Search

5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND (CHC-AKL) on Jetstar A320 in economy class

I was unsure if I'd make this flight, the last of the night, or have to take the first flight the next morning. Fortunately I finished up in time to head to Auckland at night, which saved a mad dash from domestic to international terminals in Auckland next morning not mention any worries about delays due to fog.

I was in such a rush I had no time for the lounge, or even to check if the lounge is still open (the Christchurch domestic Qantas Club is closing ). OLCI to the rescue again, straight through security and up to the gate, where I arrived just at the very end of boarding.

This flight, being late in the evening, was much emptier than the one I'd recently flown early evening.

We left on time. I finished up some paperwork and then tried to doze. I already have a big sleep deficit with another short night ahead. Unfortunately I was too excited to sleep properly, or was it that the bright orangeness of jetstar's colour scheme had seared into my brain?

There weren't many takers for the buy on board drink and snacks. We landed on time just before midnight. The terminal was already fairly empty with just a couple of taxi drivers and friends/family waiting for passengers on our flight, the last domestic arrival of the night.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland airport overnight transit

With an early start tomorrow I decided to spend the next few hours at the airport. I had toyed with staying at the Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, which rebranded from the Centra just a few days ago. However there were no decent rates, and when I converted the rate into an amount per hour I decided it wasn't worth it for at best 3 hours of sleep and a shower. Besides which I can get a shower in the lounge in the morning.

So I walked across to the international terminal. It was a humid night and quite pleasant. I picked up my bag from storage and then went upstairs to my preferred quiet nook for a landside overnight stop (with a row of seats to lie on). I was still having trouble getting to sleep, though.

I think I got an hour or so before the sounds of the new day began. Lots of chatter from friends and family heading to the observation area to wave to passengers on the early flights. My nook usually doesn't get much noise so I'd also set an alarm on my phone as backup. It went off just as I was getting ready to head downstairs to check in.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: NZ Koru
The Qantas @CHC @Gate 2&3 was still open last week when I passed.

JQ's buy on board is a joke, on New Zealand Domestic. They barely have anything to buy. They don't take CreditCard, so you have to have cash on hand, who ever does these days. Last time I brought a coffee (instant) it took them 5minutes to make one
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd forgotten just how much I dislike Australian airports. I had a reminder again today.

The story will have to wait for a bit longer though, as my next flight is boarding. Phew made it.

PS today's champagne count is now 2 different ones, total 3 glasses.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to MELBOURNE (AKL-MEL) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class

Even in my tired state I noticed as soon as I entered the premium check in lobby that something was different. A more spacious entrance, and no immigration desk! Indeed the changes to departures immigration at the airport were just 1 day old.

The lobby was fairly quiet - the early morning rush was not yet fully underway. I had no wait to check in. Only 2 boarding passes instead of the 3 I'd hoped for. I changed seats on this flight - there was no problem switching to my favourite seat on this aircraft.

Once checked in I back-tracked towards the lobby entrance to take the lift just inside the entrance up to Air NZ premium immigration. The entrance was much wider than previously, to cater for passengers going in both directions.

Upstairs there are two premium immigration desks, but only 1 was manned. There was also only one regular desk manned which struck me as odd for early morning is a busy period with lots of flights departing. As with my previous departure immigration hadn't opened my flight so a minor delay to wait for this.

There are extra security lanes (about 6 or 8 IIRC) but only 2 were open this time, both at the far end thus premium passengers join the end of the queue.

Once through security there was a new passage to get to the shops. A second passage will be opening soon but was still boarded up.

I had a few things to collect, and in any event the Air NZ lounge doesn't open until 5am so I took my time. Arriving at the lounge a little early (about 0445) I was surprised to find it was already open, albeit they were still setting up. Hopefully this isn't just a one-off as the 5am lounge opening for 6am departure always annoys me.

Inside the lounge my first priority was a shower, second a coffee or three.
I skipped a coffee because horrors the machine was not working (and the barista had not opened their stand yet). Instead I caught up on some work, checked FT and briefly met DCF - FTers are everywhere.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I headed out for the gate when boarding was called in the lounge, grabbing a newspaper on the way (they hadn't been delivered yet when I arrived). At the gate boarding hadn't yet started but commenced shortly after I arrived.

I quickly settled into my seat, swapped the little pillow for the big one behind the seat and started a movie. Unfortunately there were no headphones. Apparently with a light load of just 6 passengers the crew decided to hand these out individually instead of putting them in the seat pocket before boarding commenced. The first pair I received had one earpiece on back-to-front, so I had to get some new ones.

While this was being sorted out I had a couple of glasses of pre-departure bubbles (Deutz I think). We pushed back a little late, so I'd already seen a good portion of the movie when it was paused for the safety video. At some stage it had started raining.

The flight passed by quickly - by the time breakfast was over I was already into my second movie, had finished the paper and was getting stuck into some magazines. We had stronger than normal headwinds so arrived late as well.

We got one of the new gates which meant stop and a tow in. However the tow driver had other ideas and first pushed us back! There was also a minor delay waiting for someone to operate the airbridge, which eventually hooked up to door 1L.

My short transfer time had been reduced to a mad dash through the terminal. If we'd arrived 30+ minutes later then maybe I'd misconnect and get to ride the A380. Oh well.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Air New Zealand
Business Class menu
New Zealand to Australia
November 2009

Breakfast

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie or your choice of juice

Fruit and Cereal

Continental selection with fruit, assorted cereals, bircher muesli and yoghurt

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, Vogel’s, brioche or fruit toast served with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Chive and cheddar scrambled egg
with grilled chicken sausage, mushroom ragout and roasted cherry tomatoes

Cinnamon spiced brioche toast
with fresh orange marmalade and mascarpone cream

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer – from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harré, nationally recognised wine judge. The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to complement today’s menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Coruba Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager Pure, Speight's Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

C1B_OCT09
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Melbourne transit

Walked through the duty free towards arrivals immigration and international transfers. The passage is still closed but this time instead of having a person standing there directing people to use the lift there are some big signs.

Upstairs security is a zoo. Only 2 lanes, neither of which appears to be moving faster than a sloth. 20 minutes later I'm still not through the WTMD when the person in front of me, who is disabled, goes through and triggers the alarm since he cannot hold himself upright. There is only one officer manning the WTMD so we have to wait for this passenger to be cleared. After several more minutes I ask the officer manning the other lane if we can switch across in between people in the other line only to be told no snarkily. The officer on the xray on our line, perhaps sensing a mutiny from the long line of people behind me, quickly overrules the other officer to allow us to use the other WTMD instead of waiting yet longer.

That negotiated there is the usual walk through 2 duty free stores on the way to the lounge. I popped into the NZ lounge first for a quick toilet stop, drink, and to clear my messages. By now it was well passed boarding time printed on the boarding pass, but as I knew this to be conservative I left the NZ lounge for the SQ lounge. In part this was because the NZ lounge wouldn't be calling the flight and I could easily zone out and miss boarding.

At the SQ lounge my passport details are entered in again, and a new boarding pass issued since the NZ-issued barcodes won't work for SQ. I asked if I could check in for the next flight after this one, but the agent was unable to do so "due to computer error".

While I waited I had a quick glass of Veuve Clicquot in the first class lounge.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies, there will be a delay before the next instalment is posted.

I've made it to FRA but not in time for the first leg of the starmegado charter, but thanks to hard work by Tommy777 I'll be catching up to the flying party in OSL.

It is about time for me to leave the FCL because I have immigration and security before my gate, so more info later.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
[a new boarding pass issued since the NZ-issued barcodes won't work for SQ.
I thought the whole point of the new 2D barcoding was that they were supposed to be IATA standardised across all the airlines.

Enjoying the report, as always.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by B-HXB
I thought the whole point of the new 2D barcoding was that they were supposed to be IATA standardised across all the airlines.

Enjoying the report, as always.

NZ's bar codes are very high tech compared to some airlines, look at JQ they use standard bar codes that you would find on products in your supper market.

Are there any airlines still using the old magnetic strip boarding passes?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NZ's barcodes are 2D. I don't know why they weren't compatible, or perhaps it was just a line so they could reprint it (as many airlines are wont to do).
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Looks like I have a little bit of time before my next flight to post some more. I'll just grab some suitable liquid refreshment to fuel my writing juices and continue with the report.

Back soon.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MELBOURNE to SINGAPORE (MEL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-300 in first class

Boarding was called just as I took my first sip. While I sent a couple of last emails I finished my glass and headed out for the gate. The call in the lounge had been made when boarding was fairly well completed.

It was a moderately full flight, but not in first class. Indeed there were just 2 of us so I was invited to take my pick of seats. While the last of the passengers boarded I had a couple of glasses of Krug (today's champagne count now up to 3 different ones, and it isn't even midday local time ), selected a newspaper and a couple of magazines, received the pajamas and amenity kit, and made a drink selection for post-take-off. Amazing what the crew can do in a short period.

We soon pushed back. As usual I try to focus on the safety briefing by testing my memory of the wording. I reckon I've seen this SQ one well over a hundred times in the 5 years it has played.

The seat is old style regional first and really pathetic compared with the 3 newer longhaul products (and 1 newer regional product). Still it is comfortable but not the quality most savvy flyers would expect, especially on this route which is hardly short.

There are some Singapore Airlines' 777-300s with loop IFE. Fortunately this particular aircraft is not one of them and has avod, albeit with a much smaller selection than the newer IFE on 77W, A388 and 77A. Indeed flicking through the options with disappointment I came to realise that I am spoiled on the flights I normally take. This older Wiseman system has a mere 60 movies, and seems to be not enough!

We were climbing for only a few minutes when the crew sprang to action once more. First up was a drink. Then headphones were handed out. A menu came next with the query of when during the flight would I like to eat? Another drink soon followed.

I got a little shock when the first bottle of Krug was finished before we even passed Adelaide, especially given the other passenger was not really drinking.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I got a little shock when the first bottle of Krug was finished before we even passed Adelaide, especially given the other passenger was not really drinking.
How an earth did you manage to polish the bottle before the plane had even passed Adelaide? Alice Spring, yes, but not Adelaide!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.