One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Sigh - wish I was on that flight - could do with some SA time....
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by Markieg
Well put sir, +1 from me.
And the same for me - I have had some of my best ideas while flying. But at the moment I am in Melbourne at the Boxing Day Test at the MCG watching the Aussies taking to the South Africans.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:01 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by WellingtonFF
And the same for me - I have had some of my best ideas while flying. But at the moment I am in Melbourne at the Boxing Day Test at the MCG watching the Aussies taking to the South Africans.
OT I know, but we were severely dealt to by the South Africans today if KiwiFlyer is still in Joburg and wants a topic of conversation. One of the greatest days in South African cricket.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
If I was a bit more up to date with the report you'd know I am no longer in South Africa.

I have a slow connection here so not sure how much I'll get down while waiting for another flight.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:08 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

JOHANNESBURG to WINDHOEK (JNB-WDH) on British Airways operated by Comair 737-300 737-200 in economy class

The flight schedules by Comair (or for that matter by South African Airways) do not seem to readily allow for A-JNB-B same-day trips. Thus with just a few days in this part of the world and 4 segments up my sleeve on the DONE4 to visit 2 more countries, I had a choice of turnaround and stopover. I really would have preferred to stopover in Windhoek and turnaround at my next destination. However the schedules gave little margin for error and few alternative flights if something went wrong. A turnaround in Windhoek and stopover at the next destination is less likely to cause problems on my complicated itinerary.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the flights to Windhoek and back had been changed from 2-class 737-300 to 1-class 737-200. The first of many involuntary downgrades on this trip. I had also been moved from my pre-selected forward aisle seat to a middle of aircraft aisle seat. Not the kind of seat you want when doing a short turnaround.

Arriving at the airport to the usual long snakes of passengers queueing wall to wall. Fortunately the premium check in line at BA was short, I spent longer trying to fight my way through the masses than I did standing in that line. I asked to be moved forward and managed to shift a couple of rows forward but still further back than I'd like. I was directed to the ticket office to be compensated for the involuntary downgrade.

There was a short queue at ticket office, but despite half a dozen staff there was little movement - most of them were on the phone or talking with each other. Eventually it was my turn. I was offered a voucher for a token amount in Rand, to be redeemed at any BA office. The last time I was given vouchers by BA (for a significantly larger sum), the loss on value due to only being able to use on higher fares offline was a few times the value of this voucher. Hence I consider it essentially worthless. There was a couple who had also been downgraded and were also disappointed (stronger words used than that though!).

I asked if there were any other options such as flying South African in business class (for they had a flight departing in an hour). After some investigation and consultation with a supervisor the agent said I could be transferred to the later South African flight (departing in a few hours because there wasn't enough time to do the paperwork for the next flight), but no guarantee I could also fly South African coming back from Windhoek. Rather than deal with the aggravation, not wanting to risk being stranded at Windhoek and mindful that I'd already spent over an hour trying to sort this out, I declined. I asked about compensation for the return flight and was told I'd have to ask at Windhoek.

Security was fairly quick as was immigration. Then up to the lounge where I was directed to the business class side. Apparently OW emerald status does not get first class lounge access flying Comair.

The lounge is fairly new and quite good. It was very empty. I grabbed a coffee and hopped onto a computer to catch up on messages and do some of this report.

As the load was light (under 30) the boarding call was fairly close to departure. As expected we had a bus gate to a remote stand. There was a delay for some latecomers. A couple of people hopped off the bus and went back inside to get some water and food. They thought they had gotten left behind when the bus started moving without them. It was then I noticed quite a few passengers had food and drink with them, and I started wondering if I should have eaten in the lounge and grabbed some water. Oh, too late now. Besides, I vaguely remembered reading on FT that Comair catering was quite good.

We left for the aircraft quite a bit late. Onboard I found that despite the light load I didn't even have a blocked middle seat. However I was allowed to move to the empty seat number I'd originally been pre-allocated (on the 737-300).

No IFE other than a Horizons magazine which seemed to be the Comair equivalent of BA's High Life magazine. Phones are not allowed to be used in flight mode due to regulations.

Refreshments were an initial non-alcoholic drink, then a choice of chicken lasagne or vegetarian pasta (heavy on the cheese ), a small roll, and another round of drinks.

The initial cloud cover cleared by the time we passed over Gabaronne. For the most part the flight was smooth but on descent we had some slight thermal bumpiness. Eastern Namibia was a lot greener than I expected, with sandy riverbeds contrasting strongly against grasses and light bush.

Despite a flight time of about 90 minutes, the flight seemed to go by much more slowly. I was relaxed and letting my thoughts bounce around as if jumping from small puffy cloud to small puffy cloud seen out the window.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Windhoek

We left the aircraft by stairs and had a short walk across the apron to enjoy the 35C heat. As the airport is small and it does not get many flights I was surprised to see an international transfer desk to my right. However as it was abandoned and I was first into the terminal (thus no queue at immigration which I could see to my left), I decided instead to enter the country. Transitting or entering, I did not need a visa. If I had been able to check in at Johannesburg for the return flight I may have chanced my arm at transfers.

There are many different approaches to international transfers and it is always a bit of suck it and see as to what you'll get for somewhere unknown and infrequently reported on. Not many people do turnarounds in such exotic locales, but for those interested there is information on a growing number of places in the turnarounds and transits thread on FT. Anyway, not knowing the situation other than I had an hour according to the flight schedule, actually a little less given the delay out of Johannesburg, I had filled in the arrival card for Namibia. The immigration officer, however, was having none of it and waved me through without stamping the passport. With no bags to check I was straight out through customs, turn right and walked the handful of metres to check-in (yes it is a small terminal). Check in was of course deserted, it being well past cut-off time. The agent re-opened the flight for me and checked me in. I also filled out a form so that BA/Comair could be in touch about compensation, the airport staff not being authorised to do anything.

I was handed a lounge invite and proceeded to immigration. I was asked to fill in a departures card, despite my question of whether it was needed in transit. It seems with the only flight being our arrival one, the officer did not believe I really was in transit. Who would be crazy enough to fly in to Windhoek, enter the country and not 5 minutes later already be leaving the country? Really! After filling in a card and faced with the evidence the officer agreed I didn't need to fill it in after all, but she was very puzzled as to why anyone would do such a thing.

I've done international turnarounds in many countries (at least 30 I reckon) and the reaction in the countries further off the beaten track with few flights is nearly always the same. I much prefer the few minutes of honest questions and discussion to the accusatory stance taken in many supposedly more civilized countries.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 28, 2008 at 3:33 am
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

WINDHOEK to JOHANNESBURG (WDH-JNB) on British Airways operated by Comair 737-300 737-200 in economy class

The contract Obhoto lounge is quite nice. It was very quiet with myself and one other passenger, plus 3 staff. It has 1 computer with terribly slow dial-up connection (I think the last time I came across an airport lounge computer still on dial-up was when I was in Lahore a couple of years ago). There is a range of food and drink on offer. Sorry, I did not note the bubbles on offer. There is also a toilet and shower I think.

Boarding was called very shortly after I entered. With light load on the way in and again on the way out, the turnaround was completed quickly.

We had a couple of bumps after take-off but then smooth in a reverse of the flight in.

This time the food was a choice of vege or meat bun. No bubbles on board other than some beer.

On arrival at Johannesburg we had a delay waiting for the airbridge to connect. The airbridge operator was not satisfied with the alignment and spent about 15 minutes going backwards and forwards, each time giving the aircraft the familiar little push. Eventually we were let out and as I walked past the operator was still not happy.

A long walk to immigration. The first arrivals area seems to be for longhaul and the second for shorthaul. Thus we avoided the long queues from the several longhaul flights which landed before us and had an empty immigration. I was pleased to note I was not given a new entry sticker, just another stamp. Thus it seems the one sticker allows multiple entries within its 90 day validity.

By the time I got through my ride had just arrived.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Johannesburg again

With another forced overnight I was again staying at Hilton Sandton on a point stretcher. For reasons of flexibility I had booked as 2 separate stays. While the first stay was nice, the second was not.

I did not get an upgrade. No amenity. No breakfast. The shower dripped. Some toiletries were missing. At least one of the towels was dirty despite being folded up nicely ready for use. There was no hot water.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

JOHANNESBURG to MAURITIUS (JNB-MRU) on British Airways operated by Comair 737-300 in business class

Back at the airport. This time much earlier in the day and I barely had to pause at check in, security and immigration on my way to the lounge - no queues at any of them.

The load was moderate and I was glad to have pre-selected a C seat (aisle on the 2 seat side vs 3 seats on the other side).

We had a pre-departure juice or water. While taxiing out the cabin was sprayed "due to regulations".

When I boarded the seat pocket already had a newspaper plus a Horizons magazine which seems to be the Comair equivalent of BA's High Life.

After take-off we were given a pack of cards and a sudoku puzzle book, for there is no IFE and it is a reasonably long flight.

After a post departure non-alcoholic drink, "hot" towels were handed out. These were perfectly moist without being dripping wet but were rather cool (and not chilled cold). The towel had good texture but a bit on the small side. I don't know why but few airlines seem to do consistently a really good hot towel. Over the years I've had dripping wet, bone dry, course texture that feels bad on the skin, burning hot, lukewarm, etc.

A snack of a small avocado, capsicum and eggplant wrap was then handed out, but no extra drinks. Blankets were passed around before the meal tray was taken away - surely an awkward time to be doing this. After that the cabin crew disappeared behind the curtain in the galley for the next couple of hours, and came across as being annoyed whenever a passenger had the temerity to press their call button.

Well into the flight lunch was served. This consisted of a salad of prosciutto, lettuce, cherry tomato (singular), and soggy croutons. For mains there was a choice of vegetarian (noodles in thick sauce), beef or chicken. Warm roll. Then cheesecake or cheese plate. Finished off with a magnum bar. One round through with drinks. The chenin blanc was nice.

For the first part of the trip we had no views with morning cloud again blanketing the continent. When it cleared we were already out at sea. It took nearly an hour to cross Madagascar, which was not nearly as green as I expected from the movie, and later it clouded up again over Mauritius with just tantalising glimpses to be seen for the final 30 minutes over the island.

On landing we had a stand position, with a short wait for some stairs. Once down the stairs and in the hot sweltry sun, we had to wait for a buggy to move some containers near our path to the terminal. Meanwhile buses were ferrying passengers from an Emirates flight which landed before us, and the SA flight which somehow managed to land before us despite leaving Johannesburg later. There were no arrivals cards on board our flight so there was a rush to the counters to fill out the cards. I noted the length of the queues and speed which they were moving, and filled my form while waiting in line. I am not sure why most other passengers didn't think to do the same.

The arrival card had a couple of lines to list all countries in Africa, Asia and South America visited in the past 6 months. Needless to say there was nowhere near enough room for me and I put a few token ones in, unrandomly selected to reduce odds of questioning. I wasn't asked any questions but we all had to show our onward tickets. A short walk down past the little waterfall, past baggage claim, through the nothing to declare customs channel, past the various tour operators and outside where my ride was waiting for me.

Edited to add, I think the great circle map of the trip so far looks cool.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 28, 2008 at 11:48 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Mauritius

The island is a lot bigger than I expected. I'd booked a transfer the scenic way (cost me extra) and it took over 2 hours excluding stops to reach the Hilton in Flic en Flac. The direct route is about an hour.

Originally I'd booked with the new Intercontinental, which at the time was due to open beginning of December. A couple of months ago I noticed when logged into priority club that my booking reservation had changed from confirmed to held. Suspicions aroused I investigated and found out that the opening was still expected for Christmas. I had my doubts and so started looking for alternatives. Unfortunately at this time of year all the places recommended on various websites or by friends were requiring a minimum of 6 nights. After a while looking every day or so, one day I happened to notice the Hilton had rooms available without the minimum stay requirement at just the right dates for me, and they'd also discounted the normal rate quite heavily. I guess I got lucky with a brief drop in their bookings for just the right dates for me.

The drive to the hotel was nice. Nice lush countryside, more farmland/crops than bush though, beautiful little villages and some tiny lanes en route. The scattered jagged peaks made more foreboding by the dark shadows cast by swirling dark grey clouds at or near the peaks.

Checking in took about 45 minutes. I was seated and given a refreshing cold towel and iced mint drink while I waited, then got a spiel about where everything is on the resort, what activities where happening this evening and tomorrow, what is included in the rate versus extra charge. I had a lovely room (albeit standard here I think), at one end of the property, with nice view of the beach and gardens from the balcony. The room was well prepared with (frangipani?) blossoms everywhere, a filled bath with more blossoms and leaves, a welcome message in greenery, etc.

I had a fabulous short stay and checked out feeling refreshed despite my hectic schedule and rush to fit in sight-seeing and other activities.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Regular readers of my reports may have noticed a distinct lack of craziness in my itinerary so far. Each bit has been just a couple or so flights before an overnight stop. Where is the classic Kiwi Flyer madness? Here it comes - the next leg is a multi-day haul on several airlines, across 3 continents and plenty of countries.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MAURITIUS to JOHANNESBURG on British Airways operated by Comair 737-300 in business class

Mauritius airport has a premium passenger entranceway but it is rather pointless as it just leads into the open check in area. There was a short queue at check in. When it was my turn I was asked if I minded switching seats. I said sure as long as I still get a "C" seat (ie aisle on the 2-seat side of the aircraft), which I'd pre-selected. I gathered that was not possible as the matter was quickly dropped.

I was given a couple of boarding passes, and was asked if the seats were okay because one was a window and the other an aisle. I replied yes, those are my preferred seats I'd pre-selected. I was given a lounge invite card. For departure card I grabbed one at a desk in front of immigration, where I noticed most of the forms where arrival ones (why?). I quickly filled it in and was soon through immigration and security and on to the lounge.

The lounge is the airport operated VIP lounge. Both the name and operator do not match the details written on the invite card for some reason. Inside there are a couple of computers on a slow connection and some chairs, and a lower level with food, drink, toilets, showers and more chairs. Sorry, I forgot to check what bubbles were on offer.

Boarding was delayed until the time of gate close printed on the boarding pass, and the gate was changed even though there are only 4 gates. With the passageway being shared between arriving and departing passengers, and a few flights arriving and departing in a short space of time, I was not surprised by the short delay.

The flight was reasonably full but not as much as I'd expected from the availability data in recent days and weeks. We boarded by stairs with a short walk across the apron. Boarding was completed quickly but there was a delay due to some problem with the rear toilets. That was sorted and we pushed back half an hour late.

Despite being asked to move at check in, the cabin was not full and it did not appear any couples or families were being separated. So I assume they found someone else to move.

One of the ladies sitting in front of me had an enormous handbag. She was pretty small (less than 5 feet) and the "handbag" seemed to be half her size (very nearly the same size as my small rollaboard!). I don't get this.

A sudoku booklet, different edition to the one on the flight over, and pack of cards were sitting on the seat already.

Overhead bin space in the front row is at a premium due to the several styrofoam boxes used to carry some chilled foods for the return flights from Johannesburg to Mauritius.

We had a pre-departure juice, water or sparkling wine (sorry I didn't get the name but it was South African).

After departure was a perfect hot towel, and a drink plus packet of mixed nuts. Then dinner was served - a salad, warm roll, choice of chicken vege or fish, coffee cream & chocolate for dessert. There were no drink top ups, and once again the cabin crew spent most of the flight hiding behind the curtain in the galley

The fasten seat belt sign came on for a short while over the western coast of Madagascar as we manouevred around some thunderstorms, and again briefly near the African coastline. Each time, the light & chime seemed to be a signal for a rush to the toilets - before the chime no-one visiting the loo, after several people all urgently trying to relieve themselves as if they may be stuck in their seats for the rest of the flight.

We arrived about 20 minutes late.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Regular readers of my reports may have noticed a distinct lack of craziness in my itinerary so far. Each bit has been just a couple or so flights before an overnight stop. Where is the classic Kiwi Flyer madness? Here it comes - the next leg is a multi-day haul on several airlines, across 3 continents and plenty of countries.
Well to most people your non Kiwi Madness is considered madness so some may not have noticed.

Looks like I will be following in your footsteps in a couple of weeks. I am flying the SYD-JNB route as the last leg of my RTW. Of course I will be doing it in the manner to which I have become most accustomed; in the nose of the 747.

Your description of Mauritius brings back memories for me. Those craggy peaks with the clouds swirling were very mysterious.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hopefully your SYD-JNB flight is not also downgraded to 2-class. My disappointment in not being able to upgrade pales in comparison with feelings when involuntarily downgraded.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Johannesburg

We had a stand position with bus to the terminal. But first there was 15 minutes of standing around in the aisles waiting for the operator of the stairs to be happy with the alignment. I wonder if it is the same guy as we had with the airbridge a few days prior? Being at the front of the aircraft meant I got on the first bus. Those seated near the rear had a further wait for a second bus.

I had an onward boarding pass so could go directly to transfer security. Those without an onward boarding pass have to get one from transit desk and are held there in the interim. My suggestion is do not book a long connection at JNB unless you are flying on South African as otherwise you may have to wait around for the relevant airline to open their transfer desk.

Up to the lounge where I was welcomed into the First class side. The champagne on offer was Veuve Clicquot (which is business class bubbly on some airlines). I had a couple of glasses before deciding the group of kids on the computers were going nowhere fast and so decamped to the Business class side. FYI champagne there is Grosset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.