Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by serfty
See Here: http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...e=kiwi%20flyer

(Currently Evening in the Americas)
Except BA97.com has been having issues for the past week
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Phew - my aircraft has finally arrived. It was slightly concerning with different info sources couldn't agree on whether the inbound flight was cancelled or merely significntly delayed. Looks like I should make onward connection okay too as long as the a/c turns around quickly.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

BOGOTA to LIMA (BOG-LIM) on LAN A319 in premium economy class

When I arrived at Bogota it was raining fairly heavily. Mindful of another 2 days of continuous travel before I´d be able to see to any wet clothing I decided to stay at the airport instead of my original plan to head into town.

Everyone transitting got a pat down at security. Then I headed for the lounge by gate 7. It was a typical Admirals Club. Located in the basement. Plenty of space. Few amenities - no shower, no real food other than a couple of bits of fruit (I don´t count crackers and pretzels as food), one out of order computer terminal and another that was both painfully slow and also had some keys stuck making it difficult to use. The newspapers were several days old.

I caught up on some work and also read up about the new US DOT rules limiting tarmac delays to 3 hours. As posted above, when I checked the status of the incoming aircraft for my flight I got conflicting information but eventually determined it was rather late and not cancelled. Phew - no need to try to convince someone to transfer me to another airline and reroute in order to stay on my schedule.

The lounge staff started shutting up about an hour before the lounge was due to close. I can´t blame them for wanting to get home as soon as possible. I left so they could finish up and wandered for a bit.

Fortunately for me (with another onward connection to worry about) the aircraft did turn around very rapidly, so boarding commenced less than an hour minutes late.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The load was light, with just 2 people in premium economy and economy was also fairly empty. Since they´d put us both together I opted to switch seats so we both have more space and privacy.

The premium economy product on LAN is not bad, roughly equivalent to club europe on BA for example. No pre-departure drink and poor headphones. Overhead screen for IFE. Decent food and drink, the same as LAN´s business class on medium haul routes (longhaul is different with the option to be served a course at a time). Plentiful drink top ups.

I had a quick bite washed down by a few glasses and then slept for a while on this late evening flight. The flight was too short to get much sleep. We made up some time en route but still landed late.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Premium Economy Class menu
Bogota to Lima
December 2009

Express Dinner

Salad greens with seasonal vegetables

Main meals

Beef tenderloin, stir fried Nikkei style aromatized in Pisco and black beer, with rice and fried potatoes
Encierra / Blend 2006 / San Diego de Puquillay Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Grilled Chilean sea bass in squid ink, potato confit, chickpea cream and sauteed spinach
Catena / Chardonnay 2007 / Bodega Catena Zapata / Mendoza *

Chargrilled garden vegetable lasagna, green tomato fonduta, ricotta, pesto and artichokes
Viu Manent Reserve / Carmenere 2007 / Viu Manent Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Desserts

Passion fruit and lemon verbena panacotta with plum compote juice

Fresh seasonal fruit

Wines

Encierra, blend 2006
San Diego de Puquillay Winery - Colchagua Valley

Numina, malbec 2006
Salentein Winery - Uco Valley, Mendoza

Viu Manent Reserve, carmenere 2007
Viu Manent Winery - Colchagua Valley

Garuma Single Vineyard, sauvignon blanc 2008
Leyda Winery - San Antonio Valley

Bar Service

Alcoholic beverages
Chandon "Baron B", Pisco Sour, Vodka Absolut, Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label, Bailey's Irish Cream, Cognac Courvoisier VSOP, Beers

Non alcoholic beverages
Orange Juice, Fruit Juice, Tomato Juice, Mineral Water, Sparkling Water, Tonic Water, Softdrinks

Hot beverages
Coffee Musetti, Instant Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Dilmah Tea and Herbal, Ceylan, Earl Grey, Jasmine Green Tea, Green Tea, Chamomile, Mint

* Master Sommelier suggestion

LA2583-DIPTICO BC C3
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LIMA to SANTIAGO (LIM-SCL) on LAN 767-300ER in business class

Most passengers on my flight, and it seems other flights too, headed for international transfers. Thus there were long queues at security. Once back airside I headed for the Sumaq contract lounge. They didn´t accept my OW emerald card but business class was good enough to get in.

The lounge was packed. The business centre had a couple of families of kids playing games which seemed to suck all the bandwidth. Once they left for their flight suddenly the computer speed was decent again.
Plenty of food & drink selections.

I noticed the incoming aircraft was slightly late, but left shortly after boarding was due to commence so I could walk around and stretch my legs. It turned out the aircraft was more than a little late, arriving just before our scheduled departure at 0100. So I got a longer walk than I intended, but it was good.

Our flight load was light so boarding was completed quickly. Once all passengers were onboard I again switched seats to an empty row.

A pre-departure drink. Magazines and newspapers. Shoe bag. Breakfast order menu.

We sped out on our taxi and didn´t even pause to turn onto the runway and begin accelerating.

For a short red-eye flight (under 3 hours) I thought the announcements after take-off went on far too long, some 50 minutes! Spanish and English announcements about the flight, meal, duty free, expected arrival, etc.

I managed to doze for about an hour.

The schedule is heavily padded so despite our rather late departure we were on time for arrival. We got a gate well down the domestic end of the terminal, so a long walk to transfers. Halfway along the walk we got stuck as a door we needed to pass through was still locked. About 15 minutes later someone unlocked it remotely. This is the second time this has happened to me at SCL!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Lima to Santiago
December 2009

Breakfast

I will not have breakfast

Cold breakfast express will be served 40 min before landing
Orange juice and pastry. (Ask for this option if you prefer to extend your rest.)

Full Breakfast

Orange Juice
Fruit Juice
Coffee
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Coffee with milk
Milk
Low fat milk
Dilmah Ceylan tea
Dilmah Earl Grey tea
Dilmah tea with milk
Sparkling mineral water
Natural mineral water
Sugar
Sucralose

Fresh fruit
Yoghurt
Cereal
Cereal with milk

Pastry
White bread
Whole wheat bread
Croissant
Toasts
Crackers
Butter
Jam
Dulce de leche
Honey

Main dishes options
Assorted hams and cheese with toast
Hot plate of eggs with garnish
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SANTIAGO to CARACAS (SCL-CCS) on LAN 767-300ER in business class

The transfer desk was deserted so rather than hang around for an unknown amount of time I went through security and walked all the way back down the terminal to the Neruda lounge.

I wasn´t sure if they could do check in at the lounge but figured I could at least have a shower to freshen up while waiting. I got given one boarding pass and asked if I could also get checked in for the onward flights, because I expected this would greatly aid my next transit. After some effort (because the onward flight is on another airline) the agent managed to get another boarding pass. I decided not to push for the next onward flight (on a third airline).

I had time for a couple of drinks before boarding was called. The gate agent manning the priority lane was confused. Didn´t I board a flight to Miami 24 hours ago and here I am boarding another flight to Miami?!

Another light load today so again plenty of room to spread out. By now I have a routine and favourite drinks & food so can order without asking what the options are or look at the menu.

I was both dead tired and hungry, so I was grateful to drop off to sleep quickly and also grateful I was woken for lunch.

Our flight path was a bit odd. I expected it would track similarly to the previous day and just go to the east of Bogota and continue on to Caracas. The flight to Bogota flew just inland of the coast all the way to Tacna and then turned a bit to go past Cuzco, west of Iquitos to Neiva and then along the valley to Bogota. The flight to Caracas instead flew over the ocean to Lima, turned, went west of Iquitos and straight through to Valencia before turning east along the coast and mountains and then doubling back to land to the west.

Nice views though despite the scattered cumulus and haze.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Santiago to Caracas
December 2009

Refreshment

Camembert and salsa sandwich
Prosciutto and sprouts sandwich

Lunch

Salad greens with seasonal vegetables

Main meals

Magellan lamb chops with minted eggplant mash
Encierra / Blend 2006 / San Diego de Puquillay Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Pan seared conger with corn casserole and native potato chips from Chiloe Island
Catena / Chardonnay 2007 / Bodega Catena Zapata / Mendoza *

Red wine risotto with artichokes and grilled mushrooms
Viu Manent Reserve / Carmenere 2007 / Viu Manent Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Desserts

"Homemade" dulce de leche custard

Fresh seasonal fruit

* Master Sommelier suggestions

Beverages

Alcoholic Beverages

Champagne ¨Lois Roederer Brut Premier¨
Pisco Sour
Vodka Absolut
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label
Chivas Regal 12 year old Scotch Whisky
Bailey´s Irish Cream
Amaretto Di Saronno
Drambuie
Grand Marnier
Oporto Port Croft
Cognac Courvoisier VSOP
Pisco Acholado Vinas de Oro

Beers

Non Alcoholic Beverages

Orange Juice
Fruit Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Sparkling Water
Tonic Water
Softdrinks

Hot Beverages

Coffee Musetti
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

Dilmah Tea and Herbal Selection

Ceylan
Earl Grey
Jasmine Green Tea
Green Tea
Chamomile
Mint

LA570-CM BC C3

List of Wines

Champagne / Port

Maison Louis Roderer / Champagne Louis Roderer / Brut Premier / Reims, France
Brut Premier is born of the prestigious Champagne house Louis Roderer, with a history of exceptional champagne quality. This great Champagne is made from 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Meunier and it is the result of an assemblage of six different vintages. It presents a delicate bright yellow color, the bubbles are very small and continuous, with a bouquet that perfectly associates the vinosity with fresh and fruity notes. Its texture is creamy, with a perfectly integrated bubble, and a long aftertaste of great finesse and complexity.

Croft Oporto / Late Bottled Vintage 2003 / Vila Nova de Gaia / Portugal
The House of Croft Port, established since 1678, produces high range Ports, especially those selected from a particular crop like this LBV that has been aged for five years to attain this intense red garnet color, with a bouquet of dried fruits like figs and plums with sweet and velvety flavors, which is best to end meals and that combines very well with cheeses particularly those of blue streak as Roquefort.

Wines

Vina San Diego de Puquillay / Encierra 2006 / Peralillo, Valle De Colchagua
This great assemblage of noble vinestocks, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Carmenere and Petit Verdot, has developed a complex bouquet of ripe red berries, cedar and fine herbs. To the taste, it shows a very velvety texture which gives depth and volume, finishing very harmonious with a long aftertaste. Excellent with red meats such as sirloin and lamb ribs, and mature cheeses.

Vina Salentein / Numina 2006 / Valle de Uco - Mendoza
This assemblage comes from vineyards located between 1,300 and 1,150m above sea lebel in the Andean piedmont. Composed of 85% Malbec and 15% Merlot with 16 months aging in French oak barrels, it has an intense ruby red color, with a bouquet of black fruits and floral notes that evokes violets. To the mouth it´s full-bodied with ripe tannins and very long and linguerish finish. Great with grilled meats, pork tenderloin and mature cheeses.

Vina Viu Manent / Carmenere Reserva 2007 / Valle de Colchagua
Intense ruby red color with aromas of black fruits like ripe black cherries, plums, sweet spices and chocolate. The texture is soft with rounded tannins and good volume, with notes of coffee, leather and spices. Very good with grilled meats, pork tenderloin, pasta dishes and semi-mature cheeses.

Bodega Catena Zapata / Chardonnay 2007 / Mendoza
Wine that is born in the high altitude vineyards of Mendoza, located between 950 and 1,500m, resulting in aromatic and lively wines. With hints of white stone fruits, pineapple and mineral notes, a good concentration and a firm and long persistence. Most recommended for fish dishes such as salmon and tuna, and white meat dishes such as pork, chicken and turkey.

Vina Leyda / Garuma Vineyard / Sauvignon Blanc / Valle de San Antonio
This Sauvignon Blanc comes from a hillside vineyard with a strong maritime influence (12km from the coast), giving the wine a marked mineral character. Fresh aromas such as grapefruit, lime and wild herbs. It has a concentrated taste, with a very intense mid-palate and showcasing good minerality and long aftertaste. Wonderful with ceviches, seafood, fish and fresh cheeses.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Caracas

I haven´t mentioned much about transits for the past several days of travel, however I think the one in Caracas is different enough to warrant a post.

I disembarked and followed the signs for international transfers. There was an unmanned transfer desk and a couple of travellers who looked like they´d been waiting for a while. Since I already had a boarding pass I skipped by this and went to transfer security. I don´t speak Spanish well enough to understand exactly what the security officer was saying but the gist was my boarding pass was unacceptable and I´d have to go through immigration to get a proper one. I suspected the collection of departure taxes may also have had something to do with it.

By now there was a decent queue at immigration, not helped by just one officer dealing with all non-Venezuelans. I scribbled in the forms while I waited. I half hoped he would send me back to transfer but it wasn´t to be. Then another long queue for customs.

Once landside I knew there was little chance of avoiding the departure tax so I made my way to the counter. US$64 for the privilege of a 3 hour transit. Ouch. I walked to the entrance to immigration but could see no departure forms, so traipsed over to the check in counters. There were huge queues at most airlines, including the one I was to fly next, but I spotted one airline with no passengers and just a few check in agents idly chatting so I got a form from them.

To enter immigration need to pass the departure tax receipt in front of a barcode scanner which opens the turnstile. Inside there is a queue then a xray of carry on, then another queue, then another xray of carry on plus WTMD, then finally a queue for immigration.

Finally, 90 minutes after arriving I was back airside. I went to the lounge only to be again informed in Spanish that my boarding pass was unacceptable. 10 minutes later I was handed a replacement boarding pass.

In the end the transfer was comfortable enough, but I was glad the transfer time was reasonably long and we arrived early. That gave me peace of mind while spending all that time in queues.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Sounds like you're spending the Christmas holidays much more actively than many of us, Kiwi Flyer. Great to hear a report from some less commonly travelled routes to many of us. Hope the rest of the travels go well!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

CARACAS to MADRID (CCS-MAD) on Iberia A340-300 in business class

I was looking forward to this flight as it was my first longhaul flight on Iberia.
The Iberia lounge was basic but had 3 computers. I noted the inbound flight was late due to strong headwinds, and our departure was expected to be slightly late with an estimated arrival time 1 hour before schedule.

I left the lounge early to stretch my legs with a few laps of the terminal. Along the way I popped into the Admirals Club for a few moments, saw it was very basic with few amenities (2 computers though ^) and overcrowded and left again. I got to our gate some 20 minutes after boarding was scheduled and saw the cabin & flight crew board. I walked a bit more.

The crew took a while to get ready for boarding and this commenced around our scheduled departure time. Families with young kids first, then business class and OW emerald & sapphire.

The flight was totally full and had been zeroed out in availability for weeks. I swapped seats so a couple could sit together. I almost turned down the request because I was getting a window seat instead of my preferred aisle, and because there were several young kids in adjacent seats for the new seat.

A pre-departure drink of cava, orange juice or water.

The seat is a shell design. It was quite comfortable and well thought out design - handset for the AVOD IFE was well located as were some cubbies and drink bottle holder. Other bits were not so convenient - main pocket and several cubbies to put shoes, amenity kit, etc were well out of reach on the seat in front. Not the best business class seat around, but certainly far from the worst. For example I liked it more than BA´s club world seat.

Boarding completed and we rushed out. The safety video was barely half way through and not all the glasses were collected when we turned onto the runway and started the takeoff roll without a pause. Indeed we were well into the air before the safety video had finished.

After the initial climb, headphones were handed out, plus menus and amenity kits. No chance of a view due to the sun setting before we boarded.

Dinner service started an hour into the flight. It was slow paced, with drinks and each course of food in separate runs through with trolleys.

IFE is okay but not great. Several movies and tv programs. Selection by touch screen. The flightshow is odd - select ¨map¨and then on that screen there is a button for the usual information (speed, altitude, time to go, etc). The headphones were not very good - wrap around ear pieces that were not big enough and sometimes getting screechy feedback.

By the time dinner finished I was exhausted, and mindful that the flight time was going to be relatively short I dropped off to sleep. I was awoken a couple of hours later - the family next to me had moved one of their kids into the seat beside mine and he was kicking his own seat every few moments. I felt every kick as a movement in my seat too. Eventually he tired of it and fell asleep so I grabbed a few more winks, just getting to sleep when the cabin lights came on for breakfast.

It was still very dark outside but we saw lights of towns on the approach to Madrid. We made up a lot of time en route and landed slightly early.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Iberia
Business Class menu
Caracas to Madrid
December 2009

Dinner

Starters

hot bread and organic virgin extra olive oil

chicken consomme

marinated king prawns with coriander
fresh leaves salad with tomato and palm heart

Main Courses

beef tenderloin with mustard sauce
potato cake and sauteed red pepper

or

salmon back with sage and honey sauce
steamed potatoes and sauteed vegetables

or

aubergine panzerotti
with baked red pepper and white wine sauces

Desserts

cheese plate with dried fruits
blackberry jam

or

appel and nut strudel

or

tiramisu ice cream

Colombian coffee, herbal teas and spirits

Breakfast

To Wake Up

orange juice
fresh fruit
yoghurt
croissant, butter and jam
toasts and organic virgin extra olive oil

Colombian coffee and herbal teas

JAC/JDFL 04 CCS 0910

Wines

[each of the wines has tasting notes that are not transcribed here]

Red Wines

Marques de Riscal Reserva 2005
Red DO Ca Rioja

Marco Real Coleccion Privada
Crianza 2005
Red DO Navarra

Condado de Haza Crianza 2006
Red DO Ribera del Duero

White Wines

Mara Martin 2008
White DO Monterrei

Naia 2008
White DO Rueda

Sparkling, Sweet Wine and Spirits

Castillo Perelada, Brut Reserva
Cava

Tres Leones (Moscatel de Alejandria)
Sweet DO Malaga

Spirits selection

Spirits

Brandy
Cardenal Mendoza
Gran Duque de Alba

Gin
Bombay Sapphire

Liqueur
Crema de Alba
Drambuie

Rum
Ron Blanco Bacardi Carta Blanca
Ron Anejo Flor de Cana Centenario 12 anos
Ron Anejo Zacapa Centenario 23 anos

Vodka
Absolut

Whisky
Ballantine´s Blue 12 anos
Chivas Regal 12 anos
Glenfiddich Malt 12 anos
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay. I'll post some more as soon as I can. Some great travel highs and lows to come.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Madrid

On arrival I headed for the transfer desk. It wasn't well signposted. The MAD transfer desk agent was unable to check in BA passengers!

She called a BA agent and got me checked in, and hand wrote a boarding pass. She almost took it back to rip up upon being given advice from BA that I needed to go landside to check in for my next flight and also the one the next day leaving from UK. The advice relayed was that I would not be allowed to enter UK without the onward boarding pass. I hope this was just a translation issue as I've never heard such absurd misinformation given. (The requirement is to have an onward ticket and be able to provide evidence of such if asked at immigration.)

I asked if the boarding pass could be collected at the lounge or gate instead, but apparently this is not possible. Surprising lack of service at a oneworld hub trying to fly to another oneworld hub, involving airlines that are trying to merge no less.

The transfer desk agent relented and said I could go to the lounge with my hand-printed boarding pass. So I went through security to the nice new Velazquez lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.