Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by MrSydney
How an earth did you manage to polish the bottle before the plane had even passed Adelaide? Alice Spring, yes, but not Adelaide!
By being a true Kiwi

Excellent TR. Hope the mega-do is awesome!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Oops I had much less time than I thought. Back to the report.

With such a light load in first class the service was fantastic. At some stage I switched to Dom 2000. I also had a couple of glasses of my favourite red with dinner.

I watched a movie, read, drank and ate. It was several hours of pure indulgence.

The second, light, meal was also timed at my request.

We had a short taxi to our gate near the end of F pier. It has been a while since I've pulled into terminal 2 at Singapore, but my memories of countless flights to & from gate F60 came flooding back to me as we disembarked.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
Melbourne to Singapore
November 2009

Lunch Menu

Appetisers

Chilled malossol caviar
With melba toast and condiments

Duckliver terrine with kumquat compote, toasted brioche, salad, balsamic syrup

Soups

Chinese clear broth with pork dumplings

Cream of asparagus garnished with roasted pinenuts

Salad

Salad of fresh baby chard, frisee, red whitloaf, asparagus, soft cape goat cheese, dried cranberry, pistachio nuts
Balsamic and virgin olive oil dressing
Thousand Island dressing

Main Courses

Beef ribeye with cafe de paris butter, green beans and fondant potato

Steamed snapper filler with lemongrass served with light sesame dressing, selected vegetables and fragrant jasmine rice

Braised lamb shank in red wine sauce served with buttered vegetable and creamy polenta

Indian rogan josh chicken with spiced vegetables and pilaff rice

Pesto and goat cheese ravioli served with tomato coulis, roasted baby beet, sauteed cos lettuce

Desserts

Summer berry pudding

Mango, coconut and lychee ice creams
Topped with passionfruit coulis, fresh berris

Cheeses

Selection of assorted cheeses served with grapes, nuts and crackers

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas served with pralines

Refreshment

Light Bites

Kao tom
Thai style rice porridge with sliced pork and pork meatball, fried garlic and pickled vegetable

Middle eastern style baked salmon with walnut, onion, tahini and yoghurt crust served with assorted tomato and mesclun salad

Champagnes and Wines

Champagnes

Dom Perignon 2000
Named after the monk in charge of the cellars in the Abbey of Hautvillers at the end of the 17th century who is credited with having "invented" Champagne. Cuvee Dom Perignon has an almost mystical reputation. According to the brilliant winemaker-in-chief Richard Geoffroy, quality is based on harmony, a perfect blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes where nothing is lost and everything comes together. The 2000 vintage shows the proof of this to perfection.

Krug Grand Cuvee
Founded in Reims in 1843, the House of Krug is now managed by the 5th and 6th generations of the Krug family. Rigourous selection and care go into every detail of the "multi-vintage" Grande Cuvee, which offers a magical combination of aromatic complexity, power and finesse with a long, lingering finish. Krug is the ultimate experience in champagne.

White Wines

Petulama Chardonnay 2006 Adelaide Hills, Australia
The Adelaide Hills is one of Australia's most exciting new cool climate regions. And being cool, the Chardonnay from this region is far more refined and elegant than wines from warmer sites. The grapes for this wine were harvested from seven "distinguished sites" in the Piccadilly Valley sub-region of the Adelaide Hills. The grapes were puicked and fermented in French barriques. The wine has wonderful fruit purity combined with minerality and light acidity. Produced by Andrew Hardy, Petulama certainly deserves its iconic status in Australia.

Rudesheimer Riesling Spatlese 2006 Rheingau Balthasar Ress
The family-owned Ress Estate dates from 1870 and is one of the most important in Germany's famous Rheingau region. Above the little town of Rudesheim on the river Rhine the Riesling vines grow on steeply terraced south-facing slopes, whose rocky barren soils originating from quartz and slate always provide outstanding natural ripeness and concentration. Showing a lemon yellow colour, white flower aromas with a hint of honeysuckle and fresh limes, soft summer fruits on the palate and a refreshing acidity that balances the touch of sweetness, the 2006 vintage, small but of excellent quality, is now simply delicious.

Red Wines

Chateau Cos d'Estournel 2004 Saint-Estephe
With 65 hectares of superbly situated vineyards that adjoin those of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in neighbouring Pauillac, Cos d'Estournel is recognised as the leading estate in Saint-Estephe. The wine is known for its intense classic Cabernet Sauvignon fruit blended with carefully selected Merlot to provide a rich roundness on the finish. Deep black cherry red, with aromas of crushed summer berries, the succulent concentration of flavour on the palate is now beginning to open up to show the quality and finish of the excellent 2004 vintage.

Mr Riggs The Gaffer Shiraz 2005 McLaren Vale, Australia
Mr Riggs also known as Ben, has been making wine in McLaren Vale for over 21 years. His Mr Riggs Shiraz is one of the most exciting in the region. It is rich, ripe and full bodied and despite being matured for 12 months in French Oak barrels, it has a fruit purity that fully expresses the region in which it has grown. The wine is named in honour of Ben's great-great-great-grandfather who was known as The Gaffer, a colloquial term for the boss or foreman.

Port

Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Dow possesses some of the finest vineyards in the Upper Duoro and is one of the oldest names in the history of Port, dating back to 1798. The beautifully balanced Tawny Port is carefully matured over 20 years in wooden barrels known as "pipes" before being bottled. Light tawny in colour, showing mature raisiny fruit aromas with hints of honey. It is rich and nutty on the palate, with a wonderful balance, a clean crisp finish and a soft lingering aftertaste.

Cocktails

Featured Mix

Tropical Sparkle
A refreshing-yet-fruity blend of lime cordial and 7-Up, with orange and tomato juice

Cocktails

Silver Kris Sling
One of our special touches made with gin, Cointreau and orange and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritzer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice and Sling mix, topped with ginger ale

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Sweetness in Darkness
A unique mix of red wine and a splash of Coke

Vodka Flush
A tantalizing drink of vodka, apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-Up

Apple Bliss
A tantalizing refreshment of apple juice and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Awaiting the Golden Dawn
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato & orange juice

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

All-time Favourites

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, Dom, Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime & pineapple juice

Screwdriver
A classic concoction of vodka and orange juice

Fruit Spritzer
A simple yet delightfully refreshing mix of apple juice and 7-Up

Orange Cooler
A light tangy drink created from orange juice and ginger ale with a touch of lime cordial

Appetising Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

Spirits

Spirits

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky
A time-honoured distillation process and the traditional skills of master craftsmen create a satisfyingly complex single malt characterised by a full-bodied flavour with hints of dried fruit and spice

Cognac XO - Hennessey

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer

Victoria Bitter

Beverages

Gourmet Coffees

Enjoy the invigorating aroma and rich flavour from our selection of the finest brew.

Brazil Santos Bourbon
A smooth, nutty coffee with a balanced body and clean aftertaste

Colombian Supremo
A good, all-rounded coffee with a light body and a smooth, clean aftertaste

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Often called the champagne of coffee, this full bodied classic is rich in aroma and flavour, yet perfectly balanced.

Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro
A medium-bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Specialty Coffees*

Brewed Coffee
Our exclusive blend of coffee, freshly brewed

Cafe Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO brandy

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee, the gourmet's choice

Cappuccino
An all time favourite, espresso enriched with an abundance of foamed milk

Cafe Latte
Mild espresso topped with steamed milk and a dash of foam

Cafe au Lait
A double espresso topped with steamed milk

Decaffeinated Coffee
A full-flavoured alternative without caffeine

Mocha
A delicious combination of coffee, milk and chocolate

Other Beverages

Chocolate
An ideal treat of smooth rich cocoa and milk

Ovaltine
A nutritious chocolate malt drink

Milo
A nutritious drink for that extra energy

International Teas*

Royal Darjeeling
An exquisite black tea that develops remarkable overtones of ripe apricots

Nuwara Eilya OP Ceylon
An Orange Pekoe black tea renowned for its light and generous complexity

Earl Grey
A legendary classic blend of black tea richly infused with the finest TWG Tea bergamot

English Breakfast Tea
A timeless classic black tea with an invigorating full bodied and robust flavour

Singapore Breakfast Tea
An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet, lingering aftertaste

Paris-Singapore Tea
A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits

Alfonso Fruit Tea
A magnificent alliance of black tea, rare mango and a secret combination of TWG Tea fruits and flowers

Moroccan Mint Tea
A perfect blend of delicate green tea and stong Sahara mint

Chamomile
Soft and soothing chamomile flowers yielding a golden, caffeine-free cup

Decaffeinated Earl Grey
A caffeine-free black tea alternative infused with TWG Tea bergamot

Asian Teas*

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Japanese Green Tea
Delicate aroma with a fresh clean taste

Chinese Teas

Jasmine
An aromatic green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

*Available hot or with ice

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juices

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light/Coke Zero

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat

*Available hot or with ice

SQ238A MEL-SIN (LF/HRF) 34-1.1 10-11 FC
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE

I walked, or rather staggered, to transit F to check in for my onward flight. Unfortunately only transit E can check me in. So I continued walking through the terminal. I was quickly checked in and doubled back to the Silver Kris first class lounge. This was my first time in a long time that I'd visited the terminal 2 first class lounge. The Singapore transit tour desk under the escalator was gone.

Inside the lounge I first had a shower, then a quick drink (Charles Heidsieck being the bubbles on offer), and catch up on some messages.

I'd been up for something over 30 hours and had little sleep for more than 3 days so it was a struggle to stay awake until it was time to leave for boarding.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE to FRANKFURT (SIN-FRA) on Lufthansa 747-400 in first class

The gate was fairly close - a high numbered E gate. The flight was very full so the gate lounge was crowded (standing room only) and there also was a lengthy queue at security. I'd barely gotten inside when boarding was called for First class and HON passengers, as well as families travelling with infants. There was a huge mass of people blocking the doors so those who could actually board had to weave by against the wall instead of taking the aisle in the midle of the gate lounge.

I had it tough getting by with just a small rollaboard. Those with prams were finding it very difficult and I felt compelled to have a few words with a few particularly obnoxious people blocking the way who initially refused to make room for some pax with prams to pass. How rude & utterly selfish.

Even though the left hand airbridge was marked for first and business class I couldn't see the point and took the right hand one. I'm headed upstairs and door 2L is much more convenient than 1L, plus no struggle through the aisle whilst some business class passengers settle into their seats.

Upstairs I grabbed a couple of magazines on my way to my preferred exit row window seat (aka 83A), dumped the rollaboard behind me and settled in.

The trolley in front of the seat had amenity kits, pajamas and slippers. Many passengers helped themselves (some took more than one of each item), and cabin crew also handed some out. I was fortunate to get one of the Rimowa amenity kits, because they ran out.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Boarding took a long time to complete so I had ample opportunity for some pre-departure drinks in the hope this would keep me sufficiently awake until dinner. I didn't think that strategy was working as I had some head-drops even before we set off, however, it must have worked because I did manage to stay awake just long enough to eat.

We had the usual minor delay for slot clearance. There are lots of flights at this hour of night and it isn't uncommon to sit at the gate for 10 minutes or so waiting for pushback, and a slow taxi as well.

I wasn't impressed with the IFE offering. Not only is the screen ridiculously small by modern standards but the movies and tv shows available are a very mediocre selection. So, instead I played the "which places shown on Flight Path have I been to" game to amuse myself. I was too tired to read the magazines.

The chief purser (or whatever the title is at Lufthansa) did his usual walk-through meeting all status passengers in order of status. Amazingly there were no HONs onboard!

I was very pleased to see a quick meal option had been added to the menu. One of my gripes with flying Lufthansa in first class is their meal services take an eternity. With the quick meal option you get served first and the whole meal (except for breads) is placed on a tray at once - thus no waiting between courses and also a quick clearance when you are done.

The downside of this option is for passengers who choose the full meal. Especially on flights like this one which were totally full. The long slow meal service is even longer when it doesn't start until after the passengers who've opted for the quick meal option have finished. With a midnight departure from Singapore, I was finished eating by 1:30am Singapore time whereas those who took the full meal option (and did every course) likely wouldn't have finished much before 4am Singapore time!

I managed a few hours sleep, awaking when the crew started getting ready for breakfast about 3 hours out from Frankfurt. The crew were being very quiet so I'm not sure why I awoke, perhaps it was excitement about the next few days of fun? I made use of the bathroom ahead of the pre-arrival rush.

The breakfast service started an hour later and was not well coordinated. I had a 30 minute wait between order being taken and food delivered. When it arrived the food was mostly inedible so I closed my eyes and tried, unsuccessfully, to get some more sleep.

We arrived in Frankfurt slightly early at 0530 and got a B gate (unlike the JFK-FRA 747 starmegado flight which got a remote stand - a typical welcome to Frankfurt folks).
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
First Class menu
Singapore to Frankfurt
November 2009

Dreamer's Delight

Use the time on board to get some restful sleep; in the form of our Dreamer's Delight, a select meal served in one course.

Cold Gourmet Plate

Seared Duck Breast and smoked Salmon Rolls with Apple and Bean Curd Salad

or

Hot Specialty

Pan fried Garupa with Garlic Oyster Sauce,
fried Rice with Vegetables and sauteed Bok Choy

Cheese and Dessert

Camembert, Whiskey Cheddar and Stilton Cheese

Fresh Fruit

Menu

Choice of Hors d’oeuvres

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes

Ginger marinated Chicken and Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Sesame Dressing

Seared Tuna, Nicoise Style with Pesto Dressing

Green Asparagus with Tartare of Sun dried Tomatoes, Seaweed Dressing

Salad

Romaine Lettuce
presented with Dressing

Choice of Main Courses

Braised Grass fed Beef with Jus, Egg Dumplings, Shimeji Mushrooms and Onions

Brochette of Sea Prawns with yellow Thai Curry
accompanied by Orechhiette Noodles and braised Cabbage

Roasted Peking Duck Breast with Plum Sauce, steamed Rice with Yam and sweet Pea

Mixed Vegetable crumbed Patties served with spicy Tomato Sauce

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Stilton, Parmesan, Camembert, Whiskey Cheddar and Goat Cheese
garnished with Grapes, Carrot and Celery

Bitter Chocolate Feuillantine with Chantilly

Apple Tart with Butter Nut Squash Sauce

Specialty Dessert Wines

LH 779 11/09-12/09

Vinothek

Champagne

“D” de Devaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Devaux, Frankreich
Like so many champagne houses, the house of Devaux, founded in 1846, also has to thank a widow for its success. The widow, Augusta Devaux, made the business a success in the second half of the 19th century, thereby bringing herself into the ranks of the famous champagne widows. This cuvee "D" ties in with the success of the great champagnes. It is a composition whose complex interaction of aromas is reminiscent of elder blossom, orange zest and fine, nutty notes. On the palate the freshness of the chardonnay knits perfectly with the fruit and opulence of the pinot noir. The widow would no doubt be proud to know that her champagne was the winner of the Lufthansa blind tasting.

Aperitif

Campari
A red mild bitters-type cordial.

Sherry "La Guita"
A classic Sherry with fruity flavor and a taste of elegant saltiness, typical of Manzanilla Sherry.

Monthly Proposal

2005 Stellenboch Pinotage, Kanonkop, Sudafrika
Even the name is a little bit of history and comes from a hill where a canon was fired off in the 17th century to warn the local peasants that ships had arrived in Cape Town's harbour. The peasants then loaded up their team of oxen and took their home-grown produce, mostly fresh fruit and vegetables, to Cape Town. The seamen and travellers were grateful recipients. It seems like you can sense the breath of history on this ancient family wine estate in its beautiful location. This is also true in the vineyards where the over 50 year old Pinotage vines were planted in the traditional way as bush vines. This training method ensures optimum exposure to sunlight and the vines require less water. The wine is even made in the ancient traditional way in open vinification tanks, which are broad and flat rather than high and deep so that contact with the grape skins is maximised. The young wine then matures for 16 months in French Nevers oak barriques.
The result is delightful with its deep purple colour and almost black centre. The bouquet is intense, suggesting blackcurrants, ripe plums and juicy blackberries as well as a subtle spiciness from the wood and a powerful mineral streak. On the palate this superb wine shows its powerful character, wonderful length and ripe tannins. This is a wine which exemplifies why cellarmaster Abrie Beeslaar was voted the world's best winemaker in 2008.

White Wine

2008 "Semper Vivum" Riesling Spatlese trocken, Weingut Motzenbacker, Deutschland
The writer, Karl May, was once a guest in the Florentine palace belonging to the Motzenbacker family, and allowed himself to be pampered with their fine rieslings. Today First Class passengers can enjoy one of the wines from this richly traditional wine estate in the Palatinate. The vineyards are in the best sites in the Mittelhaardt and guarantee pure wine pleasure. This dry riesling Spatlese has intense, juicy fruit, touches of ripe apricots, as well as a hint of pineapple and fresh herbs. The palate of this superb wine is characterised by lively acidity counterbalanced with fruity sweetness.

2007 Russian River Valler Chardonnay "Directors Cut", Francis Ford Coppola, USA
Francis Ford Coppola is not just an exceptionally gifted film director but also a passionate winemaker. He has created ideal conditions in Sonoma County for his team with winemaker Cory Beck. This wine is from the perfect 2007 vintage and was vinified in small French oak barrels. The young wine was then matured for 12 months in the barriques, and this has had a profound influence on the wine's character. It shows an effusive array of aromas including vanilla, subtle toasty notes, ripe apple, juicy pear, exotic passion fruit and a touch of pineapple. On the palate the wine combines power, elegance and freshness.

2009 Leyda Vineyard "Limited Selection" Sauvignon Blanc, Montes, Chile
Leyda Valley is the youngest and smallest quality wine-producing region in Chile. The vineyards are near the Pacific coast and the quality of the grapes is thereby influenced by the cool climate with its morning mists and moderate day-time temperatures giving a longer ripening period. This allows top-class wines to be produced. Thanks to careful handling, this sauvignon blanc has retained all the intrinsic fruit of the grapes. With its powerful aromatics, clearly suggestive of ripe mango, passion-fruit, grapefruit and gooseberries as well as citrus notes and a subtle spiciness, this wine is an absolute classic. On the palate the wine has good structure and is well-balanced with a long, persistent finish.

Red Wine

2005 Duoro Reserva, Quinta das Tecedeiras, Portugal
Portugal has some real discoveries to offer. Indigenous grapes, such as tourgia nacional, tinta roriz, tinta barocca, touriga franca and the tinta amarela, some of which are over a hundred years old, dig their roots deep into the slate bedrock in the heart of the Duoro Valley. Port, with its opulent style, used to be made from these grapes, however today outstanding red wines are made, such as this Reserva, which is most pleasing with its intense berry fruit, ripe aromas and juicy character on the palate.

2002 Chateau Belgrave, Cru Classe, Haut-Medoc, Frankreich
This renowned Chateau, situated in Saint Laurent, is one of the oldest wine estates in the region. Its name points to the quality of the soil, as the translation of "Belgrave" means "beautiful pebbles". The famous oenologist Michel Rolland is the consultant here and the wine style combines both classic and modern elements, as can be noted particularly in the bouquet with its ripe fruit aromas and discrete toastiness, as well as the silky tannins and excellent length on the palate.

Dessert Wine

2005 Tokaija Edes Late Harvest, Oremus, Ungarn
The wines from Tokaj are legendary: Catherine the Great had a wine board of thirty people to secure the best wines for her; it helped Beethoven whilst he was composing and Voltaire let himslef be inspired by it. The grapes, which succumb to noble rot very easily, thrive on the volcanic soils and in the Pannonian climate in the eastern part of Hungary. The result is wine of great concentration and depth, such as this wine from the top wine estate, Oremus. This Tokaj has most appealing aromatics with touches of honey, pear, apricot, candied lemon peel and gentle spices and its opulence is tamed by elegant acidity.

Monthly Proposal

Etter Weihnactspflumli, Schweiz
People throughout history have always like to enjoy themselves. Spiced wine was all the rage in the late middle ages, as back then spice specialties from Asia cost a fortune and a host was judged by the amount of spices proffered, not by how they tasted. Switzerland was no exception to this and therefore spiced wines such as the red "Hypocras", aromatic liqueurs or spicy pepper cake were offered to guests, especially at Christmas. Old recipes from the rich patrician houses show that food and beverages were often so "peppered" that they were no pleasure at all to eat or drink. The amount of spices used was often far too much as a means of showing off an individual's wealth under the premise "more is more". However, when used in the right doses, spices at Christmas time can be a true delight. The best example of this is the Christmas plum liqueur from Etter. This liqueur picks up on the tradition of producing finely spiced specialties. The basis for this liqueur, produced especially for the festive season, is the pure fruit brandy, "Lohrpflumli". The juice of the Lohr plum, together with a secret mixture of Christmassy spices such as cinnamon, coriander and cloves, gives this superb plum brandy a fruity taste, which combines perfectly with gentle hints of spice. Highly enjoyable, this brandy manages to unite an old tradition with modern times.

Spirits

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7
Amber colored Whiskey with distinctive caramel, vanilla and almond notes and a touch of fruity impressions.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Superior brand with an intense, opulent aroma and the typical peaty character.

Bushmills Malt 10 Years Old
This is a whiskey with soft notes of vanilla, a fine malty character and restrained honeyed sweetness.

Smirnoff Red Vodka
Triple-distilled and filtered ten times for exceptional smoothness and purity.

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
Predominant juniper notes, balanced with impression of lemon peel and coriander.

Cognac Lhéraud Cuvée 30
A fine and mature cognac from an exceptional distiller.

Calvados Pays d’Auge AC, Daron
The long maturation process in oak barrels brings out crisp and sweet aromas of apple, pear and vanilla.

Fernet Branca
An aromatic blend of about 40 herbs and spices.

Tequila
Exclusively on flights to and from Mexico.

Walcher Williams Exclusiv
A juicy and very fruity poire Williams with long-lasting flavour and a very typical finish.

Etter Zuger Kirsch, 42 Vol %, Jahrgang 2005
Made from the Swiss “Lauerz” cherries, full-bodied, aromatic and refined.

Liqueur and Port

Baileys Irish Cream
A delicious cream liqueur made entirely in Ireland from a combination of dairy cream, Irish Whiskey and the smooth flavour of chocolate and vanilla.

Niepoort Portwein
An intensive, young and powerful port with a decent fruit flavour.

Cold Beverages

Mineral water
Apollinaris, sparkling natural mineral water
Elisabethenquelle, natural mineral water

Fruit juices
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Orange Juice

Soft Drinks
Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola light, Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water, Kinley Bitter Lemon, Kinley Ginger Ale

German Beer
Warsteiner Premium Verum
Warsteiner Premium alkoholfrei
Erdinger Weißbier

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Kaffee
Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands

Nespreso Espresso und Cappuccino, 3 Grands Crus des Kaffees
Ristetto : A short, full-bodied and intense Espresso with a pleasantly lingering taste.
Volluto : A lightly roasted blend with a subtle, yet present body and hints of biscuit, redolent of cereal, enhanced by a touch of acidity and a fresh and light fruitiness.
Decaffeinato Intenso : The intense pronounced flavor with a touch of sourness gives this decaffeinated coffee the potency of genuine espresso.

Masala Tee
Exclusively on flights to and from India

Eilles Teespezialitäten

Assam Special Broken
This robust elegant tea, harvested at the Brahmaputra River plantations in Northern India, is copper-red in color with a rich and malty aroma. Milk or cream and sugar are worthly accompaniments.

Earl Grey Premium Blatt
A blend of Darjeeling, Ceylon and Chinese teas enhanced by aromatic oil from the finest bergamot fruit. A classic, copper-red in the cup, especially enjoyable with pastries and cake.

Yogi Tee Black Chai Bio
An originally ayurvedic blend of spiced teas with black tea and exotic condiments such as cinnamon, aniseed, ginger, black pepper and clove - all ingredients have been produced organically. A little drop of milk and a spoonful of sugar turn it into an original chai treat.

Grüntee Asia Superior Blatt
Grown in fertile Central Asia, this unfermented tea is bright yellow in color with a pleasant, gentle aroma and sweet yet tart notes. Traditionally enjoyed plain.

Vita Orange
A crisp and refreshing combination of hibiscus flowers, apples, orange and lemon zest, cinnamon and orange flavour as well as ten revitalizing vitamins.

Rooibos Winterpunsch
South African Rooibos tea with a combination of ginger, apple, coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, almonds and the excquisit aroma of toasted almonds.

11/12-2009

Breakfast

Cold and hot Specialty

Freshly squeezed Orange Juice

Fresh Fruit

Yogurt, Granola, Cornflakes, Frosties and Milk

Salmon with black Sesame and smoked Salmon Filet
roasted Chicken Breast, Air dried Beef, Beef Pastrami
Cambozola, smoked Edam and Havarti Cheese

Scrambled Eggs freshly prepared upon your Request with grilled Bacon and Mushrooms

LH 779 11/09-12/09
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT - not yet at the Do

Over 80 posts and I still haven't gotten to the Do yet. Unfortunately my next flight is about to board so the starmegado bit will have to wait a little longer.

Coming soon - why I was last to join the Do.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Waiting with bated breath as to how you eventually caught up with us at Oslo. It seems you missed us by a whisker at FRA.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
FRANKFURT - not yet at the Do

Over 80 posts and I still haven't gotten to the Do yet. Unfortunately my next flight is about to board so the starmegado bit will have to wait a little longer.

Coming soon - why I was last to join the Do.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

When the dates for the do were first confirmed I knew I had a potential timing issue.

I had an important meeting in NZ scheduled for late Tuesday afternoon of starmegado week. I'd also have some urgent post-meeting work to do. Normally I'd do this the next day but if I'm travelling halfway around the world the next day that isn't an option. So, I realised I couldn't book one of the late night longhaul flights out of Auckland unless I was prepared for 50% chance of not making it (and no way to reduce the odds until during the meeting).

Failing to leave NZ Tuesday night means the earliest I could arrive into Frankfurt is Thursday morning. Thus I booked an itinerary with one of the earliest longhaul arrival times.

On the original Do schedule I would have had over an hour to clear immigration and get to the meeting point for the charter. Tight but perfectly doable even if my flight is somewhat delayed.

When the Do schedule was changed, due to unavailability of a suitable slot, to an early departure, my comfortable connection changed to a zero minutes one. With the charter using a remote stand (bus gate) there was no way I'd make it even if my flight was early (as it turned out to be). Fortunately the fantastic organisers came up with an alternative for me so I could join the party in Oslo, missing just the first charter flight and the first hour in the SAS hangar. At least that was the plan - reality was slightly different.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

As soon as I was off the airbridge I took a look at the nearest departure monitor, just in case the party flight was running late and I really could make it. Unfortunately I'd arrived just in the nick of time to see DE9254 Toulouse/Oslo at the top of the screen, and then disappear in the blink of an eye. So close.

I picked myself up and headed for the B first class lounge, which I can use as an arrivals lounge. I then checked in for my flight to Oslo, and went to have a shower. In the line at the shower reception desk my shoulders sagged as I overheard the second half of a conversation the person in front of me was having with the staff member. "... nothing available until 10am". Perhaps I should dash across to one of the other lounges to grab a shower and make sure I'm not stinking up the charter flight? Fortunately it turned out they were discussing the spa, not the showers.

Once freshened up I grabbed some juice and some bread, and settled into a computer room to catch up on messages. The first computer was broken so I swapped to another room. The computers were not in high demand at this hour of day so no problem moving.

I checked my messages and jealously read about the starmegado US and trans-atlantic legs of the party, as well as the moderator flight training the previous afternoon.

By now it was time to head to my gate. Immigration had a short queue for non-EU travellers. Normally at this hour of the day there are lengthy queues so I don't know why today is different. The queues were slow moving. Yay the officer stamped a page that was already stamped.

To get to my gate I had to pass through security. At the main B security area I headed for the first + business + star gold lane. I didn't even get to pull out my arrival boarding pass when I was ushered to the wheelchair lane, which is much quicker. I think this was on account of my red first class boarding pass holder. I arrived at my gate right around the time scheduled for boarding (I think - I was travelling sans watch due to an accident the day before this trip and I hadn't yet replaced it being unimpressed with the various watches available at duty free en route).

Just one problem. No aircraft at the gate.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT to OSLO (FRA-OSL) on Lufthansa 737-500 in economy class

There was a complete lack of information on when we'd depart. Given there are no lounges convenient (schengen B) I hung around at the gate and waited, and waited, and waited some more. Time seemed to stand still.

Dang - I knew I should have headed to FCT instead. If I'd done that I would at least be waiting in comfort.

After a while the aircraft arrived from who knows where and disgorged the load of passengers. Eventually it was our turn to board, later than our scheduled departure time.

The flight was full (just a handful of spare seats) and there was the usual Frankfurt stampede for the boarding pass scanners. I avoided being crushed and made my way to my seat. Business class was 10 rows today, and I was near the front of economy class. I was glad I boarded reasonably early. Later passengers had a job placing the carry-on in the overhead bin, by rearranging contents to fit like a jigsaw. The very last passengers to board had their carry-ons gate checked. I didn't get SEN seat-blocking.

After a short taxi we took off into & through the cloud layer. No views today. Soon a light snack was served - a choice of ham or cheese sandwich, plus tea, coffee, juice or water. I tried to get some more sleep, but was again too excited.

We descended into snow and got some partially obscured views of the countryside to the north of Oslo (city not airport). The runway was slippery so we had a little shimmy on touchdown. As we taxiied into the terminal I looked out into the snow and tried to look for the brightly coloured Condor aircraft which was used for the charter. I couldn't see it.

I began to wonder if perhaps I was foolish for not packing a warm coat - I am most unused to snow and was wearing just a thin shirt and trousers. As we pulled in I saw the aircraft next to us was using stairs. that is something I hadn't considered. Fortunately we had an airbridge. It took an age to be joined up, or at least it seemed that way to me. Then a slow process to disembark as every passenger paused to put on thick bulky coats before leaving. When it was my turn I almost ran up the chilly airbridge to get into the warmth of the terminal.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

OSLO - I finally join the do

I was told to clear customs and turn up at the business class check-in where I'd get a ride across to the hangar where the party had been underway already a couple of hours.

The agent on the discount didn't understand at first but eventually I said enough that she understood and called for my ride. I was "checked in" being given an essentially blank boarding pass. Hopefully this is good enough for security. I was told to go to gate 29A where I'd be picked up.

Security was slow moving. I managed to pick the slowest moving of the 2 lines open. Eventually I was through and yes the "boarding pass" was good enough to get me through the shop into the international zone.

At the gate I was checked in, with the agent muttering about stupid 1960s systems! My seat number was hand-written on the boarding pass. At no stage did I need to show any ID - I just gave my name (twice, once at business class check in and again here at the gate). I guess they figured that no one else but me could possibly know to turn up at this place and time?

I had a few metres trying awkwardly to walk quickly in shoes not suited to ice (and me unused to walking on ice) to reach the van before I got too cold or wet from the snow. The Condor was visible across the way. Then a ride past the Condor, past some snow ploughs working on a taxiway, and out to the hangar. Another awkward dash with my bags to come inside.

The door opened to a wall of FTers inside waiting for the bus to arrive. I'd arrived just in the nick of time to leave Oslo.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

OSLO to TOULOUSE (OSL-TLS) on party flight Condor 757-300 in economy class

Moments later I was on the bus and heading out to the party plane. I was a bit worried climbing the stairs as they were slippery and I had two bags - my rollaboard plus another bag with some gifts to hand out. I didn't want to slip and squish all the FTers below me!

Onboard I headed for my seat only to find I'd been given the wrong seat number. Someone else was already sitting there. I fought my way back against the tide so I could wait in the exit row to be given my correct seat. This gave me a chance to chat. When boarding was almost completed oliver2002 came by and gave me my correct seat assignment. A middle seat - the first one of those I'd had in many years, but what did I expect checking in last? Fortunately it wasn't an ordinary window seat but rather an exit row middle seat with missing window seat, so actually quite a good seat.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Like herding cats it took a while for everyone to be seated. Then there was a delay to get some vital equipment brought onboard - corkscrews. Eventually we pushed back and headed for de-icing.

Some mods did the safety briefing in Norwegian attire, to much hilarity. Although perhaps the presence of some camera crew nearby for them to ham it up for helped? I was very relieved they had not gone for the current Air NZ safety presentation approach - naked with body paint, and nor had they copied a current advertisement for Pacific Blue (Virgin Blue) where the safety presentation is done to the macarena. Someone could have lost an eye!

The nose (?) camera was turned on the monitors for our take-off. Unfortunately there was quite a lot of ice build-up on the lens and so fairly obscured view. It didn't take long before the chime went and seemingly everyone jumped up at once.

The same mods also helped attempted to help the real cabin crew with the food & beverage service. Others onboard jumped up to use the bathrooms, to chat with fellow FTers and generally make things difficult for both real and temporary cabin crew to do their jobs.

Randy was seated nearby and tried to get a nap before giving a very long (90 minutes?) and enthusiastic interview. It is great that he is so passionate about miles and FT.

In economy the meal was quite good. Chicken, potato, veges, roll and a chocolate rice crispy. There was also a much wider than normal drinks selection, however most of the good stuff had run out before the trolleys got back to the rear section of the cabin.

On the IFE was Ice Age 3, but really they needn't have bothered. No one was watching it, we were all far too busy talking with each other.

xyzzy spent much of the flight selling raffle tickets. FTers donated a number of great prizes (and some lame ones from me ) with proceeds going to 2 great charities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.