Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
How to find the registration / "tail" number on AA (and other) planes and flights

Numbers commonly associated with commercial aircraft include:
  • Registration (or "Tail") Number (in the US, begin with "N"), which may change with aircraft ownership and certainly so if ownership is also a change of registration country, comparably to an automobile's license number. Some refer to this as a "tail number", though it is generally found on the aft portion of the fuselage under or near the tail, and some aircraft sport the fleet number on the actual tail.

• Fleet Number or "nose code", a shorter identifying code, that is normally associated with the Registration Number, often only two or three (alphanumeric) characters; it may reflect some of the registration numbers or not, and may include other information (e.g. "ETOPS"). This number would be analogous to a company's auto fleet number.

• Manufacturer's Serial Number: (MSN or msn) or Construction Number (cn or c/n), which is like an automobile's Vehicle Identification Number or VIN - this number is issued to the hull itself and does not change, from construction to wrecking yard (with very few exceptions, such as a rebuild from multiple aircrafts). This number will also often appear on an affixed plate within the fuselage. This is the "gold standard" for identifying a specific aircraft, as Registration Numbers can be assigned to more than one aircraft at different times.

• Line Number: The constructor / manufacturer also assigns a Line Number that represents the order in which it was built relative to others of the same model on the production line.
E.g. AA Boeing 777-223ER registered in the US as N761AJ carries a fleet number 7BW on the nose gear door and was issued the Construction Number 31478 by Boeing, and it is the 393rd 777 built by Boeing. In some databases or photo sites, this will be represented as "N761AJ / 7BW (cn 31478/393)".

AA shows the Reg number in the FIL in Sabre.

For aircraft you can see, the registration number is generally painted on the aft fuselage near or before the tail root (not on the tail). If you can not see that, the fleet number is usually painted on the nose wheel door. (If you have that, you can easily determine the aircraft registration number.)

The numbers are also on a small metal plate affixed to the bulkhead near the first port (left) door. (It's best not to look for and read this when boarding with a queue behind one .)

Various sites where the aircraft and flight data are archived or displayed are discussed in the ensuing posts.

Print Wikipost

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jrhone
Executive operates as NA . Did you try that ?
Unfortunately it doesn't go by mere airline code - have to select the airline from the drop down list provided:

Only AA and MQ are listed - and MQ flts operated by Executive don't appear under either of them - is it because they're Puerto Rico based or has the USDOT oopsed?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Thought I'd share an update on my so far fruitless search; I think the answer to why MQ flights op by OW (Executive Airlines) are not included in BTS is found here: https://ntl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ntl...a=&p_li=&p_sp=

Title 14, part 234 of the Code of Federal Regulations requires only airlines with at least 1% of total domestic scheduled-service passenger revenue to report on-time performance statistics.
OW must be too small % wise and aren't included in MQ data because they have their own operating certificate.

Oh well. I should have written the registration down at the time. FYI for those flying on an AA ATR72 - write down the registration if you want it, 'cause you can't get it afterwards.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:42 pm

How to find aircraft reg?

Hi,

how can I find out what the registration number of the ATR 72 is, that was used for AA 4960 last Saturday (12th of September) from Jacksonville (JAX) to Miami (MIA)? It was an American Eagle flight operated by Executive.

TNX!

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:35 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

Thread now merged - see immediately upthread for potential problems with this particular one.
/Moderator

Wiki: Tail Numbers
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:02 pm

Ah, thanks for merging!

I was on the flight and wrote the tail number down, but can't find the paper slip now. :-(

Edit: I can't find any of the AA 4960 flights on the bts.gov-website. Not for any date. Maybe that's because they are operated by Executive?

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 18, 2009 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
Edit: I can't find any of the AA 4960 flights on the bts.gov-website. Not for any date. Maybe that's because they are operated by Executive?
Yes, it appears so, unfortunately. Maybe you can get something off of the ACARS searches, but it's hit or miss, especially for U.S. domestic flights.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:52 pm

Exclamation rzjets.net down

Appears that rzjets.net has been taken down indefinitely:

THE SITE IS CLOSED

I AM SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT DUE TO THE REPEATED ABUSE FROM OUR FRIENDS IN AMMAN, RZJETS HAS BEEN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
if you have any questions you can email those to [email protected]
Really unfortunate, as this was the most useful site for cross-referencing AA ship and tail numbers, as well as for finding other historical info. I think most of the mainline aircraft are still covered in the other resources linked from the wiki, but we may need to start our own list there for Eagle.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I noticed that as well, but the site appears to be back up today. It is a great resource and I hope our friends in Amman do not cause additional disruptions. I don't know of any other place to get AA fleet numbers.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Information that might be helpful for those wanting to keep records of tail numbers of AA flights they are on:

ERJs always have the tail number on a certificate on the inside of the cockpit door as well as on a black placard on the galley wall. The fleet number is also painted on the nose wheel gear bay door. Tail numbers generally end in AE but many do not. The second digit of the tail number (and the first digit of the fleet number) identify the aircraft - 7 for 135, 8 for 140, and 6 for 145.

CRJs always have the tail number on a certificate on the inside of the cockpit door as well as on a black placard on the galley wall. The fleet number is also painted on the nose wheel gear bay door. Tail numbers generally end in AE but many do not. The second digit of the tail number (and first digit of the fleet number) will be 5.

MD80s have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door as well as just aft of 1L/1R (you can see it from the jetbridge while boarding). You can also see the tail number above the FOs instrument panel while boarding. The fleet number will start with 4 or 5. Tail numbers generally end in AA or TW (depending on former owner), but strings of all numbers are possible.

737s have the tail number posted above the 1L entry door. They also have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door as well as aft of the rear cargo doors. Fleet numbers are in the 9XX or 3XX series and will contain letters, and the tail number is generally N9XXAN, except for the new 738s, which are N8XXXX.

757s have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door, and almost always posted by the 1L door near the jumpseats on a blue AA placard. The fleet number is 5XX but to avoid confusion with the MD80s the second and third digits are letters instead of numbers. This doesnt map to a tail number but the format is N6XXAN or N6XXAA.

767s have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door and the underwing fueling ports, and sometimes on a placard on the wall of the J bulkhead on the left side of the aircraft near L1. The tail number and fleet number are also posted in the midship (row 17) galley on the forward right wall in the galley, near the coffee makers. The fleet number is 3XX, and will be numbers, not letters. This usually maps directly to a tail number N3XXAN or N3XXAA.

777s have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door and the underwing fueling ports, and aft of the rear cargo doors. Fleet numbers are in the 7XX series, and the tail number is generally N7XXAN or N7XXAA.

Additionally, at many airports, (DFW, ORD, LAX, JFK, MIA) there is a departure board mounted to the outside terminal wall for the pilots and ground crew to look at that also gives the fleet number. You can generally see this from the plane.

Also, at LHR, the AC keeps a list of departing flights and the equipment they will be using (fleet and tail numbers). You can see this when you check into the club, but you have to be slick and read it upside down.

Last edited by AA2070; Dec 2, 2009 at 9:21 am Reason: Clairification of 737 and 767 fleet numbers
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
I noticed that as well, but the site appears to be back up today. It is a great resource and I hope our friends in Amman do not cause additional disruptions. I don't know of any other place to get AA fleet numbers.
Fantastic - I just grabbed an electronic copy of all the current AA aircraft, just in case!

AA2070, that's a great list! ^ I've added it to the wiki here:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...rs_on_Aircraft
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
With the new 737 deliveries, American switched to a new registration series, N800NN, with ship 3DY. The last registration in the old series is N992AN on ship 3DX.

And right in the middle of using rzjets.net to verify the fleet numbers I got the Amman message again.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by AA2070
737s have the tail number posted above the 1L entry door. They also have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door as well as aft of the rear cargo doors. Fleet numbers are in the 9XX or 8XX series, and the tail number is generally N9XXAN.

767s have the fleet number painted on the nose gear bay door and the underwing fueling ports, and sometimes on a placard on the wall of the J bulkhead on the left side of the aircraft near L1. The tail number and fleet number are also posted in the midship (row 17) galley on the forward right wall in the galley, near the coffee makers. The fleet number is 3XX. This usually maps directly to a tail number N3XXAN or N3XXAA.
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
With the new 737 deliveries, American switched to a new registration series, N800NN, with ship 3DY. The last registration in the old series is N992AN on ship 3DX.

And right in the middle of using rzjets.net to verify the fleet numbers I got the Amman message again.

I'll have to check the fleetlist when I get back on my other computer, but this does remind me that I think 737-800 ship numbers are, indeed, 3XX (two letters), while 767-200 and -300 ship numbers are 3## (two numbers).

I'll try to post a copy to the wiki when I have time - PM me if you need a copy of the file I grabbed in the meantime.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by dstan

I'll have to check the fleetlist when I get back on my other computer, but this does remind me that I think 737-800 ship numbers are, indeed, 3XX (two letters), while 767-200 and -300 ship numbers are 3## (two numbers).

I'll try to post a copy to the wiki when I have time - PM me if you need a copy of the file I grabbed in the meantime.
It's possible. I haven't flown on EVERY AA plane yet - this was all based on observation. I've edited my OP to include the differences between 737 and 767s.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by dstan
This is correct.

Other errors noted in the list posted above are that there are also 757s with fleet numbers in the 600 series (all numeric). So 757s can either be 5xx or 6##.

There are also MD80s with 200 series fleet numbers (all numeric). MD80s can be 2##, 4##, 5##, or 4xx (the former TW MD80s are the 4xx with letters; all the native AA MD80s are strictly numeric fleet numbers).

I've seen former TW MD80s that have registration numbers that don't end in TW - a single V on the end seems common. Also there are some native AA MD80s with a reg. of N####A or (single A at the end) and of course the aforementioned MD80s with solely numeric regs ranging from 3 to 5 digits.

Some fleet number formats from types no longer with AA include 2xx (F100), 1xx (MD11), 1## (DC-10), 7## and 8## (727).
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:43 pm

OK, I've reformatted the wiki section a bit and added more info based on the above, as well as rzjets (when it's been up):

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...mbers_%28AA%29

Of course, feel free to make any other changes/additions necessary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.