Search

One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
In transit in Buenos Aires

Off the airbridge into the very warm terminal, and an airport staff person was directing passengers to either immigration or international transfers. The Qantas flights are scheduled in both directions to connect with BA's flight to/from London Heathrow via Sao Paulo. It seems there are a reasonable number of connecting passengers both from our flight, and also the BA flight which arrived before us. The guy was unhappy with my response to his question of where am I transferring to and wanted to hold me up for questioning. After being polite for some moments I then left him as I didn't want to hold up other transferring passengers who were being blocked.

We had pulled into gate 3 so a moderate walk around the outside of most of the terminal to transfers past gate 10. A xray machine. No need to remove belt, shoes or liquid baggy. The American in front of me was unconvinced when I suggested he did not need to remove those things Through the WTMD and off to the nearby Admirals Club.

I grabbed a couple of coffees while I waited for one of the two computers to become free. I wandered around the lounge and quickly ascertained that it had not improved since I was previously here. Still no shower. Still a dungy washroom. Still a miserable food and drink offering - no real food, no real drink, and the coffee tasted funny. Lots of chairs jammed in with no personal space once the lounge filled up, as it did. Not many amenities - a couple of Argentinian newspapers and magazines, a couple of tvs.

A computer became free and I hopped on to check my email. Almost instantly another person sat down in the chair behind me and starting huffing and moaning to his mate about people hogging the computer. Good grief - I just got on it. About 10 or so minutes later he asked if I was going to be long, made a big song and dance to bully me off, and then complained to the nice lounge agent to get me bounced. I must say it left a sour taste, and I was unable to send all the messages I needed to as a result.

I read some more and drank some more coffee. When the lounge became mostly full I decided to leave and stretch my legs by doing some laps around the busy terminal.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:57 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
[In the hundreds of times I have flown across the Pacific I have never flown across the South Pacific to or from South America (treating Easter Island as part of South America for this purpose). Other than my flightseeing trip to Antarctica I have never flown close to the frozen continent. Today I will be doing both - check out the great circle route (the other far southern routes are show for comparison purposes).
Enjoying this report as always.

Based on the above, I guess we were pretty fortunate a couple of years ago on SYD-JNB. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=36
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Gardyloo - I remember that. The map only shows the great circle route (which is shortest distance ignoring all practicalities). The actual flown route can deviate due to wind conditions. Indeed flying westward on the return we were a long way south of the great circle route.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Sydney to Buenos Aires
November 2008

Lunch

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. You can choose the full menu after take-off or our Express meal is available at any time.

Entrée

Salad of King Prawns with White Beans and Serrano Ham

Main Courses

Green Curry of Kingfish with Jasmine Rice and Snow Peas

Roast Herb and Ricotta Chicken with Yam Puree and Wilted Spinach

Beef Fillet with Red Wine Jus, Potato Gratin and Green Beans

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Dessert

Seasonal cheese hand-selected by Calendar Cheese Company served with accompaniments

Nice Cream Pistachio and Strawberry Ice Cream with Spiced Strawberries

Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona Chocolates

Paton's Macadamia Chocolates

Express Dinner

To assist in providing you with a flexible dining experience, choose the following menu as an express meal after take-off or nominate your preferred time to dine later in the flight.

Zucchini and Basil Soup with Parmesan

Salad of King Prawns with White Beans and Serrano Ham

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Refreshment

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to prepare your selection or simply snack from our inflight bar.

Toasted Flat Bread with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Eggplant Relish and Rocket

Toasted Baguette with Poached Chicken, Pesto, Fontina and Herb Roasted Tomatoes

or

Create your own toasted sandwich from the following selection

Italian Flat Bread or Sourdough Baguette with :

Smoked Salmon
Yalla Eggplant Relish
Poached Chicken
Herb Roasted Tomatoes
Cream Cheese
Baby Rocket Leaves
Fontina
Pesto

Fresh Whole Fruit

Mother Meg's Chocolate Chip Biscuit

Cheese and Biscuits

Chocolate Bars

Breakfast

To assist in maximising your rest, a pre-ordered Breakfast is available. Simply complete the Breakfast order card for collection by your Flight Attendant.

Beverages

Champagne

Qantas is proud to feature Premium Non-Vintage Champagne from the most respected houses in France.

Australian Wine

We invite you to view our range of world-class wines and accompanying tasting notes in the Qantas Inflight Guide to Wine, found in seat pockets.

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%

Tanqueray London Dry Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8º Bourbon

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortified

Penfolds Bluestone 10yo Tawny

Baileys of Glenrowan Founder Liqueur Muscat

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J17_SYD_EZE_NOV08

Breakfast

Simply complete this card and hand to your Flight Attendant to pre-order Breakfast.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Peach Energiser Drink
Toast
Croissant
Bowan Island Bakery Date and Walnut Muffin
Strawberry Jam
Honey
Orange Marmalade
Vegemite
Fruit Salad
with Yoghurt
Brookfarm Toasted Muesli
with Full Cream Milk
with Low Fat Milk

Hot Selection

Scrambled Eggs
Free Range Pork Sausages
Grilled Bacon
Potato Cakes
Tomato and Basil Ragout
Sweet Onion Relish

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Chamomile
Peppermint

Milk
Full Cream Milk
Low Fat Milk

Sugar
Sugar
Low Calorie Sweetener

Hot Chocolate

Hot and cold beverages are available at any time during your flight.

Express Breakfast

A warmed Bowan Island Bakery Date and Walnut Muffin served with your choice of a hot beverage.

If I am sleeping, please do not wake me to dine.

J17_SYD_BREAKFAST_NOV08
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Buenos Aires to Sydney
November 2008

Lunch

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. You can choose the full menu after take-off or our Express meal is available at any time.

Entrée

Salad of Prosciutto and Artichokes with Caper Dressing

Main Courses

Seared Sea Bass with Herb Butter, Creamed Corn and Asparagus

Chicken Schnitzel with New Potatoes and Roast Carrots

Argentinean Style Chimichurri Beef with Sauteed Vegetables

Green Leaf Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Dessert

Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Dried Fruit

Apple and Lemon Cake with Creme Anglaise

Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolates

Selection of Chocolates

Express Dinner

To assist in providing you with a flexible dining experience, choose the following menu as an express meal after take-off or nominate your preferred time to dine later in the flight.

French Onion Soup with Gruyere Toast

Salad of Prosciutto and Artichokes with Caper Dressing

Green Leaf Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Refreshment

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to prepare your selection or simply snack from our inflight bar.

Spinach Empanadas

or

Create your own toasted sandwich from the following selection

Panini or Baguette with :

Roast Chicken
Char Grilled Zucchini
Tuna Mayonnaise
Dill Pickles
Asiago Cheese
Semi Dried Tomatoes
Provolone
Radicchio Leaves

Fresh Whole Fruit

Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits

Chocolate Bars

Light Dinner

Main Courses

A large bowl of Chorizo and Borlotti Bean Soup

Seared Salmon in Tomato Tarragon Sauce with Steamed Vegetables

Chicken Cacciatore with Pan Fried Polenta and Broccolini

Green Leaf Salad with Feta and Red Capsicum

Dessert

Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Dried Fruit

Baked Prune and Armagnac Tart with Cream

Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolates

A selection of Chocolates

Beverages

Champagne

Qantas is proud to feature Premium Non-Vintage Champagne from the most respected houses in France.

Australian Wine

We invite you to view our range of world-class wines and accompanying tasting notes in the Qantas Inflight Guide to Wine, found in seat pockets.

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Tanqueray London Dry Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Whisky

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortified

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J18_EZE_SYD_NOV08
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

BUENOS AIRES to SYDNEY (EZE-SYD) on Qantas 747-400ER in business class

Boarding was called for first, business, emerald and sapphire passengers, and I joined the scrummage at the gate. There was a security check in between the gate doors and the airbridge, however in my case this consisted of opening the main part of my carry on and closing it immediately. No rummaging, no checking any other sections of my bag. I guess they've been told by QF/Australia that there must be a check so they are performing to the letter not the spirit.

Anyway, I stowed my bag and watched the aircraft fill up as I supped on pre-departure drink. It wasn't totally full, but fairly full. This time I had no spare seat so most of the guff ended up in the overhead bin. There really isn't a lot of by seat storage options in the QF skybed, unless you happen to be in an upper deck window seat.

We looked to be ready at departure time until an announcement was made that we were waiting on a couple of connecting passengers. After 20 minutes or so another announcement was made that we now had everyone but there were visa issues to sort out for a number of passengers, which is now down to less than 10. Close to an hour after scheduled departure the doors shut and we pushed back.

My mental arithmetic worked out quickly there was now a potential misconnection. My booking had an hour to make the onward flight from Sydney, which was the last flight of the day. From the flight over I anticipated that we may not make up much time en route (faster than scheduled eastbound so likely slow westbound). However, past experience on the specific onward flight had taught me that it is often held up to an hour for late connecting passengers. So there is a risk but not much I could do about it. Nonetheless, as I had an important meeting I would miss if I misconnected I couldn't help but fret a bit.

Some may think it irresponsible to have such a tight schedule. However it wasn't planned this way and I had considered alternatives. Had a delay been known while still in the airport, or had the delay onboard gotten much longer, then I could have instead asked to switch to another routing from Buenos Aires that would still get me to my ultimate destination in time for the meeting and also had seats available (which I'd checked when on the lounge computer). Getting off a flight when you've already boarded is not necessarily easy, but it can be done and I've done just that in the past in similar circumstances. Thus I felt it was a managed risk and no point worrying unduly.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Another long all daylight flight. However, as this time we are chasing the sun it is not quite as unusual although still probably one of the longest ones at 15 1/2 hours duration.

This time there were clearer views of Patagonia and the Chilean fjords. It looked nice and reminded me very much of the southwestern parts of New Zealand. Then the blinds were all drawn to help those passengers who wanted to sleep. I didn't want to sleep due to wanting to keep my body clock right for the next day's meeting, and instead distracted myself with some drink, some movies, some drink, some papers, some drink, some music, some drink, chatting, some more drink.

This time some passengers and crew were aware that we'd have a shot at seeing Antarctica and blinds were lifted throughout much of the cabin from time to time to sneak a peek.

We passed south of the great circle route and thus more along the edge of Antarctica than the flight out. However the views were not as good with a lot of cloud and just some patches where the cloud cleared enough to see the snow, ice, water and odd bit of mountain below.

Our journey passed by in a blur. Most people who don't travel much ask if I get bored with lots of flying, or find the long flights tiring. I do not. I am used to flying and can easily find myself blissfully zoned out, with or without the assistance of drink. Sometimes I can do some clear thinking and come up with brilliant off the wall ideas. Other times I just think about nothing in particular other than enjoying the rest. When I explain it to others, such as the incredulous customs officer later, they do not understand. Mere words cannot convey my feelings and thoughts.

I expected a bumpy ride across the Tasman, for the last few hours into Sydney, however the air was relatively smooth. An hour before landing I enquired about my onward connection as it was abundantly clear that without the flight being held I would not make it. The flight attendant checked it out and came back with "we have no specific information but don't worry you'll be put up in a hotel in Sydney and be rebooked at no charge". Hmmm, not exactly what I was looking for.

It seems I was not the only passenger enquiring for no sooner had he said that than an announcement was made that connecting passengers should check with ground staff on arrival - some flights will be held, and others will be rebooked.

We landed just a few minutes before the scheduled departure time of my next flight. During the taxi an update was given for connecting passengers. I, and others on my flight, were to rush to another gate (the number was given), but those flying onto Perth had already been rebooked onto tomorrow's flight and were instructed to contact ground staff (presumably for hotel, taxi and food arrangements).
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in updating. Qantas has had major schedule changes which have caused 7 tickets to have impossible connections (onward flight departs 1-3 hours before I arrive). This has taken me a while to resolve. Back to the report.

SYDNEY to AUCKLAND (SYD-AKL) on Qantas 767-300 in business class domestic configuration

I rushed off the aircraft and dashed for transfer security. I needn't have bothered as being the only passenger there I was "randomly" selected to get the extra treatment grrr. I could hear my name (and some other names) being paged and pointed this out to security but to no avail. They could care less if their checks were holding up the flight for everyone else.

Once done I rushed upstairs and to the gate and was indeed one of the last to board. I understand the crew were in a hurry to depart, but the service was disappointing. I was offered a water (but no juice or bubbles), but was not offered some other usual pre-departure amenities - newspaper, DVD menu, etc. It took 15 minutes or so to complete the paperwork and then doors closed and we pushed back late.

I had one of the very few spare seats beside me so room to stretch out. Although by now I was very tired so after nibbling at dinner mains I dozed for the rest of the relatively short flight. We had decent tail winds and arrived less than 20 minutes late, at the gate at the end of the pier ... to maximise our long walk to immigration. I power walked down the pier which was suprisingly empty of passengers for this time of night (with lots of flights from Australia plus a couple of longhauls). However, on reaching arrivals duty free the reason became apparent - with longish queues stretching out from the immigration desks into the shop.

The long queues were in part caused by poor line management, with the snake only being used right at the front and thereafter a straight line back to the shop. The queues, while long, were moving very fast ... at a continuous slow walk, because most passengers are Kiwis or Australians of little interest to immigration.

I could tell I was in for secondary when I reached the desk, and so it proved. This is never fun at the best of times, and at this late hour (now past midnight) and tired I was not looking forward to it. At secondary I had a long wait despite only 1 other person of interest waiting before me. Then I spent well over an hour being questioned and bag searched before being allowed to leave. Grrr. By now it was past 2am and I was incredibly tired and grumpy. Fortunately the last of the taxis had not yet left because another flight was running late (normally the cabs are all gone 30 minutes after the arrival of the last flight). At this hour traffic was light but there were some roadworks and detours, so the trip into the city took 40 minutes instead of 25. En route I pondered the day ahead with my 5am wakeup call
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Australia to New Zealand
November 2008

Menu

From The Bar

Marinated Olives

Roasted Nuts

Main Courses

Thai Duck Curry accompanied with Jasmine Rice and Asian Greens
Served with Goat Cheese, Tomato and Baby Spinach Appetiser

Lightly Smoked Lamb Loin Cutlets accompanied with Caramelised Onions, Potato Gratin and Root Vegetables
Served with Goat Cheese, Tomato and Baby Spinach Appetiser

Salad of East Coast King Prawns, Coleslaw and Mesclun Salad
Served with Fresh Fruit

Warm Bakery

Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Fruit

Ice Cream and Biscotti

Chocolates

Beverages

Champagne

Australian and New Zealand Wine

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Tanqueray London Dry Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Malt Scotch Whisky

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortified

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J_TAS_MM_3_5_AUS-NZ_SUM08
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thus ends part 1 on a low note after such a nice start (and middle). Hopefully part 2 (coming soon) will be better.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

My rotten luck with this trip continues. 2 more flights have been downgraded to economy, making 13 flights (across 2 airlines) that no longer offer business class when that is what has been purchased.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hey thanks for the report Kiwi Flyer especially the menus. I look forward to my first experience of flying QF in June on the EZE-SYD route in J.
Our preferred connection on to AKL from SYD was deemed too short so we have to overnight in SYD before the hop over to AKL.

We live about 100 miles out from EZE and flights from the south fly over the house but I've yet to see the QF 747, must keep looking out for it.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'll wave out the window when I'm back in your neck of the woods later this year.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

More than 3 weeks on the ground and I'm anxious about being grounded for so long. With such a slow 6 months of travel (well by my standards at least, to non-FTers 120k flown miles is a lot), I am particularly excited about the travel ahead. Yes, it is finally time to fly, fly away once more.

I expect I'll finish the year with over 350k flown miles. That is a lot of flying, but significantly less than the past couple of years. As this trip has already had lots of changes and there may yet be more twists to come, I have not yet updated my stats in the 2008 travel year in review thread.

I have a lot to look forward to. A nice break after a crazy few months. Hopefully a nice upgrade will clear. Some long flights on premium airline. A couple of new products that have recently been launched. Fly a couple of new airlines. See the inside of London T5 terminal for the first time. New places, countries and people. Burn off the rest of my Hilton HHonors points and get status benefits for possibly the last time. Start the next membership year with a good bunch of miles and points.

I imagine I'll drink some champagne somewhere along the track.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Qantas 767-300 in business class domestic configuration

The next part of the trip did not get off to a great start, with the usual last minute rush to get everything done. You know, unimportant things like washing, packing, finding where I'd put my passport, discovering I had missed getting a Christmas present and running around at 1am trying to find something decent, getting home to find not only had I not wrapped the other presents but I had no wrapping paper, sending out those reports promised, finding where I'd put my paper ticket, oh and trying to nab a couple of hours sleep.

Getting drenched by a downpour on my way to an early meeting did not help my mood.

So I was glad to notice it was time to head off once more, and relax in the knowledge that everything can wait for a couple of weeks. Traffic was so-so, but not as bad as I expected given many people have already finished work and now travelling for their holidays or out and about Christmas shopping.

Outside the international terminal was a huge pile of bags being loaded into a few trucks. I guess one or more flights had an issue transferring bags from connecting flights. I couldn't tell which airline(s) they bags related to.

Inside the premium check in was a small queue. However everyone in front of me seemed to have some issue at check in and so it took almost half an hour just to reach the counter. The agent checked my carry on for weight and was happy with it being just 8kg. Four boarding passes were printed out quickly, but there was a slight delay as she reprinted them on business class boarding pass stock and also checked with her colleague whether to get all the relevant coupons of my paper ticket or whether to keep just the AKL-SYD one and staple the others to their boarding pass. The answer, as I already knew in respect of Qantas, was to take all of them. It is funny how different airlines have different systems - some will staple, others not even remove the coupon from the ticket preferring instead that they be removed at the subsequent airports. I guess in future I'll have less opportunity to observe such trivialities given paper tickets are being phased out. That said I've had a few issued since the supposed 100% e-ticketing came in earlier this year and still have a couple more to use.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.