Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
SINGAPORE to KUALA LUMPUR (SIN-KUL) on Silk Air A320 in business class

I remember taking this route not too long ago when there were lots of Singapore Airlines flights, they offered first class on the route, and had full meal service. Which is astounding for about 40 minutes in the air.

Today, things are much different. Silk Air has taken over most of the Singapore Airlines flights, there is no first class, and F&B service consists of a sandwich in business class plus limited drink selection, or a cold drink in economy.

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. Due to schedules I needed to take the Silk Air flight to KL instead of an SQ flight, and I admit I was also curious as to how the service compares on this very short route.

About 45 minutes before departure I left the silver kris first class lounge. Then, deciding I had left too early I decided to go to terminal 1 to check in for another flight later today. This meant a dash to C transfer desk, patiently waiting while a boarding pass was issued and questions asked about onward flights. It subsequently emerged I had been checked in for the following flight (on the same airline) but was not given the boarding pass for a reason I do not fathom. Then dash back to T2 and on to F pier, which is at the opposite end of the terminal from T1 to reach the gate before it shuts 10 minutes prior to departure. I made it with a couple of minutes to spare. Phew.

Boarding started shortly afterwards, with a call for business class, PPS, and those travelling with families. No star gold in the call, because Silk Air is not part of Star Alliance despite being a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines. This is the real problem with so many KL flights transferring from SQ to MI (Silk Air) - lack of connectivity for *A passengers.

The load was light. While boarding proceeded we were offered a glass of orange or apple juice before take-off. No bubbles here. Our snack selection was also taken before take-off, a choice of 2 different sandwiches, and a choice between tea or coffee (we all got water on the tray).

The short flight passed quickly. Take off and initial climb. Trays handed out with our snack selection and drinks. A PA about cruising altitude and expected arrival time. Start descent. Trays collected. A blip for a brief hold at low altitude (perhaps a politician on another flight wanted priority for landing?). Land.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

KUALA LUMPUR to SINGAPORE (KUL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines A330-300 in business class

On arrival I headed for the Thai lounge. The agent tried to direct me to the Singapore Airlines lounge opposite, but I said I preferred this lounge. She agreed the SQ lounge can get overcrowded at times and let me in. I caught up on some messages and had a quick drink before it was time to board.

I made a short detour to poke my head into the SQ lounge just to confirm it is still not very good. It isn't. By the time I'd gone through security at the gate boarding had commenced. There was a priority boarding for business class, PPS, *G and families with infants and small children; however it was not enforced with a mass stampede for the doors.

This was my first time on Singapore Airlines' A330, with new regional seats, and the reason I'd chosen this particular flight despite the tight scheduling.

The seats are best described as a cross between the new longhaul seats and the venerable old spacebeds. They have a similar look, feel and functionality to the new (well not so new now they have been around a few years) longhaul seats. However, they are also narrow and do not lie flat (like the spacebeds). For short flights they are superb.

One member of the cabin crew team must have been very new in her job. While boarding was underway there was a crash, tinkle, from frozen condensation starting to melt in the heat and losing grip. Those who fly regularly in the tropics on aircraft that are used for longhaul or mediumhaul flights are well familiar with these sounds. This flight attendant was shocked to hear it and had to ask what it was.

Pre-departure we had a choice of orange or apple juice. We left on time. Another sandwich - choices of roast beef, pastrami or chicken. Liquid refreshments of tea, coffee, juice, cola, beer, water.

The IFE was switched on despite the short flight length. I turned on flight path and the global view screen looks ridiculous with origin and destination symbols overlapping and the flight path appearing as a smudge more than a line. This GCM map gives some idea.

Our descent started well south of Singapore over Indonesia, and was rather bumpy. We landed 15 minutes late, and pulled into a gate near the end of A pier in T3 about the time I'd arranged to meet kyo over in T1.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE to TOKYO NARITA (SIN-NRT) on Japan Airlines 777-200 in business class

After seeing kyo off to his flight I headed for the Qantas first class lounge. The showers are in high demand late evening, due to the high number of connecting longhaul passengers, so I went there first and was surprised to get a shower straight away. Once refreshed I had a few glasses of bubbles (Joseph Perrier) and caught up on my messages.

The boarding call in the lounge came rather early (40 minutes before departure) so I took my time finishing off what I was doing before timing it just right to get to the gate across the other side of the terminal about 15 minutes to departure. Only a short queue at security and, as boarding commenced just when I entered the gate lounge I walked straight onboard. The boarding process was very quick - the typical Japanese flyer is very efficient at getting on or off the aircraft, and doors were closed early. Yes, less than 15 minutes to board a full 777.

The seat pocket already had an amenity kit, slippers and menu in it. No pre-departure drink.

The seats are quite good for a regional flight - shell design but not fully flat. Plenty of legroom.

Shortly after take-off hot towels were offered, followed by a drink (or three) and a couple of packets of rice snacks. Having flown this route as a red-eye many times on Singapore Airlines with the demise some years ago of 2nd meal I was surprised there was both a supper and a breakfast meal. Unlike SQ where you choose which one you want (eat early or late in the flight), on this flight you could do both. Having said that, most passengers opted to sleep as soon as possible.

Even though I was tired from lack of sleep the previous day and a tiring day spent dashing around southeast Asia, I didn't get much of a sleep. I fell asleep halfway through the flight and was woken an hour later (ie about 2 hours before arrival) when lights came on for breakfast service.

Dawn had just arrived when we landed, so it was very chilly in the airbridge.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Japan Airlines
Business Class menu
Singapore to Tokyo
December 2009

Wine and Beverage

Champagne

Champagne Piper Heidsieck
In France where they appreciate aperitif very much before their meals, a coupe de champagne (a glass of champagne) is considered to be the most elegant drink. Piper Heidsieck is fruity champagne which offers light and yet gorgeous atmosphere suitable for aperitif. It will lead you to the entertainment over the table in the air.

White Wine

Abbaye des Fontenay 2006 Les Truites Macon Villages
What has been the talk of Bourgogne of late from the northern Chablis to the southern Macon is a radical improvement in the quality of the Macon wines. This wine, showing a wonderful harmony of fruits, cloak of acidity accompanied by a dainty mineral taste, is a descendant of cuvee of the abbey established by a Cistercian monk named Sait Bernard of in 1118. Refreshing bouquet of such citrus as grape fruits and spicy after-taste manifest the modern style of wine making.

Robert Pepi Sauvignon Blanc 2007 California
During the 1960s in California, where the wine boom began, white wine as an aperitif rapidly gained popularity. Starting initially with fresh Chardonnay, then on to barrel-aged Chardonnay with hints of honey, followed by the arrival of the light Sauvignon Blanc. Aromatic flavor and crisp acidity. Robert Pepi has had a major role in leading the age as one of the pioneers of Sauvignon Blanc in this region. Savor this wine's palate of flavors that bring alive the delicacies of the season.

Red Wine

Miguel Torres Nerola 2005
The renowned wine-making Torres family works their magic on 1,300ha of vineyards in Catalonia, Spain. After studying at the University of Bourgogne, Dijon, Miguel A Torres became one of the top runners in modern wine-making, developing individualistic wines one after another. His newest creation is "Nerola", a distinctive Spanish wine made of a blend of Syrah and Monastrell. The wine has a concentrated complexity presenting a sweet nuance of jam and mushrooms. Its subtle after-note of delicate yet deep tannin is impressive.

Morro Bay Split Oak Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
This wine's home is in California's Lodi region, where grape cultivation began in the 1880s. Blessed by the cool breezes from San Francisco Bay, grapes can be harvested here that are beautifully balanced between sugar content and acidity. The Split Oak Vineyard, a single vineyard nurtured by the Lange family continuously through four generations, is judged to be the very best terrior for cabernet sauvignon. The deep claret color expresses the full ripeness of the grape and the flavor is complex, layered with blackberry and other myriad hints of fruits. With the sweet tannins, as the wine airs, the abundant taste of the earth begins to flower.

Louis Max Mercurey Vigne de Domaine 2004
Louis Max, originally from Georgia in the Caucasus, launched a negociant business in the village of Nuits-Saint-Georges in Bourgogne in 1859. He bought 130 hectares of land in Mercurey, located in the southern part of Bourgogne, and started full-scale wine production. Exhibiting clear and remarkable foresight, Louis Max made a substantial investment in the 1970s and established wineries suited to modern vinification methods. Perfectly matured Pinot Noir grapes, of limited harvest volume, have given birth to this rich wine with generous fruitfulness.

Please note that these wines are subject to change.

Japanese Shochu

Japanese Shochu “Gokoo”
Gokoo is an authentic white distilled liquor made from carefully selected barley and stored in a cask for a long period of time. It presents a rich and mellow taste.

Japanese Shochu “Jinkoo”
This is a white distilled liquor made from sweet potato products from the Kagoshima region called “Satsuma”. It is sweet and light with an elegant aroma.

Japanese Sake

Jokigen
This sake brewery got the gold prize 15 times at the "National New Sake contest" last 20 years, the most prized brewery in Japan. The aroma is not so strong, that we enjoy cuisine fully. It's well-balanced of the richness and acidity. This "Junmai Dai-ginjyo sake" is the perfect choice for Japanese style dishes.

Isonosawa-Syun
Isonosawa is a Junmai Dai-ginjyo sake brewed with great care using semi-polished Yamada Nishiki rice. Perfect with a meal, it has a characteristically soft fragrance and rounded taste that one never tires of.

We apologize if occasionally your choice is not available.

Beverages

Aperitif and Cocktail

Sherry

Campari

Plum Wine

Martini

Bloody Mary

Whisky

Suntory The Hakushu 12 years (Single Malt)

Suntory The Yamazaki 12 years (Single Malt)

Chivas Regal

Jack Daniel’s Black

Spirit

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Brandy & Liqueur

Cognac Rémy Martin VSOP

Cointreau

Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

Sake

Soft Drink

JAL Original Drink “Sky Time Yuzu”

Coca-Cola

Sprite

Ginger Ale

Oolong Blended Tea

Cold Green Tea

Juice (Orange, Apple, Tomato, Grapefruit)

Herb Tea

Sparkling Mineral Water

Drinking and Driving : Passengers who need to drive after disembarking are requested to refrain from drinking during the flight.

Refreshments

We are pleased to offer you any of the following snacks at anytime. Please contact your cabin attendants.

Sandwich

Cheddar Cheese Croissant Sandwich

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich

Coffee, Tea

JAL Original snack noodle

“Ramen de Sky”, “Udon de Sky”, “Soba de Sky”

Breakfast

Fresh Orange Juice

Western

Fresh Fruits

Yogurt

Seasonal Salad

French Toast
Streaky Bacon

Coffee, Tea

or

Asagayu-zen

Japanese Rice Porridge

Grilled Fillet of Sablefish
Japanese Omelet / Fish Cake
Boiled Broad Bean / Pickled Icefish

Deep-simmered Seaweed & Fried Fish Cake

Japanese Pickles

Miso Soup

Fresh Fruits

Green Tea

We apologise if occasionally your choice is not available

SIN/NRT
JL-710
2009D
ORG.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tokyo transit

There was a queue at transfer security but it was moving quickly. Not having an onward boarding pass I showed my itinerary to get through. At check in I was given the boarding pass for my next flight on JAL, but was unable to get the boarding pass for the subsequent flight. Why is Japan Airlines so reluctant to provide boarding passes for onward flights? I hoped this wouldn't cause a problem later on.

By the time this was completed and I went up a level to departures more than an hour had passed since landing, but I still had a short wait for the JAL first class lounge to open.

Once again, my first priority was a shower, then catch up on messages and have some drinks. I started with the bubbly (Delamotte) and through the day worked my way through the sakes and Japanese liquors.

I thought about heading into Tokyo to fill in some time for my long wait. However I didn't have suitable clothing for the cold weather (barely freezing). Instead I had plenty of time to catch up on some work, work out contingencies for my awkward transit coming up and just relax.

The lounge is very nice, and being holidays was fairly empty most of the day. At times I was the only passenger in the lounge, and so was treated royally.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOKYO NARITA to GUAM (NRT-GUM) on Japan Airlines 767-300 in business class

When I was organising the trip I decided I wanted to try a different route intra-Asia than the standard main trunk routes between NRT, HKG, TPE, BKK, SIN, ICN. I'd already flown some of the other routes, and didn't fancy doing India or Pakistan due to visa issues (although since booking India has started allowing visa on arrivals for some).

So Guam seemed a good idea. At the time. I wanted to get the daytime flights on 747 so as to get some time at the destination and maybe do some island hopping. Unfortunately availability, even several months ago when I made the booking, had very few flights open. The best of a bad deal was this redeye flight, and an onward redeye flight.

Fast-forward to a couple of days prior to the flight. In the aftermath of the terrorism attempt on Amsterdam to Detroit flight Christmas Day security had been tightened for all international flights to USA. Guam is part of USA even though it is not a state and indeed separated from the mainland by many thousands of miles. Part of my day in the lounge was spent working out backup plans and considering whether or not to abort this next portion of the trip. After some thought, I decided to continue because the risks to the rest of my itinerary seemed adequately manageable although there was always a chance of an overzealous immigration officer restraining me due to my odd itinerary.

The flight was the second to last of the day and boarding was eventually called. The gate was nearby and a long queue spread along the corridor due to the extra screening for US-bound flights. I then made a rookie mistake. I assumed the queue was for my flight without checking properly, and thought there was no chance of an on time departure (it was about 10 minutes before scheduled departure by now). It wasn't until I noticed some agents running around with worried faces that I thought to double check that the queue was for the gate of my flight - gate 62, and not for the final flight of the night to Honolulu at adjacent gate 61.

Arrghh, I've been standing in the wrong line wasting time. I remonstrated with myself for a moment. The upcoming connection was a bit risky and I didn't want to reduce my transfer time unneccessarily.

The security check was quick - the briefest of glances (of the purely "going through the motions" variety) at the inside of my carry on, and a pat down which the officer seemed to enjoy just a bit too much and I was whisked onboard. Yes, last to board and I did hold up the flight, but only by a minute or two.

The load was light. In business class we all had rows to ourselves. I'd barely had time to stow my carry-on when the aircraft was pushed back. Slippers and a menu were already in the seat pocket and a flight attendant came by with a basket of eye shades, tooth brush, ear plugs, face mask.

For take off we had the nose camera on, and then flight path showed. I couldn't help notice it was the same flight path program as used by Air NZ (3-D images of flight path and places on the map) but minus the google earth map of departure (and arrival) airports & surrounds.

A tray was set out for my drinks order and supper. Then I blacked out - the lack of sleep and drinking of the day taking their toll. I was woken during the announcements for final descent. The nose camera again came on, but not much was seen other than a few lights near the airport.

We landed rather early, which I naively took to mean the transfer would be simple and straight forward. Unfortunately for me, tonight there was a major problem and so my transfer was not simple and not straight forward. More on this soon.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Japan Airlines
Business Class menu
Tokyo to Guam
December 2009

Liqueur & Wine

Aperitif and Cocktail

Sherry

Campari

Plum Wine

Martini

Bloody Mary

Whisky

Chivas Regal

Jack Daniel’s Black

Spirit

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Champagne

Wine

Brandy & Liqueur

Cognac Rémy Martin VSOP

Cointreau

Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

Japanese Shochu

Japanese Shochu "Gokoo"

Japanese Shochu "Jinkoo"

Dai-Ginjoshu

Soft Drinks

Coca-Cola

Sprite

Ginger Ale

Oolong Blended Tea

Cold Green Tea

Herb Tea

Sparkling Mineral Water

Drinking and Driving : Passengers who need to drive after disembarking are requested to refrain from drinking during the flight.

Premium Boxed Meal Western

Hors d'Oeuvre

French Marinated Sardine

Vegetable Terrine

Salami & Cream Cheese

Roast Pork Marmalade Flavor

Marinated Tuna with Ratatouille

Salmon & Papaya

Green Tea Mousse

Petit Brioche Pork

Marinated Pork

Main Dish

Alfonsino "Acqua Pazza"

Focaccia

Coffee, Tea

Premium Boxed Meal Japanese

Boxed Meal

Grilled Fillet of Salmon

Fried Fish Cake

Fried Crabmeat Cake

Braised Vegetables

Sweet-simmered Japanese Smelt

Braised Shrimp

Deep-simmered Octopus

Skewered Sweet Black Bean

Pickled Squid

Dainomono

Braised Beef in Sweet Soy Sauce

Miso Soup

Green Tea

NRT/GUM
JL-981
2009D
DEC/JAN
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transfer chaos in Guam

Guam airport was not designed with security in mind. Ironic really that USA rules post 9/11 required other international airports to create permanent barriers to separate arriving and departing passengers, yet this international airport in USA has movable barriers along the corridor. At one point on the walk towards immigration we had to drop a level walk along a bit and then go back up a level. The reason is there was a gate we just walked under that was in the process of boarding and thus the moveable barriers down the middle of the corridor don't work (someone must have decided the London Heathrow T2 trick of a gap in the partition manned by someone who'd let people through to cross-over was not very practical).

Anyway I was speed-walking my way as usual and in a happy mood. We'd arrived early, I had a few hours before my next flight departed. Then I reached the immigration queue.

!@#$ that is one long queue. At least 1500 people already in the queue with more pouring in every minute. The hall overflowing with people. A couple of fans trying in vain to keep the temperature down.

The queue was slow moving. At one point I spent almost an hour without moving forward. Hundreds of people where sitting in the queue, tired of standing so long.

Apparently the immigration computers went down at midnight and this was the consequence.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

After a couple of hours spent sweltering in the queue and still many hundreds of people in front of me I realised the queue would take hours more to clear. Not only would I misconnect but I'd also miss out on my backup plans because the airline staff at check in would be long gone.

Not content to suffer the inconvenience of misconnections for the next and subsequent flights also and the difficulty in getting back on track due to full holiday season flights, I enlisted the help of an official looking guy. He turned out to be a Korean Airlines agent and helped me to the front of the immigration queue. The immigration officer was bemused but quickly processed me and advised to find a police officer to go through transit.

By now there was 15 minutes until departure of my flight and I was becoming resigned to being rerouted on the later flight.

At the door marked transit there was no police officer but instead a JAL agent who was incapable of offering assistance to me. I found a Continental agent who called over a police officer from the other side of the immigration barriers. Since I didn't have a boarding pass and there is no airside check in facilities I was escorted through baggage claim (huge piles of bags everywhere on the floor), to the front of the customs queue. The customs officer had a few questions. Apparently there is someone in Japan (a Flyer Talker?) who does a turnaround in Guam every week, but he went the night before me.

The JAL check in desk is at the far end from customs. They were just finishing check in for the next flight when I wandered up and again jumped the queue. I wonder if any FFP could have a police escort perk for their top customers?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

GUAM to TOKYO NARITA (GUM-NRT) on Japan Airlines 767-300 in business class

The check-in agent was a cool dude who was unfazed by someone presenting at check in less than 15 minutes before scheduled departure. I wonder if Guam also has "island time" (something I'm very familiar with in the South Pacific islands whereby schedules are merely guides and things tend to happen according to the whims of those responsible).

Anyway when he asked about onward flights I said I did not need to check in for them here, I could deal with it at Narita transfer desk (where I have considerably more time). However he went into a back room to check something while I waited in the by now empty check in area. 10 minutes later he came back with some boarding passes. I was checked in for this flight and the next two (on another airline), and also given a lounge invite card. So why is it that JAL won't check me in for onward flights on themselves but is happy to when the onward flight is another airline?

No time for me to ponder that as I rush back to the far other end of the check in area for the escalator up to security. There is a long line but then I spot an empty line alongside and ask the officer if this is for business/elite passengers (it wasn't signposted as such). Yes it is. So I bypass yet another queue tonight and am quickly through, albeit more slowly than in other countries where shoes and belt do not need to be removed.

Airside I briefly thought about turning left and heading for the Continental President's Club lounge which JAL uses but decide that I've missed the boarding call and since it is now the scheduled departure time I should go right to head for our gate.

Boarding commenced just as I reached the gate. No extra security for flights leaving USA of course - that is reserved for punishing visitors and returning residents. The flight load was high in economy but low in business class.

The nose camera was again on for take-off. Although I was very tired the efforts of the past few hours meant I was on edge and couldn't sleep. So I had the Japanese supper and a few bottles of sake while drifting away in my own thoughts.

Unlike many airlines on red-eye or overnight flights, the blinds were allowed to be kept up. I was glad about this when, an hour into the flight, I spied the moon shining brightly onto clouds below. The clouds were patchy and stringy with intricate patterns so the effect was of luminiscent lace. Perhaps it was my mood but it was so beautiful and peaceful looking that I soon fell asleep.

We landed on time on the secondary runway, so a short taxi to the satellite terminal. It was freezing outside but this time I used the chill in the airbridge to awaken properly and feel refreshed and energised.

While taking the short train ride into the main terminal the first sun of the year rose and as one all the people in the train turned to watch it ascend over the horizon to a crystal clear morning. It was surreal. Normally there are at least some people (or even most) in a group who do not feel compelled to watch a sunrise, but not today.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Japan Airlines
Business Class menu
Guam to Tokyo
January 2010

Liqueur & Wine

Aperitif and Cocktail

Sherry

Campari

Plum Wine

Martini

Bloody Mary

Whisky

Chivas Regal

Jack Daniel’s Black

Spirit

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Champagne

Wine

Brandy & Liqueur

Cognac Rémy Martin VSOP

Cointreau

Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

Japanese Shochu

Japanese Shochu "Gokoo"

Japanese Shochu "Jinkoo"

Dai-Ginjoshu

Soft Drinks

Coca-Cola

Sprite

Ginger Ale

Oolong Blended Tea

Cold Green Tea

Herb Tea

Sparkling Mineral Water

Premium Boxed Meal Western

Hors d'Oeuvre

Seafood Aioli Sauce

Roast Beef

Red Pimenot Salad with Italian Dressing

Fresh Fruits

Main Dish

Waffle with Blueberry Sauce

Coffee, Tea

Premium Boxed Meal Japanese

Boxed Meal

Grilled Fillet of Flatfish

Egg Cake

Grilled "Yuba"

Braised Burdock

Poached Spinach with "Nameko" Mushroom

Japanese Pickles

Fresh Fruits Cut

Dainomono

Tea Flavoured Japanese Congee

Green Tea

GUM/NRT.KIX
JL-982/944(NRT)
2009D
DEC/JAN
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOKYO NARITA to HONG KONG (NRT-HKG) on Cathay Pacific A330-300

Back again at transfer security almost exactly a day later, and this time there is no queue at all. I stroll through with barely a pause in my stride. This means I have a while to wait before the lounge opens so I wander around the terminal.

When the lounge does open I again grab a shower, before checking messages and having a drink. There are no boarding calls in this lounge for non-JAL flights, and since the gate is in the satellite lounge I decide to head out slightly early to await boarding in the Qantas lounge on the lower level.

The catering in the Qantas lounge has been cheapened since my previous visit. Only Chandon for bubbles and food is limited to soup, sushi & muffins. An odd assortment for breakfast time. I guess since there are no Qantas flights early in the day and the lounge is mainly being used as a contract lounge for the likes of Malaysian, there is little incentive to provide something nice?

At the appropriate time I head out to the adjacent gate. Boarding has just commenced and so I stroll through the priority boarding lane to my seat. The load today is fairly light (very light in business). The IFE is a loop system, non-AVOD. I didn't realise Cathay Pacific still had non-AVOD IFE. Nonetheless there were selections I enjoyed.

Lunch was served early in the flight. The flight passed quickly to me - eating, drinking with frequent top-ups, and just relaxing. For some reason the sauvignon blanc on the menu was not loaded but replaced with an undrinkable chardonnay.

I have no more difficult connections to make and so chilled out during the flight.

We had a short taxi to our high-numbered gate.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific
Business Class menu
Tokyo to Hong Kong
January 2010

Lunch

Starters

Snow crab with cucumber timbale, prawn salmon roe and sun-dried tomato mayonnaise

Seasonal salad with rice wine vinaigrette

Japanese cold noodles with mushroom

Main Courses

Simmered flounder with Mirin soya sauce, steamed Japanese rice and Japanese mixed vegetables

Braised beef shin with shiitake mushrooms, steamed Japanese rice and pak choy with carrots

Seared Cajun chicken with garlic parsley butter, sauteed potatoes with onions, mixed vegetables

Cheese and Dessert

Cheese selection

Fresh seasonal fruit

Ice cream

Black glutinous rice and tapioca pudding

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Drink List

Juices

orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke Zero, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coke Zero is now available on selected flights

Coffees

freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte
regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine, iced Oolong tea
organic selection : camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

501/509-4118J<01/10>

Wine List

Champagne

Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic
This award winning champagne features lovely aromas and flavours of pear and citrus fruit. Layered with toasted hazelnut, honey and sweet vanilla notes, the wine is balanced by refreshing acidity with a long, lingering finish. It is a perfect aperitif and goes well with delicate dishes.

White Wines

Aujoux Vire Clesse 2006
Vire-Clesse is located about 15 kilometres north of Macon, the most recent village appellation from the Macon region, Burgundy. The 2006 Aujoux Vire Clesse is a delightful pale, shimmering straw colour, which offers an intense nose with a touch of honey and hawthorn. The palate is rich and supple with a pleasant fresh and crisp finish. It is an ideal aperitif as well as an excellent accompaniment to white meat dishes.

Allan Scott Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007
The 2007 Allan Scott Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc has intense aromas of ripe tropical fruits with the flavoursome characters of pineapples and passion fruits. It offers a mouth-filling profile of flavours from typical Marlborough herbaceous notes, to a very ripe tropical fruit palate. This is the ideal accompaniment to seafood dishes.
[Note the SB was not loaded, and was replaced with an undrinkable Victorian Chardonnay.]

Red Wines

Peter Lehmann Barossa Shiraz 2006
The bouquet of the 2006 Barossa Shiraz shows lashings of classical Barossa Shiraz chocolate and dark plum aromas, given a gentle lift from the well seasoned French oak notes. It is a robustly structured wine, with mouth-filling generous fruit. This wine is a good accompaniment to red meat dishes.

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois 2005
Vieux Chateau Landon, situated in the Medoc area of Bordeaux, produces delicious wines in limited quantity of which a large portion is being served exclusively on Cathay Pacific. The 2005 vintage exhibits fruit scents of cherry and blackcurrant with a touch of vanilla. It is well balanced with soft tannins and flavours of black fruit, which leads to a round and delicate finish. It matches most red meat dishes perfectly.

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2004
This wine is sourced from the same vineyards that in exceptional years produce Dow's renowned Vintage Ports. It is aged solely in oak casks and bottled 5 to 6 years after the harvest. It is a full rich Port with spicy fruit flavours and an elegant aromatic nose, well rounded on the palate and has the traditional Dow's drier finish. This makes it one of the finest Late Bottled Vintage Ports available.

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Sake, Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel's, Canadian Club

Cognac

Hine "Rare and Delicate" Fine Champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, Cointreau, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

International selection

CX signature drinks

Oriental Breeze
A sour-plum tea and cranberry juice based non-alcoholic drink with honey and fresh lemon juice and a hint of rose water.

Cloud Nine
A refreshing combination of Vodka, Cointreau and Sprite with a refreshing touch of lemon flavour.

451(NRT/TPE),501,503,505,507,509,521,533,535,549,581 1-1-2010
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Coming up next - a crazy day flying hither and tither.
Seems to me that this comment could easily be interspersed throughout your report!

I generally like to wait until these Installment Reports have been completed before I read them. Seeing that yours was up to eight pages, I figured surely you'd completed your trip by now. But No! And of course, once I started reading your tale I just couldn't stop. What an amazing itinerary, contributing to yet another Kiwi Flyer Classic. Thanks for all your hard work, especially including the menu transcripts which many reporters are too lazy to include.

Over the past ten years, have you ever spent more than a month or two between flights?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
I, too, remain enthralled by this rather marvellous TR. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.