Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #6" - Cairns Queensland - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-24, 2009

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We flew up to Townsville this weekend, as fares were cheap.

Not even as North as Cairns up here, and it is HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT up here .. I was amazed seeing we are less than a month from winter.

Do NOT bother packing jackets etc.

Glen
Old May 1, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozstamps
We flew up to Townsville this weekend, as fares were cheap.

Not even as North as Cairns up here, and it is HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT up here .. I was amazed seeing we are less than a month from winter.

Do NOT bother packing jackets etc.

Glen
But IIRC, a few times we needed light jackets or coverups, or even just long sleeved shirts, in Sydney at that time of year.
Old May 1, 2009, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Cairns look good today on the web cam, even if a little cloudy. (A nice map on the web cam site)
Cairns weather 25°C / 77°F

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 1, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 8:02 pm

Weather in CAIRNS

Yes the weather here in Cairns continues to be warm to hot with nights around 65F and days around 85-90F. However, it may be a few degrees cooler by late May with daytime temperatures in the low 80s F. Typically there can be a strong south easterly breeze so you may find a very light weight jacket, cardigan, etc, to be handy on the reef boats and in the evenings. Cairns is a very relaxed town in terms of dress, with people mostly wearing shorts and t-shirts/short sleeved shirts often into the evenings. You will be able to tell us acclimatised locals during your visit - we will be wearing jeans and either long sleeve shirts or carrying a jacket or sporting an ultra lightweight merino!

Weather in SYDNEY

By late May Sydney can be much cooler than people might expect. I have known it be cloudy and wet for days on end (unusual) at this time of year, but more likely coolish with brilliant sunny days - perfect for sightseeing and walking around the city, Rocks, Opera House, etc with 65-75 F days and nights even down to 50-55 F. The weather changes from the south with cooler air masses moving across SE Australia bringing gusty cold episodes laying snow in the nearby Blue Mountains and Snowy Mountains 200 miles to the south of Sydney (which has had its first snowfall of the season 7 weeks early this year!).

If going to Sydney please consider carring some warmish clothes (eg. leather jacket, light weight jumper, jeans, etc).

Weather in MELBOUNE

The Melbourne weather is famous for its unpredictability. I've flown to Melbourne on day trips from Sydney for meetings and walked into an office block with the temperature at 100 F and come out two hours later into a blustery 62 F! I would expect Melbourne in May to be quite cool around 55 - 65 F. Nights can get cold, there has already been at night time low of 37 F this week past.

If going to Melbourne please consider carrying some warm clothes (eg. coat, jeans, jumpers).

Originally Posted by monitor
But IIRC, a few times we needed light jackets or coverups, or even just long sleeved shirts, in Sydney at that time of year.

Last edited by Platy; May 1, 2009 at 8:54 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 8:05 pm

Cairns weather today

Yes, it is unusually cool today (morning temp of 75-80 F - the dog is sleeping on his blanket to keep warm!) with an E/SE moist air mas coming off the ocean with low light cloud cover, which the sun has failed thus far to "burn off". When you see strong high pressure systems stabilise to the south between Brisbane and Sydney, the air mass comes from the SE into Cairns picking up moisture. Those that are interested can get full local weather details from the following page and associated pages:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cairns/

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Cairns look good today on the web cam, even if a little cloudy. (A nice map on the web cam site)
Cairns weather 25°C / 77°F
Old May 1, 2009, 8:50 pm

Packing for a trip to Cairns

As mentioned above, Cairns is a very relaxed place and nobody much cares how you dress! Exceptions would include evenings at a better restaurant in Palm Cove or Port Douglas, but even then folk often fine dine in shorts and T-shirts. Aside from the obvious swim wear for Green Island/reef trip and lolling beside the hotel pool, you might like to consider packing to accommodate the following suggestions:

Friday lunch Mondos
A very casual setting under parasols at the waterfront so shorts and T-shirt/short sleeve shirt.

Friday night drinks and dinner
Our Friday night venue attracts the dressy office crowd (that's not saying much by city standards, this is Cairns, remember, so coool comfortable smart casual is the go!) so lightweight long trousers and shirt (short sleeve or sleeves rolled) for the guys and maybe a summer dress or equivalent for the ladies. Maybe carry a light weight jacket or cardigan just in case since this venue can catch the SE breezes. Please wear sandals or shoes to meet bar dress code.

Kuranda
For the day trip, dress to be comfortable and cool - shorts/Tshirts or equivalent. Maybe wear shoes which are good for walking (walking boots, trainers, etc)

Saturday dinner cruise
Again, light weight long trousers and a shirt for the gents and a summer dress for the ladies with a jacket or cardigan at the ready.

Green Island/Reef
T-shirt (or for those with sun sensitive skin, a light weight long sleeve shirt) and shorts. Maybe bring an extra T-shirt to wear in the water (to avoid a sunburnt neck and back from swimming). This is the time for the old and grunge gear that can get hammered by sunscreen, sweat and seawater!!! Carry a cotton jacket or sloppy joe for the boat ride back.

Sunday drinks/dinner
As casual as you like - jeans and a short sleeved shirt - but please wear sandals or shoes to get past bar security.

SUNSCREEN!!!

It is very easy to get sunburn in Cairns so please consider slathering suncreen onto all exposed skin for anytime you spend out of the hotel in daylight!!! HOT TIP - if you get caught short, there are dispensers of free sunscreen in the toilets at Mondos Bar/grill at thebase of the HILTON. My (fair) skin burns in 20 minutes without sunscreen, even in winter!

SUNSTROKE!!!

IF you are not used to the tropical heat, even though it is approaching our winter, please consider using a HAT!!! Please consider picking shadey spots when eating, riding on the Green Island/reef boat, etc.

HYDRATION!!!

It is very easy to misjudge fluid intake in this climate! Please consider drinking lots of water! Please consider carrying one or more bottles of water on the daytime excursions to Kuranda and Green Island/Reef. I would imagine that if you are not drinking at least 3-4 pints of water a day, you May be risking insufficient hydration.

ALCOHOL!!!

In Australia affectionately known as GROG and thus the singularly most important local slang to remember, next to SCHOONER the name of the glass the beer comes in! Please consider that the demands of a hot tropical climate can make a cold beer or glass of white wine look mighty fine, but they also exacerbate the effects of indulgence! (It has been known to happen that our transpacific cousins to arrive in Cairns fresh off their flights and end up with an unexpected helicopter ride back off the reef to the Cairns Base Hospital thanks to the subtle combination of jetlag, alcohol, sunburn, heatstroke and dehydration....

INSECTS AND OTHER BITEY BEASTIES

It is possible to get bitten by mosquitoes and sand flies, although this is more of a problem in the wet summer months. If you are susceptible to insect bites, please consider a visit to a local pharmacy, which typically stock various brands of insect repellant.

Last edited by Platy; May 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm
Old May 2, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Thanks Glen and all for the weather info and suggestions- most helpful!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

About Palm Cove, we've made a few trips there and loved it. Stayed at a hotel called Jewel of the Reef, which seems to have changed hands. Does anyone know the new name?
Old May 2, 2009, 5:51 pm

Palm Cove Accommodation

I'm not familiar with the former "Jewel of the Reef" - this name is now normally associated with the upmarket island resort, Lizard Island. One good way to secure accommodation in Palm Cove is to use the www.wotif.com.au web site. All of these places are within minutes walk of all of the restaurants, cafes, shops of Palm Cove seafront. Here are some suggestions working roughly from cheaper to more expensive:

The Reef Retreat
Good value and without a sea view, but only yards from the beach/esplanade
http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hote...3&viewType=all

Mantra Amphora
Good value accommodation on the esplanade

Sebel Reef House and Spa
Comfortable accommodation on the esplanade

Melaleuca Resort
Ocean facing rooms at a reasonable price

Peppers Beach Club
A little more upmarket on the esplanade

Angsana Resort & Spa
Supposedly upmarket mainly catering for the wedding market, not such good value when you compare prices to other places

Note obviously pricing is in Australian dollars!

Originally Posted by Where2next?
About Palm Cove, we've made a few trips there and loved it. Stayed at a hotel called Jewel of the Reef, which seems to have changed hands. Does anyone know the new name?

Last edited by Platy; May 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm
Old May 2, 2009, 5:58 pm

Accommodation Port Douglas

Port Douglas offers a multitude of holiday accommodation, often units rather than hotel rooms.

Take your pick! PLATY recommends that you choose a place on or only 1 block away from Macrossan Street so you can easily walk everywhere!

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced...rrencyCode=AUD

Note obviously pricing is in Australian dollars!
Old May 3, 2009, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also both Qantas & Virgin have cancelled / rescheduled Cairns flights. Worth checking your flights.
Well, QF2300 and QF709 seemed to have had no movement yet, so I think I'm still good. I assume QF in their vigilance would have also told me by now.

Looks like we're at the airport at the same time again, tom911. Only that this time at least our flight isn't in the wee hours of the morning, the airport isn't 25 minutes away from the CBD and there are more cabs in CNS at that time of the morning compared to HBA.
Old May 3, 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by anat0l
Well, QF2300 and QF709 seemed to have had no movement yet, so I think I'm still good. I assume QF in their vigilance would have also told me by now.
Don't assume that. I only discovered some of my flights had been cancelled when I looked up QF manage my booking seeing the recent posts about cancelled flights. No notification by QF for me.
Old May 4, 2009, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated post #1 to now have a hotlink at base to Mwenezei's great list of stuff at:

Click HERE for: WHAT is going on, WHAT it costs, WHERE folks are staying, and flights.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wijomas
As some of you know though my eating habits are... rather bizarre, so I probably won't have any 'Dinner' on the dinner cruise. $66 is a small price to pay for the company of such a great bunch of people though - and a cruise to go along with it I hope it's okay not to eat on the cruise and they won't think I'm too strange for doing so?
Are you sure you are not going to be hungry? I can tell I am going to be really hungry already, after a long day at Karunda, and a few extra prawns and oysters would just about suppress that hunger.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor

Cairns is to Sydney, as Miami is to Portland Maine. -- literally.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Apparently flight DJ781 has been cancelled.

New flight details

22 May 09 DJ779 BNE-CNS 09:40-12:10
24 May 09 DJ786 CNS-BNE 16:25-18:30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.