Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
I saw some fellow passengers with the old thin boarding passes. Wonder where they got those if quick check machine now spits out something different?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I may have missed it, but do you have photos? we would love to see photos of the planes & food!
Sorry I don't do pictures.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:50 pm

If you were using your card (rather than your ePass) would the machine not automatically give you a boarding pass?

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I saw some fellow passengers with the old thin boarding passes. Wonder where they got those if quick check machine now spits out something different?
The plot thickens...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Domestic transfer desk at AKL international terminal still gives the old boarding passes (I received one last Saturday).
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

DUNEDIN to MELBOURNE (DUD-MEL) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy class with space+

There was no one manning check in so I popped back upstairs to the lounge, where I caught up on some messages.

I later left my carry-on in the lounge and went downstairs to check in. This was done quickly and I soon had 2 more boarding passes. Back up to the lounge for a quick drink before boarding was called. The call was made late, to allow the queues at security and immigration to clear. First I had a short detour to pay the NZ$25 departure fee at the bank (counter opens 90 minutes before departure).

Next stop to get the stamp on the departure fee sticker () then security, then immigration. A couple of questions about why such a short trip before the penny drops with the officer that she's processed me before. At the holding pen I realise I needn't have rushed. There is no sign that boarding is imminent other than that all passengers are at the gate.

About a quarter of an hour later we board. Grrr, loss of drinking (I mean lounge) time.

The load is higher than I expected given there were still rather cheap seats available for sale just this morning. Indeed no empty middle seat for me, although there are several scattered throughout the space+ zone.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

We departed late due to the late boarding, but were advised we will still arrive on time as the usual strong headwinds are absent.

I'd hoped to get a view of the Southern Alps as we fly over them, but all the passengers near me in window seats pulled down their blinds.

The service was poor, one of the worst I've experienced on Air NZ, with none of the usual touches I've come to expect as an elite pax flying in economy. No personal greeting. No newspaper. No offer to move to a business class seat (there were no passengers at all in business class, even with economy service this would have been a welcome relief as the three of us in my row were all big). No express arrival cards for immigration. Only one drinks round the entire flight. Indeed as we commenced descent into Melbourne an announcement was made apologising for the lack of hot drinks as they'd run out of time (on a 3 1/2 hour flight!).

A disappointment on this flight which is the 105th and final current Air NZ route flown by me (plus several routes no longer operated).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 18, 2008 at 12:50 pm
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MELBOURNE to AUCKLAND (MEL-AKL) on Air New Zealand A320 in business class

We had a slow taxi into the end gate of the pier. A long walk to and through the duty free shop to the sign for international transfer only to find a locked door. Unlike other airports with locked transfer doors (such as Manchester or Auckland in the middle of the night), there is no buzzer or phone, nor a manned desk to assist. I headed over to immigration to find someone to open it up for me. I was told to go back to the door and he'd arrange for someone to open up. Fifteen minutes later there was no sign of the door being opened.

There was one other person waiting with me, and she was as unimpressed as I was. Neither of us could think of another international airport with such a shoddy set up. After some more time waiting, by now I was wondering about my odds of making the onward flight. We found another officer who spent the next five minutes waiting to see if anyone else needed a transit and berating the airlines for somehow stuffing up.

Finally in the departure area I rushed to security. I was through in seconds and ran to the end of the pier. Boarding hadn't started so I headed down to the lounge in the dungeons (ground floor), where I was told the flight will be boarding a few minutes late. The agent did not recognise my boarding pass, which was one of the skinny ones issued at regional airports in New Zealand. I got it reissued because the one I had will not scan at the gate here. It is a pain, but I have to do this fairly often on same day return trips across the Tasman.

I grabbed a quick shower and boarding was called just as I was coming out.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

This flight was full, which did not surprise me in the least having switched from a 777. I was disappointed, for the shorthaul business class on A320 is a far cry from the longhaul business class on 777. My disappointment was compounded inside when I saw it was an A320 which did not yet have AVOD installed. None of the DVDs in the limited library appealed, so I prepared to snooze & booze for much of the flight instead.

My flight passed in a bit of a blur. We arrived rather late due to a lack of strong tailwinds, and the late boarding at Melbourne. On arrival at Auckland we got the far end gate (number 10) so quite a trek to immigration. We were so late that walking through arrivals duty free to reach immigration we had to navigate our way past the roped off corridor as they were cleaning. No questions at immigration or customs and I was soon landside. A bit of a wait for a cab as they'd disappeared and had to be called.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Air New Zealand
Business Class menu
Australia to New Zealand
November 2008

Dinner

Starter

Kawakawa and chilli seasoned tuna with baby greens and curry oil

Main Course

Pan seared rosemary scented lamb loin with golden kumara gratin, crushed minted peas and paprika butter

Grilled salmon fillet, dill seasoned saffron cream sauce, buttered spinach and sage infused gnocchi

Sauteed basil marinated prawns on karengo potato salad with char grilled capsicum and rocket

Dessert

Rhubarb and macadamia crumble with vanilla bean anglaise cream

OR

Gourmet dessert of gingernut and strawberry ice cream

Cheese Plate

Fine regional cheese and preserved fruit

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer – from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harré, nationally recognised wine judge.

The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to complement today’s menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

C2DE_FROZ_OCT08
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Simply amazing! Kiwi Flyer, I always enjoy checking in on your travels, and you've really outdone yourself this time. You're definitely due for a nice long flight in International First Class at the very least. Here's wishing you continued happy contrails ^^
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
You're definitely due for a nice long flight in International First Class at the very least. Here's wishing you continued happy contrails ^^
Thanks. I have a nice 14 hour longhaul flight next month that I have high hopes for a successful upgrade. Business looks oversold and first currently is almost empty. To improve my odds rather than play the op-up lottery I have put in a mileage upgrade request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.