their Late Bottled Vintage only in very good years. Bottled six years after harvest, the silver medal-winning 1998 Late Bottled Vintage is deep in colour with a rich, creamy nose of sweet blackberry and cherry fruit. With hints of dark chocolate and juicy berry notes on the palate, its gentle tannins give it a very approachable style, making it suitable for any occasion.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
While I am really enjoying your report - thanks for giving such detail of the lounges and flights - I wonder why you are doing so many journeys in such a short time. You have probably supplied a rationale in the past but I have not seen it. One return journey to Europe and back usually affects my sleeping habits for a couple of weeks. How do you do so many flights without really any rest between them or do you stay on NZ time throughout? I think I would rather take more time to savour the flights and enjoy the locations I visit rather immediately coming back home. Keep up the report though.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MEL-World
While I am really enjoying your report - thanks for giving such detail of the lounges and flights - I wonder why you are doing so many journeys in such a short time. You have probably supplied a rationale in the past but I have not seen it. One return journey to Europe and back usually affects my sleeping habits for a couple of weeks. How do you do so many flights without really any rest between them or do you stay on NZ time throughout? I think I would rather take more time to savour the flights and enjoy the locations I visit rather immediately coming back home. Keep up the report though.
I was constrained by my schedule and availability. Given a choice between a quick trip and not travelling, almost every time I'll take the quick trip.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

There was a small delay while stairs were pulled up. A couple of health department officers came onboard and ordered the doors to be shut after them, while they waited for paperwork to be completed. Then we were allowed out.

My itinerary caused much amusement at immigration but I was soon stamped in (and I managed to avoid a stamp on a precious blank passport page). I was first at customs and was stopped to have my bags searched. Was this because I had no checked bags and was through so quickly? Ah, no it seems nearly everyone is being stopped today. No problems with my bag and I'm allowed on my way.

Until the next guy just before the exit stops me for questioning. He really doesn't like my itinerary. Perhaps I should have booked a cheap hotel even though I don't need it due to flying out late tonight? Then again, rates weren't cheap when I checked earlier - lowest being around $250 for a low quality place in the middle of nowhere. A bit rich for me when the only use I'd get would be a shower. Not even any miles since the chain hotels were over $1000 and completely out of the question. Still, I think the officer understood the uselessness of booking accommodation on my schedule.

More questions. At one point a strip search and cavity search are threatened. More questions. He disappears into a back room. When he comes back there are more questions. After nearly an hour he seems to tire of this and abruptly I'm allowed on my way.

While annoying, this is not my worst entry into a country. A little later than planned I'm off exploring to make the most of rest of the day here. It is rather hot & humid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.