Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Beef ham or bacon (i.e. made from beef) is common in Muslim countries. I am not surprised TK uses it.

Much like you see chicken or turkey ham/bacon.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Albania - part 2

I'm not quite sure what to write here and expect I won't please all. Tirana is not really geared up for tourists. There are a number of attractions in the centre of the city, but not a lot elsewhere (other than maybe Dajti mountain).

The national museum was interesting. 2 floors dedicated to ancient times, half a floor for medieval times and an alcove for the fascist & communist takeovers. Big chunks of time missing and left a bit of a sour taste to be honest.

Several "coloured buildings" scattered around the inner city - an attempt to humanise some stalinesque architecture.

The castle is not open to the public and the bit visible from the street looks unimpressive.

Mother Theresa Square is decrepit.

The Grand Park is okay but hardly grand.

I got most enjoyment from wandering around neighbourhoods, trying to get a glimpse of everyday life.

Care is needed while walking - some pavements are very uneven or unsurfarced. There are few traffic lights and generally pedestrians cross as they do in many Asian cities - by slowly walking out into the traffic giving it enough time & space to slow or swerve around you.

Albania joined Nato on 1 April so there were a couple of exhibitions related to this on in the city.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 17, 2009 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Austrian
Business Class menu
Tirana to Vienna
April 2009

Menu

mediterranean prawn salad
chicken tikka / creamy cucumber salad

Viennese sweet curd souffle

ovenfresh bread selection

freshly brewed coffee or tea

2D3
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tirana to Vienna on Austrian Arrows operated by Tyrolean F100 737 F70 in business class

After a few days in Tirana I headed out to the airport by bus. The airport is surprisingly busy with several flights in the next hour or so, with check-in desks rotating according to which flights are imminent.

Check in for this flight opened 2 hours prior to departure. I was quickly given 2 boarding passes (one for today's flight and another for tomorrow's) and a lounge invite card.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the interruption. I had rather less time until boarding than I thought I had.

There is a separate security lane for business class passengers but as this feeds into the one open immigration desk it didn't really save much time. Airside there are a couple of duty free shops and it is standing room only in the hall. Entrance to the contract lounge is at the far left past the shops and up a spiral staircase.

The lounge is used by all non-low cost airlines, and is okay for the job (bearing in mind all flights from Tirana are less than 2 hours long). There are a couple of computers (albeit with a slow connection), a selection of sandwiches and pastries, reasonable drink offering, some magazines and newspapers. In short a haven from the throng below. Flights aren't called though so I needed to pay attention to the time.

The load wasn't high which made it all the more surprising that someone was allocated to the other seat of the pair on my side of the aisle and not put in the empty row of 3 seats across the aisle. We were both baffled why Austrian would do this, but quickly rectified it onboard.

A light lunch was served, with the usual beverages, and of course a chocolate before landing. Most of the flight we had clear skies and thus great views en route. At first we tracked just inland of the Adriatic coastline and then crossed mountains which had just a few traces left of their winter snows. Great views also of the city of Vienna which we flew past before landing.

We taxiied into a stand close to the back side of C part of the terminal and then bussed around to B non-schengen arrivals. Immigration was very quick - glance to see it is me, open at random page & bang down hard with the stamp.

I knew the next CAT train was about to leave so I hurried to the station, bought a ticket and hopped on all within a couple of minutes of the bus pulling into B. I was the last person to board the train and saved myself a 30 minute wait for the next one.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Intercontinental Vienna

Room rates were high so I booked an award. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the CAT station, at the opposite end of Stadtpark from the Hilton where I'd previously stayed. I didn't get an upgrade although I did at least get a park view room.

It is a good location for a walk.

On checking out fairly early in the morning I was offered coffee, juice, water and apple. With CAT running every 30 minutes it pays to know the schedule to avoid a long wait.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

VIENNA to RIYADH (VIE-RUH) on Austrian Airlines A320P in premium business class

In the year since I flew around this region on Austrian they have rolled out sleeper seat business class on selected A320 (designated as A320P in timetables and booking websites). So I was curious how the product had been improved, and whether any other changes had been made.

Getting into Saudi Arabia is difficult for most. They currently do not allow regular tourists. You can enter on a business visa if sponsored, or if family in Saudi Arabia or on the hajj pilgrimage. Since none of those are likely to apply for me in the near future I had to book flights so that I could make use of the transit exception to the visa rules. When I first booked this trip I had booked a Lufthansa flight that transferred via Riyadh on the way to Asmara, Eritrea. However changes to the schedule and hassles with getting an Eritrean visa put paid to that idea. (I'm not alone in having difficulties, deepskyblue also had to change his plans for horn of Africa.)

Some rearrangement of my itinerary was required but I found a suitable routing that looked workable and also had built in contingency cover (through multiple options for the onward flight in the event of cancellation or misconnection). There isn't much information available on transitting in Riyadh but I figured I had long enough transfer time and enough experience of international transfers in some oddball places that aren't really geared for transit to cope.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 18, 2009 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: QF NB,Qantas Club, Krisflyer,BA Exec Blue, I fly for holidays only :-)
Nice detailed report as always! Good stuff.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Aaarrrgggghhhhh. Lost a big post last night due to computer malfunction and now lost it again (on different computer).
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I left for the airport very early. I had a lot of work to do and figured I may as well do it in the airport lounge. Not only will I not have to worry about losing track of time and potentially missing the flight, but there is also plentiful refreshments to lubricate my brain.

But first I stopped at check in. While I had already been checked in for this flight the day before, I wanted to check in for the onward flight(s). When doing an international transfer at an airport that isn't really geared up for it, and in a country where a visa is required to enter, it is much easier if you have the boarding pass than if you don't. Especially now that we (mostly) don't have paper tickets to show an officer. Unfortunately the agent couldn't check me in for the next flight.

I then headed to the Schengen Senator lounge. It was a battle getting entry - somehow my Senator card and boarding pass for a flight today on Austrian wasn't good enough? Once in I wondered why I bothered and left within a minute. The lounge was standing room only - lines of vultures waiting to claim every seat whenever it is vacated (even if only to grab a coffee). Furthermore, I couldn't see any computers inside.

So I went to the non-Schengen lounge instead. Immigration was super fast thanks to a disinterested officer. She simply opened my passport to a page at random and quickly stamped it at a random place on the page without even looking at either page or me.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

This lounge was much quieter, indeed most of the time there were the same number (or less) of passengers as staff.

I managed to get a lot of work done. There was a period of about 45 minutes with periodic announcements about an abandoned bag found in the terminal. It struck me that in US airports there would probably have been a terminal dump well before 45 minutes were up.

Until 11am breakfast was available in the lounge, then lunch food. Plenty of hot & cold, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink options all the time.

Eventually it was time for me to head to the gate. There is a passport check before security and in my case they wanted to see proof of the onward flight (because I didn't have a visa). The agent and officer expressed disbelief at my crazy itinerary but let me through.

I had a zipper problem (no, not that zipper problem!) on my carryon - when it went through the xray it got caught on something. I've never encountered this before. How can something as small as a zipper catch on something inside the xray? Fortunately no major damage.

We boarded shortly after. The load was extremely light - no more than 15 passengers in total.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The business sleeper seats are fairly similar to Singapore Airlines' regional F seat. Quite comfy for midhaul flights.

Before departure we were handed a menu. These have been done up considerably in both presentation and substance of the food & drink offerings since my previous Austrian Middle East flights a year ago. The amenity kit which consisted of a shoe bag with socks, eye mask, earplugs, one of those spiky plastic massager toy things, some mint, the usual gels & goops, toothbrush & toothpaste, and some tissues. Quite a lot packed into a small kit. We were also offered newspapers and had our meal orders taken.

The door closed, airbridge retracted, and we prepared to leave. Then one cabin crew member came running forward from somewhere well behind me. The airbridge came back and the door was open. There was some discussion for several minutes. Then door closed again. I don't know what happened - no one was offloaded and it didn't look like anything came onboard or extra paperwork passed between ground crew and the aircraft.

So, we left about 20 minutes late but I was unconcerned for I had plenty of time at Riyadh to make the transfer.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

On departure we had great views of Vienna and Bratislava. We were given a personal digi player which comes pre-loaded with about 12 movies and some tv shows, games, etc. The seat has a stand built-in for the digi player to sit.

Before lunch a hot towel. This was so sopping wet that hot water cascaded onto me before I realised. With so few passengers the service was very personalised and attentive.

Shortly before landing a snack was served. The magazines and newspapers were collected and locked away so that cleaning crew etc in Riyadh wouldn't have access to them. This is the first time I've come across this.

We had good tailwinds and so arrived slightly early. Not much of a view of the city or airport due to the dust blowing around - just an eery yellow glow indicating a built up area or airport.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Austrian
Premium Business Class menu
Vienna to Riyadh
April 2009

Menu

humous
stuffed eggplant
grilled artichokes & red pepper
salad of crayfish
Austrian fresh sheep cheese / tomatoes / fresh chive
Styrian style duck breast on leaf salads / raspberry dressing

creamy tomato soup
olive tapenade croutons

please choose from our selection

rack of lamb
mediterranean vegetables / rosemary potatoes

or

prawns "parmigiana"
sauteed leaf spinach / buttered rice

or

ravioli with mushrooms
creamy parmesan sauce / leek / tomatoes

Do & Co's double nougat tart
selection of cheese
fresh fruit

ovenfresh bread selection
freshly brewed coffee or tea

OS895/897/839

Wine Coffee

Champagner Prosecco

Duval-Leroy Fleur de Champagne Brut, Champagne Duval-Leroy, Vertus, France
A fresh, straw-yellow, finely pearled champagne made from Pinot Noir (75%) and Chardonnay (25%). Elegant aromas evoke fresh brioche, juicy pears and fully-ripe apple, while mineral tones leave a lasting aftertaste.

Le Borgate Prosecco, Veneto, Imbottigliato da Vinicola
A true Prosecco from the Treviso region. Slightly sparkly, fresh and fruity.

White Wine

Gruner Veltliner, Steinsetz 2007, Weingut Schloss Gobelsburg, Kamptal
Peppery-spice with yellow fruity fragrance and a hint of white blossoms. Juicy, full-bodied on the palate with a perfectly balanced interplay, spirited and long lingering.

Riesling, Steinhaus 2007, Weingut Rabl, Kamptal
Aroma of overripe grapes and apricot mash tinged with dry fruitiness, pronounced juiciness with a good finish, tightly structured yet charming.

Red Wine

Blauer Zweigelt 2007, Weingut Nittnaus, Neusiedlersee, Hugelland
Ruby red, very fruity with a cherry note, slightly spicy, velvety on the palate, full-bodied, fruity through the finish.

Blaufrankish 2006, Weingut Prieler, Johanneshohe Burgenland
Blackberries, pepper, very fruity, elegant spice, classic, displays robust, bold structure on palate interlaced throughout with blackberry, full-bodied, long finish.

Dessert Wine

Kracher Cuvee Beerenauslese, Weinlaubenhof Kracher, Burgenland
Cuvee of Welschriesling and Chardonnay. Delicate nutty note, herbs, grapefruit, playfully fresh pear, elegant texture, mineral length.

Coffee

Welcome to the Viennese coffee house above the clouds! Experience pure pleasure and choose from a selection of the most popular Austrian coffee specialties.

Kleiner oder grosser Brauner
Delicious black coffee, rounded off with fresh coffee cream, served in a small or large cup.

Kleiner oder grosser Schwarzer
A short or large black coffee.

Wiener Melange
The classic Melange contains hot milk, foamed milk and black coffee.

Einspanner
This Viennese specialty made from black coffee is prepared with whipped cream and powdered sugar, served in a glass.

Franziskaner
We douse fine black coffee with foamed milk before adding whipped cream and cocoa powder.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Riyadh in transit

At the end of the airbridge there is a sign for transit with an arrow pointing in the opposite direction to immigration. This looks promising I think. However the only thing in that direction is another gate which is of course shut. So I head towards immigration.

There is a big atrium with a huge fountain in the middle of the terminal. The queue for immigration is behind the fountain. Not a fun place to be standing for a lengthy time if you need to go to the toilet. There are huge queues but moving much faster than I expected. After about 20 minutes it is my turn. Despite no common language between us I soon work out that I was supposed to have been met at the airbridge by an airline agent and to please wait to the side. The roving Austrian airline rep soon comes by, checks my details and admits he saw my connection but thought there must have been an error - no one would fly Vienna to Zurich via Riyadh. I guess he hasn't come across many FTers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.