Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
SYDNEY to AUCKLAND (SYD-AKL) on LAN A340-300 in business class

A short walk to security and on up to the lounge where I warmly welcomed back. First port of call was a shower. Ahh that is better.

Then a couple of drinks while checking messages, and just enough time for a quick post on FT. Boarding was called. The flight was again full in all classes.

I took my seat and watched the remaining passengers board. There were a few complaints about families being split up (due to checking in too late to get seats together). I had a quick chat with a couple of the flight attendants and then dozed off again.

I awoke just before we landed from the west. Another wait for the airbridge and then I dashed for transfer security where there was a long queue, and then up to the lounge to await my next flight.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Sydney to Auckland
December 2009

Refreshment

Main dishes

Toasted panini with cheese and chicken

Prosciutto and cheese sandwich

Panna cotta with pears

Wines

Encierra, blend 2006
San Diego de Puquillay Winery - Colchagua Valley

Numina, malbec 2006
Salentein Winery - Uco Valley, Mendoza

Viu Manent Reserve, carmenere 2007
Viu Manent Winery - Colchagua Valley

Garuma Single Vineyard, sauvignon blanc 2008
Leyda Winery - San Antonio Valley

Bar Service

Alcoholic beverages
Chandon "Baron B", Pisco Sour, Vodka Absolut, Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label, Bailey's Irish Cream, Cognac Courvoisier VSOP, Beers

Non alcoholic beverages
Orange Juice, Fruit Juice, Tomato Juice, Mineral Water, Sparkling Water, Tonic Water, Softdrinks

Hot beverages
Coffee Musetti, Instant Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Dilmah Tea and Herbal, Ceylan, Earl Grey, Jasmine Green Tea, Green Tea, Chamomile, Mint

LA800-DIPTICO BC C3
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SANTIAGO (AKL-SCL) on LAN A340-300 in business class

With the short transit time taken up mainly with security queues I did not have much time in the lounge. A quick chat with the staff, a couple of quick drinks and a check of messages and it was time to board.

For the third time today I took the same seat. The load in business was very light - less than half full. A pre-departure drink and some nuts were handed out but somehow I missed out. Perhaps I boarded too late?

Amenity kits were handed out. I like the LAN one - while small it has everything you need. Magazines offered were a poor selection. Menu was already in the seat pocket in front of me.

It took an hour after take off before the first drinks order was taken, followed shortly afterwards by dinner. Service was typical for LAN - friendly enough but the crew make few rounds through the cabin so you need to call for them to get a drink refill.

After dinner a water bottle was handed out. Despite the sleep I´d had today I was still tired and managed a few hours sleep before being woken up by the passenger across the aisle from me who was coughing up a lung.

Breakfast was quite good and we had fantastic views of the coastal plains and hills flying in to Santiago. We landed early and got the very end gate, so quite a walk to international transfers or immigration.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Auckland to Santiago
December 2009

Dinner

Salad greens with seasonal vegetables

Appetizer

Salmon, marinated with Kaffir lime and papaya sauce
Garuma Single Vineyard / Sauvignon Blanc 2008 / Leyda Winery / San Antonio Valley *

Golden yam soup with ginger

Main entrees

Grilled lamb ribs with mashed sweet potatoes
Encierra / Blend 2006 / San Diego de Puquillay Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Pappardelle with tomato sauce and seafood
Catena / Chardonnay 2007 / Bodega Catena Zapata / Mendoza *

Roasted chicken salad, steamed potatoes, cherry tomatoes, egg, capers and assorted lettuce
Viu Manent Reserve / Carmenere 2007 / Viu Manent Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Special cheese selection

Desserts

Artisanal ice cream

Strawberry cheesecake

Fresh seasonal fruit

Express Dinner

Choose this alternative if you want more time to rest.
Select one of the options of appetizers and main entrees
Salad
Cheese Plate
Select your dessert

Breakfast

You can choose between two options

Cold Express Breakfast,
to maximize your rest this option will be served 40 minutes before landing

Full Breakfast.
Select your option completing the preorder card that will be collected by the flight attendant.

* Master Sommelier suggestions

Beverages

Alcoholic Beverages

Champagne ¨Lois Roederer Brut Premier¨
Pisco Sour
Vodka Absolut
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label
Chivas Regal 12 year old Scotch Whisky
Bailey´s Irish Cream
Amaretto Di Saronno
Drambuie
Grand Marnier
Oporto Port Croft
Cognac Courvoisier VSOP
Pisco Acholado Vinas de Oro

Beers

Non Alcoholic Beverages

Orange Juice
Fruit Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Sparkling Water
Tonic Water
Softdrinks

Hot Beverages

Coffee Musetti
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

Dilmah Tea and Herbal Selection

Ceylan
Earl Grey
Jasmine Green Tea
Green Tea
Chamomile
Mint

LA800-CM BC C3

List of Wines

Champagne / Port

Maison Louis Roderer / Champagne Louis Roderer / Brut Premier / Reims, France
Brut Premier is born of the prestigious Champagne house Louis Roderer, with a history of exceptional champagne quality. This great Champagne is made from 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Meunier and it is the result of an assemblage of six different vintages. It presents a delicate bright yellow color, the bubbles are very small and continuous, with a bouquet that perfectly associates the vinosity with fresh and fruity notes. Its texture is creamy, with a perfectly integrated bubble, and a long aftertaste of great finesse and complexity.

Croft Oporto / Late Bottled Vintage 2003 / Vila Nova de Gaia / Portugal
The House of Croft Port, established since 1678, produces high range Ports, especially those selected from a particular crop like this LBV that has been aged for five years to attain this intense red garnet color, with a bouquet of dried fruits like figs and plums with sweet and velvety flavors, which is best to end meals and that combines very well with cheeses particularly those of blue streak as Roquefort.

Wines

Vina San Diego de Puquillay / Encierra 2006 / Peralillo, Valle De Colchagua
This great assemblage of noble vinestocks, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Carmenere and Petit Verdot, has developed a complex bouquet of ripe red berries, cedar and fine herbs. To the taste, it shows a very velvety texture which gives depth and volume, finishing very harmonious with a long aftertaste. Excellent with red meats such as sirloin and lamb ribs, and mature cheeses.

Vina Salentein / Numina 2006 / Valle de Uco - Mendoza
This assemblage comes from vineyards located between 1,300 and 1,150m above sea lebel in the Andean piedmont. Composed of 85% Malbec and 15% Merlot with 16 months aging in French oak barrels, it has an intense ruby red color, with a bouquet of black fruits and floral notes that evokes violets. To the mouth it´s full-bodied with ripe tannins and very long and linguerish finish. Great with grilled meats, pork tenderloin and mature cheeses.

Vina Viu Manent / Carmenere Reserva 2007 / Valle de Colchagua
Intense ruby red color with aromas of black fruits like ripe black cherries, plums, sweet spices and chocolate. The texture is soft with rounded tannins and good volume, with notes of coffee, leather and spices. Very good with grilled meats, pork tenderloin, pasta dishes and semi-mature cheeses.

Bodega Catena Zapata / Chardonnay 2007 / Mendoza
Wine that is born in the high altitude vineyards of Mendoza, located between 950 and 1,500m, resulting in aromatic and lively wines. With hints of white stone fruits, pineapple and mineral notes, a good concentration and a firm and long persistence. Most recommended for fish dishes such as salmon and tuna, and white meat dishes such as pork, chicken and turkey.

Vina Leyda / Garuma Vineyard / Sauvignon Blanc / Valle de San Antonio
This Sauvignon Blanc comes from a hillside vineyard with a strong maritime influence (12km from the coast), giving the wine a marked mineral character. Fresh aromas such as grapefruit, lime and wild herbs. It has a concentrated taste, with a very intense mid-palate and showcasing good minerality and long aftertaste. Wonderful with ceviches, seafood, fish and fresh cheeses.

Breakfast

I will not have breakfast

Cold breakfast express will be served 40 min before landing
Orange juice and pastry. (Ask for this option if you prefer to extend your rest.)

Full Breakfast

Orange Juice
Fruit Juice
Coffee
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Coffee with milk
Milk
Low fat milk
Dilmah Ceylan tea
Dilmah Earl Grey tea
Dilmah tea with milk
Sparkling mineral water
Natural mineral water
Sugar
Sucralose

Fresh fruit
Yoghurt
Cereal
Cereal with milk

Pastry
White bread
Whole wheat bread
Croissant
Toasts
Crackers
Butter
Jam
Dulce de leche
Honey

Main dishes options
Assorted hams and cheese with toast
Hot plate of eggs with garnish
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SANTIAGO to ASUNCION (SCL-ASU) on TAM A320-200 in economy class

I picked up some more boarding passes at the transfer desk, and headed through security for departures. I managed to use the LAN Neruda lounge thanks for my boarding pass for the next day, and took a shower to freshen up. I grabbed a quick bite. With no boarding call in the lounge for TAM flights I left early to make sure I didn´t miss it, and also to help keep myself awake.

The flight was not too full so I had a spare middle seat. Yay. I fell asleep shortly after take-off while staring at the Andes. I awoke on touchdown at Asuncion. So I slept right through my first TAM flight and missed out on the scenic views.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

ASUNCION to BUENOS AIRES (ASU-EZE) on TAM A320-200 in economy class

I didn´t have long before my next flight so just wandered around the airport terminal until it was time to board. No empty middle seat this time.

We had good views of the plains and rivers on the way south as the sun set. Once it got a bit dark to see clearly I took the opportunity to have another nap.

We arrived slightly early and I went straight to transfer security.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

BUENOS AIRES to SANTIAGO on LAN A320 in economy class

I´d booked the first flight the next morning, which gave a tightish connection at Santiago. Unfortunately since I booked this side trip the schedule had changed resulting in a too tight for comfort 40 minute transit at Santiago. In my pre-trip preparation I had noticed there was one last flight to Santiago leaving shortly after I arrived at Buenos Aires, and that the load did not seem too full.

So I rushed to the gate for the last LAN flight of the evening and asked if I could switch. I was just in the nick of time as they were closing up. Yes, there was room on this flight and I could fly tonight. My prep had paid off - just a few minutes dallying to security and I would have missed the opportunity. I soon had my boarding pass, thanked the agents profusely and I rushed down the airbridge.

The flight wasn´t very full so I even had an empty middle seat.
I dozed and watched the overhead screens. We arrived in darkness.

I thought about sleeping airside but on a snap decision decided to try my luck at the Holiday Inn at the airport so I could at least get a few hours in a real bed.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SANTIAGO to BOGOTA (SCL-BOG) on LAN 767-300ER in business class

A few hours of sleep and a shower later I headed into the terminal. Since I already had boarding passes for all my flights today there was no need to go to check in and I went straight through immigration and security, and back to the Neruda lounge.

I had some water while I checked my messages. Before long boarding was called.

The business class cabin was about 2/3 full, and I had an empty seat beside me. The seat is the same as in the A340, but slightly narrower.

Pre-departure drink of juice or water, magazines & newspapers were offered along with a shoe bag. The menu was in the seat pocket.

Shortly after take-off a snack was served, and 90 minutes before arrival lunch.

We had great views initially as we flew along the foothills, with rugged coast out one window and towering mountains out the other. Great views until all the blinds were closed so most passengers could sleep.

A few bumps over the upper Amazon basin, and again when recrossing the mountains before descending into Bogota. No view due to thick cloud, until just a couple of minutes before touchdown. We landed early.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Santiago to Bogota
December 2009

Refreshment

Camembert and salsa sandwich
Prosciutto and sprouts sandwich

Lunch

Salad greens with seasonal vegetables

Main meals

Magellan lamb chops with minted eggplant mash
Encierra / Blend 2006 / San Diego de Puquillay Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Pan seared conger with corn casserole and native potato chips from Chiloe Island
Catena / Chardonnay 2007 / Bodega Catena Zapata / Mendoza *

Red wine risotto with artichokes and grilled mushrooms
Viu Manent Reserve / Carmenere 2007 / Viu Manent Winery / Colchagua Valley *

Desserts

"Homemade" dulce de leche custard

Fresh seasonal fruit

* Master Sommelier suggestions

Beverages

Alcoholic Beverages

Champagne ¨Lois Roederer Brut Premier¨
Pisco Sour
Vodka Absolut
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label
Chivas Regal 12 year old Scotch Whisky
Bailey´s Irish Cream
Amaretto Di Saronno
Drambuie
Grand Marnier
Oporto Port Croft
Cognac Courvoisier VSOP
Pisco Acholado Vinas de Oro

Beers

Non Alcoholic Beverages

Orange Juice
Fruit Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Sparkling Water
Tonic Water
Softdrinks

Hot Beverages

Coffee Musetti
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

Dilmah Tea and Herbal Selection

Ceylan
Earl Grey
Jasmine Green Tea
Green Tea
Chamomile
Mint

LA570-CM BC C3

List of Wines

Champagne / Port

Maison Louis Roderer / Champagne Louis Roderer / Brut Premier / Reims, France
Brut Premier is born of the prestigious Champagne house Louis Roderer, with a history of exceptional champagne quality. This great Champagne is made from 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Meunier and it is the result of an assemblage of six different vintages. It presents a delicate bright yellow color, the bubbles are very small and continuous, with a bouquet that perfectly associates the vinosity with fresh and fruity notes. Its texture is creamy, with a perfectly integrated bubble, and a long aftertaste of great finesse and complexity.

Croft Oporto / Late Bottled Vintage 2003 / Vila Nova de Gaia / Portugal
The House of Croft Port, established since 1678, produces high range Ports, especially those selected from a particular crop like this LBV that has been aged for five years to attain this intense red garnet color, with a bouquet of dried fruits like figs and plums with sweet and velvety flavors, which is best to end meals and that combines very well with cheeses particularly those of blue streak as Roquefort.

Wines

Vina San Diego de Puquillay / Encierra 2006 / Peralillo, Valle De Colchagua
This great assemblage of noble vinestocks, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Carmenere and Petit Verdot, has developed a complex bouquet of ripe red berries, cedar and fine herbs. To the taste, it shows a very velvety texture which gives depth and volume, finishing very harmonious with a long aftertaste. Excellent with red meats such as sirloin and lamb ribs, and mature cheeses.

Vina Salentein / Numina 2006 / Valle de Uco - Mendoza
This assemblage comes from vineyards located between 1,300 and 1,150m above sea lebel in the Andean piedmont. Composed of 85% Malbec and 15% Merlot with 16 months aging in French oak barrels, it has an intense ruby red color, with a bouquet of black fruits and floral notes that evokes violets. To the mouth it´s full-bodied with ripe tannins and very long and linguerish finish. Great with grilled meats, pork tenderloin and mature cheeses.

Vina Viu Manent / Carmenere Reserva 2007 / Valle de Colchagua
Intense ruby red color with aromas of black fruits like ripe black cherries, plums, sweet spices and chocolate. The texture is soft with rounded tannins and good volume, with notes of coffee, leather and spices. Very good with grilled meats, pork tenderloin, pasta dishes and semi-mature cheeses.

Bodega Catena Zapata / Chardonnay 2007 / Mendoza
Wine that is born in the high altitude vineyards of Mendoza, located between 950 and 1,500m, resulting in aromatic and lively wines. With hints of white stone fruits, pineapple and mineral notes, a good concentration and a firm and long persistence. Most recommended for fish dishes such as salmon and tuna, and white meat dishes such as pork, chicken and turkey.

Vina Leyda / Garuma Vineyard / Sauvignon Blanc / Valle de San Antonio
This Sauvignon Blanc comes from a hillside vineyard with a strong maritime influence (12km from the coast), giving the wine a marked mineral character. Fresh aromas such as grapefruit, lime and wild herbs. It has a concentrated taste, with a very intense mid-palate and showcasing good minerality and long aftertaste. Wonderful with ceviches, seafood, fish and fresh cheeses.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Thumbs up

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying living vicariously through your TR! Thanks
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Fabulous stuff - I always enjoy these reports a lot. Nice to se ethat there are other people in the world who are as crazy about flying as me and have similar itineraries flying through multitude of airports and not really visiting any places...

Just one thing - have you ever thought about posting the flight dates - considering it is Chirstmas Eve now it would be nice to put things into perspective by finding out when did you actually take flights X and Z in your itinerary?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
... considering it is Chirstmas Eve now...
Actually, it's Christmas Day for us. And in true Kiwi Flyer fashion he's still awake at OMG o'clock finishing off his awesome TRs.

Merry Christmas, people!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I post as soon after the flight as I reasonably can. BTW not yet Christmas Day here.

I've just spotted the a/c for my next flight is running almost 4 hours late, so I need to check options for the next tricky bit of my itinerary. Back later.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I post as soon after the flight as I reasonably can. BTW not yet Christmas Day here.

I've just spotted the a/c for my next flight is running almost 4 hours late, so I need to check options for the next tricky bit of my itinerary. Back later.
Ahh, I thought you were back home already! I should've known better.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
... Just one thing - have you ever thought about posting the flight dates - considering it is Chirstmas Eve now it would be nice to put things into perspective by finding out when did you actually take flights X and Z in your itinerary?
See Here: http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...e=kiwi%20flyer

(Currently Evening in the Americas)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.