Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
menu | QF C 737 dinner| Melbourne to Auckland (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, evening flight)

Menu

From the Bar

Marinated Olives

Roasted Nuts

Main Courses

Chicken with Tomato and Olive Sauce accompanied with Polenta, Carrots and Beans
Served with Buffalo Mozzarella, Semi Dried Tomato and Mesclun Appetiser

Stir Fried Black Bean and Chilli Pork accompanied with Jasmine Rice and Broccolini

Salad of Roast Beef with Baby Spinach, Potato and Capers
Served with Fresh Fruit

Warm Bakery

Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Fruit

Ice Cream and Almond Bread

Beverages

Champagne

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve

Australian and New Zealand Wine

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%

Plymouth The Smooth English Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Malt Scotch Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8 Bourbon

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Sparkling Mineral Water

Still Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortifieds

Penfolds Bluestone 10yo Tawny

Baileys of Glenrowan Liqueur Muscat

Australian Dessert Wine

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J_TAS_MM_3_AUS-NZ_WIN09
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NZ C 777 breakfast | Auckland to Melbourne (Air New Zealand business premier class on 777, early morning flight)

Pre-flight

Another day, another all too familiar early wakeup and ride to the airport. I walk past all the check in counters to the premium check in lobby for Air NZ. As usual, it is moderately busy at this hour of the day but there are plenty of agents and most of the passengers are regulars thus processed very quickly and efficiently.

I was advised the flight was delayed 30 minutes and there has been an aircraft change to 747. I've been reassigned a seat in the upper deck, however I don't really like that (especially today with a tight connection because upper deck business class is forward of upper deck premium economy and is slow to disembark, plus I feel the stares/glares of the premium economy passengers up there). I ask if I can sit in the nose - it has been some years since I've flown an Air NZ 747 other than in the nose and I have my favourite seats. Unfortunately they have all been assigned, but I'm assuaged by the comment that the lower deck second business class cabin has only 4 passengers including me, so will be nice and private.

I then did immigration. The dedicated officer for the premium lobby is great - saves a lot of time. Upstairs, the security area was busy but I picked a good line to go through with minimal delay and avoided the pat-down. After the usual "sleep-walk" past the shops and up to the lounge, I was welcomed back and ditched my carry on while I went for a coffee.

It seems they've cut back the hours of the barista so only self-serve coffee is available at this hour, and the newspapers haven't yet arrived. I surfed FT for a while instead and cleared my messages.

Onboard

When I fly to Melbourne or Brisbane I try to get on the flights which use the longhaul aircraft. A much nicer way to cross the ditch than the A320 or 767.

Boarding was eventually called in the lounge. As usual this call was made when the rest of the passengers were largely already onboard, to maximise our lounge time.

I efficiently stowed my carry-on, adjusted the seat (in business premier you can select any seat position for take-off, other than flat bed mode), selected the movie I'd started last time and fast-forwarded to where I'd left it. All in the time others were still sorting out their bags.

A couple of the crew were regulars on this route and we had a brief chat while boarding completed. My customary pre-departure drink was brought to me without even asking ^ and newspapers were offered. A short while later the arrivals card and express arrivals cards for Australia were handed out.

I finished the movie and had plenty of time to watch another plus the start of a third. Gate to gate IFE makes a huge difference on these Tasman flights.

I had some fruit and a couple of drinks, otherwise just mellowed out and had some quality thinking time. Some people who don't travel much ask me if I ever get bored spending so much time in the air. I really don't. Even if there isn't much on the IFE or isn't someone to chat with there is always a great opportunity to just think with a relatively clear mind away from distractions. I keep a pen & paper handy because I've had some brilliant ideas while flying.

Post-flight

We got a gate at the end of the pier. There was a short delay with the airbridge. Sometimes I wonder if MEL international terminal has only one or maybe two airbridge operators. If you arrive behind another flight you are almost guaranteed a slow disembarkation.

A few steps out the door I see the hoped-for fast walk to transfers is not going to happen. Not only are there hordes of people streaming out of the other airbridge a bit closer to immigration, but the customs people have roped off most of the corridor to force everyone to walk slowly in single file past some sniffer dogs.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

menu | NZ C 777 breakfast| Auckland to Melbourne (Air New Zealand business premier class on 777, early morning flight)

Breakfast

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie or your choice of juice

Fruit and Cereal

Continental selection with fruit, assorted cereals, bircher muesli and yoghurt

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, Vogels, brioche or fruit toast served with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Chive and cheddar scrambled egg
with grilled chicken sausage, mushroom ragout and roasted cherry tomatoes

Cinnamon spiced brioche toast
with fresh orange marmalade and mascarpone cream

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harr, nationally recognised wine judge. The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to complement todays menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniels Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Coruba Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager Pure, Speight's Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

C1B_JUL09
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
after finlly finishing

reading your previous trip reports, I have been eagerly awaiting your latest and it didn't let me down. Great reading, thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Great review
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

I had some fruit and a couple of drinks, otherwise just mellowed out and had some quality thinking time. Some people who don't travel much ask me if I ever get bored spending so much time in the air. I really don't. Even if there isn't much on the IFE or isn't someone to chat with there is always a great opportunity to just think with a relatively clear mind away from distractions. I keep a pen & paper handy because I've had some brilliant ideas while flying.
I'm really grateful that NZ has not introduced any passenger communication systems onto there aircraft. I love it 3hours when No one from work can reach you by Call/Text/Email (yes people do text you there problems).

You took the seat change very politely, if I was GE I not be one bit happy about given a upper deck seat in the first place.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Great review

I'm really grateful that NZ has not introduced any passenger communication systems onto there aircraft. I love it 3hours when No one from work can reach you by Call/Text/Email (yes people do text you there problems).

You took the seat change very politely, if I was GE I not be one bit happy about given a upper deck seat in the first place.
I only just remembered to turn my work phone on from my last flight....2 weeks ago
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I only just remembered to turn my work phone on from my last flight....2 weeks ago
you must have a few missed calls
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
you must have a few missed calls
Not as bad as it could have been.
With school not in session and leading to another institution associated with my job not in session as well, not too many calls were missed (it took 30 minutes to clear the vm) and most contacted me via by my landline or email as my work travel has drastically been curtailed in the past year so they knew I would be in the office.
Oh I have aslo noticed that Kiwi Flyers trip reports have been getting fewer and far between as well. (Bringing this back on topic)
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
menu | QF C 737 dinner| Melbourne to Auckland (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, evening flight)

Menu

Main Courses

Chicken with Tomato and Olive Sauce accompanied with Polenta, Carrots and Beans

Stir Fried Black Bean and Chilli Pork accompanied with Jasmine Rice and Broccolini

Salad of Roast Beef with Baby Spinach, Potato and Capers
Served with Fresh Fruit

Hmm that chicken dish sound suspiciously like the meal I had on a ADL-SYD flight last week in J.

After take off dinner was served; this was a choice of Beef Salad with balsamic dressing or chicken with polenta, beans and carrots.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NZ C 747 lunch | Melbourne to Auckland (Air New Zealand business premier class on 747, afternoon flight)

Pre-flight

It didn't take long before I was at the end of the pier in the basement which is the NZ lounge. I had just enough time to check some messages and grab a quick drink before boarding was called. I always try to pay close attention to the call at Melbourne because there are a couple of gates which use the lower level and thus no point going all the way up to the main departures level only to drop back down again. Today we were using one of those gates so I went up one level and then cut through the passage to the gate.

There was a huge queue backed up all the way to the escalator. Normally there is someone at the top of the escalator to make sure passengers don't descend it if there is no room at the bottom but today there was either no one there, or they were distracted and not stopping people.

Onboard

I was welcomed back onboard and made my way to my favourite seat (at least the best one when flying Air NZ). As I started a movie I was handed a pre-departure drink without asking and my meal order was taken (to make sure I get what I want).

The next few hours went by in a blur. No, that wasn't the effect of alcohol, but rather I was chilled out while catching up on some paperwork, sitting very comfortably with an ear out for the movie playing, and yes okay also supping some nice drinks. Time whizzed by and all too soon I was asked if I wanted one last drink, and time to pack up my stuff.

We got some great views of the twin harbours and city due to our approach taking us past the city and then double back to land from the east. If I am not in a hurry this is my favourite approach, and fairly common too, although such clear skies are not so common.

Post-flight

We got a gate near the end of the main pier, but since I was first off there was no one to pass during the walk to immigration. The only other recently arrived flights were Emirates and 2 of the three aircraft were on the second pier. Immigration was only moderately busy so I got through fairly quickly. Customs was busier - while travelling with carry-on only is a benefit it also means you get to catch up with the customs queues from earlier flights.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

menu | NZ C 747 lunch| Melbourne to Auckland (Air New Zealand business premier class on 747, afternoon flight)

Lunch

Starter

Karengo seasoned prawns
on black bean angle hair pasta and ceviche dressing

Main Course

Rosemary braised lamb shanks
with roasted root vegetables, wilted spinach and golden kumara gratin

Thyme scented chicken thigh
with saffron and green pea risotto, sage roasted pumpkin and watercress

Fusilli pasta salad
with basil pesto, kassler, grilled vegetables and mozzarella

Dessert

Gourmet dessert
of strawberry cream ice cream and hokey pokey ice cream with chocolate and almond wafer

Cheese Plate

Fine New Zealand cheese and preserved fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harr, nationally recognised wine judge. The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to complement todays menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniels Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Coruba Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager Pure, Speight's Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

C2LE_FROZ_JUL09
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Melbourne on Air NZ in business class and menu

Melbourne to Auckland on Air NZ in business class and menu
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Sydney on LAN in business class and menu

Sydney to Auckland on LAN in business class and menu
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Sydney on Air New Zealand in business class and menu.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Auckland on Air NZ in business class and menu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.